• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

The win/loss ratio felt about 50/50 to me. I wasn't keeping track, though. Just saving the "best" replays. :p

You know I saved that match where I spiked Yoshi. FELT GOOD.

I don't know how to ledge guard Yoshi, though, because Egg Toss covers him. Can you help give me advice on that?

I don't know. I thought I did a lot worse than normal. Certain matches I did fine, and others were absolutely terrible.

Well I saved the Jigglypuff shield break. Not often you see you're opponent spiked up instead of down.

To kill me off-stage, you just need bullshit. A tiny little thing like the weak hit of Luigi's jump punch can gimp Yoshi. Once I am out of my double jump, I only have 2 eggs (if I haven't used any already) to get back.

I don't know how to get Mewtwo off-stage. It just doesn't seem possible with Yoshi. You recover from pretty much anywhere, and even if I get a weak hit in after you jump, you can just teleport back.

sticking with "Wario isn't safe"

GGs NamikazeBurst. I gotta go. Thx for the games

GGs. God damn is Luigi annoying. No landing lag on fair, so I can't even get a dtilt out before you jab combo. Super hard to get a hit in without trading, too.

Anyone want to 1v1?

Boney

Banned
I can play nami

Yoshi can just double jump air dodge through anything offstage, or heck even power through. You got to really screw up to lose the double jump.

The only way a character with that much air control could possibly be considered unsafe is if every single aerial had 20+ frames of landing lag and never recovered midair.
Pretty much this. The air speed wario has allows him to poke and don't be punished, similar to yoshi. I mean it's not este like ness up air that you can fast fall it near someone and either kill them, attack the shield safely or just whiff and be completely safe.
But comparing Mewtwo to wario is bananas They're completely different tiers of safe

Wario has one aerial with no landing lag. The rest have some, uair and nair its a small amount. So all my characters are safe? Lol. Come on Karst you're better then that.
Admit you were wrong about Mewtwo being solid after looking at those screenshots.

Safety is about more than landing lag. Air acceleration is a HUGE part of it, because it allows you to jump in and then weave out. Let's look at the aerial acceleration for Wario:
1-4 Palutena 0.1
1-4 Peach 0.1
1-4 Rosalina 0.1
1-4 Mega Man 0.1
5-6 Ness 0.09
5-6 Pikachu 0.09
7 Zero Suit Samus 0.085
8-13 Sheik 0.08
8-13 Fox 0.08
8-13 Wii Fit Trainer 0.08
8-13 Toon Link 0.08
8-13 Wario 0.08

So he is tied for 8th best aerial acceleration in the game.

What about Bowser? Hmm...
42-48 Bowser 0.04

Oh right, one of the worst - he literally maneuevers half as fast as Wario in the air.

Unfortunately, we don't have Mewtwo's numeric value for aerial acceleration yet, but I bet he is around Bowser based on how his spacing feels.

What about Wario's max aerial speed?

1 Yoshi 1.28
2 Jigglypuff 1.269
3 Roy ?
4 Wario 1.21

Oh. He's the 4th fastest character in the air in the entire game. Look at that.

Wario has a ton of control over his aerial movement, which is why he is safe. He might have a bit of landing lag on non-Fair aerials, but he can SPACE EFFECTIVELY. That is incredibly important. If Mewtwo could space his aerials, and Fair had a better hitbox, it would make a world of difference for him.

The "Risk to make damage" comment just immediately made me think of Shulk, I wonder what you could do with a character that has some of the same issues your other characters have, but has a lot more options.
Oh. I honestly don't think I could play Shulk effectively. I am not good at characters with stance swaps. I would end up doing unsafe things with him because my instincts for Speed mode kick in while in Smash mode. Does that make sense?

I don't know. I thought I did a lot worse than normal. Certain matches I did fine, and others were absolutely terrible.

Well I saved the Jigglypuff shield break. Not often you so you're opponent spiked up instead of down.

To kill me off-stage, you just need bullshit. A tiny little thing like the weak hit of Luigi's jump punch can gimp Yoshi. Once I am out of my double jump, I only have 2 eggs (if I haven't used any already) to get back.

I don't know how to get Mewtwo off-stage. It just doesn't seem possible with Yoshi. You recover from pretty much anywhere, and even if I get a weak hit in after you jump, you can just teleport back.
Throwing eggs at me while I'm off screen makes it much harder for me. Mewtwo is really hard to gimp, though. The best choice you have is to go for a punish on the ledge grab frame. Like Sheik, he has a few frames where he "sits" before grabbing, so he is (supposedly) a little more vulnerable. Sometimes you get me like this with Yoshi's Bair.

Nair unfortunately doesn't beat your double jump armor. That's kind of my go-to for gimp attempts. I want to try reflecting the eggs back at you while you try to recover.

