• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Yeah, it's bad to stay back and not mix up your approach at all when you're behind, but when you have the lead, why not? I don't care how good someone is, every player is human.

I understand the sentiment, but just because some people are better at hiding it or working around it does not mean that kind of play has no effect on high level players. As you said yourself, it's more taxing on the mind. There is no magical threshold where that just goes away. It's not going to get you results against everyone always forever, but just being annoying is enough to make the vast majority of players, high level or otherwise, falter in some way.

StaticManny was one match away from top 8 in a tournament of 1900+ players, so pointing out that he eventually lost doesn't discredit his playstyle in any way. If anything he's proof that it works.

Re-read what I said when referencing Static. I didn't discredit StaticManny's style at all, in terms of success. It's a different character. I am reffering to Namikaze's yoshi specifically. Static plays Sonic, and one of the major complaints is that Sonic CAN get a timeout victory pretty frequently. I referenced Static as a point that the vast majority of Smash players hate that playstyle. It's shitty, not fun, etc. It's a perfectly legal strategy to incorporate, but it's also a shitty one in terms of enjoying the game, and you question why someone would want to play like that. The "hey it's legal to do and it works" always sounds like a cop out answer to me. One, it only works with certain characters like Sonic, and two, the fact that a person would want to play like that consistently is mind boggling when there are so many other characters/styles just as competitively viable and not near as boring/draining/stupid.

Thulius

Re-read what I said when referencing Static. I didn't discredit StaticManny's style at all, in terms of success. It's a different character. I referenced him as a point that 99% of Smash players hate that playstyle. It's shitty, not fun, etc. It's a perfectly legal strategy to incorporate, but it's also a shitty one in terms of enjoying the game, and you question why someone would want to play like that. The "hey it's legal to do and it works" always sounds like a cop out answer to me. One, it only works with certain characters like Sonic, and two, the fact that a person would want to play like that consistently is mind boggling when there are so many other characters/styles just as competitively viable and not near as boring/draining/stupid.

Meh, no competitive game is about making the game fun for your opponent. People are gonna do whatever they enjoy doing, changing the way you play because other people don't like it makes no sense. It's like telling someone not to do dumb ambiguous mixups on incoming characters in marvel because it's not fun to guess.

Hungrybox did the exact same thing in Melee. Infiltration vs Gamerbee in USFIV was an absolute slog. Morridoom has plagued UMVC3 for years. Even DotA 2's international in 2013 was full of teams picking high mobility heroes and dodging fights constantly. This kind of strategy exists in all games. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't mean you should tell people to stop doing it.

Meh, no competitive game is about making the game fun for your opponent. People are gonna do whatever they enjoy doing, changing the way you play because other people don't like it makes no sense. It's like telling someone not to do dumb ambiguous mixups on incoming characters in marvel because it's not fun to guess.

Hungrybox did the exact same thing in Melee. Infiltration vs Gamerbee in USFIV was an absolute slog. Morridoom has plagued UMVC3 for years. Even DotA 2's international in 2013 was full of teams picking high mobility heroes and dodging fights constantly. This kind of strategy exists in all games. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't mean you should tell people to stop doing it.

Stop being dense. I told Namikaze specifically that his playstyle with Yoshi that he was doing with Yoshi would not work as Yoshi against good players using his Yoshi because he will develop bad habits as yoshi.

That is independent of my personal feelings about camping

Re-read what I said when referencing Static. I didn't discredit StaticManny's style at all, in terms of success. It's a different character. I am reffering to Namikaze's yoshi specifically. Static plays Sonic, and one of the major complaints is that Sonic CAN get a timeout victory pretty frequently. I referenced Static as a point that the vast majority of Smash players hate that playstyle. It's shitty, not fun, etc. It's a perfectly legal strategy to incorporate, but it's also a shitty one in terms of enjoying the game, and you question why someone would want to play like that. The "hey it's legal to do and it works" always sounds like a cop out answer to me. One, it only works with certain characters like Sonic, and two, the fact that a person would want to play like that consistently is mind boggling when there are so many other characters/styles just as competitively viable and not near as boring/draining/stupid.

Are you just talking about yesterday or all the time?

JulianImp

Then there's also the fact that people with playstyles like Staticmanny's probably don't help eSport broadcasters, since nobody enjoys watching six minutes of Sonic running away while pooping springs from above for two or three rounds in a row.

I wonder what'd happen if all broadcasted matches were Staticmany mirrors... Regardless of results, wouldn't spectators leave in droves, making broadcasters less money from ads and/or subscriptions?

Why have fun when you can not have fun instead?

Are you just talking about yesterday or all the time?

Yesterday specifically. Usually I feel like you mix it up real well, against me anyways, as in you strike a good balance between spacing/throwing eggs a bit, and then using that as an entry to approach and get more damage. There is a real good yoshi player i used to play a lot on Brawl and a few times in Smash4. I will play some matches with him and record so you can see what I mean, because he is a fairly aggressive yoshi player.

Yesterday specifically. Usually I feel like you mix it up real well, against me anyways, as in you strike a good balance between spacing/throwing eggs a bit, and then using that as an entry to approach and get more damage. There is a real good yoshi player i used to play a lot on Brawl and a few times in Smash4. I will play some matches with him and record so you can see what I mean, because he is a fairly aggressive yoshi player.

Alright, then the debate should be dropped. Today is a new day and a new way of play. I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing yesterday, so I must've just been playing it safe. I am not Staticmanny or a Villager where I play that way all the time. Egg spam is really good against certain characters, but there are also characters that I use very few eggs except for approaching. I used to be called really aggressive, with people saying stuff like "Nami won't stop pressing buttons". Maybe that changed my way of thinking subconsciously.

