• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Fixed.

Actually, question: what are your controls like when spacing out aerials defensively? I want to be better at fading back and hitting with Mewtwo, but it's so hard for me to jump and then transition to the C-stick, but my spacing falters otherwise. Thoughts?

Imperitive for some characters. I play nearly all my characters with the c-stick set to tilt now so that I can use the c stick while in the air without losing momentum in my direction. It's safer than air dodging. There is no short cut, you will have to be quicker about moving you thumb to the c-stick when needed.

I've really changed a big portion of my game with Ness because of this change.

TWILT

Banned
Twilt how many Shulk mains were there? There were absolutely none on the streams.

Besides me? I think I saw one play in my pools though we didn't play each other. I checked the Shulk boards and apparently I was the only Shulk main that got out of pools? >_<

Absolutely zero Mewtwos though. I actually saw Ryu more than him lol (one of the players in my pools didn't know he was banned and was forced to switch after the first round which he lost anyway).

GGs Shamrock, but I've still got a long way to go if I could only take one match off you. Sheik has a very high skill floor, but I think I'm overcoming that challenge quickly. Probably could've taken a few matches if I just knew how to seal the deal on you, but it seemed like all my killing blows always came up short. :( Oh well, at least I know I can do it!

Well what I noticed was you still don't have the timing down to kill out of a throw, so when I got to higher percentages I would shield a lot more not caring if you grabbed me. Work on being quicker with that uair. If they continue to dodge it, use your upb out of the throw instead and it will catch them after they air dodge

Imperitive for some characters. I play nearly all my characters with the c-stick set to tilt now so that I can use the c stick while in the air without losing momentum in my direction. It's safer than air dodging. There is no short cut, you will have to be quicker about moving you thumb to the c-stick when needed.

I've really changed a big portion of my game with Ness because of this change.
Do you swap to the C-stick every time you jump?

I was surprised to find out that Hungrybox uses tap jump so he doesn't have to push the jump button. I tried it, and it was good except for when I needed to do something besides be in the air. :p

Besides me? I think I saw one play in my pools though we didn't play each other. I checked the Shulk boards and apparently I was the only Shulk main that got out of pools? >_<

Absolutely zero Mewtwos though. I actually saw Ryu more than him lol (one of the players in my pools didn't know he was banned and was forced to switch after the first round which he lost anyway).
That makes you the best Shulk on Smashboards. ;-)

Poor Mewtwo. :-(

Well that's also true, but I wasn't expecting to see any in the first place lol

Edit: wow banned character was used and mewtwo wasn't?

Dead
*nod of acceptance*

Well what I noticed was you still don't have the timing down to kill out of a throw, so when I got to higher percentages I would shield a lot more not caring if you grabbed me. Work on being quicker with that uair. If they continue to dodge it, use your upb out of the throw instead and it will catch them after they air dodge

Yeah, Sheik is very strict regarding opportunities, I have to just take it otherwise it's already gone. :( I tried to catch you with the Vanish but I'd always miss, I'm not good at aiming it yet I guess.

Her frame data's really friggin good, but that's no help if my fingers aren't keeping up. :O

Edit: I don't know how you hold your controller Karst, but I have my c-stick set to tilt and I position my right hand so I have my middle finger on R and Z, index finger on Y to jump, and my thumb moves between A, B, or the C-stick when needed. This way I can jump and aerial as quick as I can. :)

Fandangox

I wonder if they will buff Mewtwo next patch, the Martcina, Ike, and to a lesser extend Falco buff makes it seem they are getting the grasp of it, but then again, they nerfed Samus.

I wonder if they will buff Mewtwo next patch, the Martcina, Ike, and to a lesser extend Falco buff makes it seem they are getting the grasp of it, but then again, they nerfed Samus.
Mewtwo got a small buff last patch, so maybe.

Samus also got a small buff last patch...so...maybe!

I've got one more in me Nami. Gotta eat before its tomorrow.

GGs. Sorry again for earlier. You're a bit late on eating, because it is already Wednesday. But all you PST timezone people are stuck in the past, so you won't admit it!