The Jiggs shield break was funny - glad you saved it. :)

Worst part about yoshi's fair is that you can't punish with jabs because he shrinks his hitbox while landing
Honestly, Yoshi's Fair is not the move that bothers me about him these days. It has a stupid hitbox, and I wish Sakurai would make its presence more clear (also for Usmash and Bair - twice I maneuvered Mewtwo specifically to bair and punish Nami's Usmash last night, and I got hit anyway -_-).

I think 3 frame Nairs are pretty suspect in general. First, they should never KO. These moves should purely be defensive. No one should kill because they did an OoS Nair, ever. Second, 3 frames is so fast. With pre-jump frames, it's only 1 frame slower than Fortress, except they are 100% safe. Fortress is the best OoS up B in the game, but it's garbage compared to the 3 frame OoS Nairs.

Characters with bullshit 3 frame Nairs:
Dr. Mario
Mario
Luigi
Yoshi
Sheik

Notice a pattern in how many of these characters are high or top tier? Ness comes out in 5 frames, Fox in 4...

Jigglypuff, who you would think would be 3 frames, comes out in 7!

I feel like 6 frames is a good place for a Nair to be. This is where Duck Hunt, Metaknight, etc. are.

Mewtwo's comes out in 7, and I know plenty of folks still get punished by my OoS Nair - I just have to be smarter about it than the 3-framers do.

Good. Everybody is so busy being mad about Yoshi or how bad Mewtwo is that no one will expect Diddy Kong.
Diddy Kong has gotten a lot of nerfs recently. I think he needs at least 6 months before we address him again.

I want Bowser to be Buffed!!!
S tier grapplers give people nightmares.

Admit you were wrong about Mewtwo being solid after looking at those screenshots.

Safety is about more than landing lag. Air acceleration is a HUGE part of it, because it allows you to jump in and then weave out. Let's look at the aerial acceleration for Wario:
1-4 Palutena 0.1
1-4 Peach 0.1
1-4 Rosalina 0.1
1-4 Mega Man 0.1
5-6 Ness 0.09
5-6 Pikachu 0.09
7 Zero Suit Samus 0.085
8-13 Sheik 0.08
8-13 Fox 0.08
8-13 Wii Fit Trainer 0.08
8-13 Toon Link 0.08
8-13 Wario 0.08

So he is tied for 8th best aerial acceleration in the game.

What about Bowser? Hmm...
42-48 Bowser 0.04

Oh right, one of the worst - he literally maneuevers half as fast as Wario in the air.

Unfortunately, we don't have Mewtwo's numeric value for aerial acceleration yet, but I bet he is around Bowser based on how his spacing feels.

What about Wario's max aerial speed?

1 Yoshi 1.28
2 Jigglypuff 1.269
3 Roy ?
4 Wario 1.21

Oh. He's the 4th fastest character in the air in the entire game. Look at that.

Wario has a ton of control over his aerial movement, which is why he is safe. He might have a bit of landing lag on non-Fair aerials, but he can SPACE EFFECTIVELY. That is incredibly important. If Mewtwo could space his aerials, and Fair had a better hitbox, it would make a world of difference for him.

Oh. I honestly don't think I could play Shulk effectively. I am not good at characters with stance swaps. I would end up doing unsafe things with him because my instincts for Speed mode kick in while in Smash mode. Does that make sense?

Throwing eggs at me while I'm off screen makes it much harder for me. Mewtwo is really hard to gimp, though. The best choice you have is to go for a punish on the ledge grab frame. Like Sheik, he has a few frames where he "sits" before grabbing, so he is (supposedly) a little more vulnerable. Sometimes you get me like this with Yoshi's Bair.

Nair unfortunately doesn't beat your double jump armor. That's kind of my go-to for gimp attempts. I want to try reflecting the eggs back at you while you try to recover.

The Jiggs shield break was funny - glad you saved it. :)

I am not really focused on bowser. That guy has legit problems. Mewtwo though, throw out your numerical values all you want because the eye test and some time playing him gives me the impression that he is competitively viable against most opponents.

JulianImp

Notice a pattern in how many of these characters are high or top tier? Ness comes out in 5 frames, Fox in 4...

Pac-Man has a 3-frame nair. Where's my high or top tier character?
Kappa

It's also the single aerial of his that actualy KOs outside of corner cases such as uairing someone really close to the vertical blast zones while at >150% (...yeah).

Thulius

I am not really focused on bowser. That guy has legit problems. Mewtwo though, throw out your numerical values all you want because the eye test and some time playing him gives me the impression that he is competitively viable against most opponents.

That's fine, but none of the characters he does even remotely well against are the high/top tier characters. It's hard to be "competitively" viable when literally all of your bad matchups are the most common characters in competitive play.

Kappa

because those numbers only tell half the story of how viable a character is. It doesn't take into account a variety of other factors in determining how good a character is. Then there is the most important factor, the human element.

Honestly, Yoshi's Fair is not the move that bothers me about him these days. It has a stupid hitbox, and I wish Sakurai would make its presence more clear (also for Usmash and Bair - twice I maneuvered Mewtwo specifically to bair and punish Nami's Usmash last night, and I got hit anyway -_-).