Ahhh, I want to go home and play this game already, but I'm stuck at San Jose for 3 more weeks. :( They do have a Wii U with Smash at my cousin's house, but they don't have the GC adapter and the only other controller they have are Wii Motes, so...lol.

Also late, but EVO was a total blast by the way. Really enjoyed coming to Las Vegas; was probably one of, if not the best weekend I've spent in my life. Was really nice meeting you, Cyberman! Wish we got to play some Smash 4 casuals, but playing you in Persona was fun haha.
Was great to meet you to, man! Shame we couldn't hang out more, but the casual matches were really fun. I wish my stick was working fine, haha.

Thulius

Stop being dense. I told Namikaze specifically that his playstyle with Yoshi that he was doing with Yoshi would not work as Yoshi against good players using his Yoshi because he will develop bad habits as yoshi.

That is independent of my personal feelings about camping

Well I obviously wasn't there to watch your matches so I won't comment any further. All I know is I have far more trouble with (and far less answers to) Yoshi staying back throwing eggs than Yoshi going in pressing buttons.

Alright, then the debate should be dropped. Today is a new day and a new way of play. I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing yesterday, so I must've just been playing it safe. I am not Staticmanny or a Villager where I play that way all the time. Egg spam is really good against certain characters, but there are also characters that I use very few eggs except for approaching. I used to be called really aggressive, with people saying stuff like "Nami won't stop pressing buttons". Maybe that changed my way of thinking subconsciously.

Meh, it's my fault for interjecting my thoughts in the first place. I'll try not to critique after a set unless I am asked to.

Meh, it's my fault for interjecting my thoughts in the first place. I'll try not to critique after a set unless I am asked to.

I don't think you need to do that. I didn't even know I was using more eggs than usual, so I appreciate you bringing it up. Just like when Flux brought up his dislikes. I won't know something like that unless I am told about it.

Anyone want to play?

Boney

Banned
Anyone up for some games?
Haha shame seems I got too late again today

And ease critique Nami, I'd like it if everyone would put some feedback on the their matches when possible.

I believe we had a discussion on super armor a while back and what Bowser's Tough Guy was. Well, here's a video about all types of armor and "block-hitboxes" in the game.
Cool thanks for sharing had no idea about % and knockback differences. It just kinda happened at times

Makes me sad that I can pick some random character and do better with them than I can with my main. Maybe I should switch mains :(
Who do you use? See Snacks here lamenting his mains all the time, it happens, maybe try goingr back to the drawing board with your main and realize what's not working, sometimes it means you change characters but sometimes you just get better

Anyone up for some games?
Haha shame seems I got too late again today

And ease critique Nami, I'd like it if everyone would put some feedback on the their matches when possible.

Cool thanks for sharing had no idea about % and knockback differences. It just kinda happened at times

Who do you use? See Snacks here lamenting his mains all the time, it happens, maybe try goingr back to the drawing board with your main and realize what's not working, sometimes it means you change characters but sometimes you just get better

make the room. I will join up

Makes me sad that I can pick some random character and do better with them than I can with my main. Maybe I should switch mains :(

Who's your main? It never hurts to go back to the drawing board, often it takes a while to find your "true main." After all, I've been playing since 3DS launch and it's only now that I've finally begun to settle with a selection of characters I can call mains and secondaries. :)

Boney

Banned
If you guys wanna have a rematch I'm cool, you guys asked first but dunno, hoping Nami chimes in soon, he's for glorying and sometimes you lose track of time or forget you ask

If you guys wanna have a rematch I'm cool, you guys asked first but dunno, hoping Nami chimes in soon, he's for glorying and sometimes you lose track of time or forget you ask

You can play Shamrock. Lucario on FG is a unique experience. Lots of people give up if I get the first stock xD

Boney

Banned
There is a noticeable delay but it doesn't seem as bad as usual. Very playable
Yeah my connection is very unpredictable.

Keep falling for those ledge traps though lmao

I really don't understand why they buffed pk vacuum
Gimmie a sec gotta take my dog out

Boney

Banned
The only not bad thing about fighting ness as samus is that you can get away from frontal ok fires, everything else is a nightmare.

Pk thunder is the worst

Oidisco

I told myself I'd take a break from For Glory because of assholes and giving myself bad habits, but I wanted to see if I could land ZSS's down-b spike against actual players now that I know how to do it

I've landed it multiple times so far and I'm ssssoooooo happy! It's kinda messing me up though, since I'm so focused on trying to land it that it's actually effecting how I normally play as her. That's one of those things that should sort itself out over time.

Boney

Banned
Nami if you wanna play a few I'd love to. I could use the pick me up :d

Heh, ggs man.
Great games, it's pretty hard to deal with ness while he's in the air because all of his aerials are really good. Back air is the most manageable but the others sheesh. Up air seriously needs more landing lag if it's gonna stay as ridiculous as it is now.

You pulled some tricky stuff there, that ending was pretty cool. Still I'll forever be salty at everything Ness, doesn't help that Ness is one of Samus worst match ups

Oidisco

Lucina since launch.

I mained Zelda initially and was struggling for a while, then I picked up Marth and found that some aspects of his playstyle helped me out with Zelda. And the same has been true for every character I've picked up since then. I recently started using ZSS and my aerial movement and juggling has gotten so much better for every other character I use, especially Marth and Zelda.

So yea, you should definitely pick up new characters, but keep using Lucina too!

GGs, Storm! Gotta eat now, but they were fun. Mario and Link gave me the most trouble. :p Really starting to like G&W, may pick him up as a secondary.

GGs Cyberman.

Feel I've gotten better.

I think I'll stick with Fox and Mario.
You've gotten better compared to before as I was having more trouble than last time. I ran into a lot of you stuff with Mario/Fox.

Top Bottom