I did have fun when we swapped characters. Kinda like NamikazeBurst vs. Anonymous Tipster, but jankier. I don't like fighting Mega Man with anyone but Yoshi. Lucario doesn't have time to charge, and you just juggle me around with your normal moves. Actually, Toon Link does decently, I just need to get good with him. Mario is actually a lot of fun to play. He is like Luigi, but can't kill as easily in exchange for being easier to punish with.

And yes, the Yoshi dittos were helpful. The only way to beat a nair is a nair, and Yoshi can only roll back when he is jab locked in shield. Hard to kill Yoshi with an aerial because he can dodge a fair spike easily, and uair can be predicted and beaten with dair or down-B. I might just need a different character for if I ever have to seriously fight a Yoshi.

I did have fun when we swapped characters. Kinda like NamikazeBurst vs. Anonymous Tipster, but jankier.

Oh boy, not me man. My Yoshi's too sloppy to deal with the projectiles. If I could aim eggs from the air as well as you, it'd be easier, but since my Yoshi is just straight aggression, it was shield grab city for me.

Oh boy, not me man. My Yoshi's too sloppy to deal with the projectiles. If I could aim eggs from the air as well as you, it'd be easier, but since my Yoshi is just straight aggression, it was shield grab city for me.

It is the only way to deal with your Mega Man. Otherwise I get grabbed a lot, and then I have to dodge Uair, which isn't fun. I am terrible with Mega Man's projectiles. I was just throwing them out there, if they hit I was lucky, if they didn't I threw them again. I accidentally started up a Fsmash out of shield a lot, when I wanted neutral A.

Maverick must be right about Mega Man playing like a Mega Man game. I sucked at the minutes of my life I have played Mega Man, so I suck with Mega Man :)

To answer your earlier question Karsticles, I am going to play the SFV beta. I had to email Amazon for my code today. I am going to probably be one of the worst players online, though. My most experience in SF is the 3DS version of SFIV, and that had automatic special moves.

Banzai

hey guys, ive been getting back into smash these past few days and i would like to actually get better at it now. I mostly play Villager, Shulk and Pikachu, sometimes ZSS.

I use the c-stick for smash attacks and almost never use jab/tilt attacks, do you think it's worth it to switch the c-stick to jabs and to relearn how to use smash attacks? Im really used to it already.

how does DI work, exactly? a guide i read said to move the control stick (they mean the stick you move with, right?) during the short hitstun of an attack, but i feel like that doesnt make any difference. somewhat related to that, i never remember to tech a landing.

i also usually forget to get some more damage in when grabbing someone because im afraid of them freeing themselves. at what percentage can i reliably get a few hits in?

i know the basic up-throw-thunder combo from pikachu, any other easy ones i should know?

help a noob out!

Yeah, Sheik is very strict regarding opportunities, I have to just take it otherwise it's already gone. :( I tried to catch you with the Vanish but I'd always miss, I'm not good at aiming it yet I guess.

Her frame data's really friggin good, but that's no help if my fingers aren't keeping up. :O

Edit: I don't know how you hold your controller Karst, but I have my c-stick set to tilt and I position my right hand so I have my middle finger on R and Z, index finger on Y to jump, and my thumb moves between A, B, or the C-stick when needed. This way I can jump and aerial as quick as I can. :)
I don't have freaks hands. :(

Unless I know for sure I am going to need to use the B/Special button or neutral air, or I am doing a very quick move, yea, I pretty much switch to the c-stick as quickly as possible.
It's hard because if they back off, I want to Shadow Ball charge, not aerial.

It is the only way to deal with your Mega Man. Otherwise I get grabbed a lot, and then I have to dodge Uair, which isn't fun. I am terrible with Mega Man's projectiles. I was just throwing them out there, if they hit I was lucky, if they didn't I threw them again. I accidentally started up a Fsmash out of shield a lot, when I wanted neutral A.

Maverick must be right about Mega Man playing like a Mega Man game. I sucked at the minutes of my life I have played Mega Man, so I suck with Mega Man :)

To answer your earlier question Karsticles, I am going to play the SFV beta. I had to email Amazon for my code today. I am going to probably be one of the worst players online, though. My most experience in SF is the 3DS version of SFIV, and that had automatic special moves.
Cool. I can help you if you want.

