• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

PK Flash is lame
Bowser sux
Buff Greninja
Mega Man is the best character

f0e307874fabc094f9c863e18a427723.jpg

Hatchtag

Banned
The more I play as Mac, the less confident I am that the character can ever be anything outside of a fun bottom tier character. His options are just too damn limited. /salt

Hatchtag

Banned
He is very fun to play as, but some match ups just straight up destroy him.

A lot really, really do. But you know who my least favorite Mac match up is? Mac. I know it's technically even, but it's kinda depressing realizing how limited his toolbox is and how much of a crutch his KO punch is.
Plus it always sucks when you lose to your main lol

But Sheik is not boring to fight against, its not even having problems against Sonic, he is just the most boring character in the entire cast to play against.
He's pretty easy to fix, I think. Just:
1) Dair always has landing lag.
2) Dash speed slightly reduced.
3) Spindash priority decreased.
4) Fix Fsmash.

I agree with all except too, I don't think dash speed is the issue, is everything else that makes it an issue.
Nah, his dash speed really is crazy. He can punish Mewtwo's ftilt from half a screen away.

People say Captain Falcon is really fast, but look at the data:
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/DashSpeed

RANK CHARACTER MAX RUN SPEED VALUE
1 Sonic 3.5
2 Captain Falcon 2.32
3 Little Mac 2.24
4 Fox 2.184
5 Zero Suit Samus 2.1

We're talking about a character that is more than 1.5 times the speed of the character right below him.

Bring it down to 2.8 or something. Sonic wasn't fast without spinning in his original games anyway.

Fandangox

Nah, his dash speed really is crazy. He can punish Mewtwo's ftilt from half a screen away.

People say Captain Falcon is really fast, but look at the data:
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/DashSpeed

RANK CHARACTER MAX RUN SPEED VALUE
1 Sonic 3.5
2 Captain Falcon 2.32
3 Little Mac 2.24
4 Fox 2.184
5 Zero Suit Samus 2.1

We're talking about a character that is more than 1.5 times the speed of the character right below him.

Bring it down to 2.8 or something. Sonic wasn't fast without spinning in his original games anyway.

Captain Falcon is fast, but what allows him to punish from afar is his dash grab.

I think with Sonic they tried to have a character that could play the keep away game by hit-and-run, but somehow ended with a character that can spam attacks all day without getting punished for it.

Captain Falcon is fast, but what allows him to punish from afar is his dash grab.

I think with Sonic they tried to have a character that could play the keep away game by hit-and-run, but somehow ended with a character that can spam attacks all day without getting punished for it.
Where does the punishment come from, then?

You can't make Spindash punishable. It would be a crap move.

Fandangox

Where does the punishment come from, then?

You can't make Spindash punishable. It would be a crap move.

That's a good point I guess, but my beef is that all of it is safe on block, like how do you even approach Sonic when nothing short of a dash attack will actually leave him open.

That's a good point I guess, but my beef is that all of it is safe on block, like how do you even approach Sonic when nothing short of a dash attack will actually leave him open.
Jump. :p

Spindash, in a vacuum, is pretty fair. It's a lot like Shadow Ball. If Mewtwo has a fully charged Shadow Ball and is just sitting there, it's a dangerous situation for the opposing player. That's Mewtwo's reward for establishing space.

Sonic gets Spindash as a reward for establishing space. If you don't want him to rev up Spindash, you need to apply pressure. Of course, this isn't even possible for all characters, but Spindash isn't the core of the problem.

Most characters have some kind of option against Spindash. As Bowser, depending on the spacing, I will either:
1) Jump in and Fire Breath (high risk).
2) Try to time Dtilt or Down B to beat out Spindash.
3) Double jump on top of Sonic (Dair threat - all Sonics let go at this point).
4) Sit and wait - Sonic will let go eventually. :p

Falcon Kick has good priority. Have you ever just run up and used it? I bet it clanks, at least, and then you're back at the neutral.

Fandangox

Falcon kick is the only answer, sometimes it clanks when spindash is charged.

Speaking of Falcon Kick priority, a lot of Pika's aereals clank with it, just how much priority does Pikachu has?

Falcon kick is the only answer, sometimes it clanks when spindash is charged.

Speaking of Falcon Kick priority, a lot of Pika's aereals clank with it, just how much priority does Pikachu has?
Priority in Smash is based on the % difference in damage dealt. I believe the difference has to be more than 9%, though it might have changed from older titles:
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Priority

This is why a half-charged Shadow Ball will clank with Falcon Kick, but a fully charged Shadow Ball will beat Falcon Kick.

Doesnt Pac-Man's orange clanks with an almost fully charged shadow ball?

Do they deal similar damage?
That's a little different. Some thrown items always clank with Shadow Ball. All of Pac-man's fruits clank with Shadow Ball at any charge. Link's bombs do this as well, even the 1% damage custom meteor versions (AFAIK).

PK Fire always clanks with Shadow Ball, as well.

That makes sense since they are all projectiles, although I guess its treated normally when its projectile vs non-projectile?
It differs by projectile. Shadow Ball (charged) will tear through stuff like Luigi's fireballs, Link's boomerang/bow, and Megaman's Metal Blade. I have no idea why some things stop it and others don't.