Boney

Banned
Samus got a buff on up smash, it kills like 20% earlier now, at around 110, and the hits connect better (it still drops people too often). She got a HUGE nerf in the Mewtwo patch though, when they completely botched her ftilt which went from one of the best in the game to one of the worsts.

hey guys, ive been getting back into smash these past few days and i would like to actually get better at it now. I mostly play Villager, Shulk and Pikachu, sometimes ZSS.

I use the c-stick for smash attacks and almost never use jab/tilt attacks, do you think it's worth it to switch the c-stick to jabs and to relearn how to use smash attacks? Im really used to it already.

how does DI work, exactly? a guide i read said to move the control stick (they mean the stick you move with, right?) during the short hitstun of an attack, but i feel like that doesnt make any difference. somewhat related to that, i never remember to tech a landing.

i also usually forget to get some more damage in when grabbing someone because im afraid of them freeing themselves. at what percentage can i reliably get a few hits in?

i know the basic up-throw-thunder combo from pikachu, any other easy ones i should know?

help a noob out!
I keep cstick set to smash out of habit, what helps me with tilts is to hold the direction while doing something else before standing still. Like holding it while landing, drop pong the shield or doing some other attack. Later on you'll get the finesse of doing them no problem. You should definately pick up on jabbing and that's not the cstick that's interfering. Jab out of landing, out of rolls and dodges, even run up (shield) and jab. They're the quickest offensive options and they're the safest as well (try not to do the third jab on shields). Villager and pikachu have weird jabs though, and you should exchange them with neutral air for quick punishes. But really, cstick preference is up to you, it's probably a good idea to set them to tilts and do smashes the old way.

DIrectional Incfluencing hits means you can change the angle in which you're thrown off when hit and you slow down the speed of your launch by a bit. There's no visual indicator, just think of it as how someone can move in the air by pressing left or right, so when launched, that smaller force is applied to you and it'll let you live a bit higher percents that just letting the stick to neutral. Just remember to hold left or right when being hit (for vertical hits as well so you affect the angle). Regarding teching landings, there's a short window which you need to shield as you're landing, but remember you can get off tumbling state by pressing any attack button or air dodging so it's a good idea to do an attack when you're being sent off high enough so you don't have to worry about teching when landing.

Pummels are more reliable on higher percents, to make it easier think of it as like every 30% I can add an extra pummel. It's better to get the throw so don't YT greedy with them, what matters the most is that you can get one for unstaling purposes or just throw quickly so your opponent can't DI it correctly.

Last Pikachu and ZSS are very high execution characters (for competitive play). Pikachu can combo up tilts to one another at very low percents which then combos into a few up airs which you can close out with a neutral air.
Zss's gimmick is that she can combo of a down throw into up air, up air, up b at around 40% letting you get super early kills. Be sure to check video guides on YouTube regarding combos and more specific character knowledge

Thulius

It teaches you bad habits. That's what I mean about the difference between the mindset I was having of friendlies vs tourney. I mean if we are going to lie to ourselves here then I guess that's fine. I can play the long match, I just won't play too many in a row because my attention span sucks. Also, I don't consider it the most effective way to play the character at all, at least not from what I've seen and played against.

I'm very curious what you would consider an effective Yoshi then. I mean, Fair is really good but it's completely unnecessary in the neutral game against characters that can't easily contest Nair. I don't really see many reasons/opportunities for him to go in until he lands an egg or Nair, and all of his grounded pokes are slower and riskier.

I really can't think of any combination of moves in the game that synergize better than Yoshi's eggs and Nair.

Actually, question: what are your controls like when spacing out aerials defensively? I want to be better at fading back and hitting with Mewtwo, but it's so hard for me to jump and then transition to the C-stick, but my spacing falters otherwise. Thoughts?

This is pretty close to what I do. My index usually rests on Z since most characters I play want to Nair a lot and I find that much easier when jumping with my thumb, but I switch my index to Y whenever I want to space with Fair/Bair/whatever.

R.D.Blax

Just realized I received a replay of Out Of Ammo destroying some Captain Falcon for some reason lol. Didn't know we could send video like that

Cool. I can help you if you want.

Maybe. I am probably going to play Ryu the most. He seems easiest and I like his design. I might not do too bad as long as I don't button mash like Tekken.

Sending replays has been around from the start on Wii U, I think.

Anyone around to play?

It was added in an update with all the share options, like stages and Miis.

Is it comfortable for you guys to hold your controllers in the way you're describing? My thumb does all the face buttons and the c-stick, and my index fingers do the triggers and z. I've never tried out a claw method, even if temporary for jumping and using the c-stick, but I seems uncomfortable.

You're a meanie Karst, my hands are perfectly normal D:

And I find it okay to claw, it would probably take some adjustment though. I always do hand stretches before and after playing you guys, too. :)

Then again this wasn't the first game I clawed for...

Shamrock, what is your NNID?

Shamrock7r

I'm very curious what you would consider an effective Yoshi then. I mean, Fair is really good but it's completely unnecessary in the neutral game against characters that can't easily contest Nair. I don't really see many reasons/opportunities for him to go in until he lands an egg or Nair, and all of his grounded pokes are slower and riskier.

I really can't think of any combination of moves in the game that synergize better than Yoshi's eggs and Nair.

I think you are misunderstanding what I was saying. Maybe I didn't convey it well. Eggs are Yoshi's best option. They set up everything. I am not disputing that. The best yoshis I have played use eggs to harass, set up their approaches, etc. They were actually quite aggressive with using the eggs and approaching right behind them in a variety of ways. Essentially, the best Yoshis I have played are quite agressive in confronting the opponent, rather than camping and being passive. What I was trying to convey to Namikaze, was that the act of staying back for LONG periods of time and just throwing eggs will not be productive in the long run when you are facing someone good, particularly if the opponent has the lead. It's good to do in spurts to maybe get a few hits and kind of reset. All it really does against a good opponent is lengthen the match. I'm sure there are opponents out there that will be flustered by that, but the better opponents won't, so it becomes more annoying than anything (See Ally vs StaticManny from EVO). I mean, if you want to apply the StaticManny strategy, go for it. I'll last maybe 2-3 matches before calling it quits for the friendlies set, because it is more taxing on the mind.

I say these things because you always have to be careful about developing bad habits that can hurt you in a higher stakes situation like a tourney, ranked match, or ranbats. It's why I constantly recommend for people to read the opponent, pick a variety of tourney stages, etc. In Namikaze's case, I've seen him lean towards those habits with those matches, and obviously with relying on Battlefield for DK. Hope that clears it up.

It's okay to be a freak. We love you.
:T I'm gonna have to take a picture to illustrate my point eventually...

Edit:
Clawone.jpg
That's what I'm talking about, except with a Gamecube controller. Also those aren't my hands, I just image searched an example pic. Not a freak. >:T
anyone up for some 1v1s
I'm gonna make a SmashGAF combo video one day and your quote will be "1v1 anyone"

Thulius

What I was trying to convey to Namikaze, was that the act of staying back for LONG periods of time and just throwing eggs will not be productive in the long run when you are facing someone good, particularly if the opponent has the lead. It's good to do in spurts to maybe get a few hits and kind of reset. All it really does against a good opponent is lengthen the match. I'm sure there are opponents out there that will be flustered by that, but the better opponents won't, so it becomes more annoying than anything (See Ally vs StaticManny from EVO). I mean, if you want to apply the StaticManny strategy, go for it. I'll last maybe 2-3 matches before calling it quits for the friendlies set, because it is more taxing on the mind.

Yeah, it's bad to stay back and not mix up your approach at all when you're behind, but when you have the lead, why not? I don't care how good someone is, every player is human.

I understand the sentiment, but just because some people are better at hiding it or working around it does not mean that kind of play has no effect on high level players. As you said yourself, it's more taxing on the mind. There is no magical threshold where that just goes away. It's not going to get you results against everyone always forever, but just being annoying is enough to make the vast majority of players, high level or otherwise, falter in some way.

StaticManny was one match away from top 8 in a tournament of 1900+ players, so pointing out that he eventually lost doesn't discredit his playstyle in any way. If anything he's proof that it works.

Top Bottom