Duck Hunt's down B and side B both clink with it, too.

TrueBlue

A friend of mine always bitches at me if I play as Sonic, due to how repetitive the moveset apparently is with the Spin Dashes. It's not my fault that they made his moveset that way!

Kinda frustrating actually. Sonic is treated well, but Mega Man and Pac-Man seem to have it better - particularly when it comes to music. Must be something on SEGA'S end considering the amount of remixes for the other third party characters. Hell, even Ryu has more!

A friend of mine always bitches at me if I play as Sonic, due to how repetitive the moveset apparently is with the Spin Dashes. It's not my fault that they made his moveset that way!

Kinda frustrating actually. Sonic is treated well, but Mega Man and Pac-Man seem to have it better - particularly when it comes to music. Must be something on SEGA'S end considering the amount of remixes for the other third party characters. Hell, even Ryu has more!
I really like this whole discussion on Twitter explaining about how he is and his playstyle. Its basically what I think when people complain about Sonic.

Timeaisis

Huh. Ryu is super neat but kind of slow for me. Really hard to pick up and play and do well with, although his input commands are surprisingly easy to do, compared to the actual SF series (I always screw up SRK on SFIV).

Anyway, loving the shit out of Roy. Brings me back to melee. He's like in between Marth and Ike.

Street Fighter V Beta starts today. That will be my focus this next week.

After playing with you guys yesterday, I GoT pumped so today at night (12 hours more) I Will be waiting for someone to play with me
me.
Haha, cool. =)

Day 4 without smash. If I don't survive the next 10 days, I want you guys to know I love you all.
<3

Do you play on For Glory with the name TrueBlue?

I think Sonic has a moveset that reflects how most people think of him. What would he have that would fit him better?

One of the best set in the history of Smash.
Abadango vs Dabuz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j7QDPQiWys (EVO)
I know believe Wario can be high tier.

I can't stop watching it!
Wario has always been top tier material.

Question for bowser users. Best way to recover when being send flying? The battles I had yesterday made me notice I´m at a true disadvantage when landing on the platform. Also, Boney made me realize he down + B attack near the platform is a good way to send someone flying without risking too much (just need to measure the correct distance from the border and practice)

Question for bowser users. Best way to recover when being send flying? The battles I had yesterday made me notice I´m at a true disadvantage when landing on the platform. Also, Boney made me realize he down + B attack near the platform is a good way to send someone flying without risking too much (just need to measure the correct distance from the border and practice)
If they are far enough away, Fire Breath can protect your landing.

Usually, you need to return to the ledge. It is the only safe place for Bowser.

Infrequently, Dair, Down B, or side B while you land.

My YouTube channel in my GAF profile has some of my Bowser play. Give it a watch.

If they are far enough away, Fire Breath can protect your landing.

Usually, you need to return to the ledge. It is the only safe place for Bowser.

Infrequently, Dair, Down B, or side B while you land.

My YouTube channel in my GAF profile has some of my Bowser play. Give it a watch.

Basically all I had in mind. I have to lessen the use of down + A ( I love it when it connects and sends the oponent flying <3).

I´m gonna check some your channel!!! :)

I really like this whole discussion on Twitter explaining about how he is and his playstyle. Its basically what I think when people complain about Sonic.

This rings pretty hollow to me. Sonic, bad approach options? He has the fastest run speed, a dash attack that goes through people, a special that goes through people and can combo, pretty damn safe aerials. Obviously he can't play spacing quite the same as other characters because he runs so fast, but I don't believe for a second that "side b, then side b again with no attempt to mix up the opponent" and succeeding through sheer dumb, safe, persistence is Sonic's only viable playstyle. Especially because there's already a competitive Sonic player who DOESN'T play that way.

This rings pretty hollow to me. Sonic, bad approach options? He has the fastest run speed, a dash attack that goes through people, a special that goes through people and can combo, pretty damn safe aerials. Obviously he can't play spacing quite the same as other characters because he runs so fast, but I don't believe for a second that "side b, then side b again with no attempt to mix up the opponent" and succeeding through sheer dumb, safe, persistence is Sonic's only viable playstyle. Especially because there's already a competitive Sonic player who DOESN'T play that way.
Sonic is as bad at approaching as Greninja is at jumping.

Wait, you all here play with customs?

I don´t use them. xD
They are controversial here.

Customs are godlike for Bowser. :)

Soul Lab

alright guys. There is a tourney on Sunday with 60+ participants. I have to train.
who's up for some 1v1? would be cool if here's a yoshi or Mario around. I know there will be a couple of Marios and Yoshis

Boney

Banned
I've seen people argue that sonic aerials are not that good because the have too much end lag, I mean what

alright guys. There is a tourney on Sunday with 60+ participants. I have to train.
who's up for some 1v1? would be cool if here's a yoshi or Mario around. I know there will be a couple of Marios and Yoshis
We could see if the connection holds alright

Boney

Banned
Too laggy?
Yeah it's gonna be noticeable, nothing to do against such distance
This might hurt more than help, it's your call if you wanna keep it up

Top Bottom