I think 3 frame Nairs are pretty suspect in general. First, they should never KO. These moves should purely be defensive. No one should kill because they did an OoS Nair, ever. Second, 3 frames is so fast. With pre-jump frames, it's only 1 frame slower than Fortress, except they are 100% safe. Fortress is the best OoS up B in the game, but it's garbage compared to the 3 frame OoS Nairs.

Characters with bullshit 3 frame Nairs:
Dr. Mario
Mario
Luigi
Yoshi
Sheik

Jigglypuff, who you would think would be 3 frames, comes out in 7!

I feel like 6 frames is a good place for a Nair to be. This is where Duck Hunt, Metaknight, etc. are.

Mewtwo's comes out in 7, and I know plenty of folks still get punished by my OoS Nair - I just have to be smarter about it than the 3-framers do.

The only 3-frame nairs I have issues with are Luigi's, Yoshi's, and Sheik's. Luigi's can KO from the ground which is absolutely ridiculous for how quick and easy it is to land a nair. Yoshi's nair has a ridiculous hitbox, and Sheik doesn't need anymore good frame data. Regarding Mario's nair, it's definitely not as strong as Luigi's but it's good as a "get off me" attack, which is what these kinds of nairs should be for. And Doc's nair has a reverse strength gimmick so it's better as an approach crossup than anything, given its strongest hitbox comes out at the very end of the move.

Plus Doc isn't high tier. :p But we all already knew that.

I don't mind Fox's nair becoming a 5-frame nair, given it already feels like Ness has a crazy fast nair. Although, Fox's nair isn't the best nair even with its startup.

What's Lucas' startup for his nair? I don't know if Mewtwo should get a faster nair, I don't think that's where his issues are.

That's fine, but none of the characters he does even remotely well against are the high/top tier characters. It's hard to be "competitively" viable when literally all of your bad matchups are the most common characters in competitive play.

So overcome them with superior play? Unless we are all playing the top 8 evo players consistently at tournaments..:

I agree with what Thulius said. Yes, there is a set of characters that Mewtwo can win against, but it isn't the set of good characters. Mewtwo has problems against all of the following (Thulius can lend his opinion on this):
1) Characters that reflect/absorb projectiles.
2) Characters that outrange him.
3) Characters are small.

A considerable portion of the cast fits into at least one of these categories. If they fit into multiple categories, then they are extremely hard for him.

The basic problems with Mewtwo are that:
1) His attacks are extremely inconsistent.
2) He's incredibly unsafe in almost everything he does.
3) He is light as a feather.

Unsafe + light + inconsistent is a horrific combination. Get rid of two and he's fine.

Kappa

It's also the single aerial of his that actualy KOs outside of corner cases such as uairing someone really close to the vertical blast zones while at >150% (...yeah).
Pac-man made it to top 8. I think he can safely be labeled "high tier" at this point, or at least top of mid tier.

because those numbers only tell half the story of how viable a character is. It doesn't take into account a variety of other factors in determining how good a character is. Then there is the most important factor, the human element.
Right.

I want Bowser to be Buffed!!!
S tier grapplers give people nightmares.

I would like to see Bowser's attack glitches fixed, and then give him a little breathing room. Maybe give him less recovery on his dash grab so he can't get punished by everything in the world when he goes for it. Oh, and fix his recovery issue. Just that small stuff would probably move him up a bit in viability. If Sakurai wanted him to be good, he would need:

1) All hitboxes fixed.
2) Recovery fixed.
3) Klaw now has armor and decent range.
4) Fortress damage increased; invulnerable on frames 1-6 (as it has been in every other Smash game).
5) Bowser Bomb cannot be DId out of, true combo on shields, has armor.
6) Fire Breath recovery frames significantly reduced.
7) Dsmash gets...something to make it worth using. I don't know what.
8) Grab recovery frames reduced by about 10 (maybe 15).
9) Fair has no landing lag (the rest can keep it, but one safe aerial tool would be wonderful).
10) Tough Guy is reworked to be useful.

That is a top tier Bowser right there.

So overcome them with superior play? Unless we are all playing the top 8 evo players consistently at tournaments..:
Sometimes you can feel tier differences even at intermediate play. And it is very tiresome.

More importantly, this isn't Melee or Brawl anymore. Sakurai is willing to rebalance characters. It is in our best interest to discuss these things.

The only 3-frame nairs I have issues with are Luigi's, Yoshi's, and Sheik's. Luigi's can KO from the ground which is absolutely ridiculous for how quick and easy it is to land a nair. Yoshi's nair has a ridiculous hitbox, and Sheik doesn't need anymore good frame data. Regarding Mario's nair, it's definitely not as strong as Luigi's but it's good as a "get off me" attack, which is what these kinds of nairs should be for. And Doc's nair has a reverse strength gimmick so it's better as an approach crossup than anything, given its strongest hitbox comes out at the very end of the move.

Plus Doc isn't high tier. :p But we all already knew that.

I don't mind Fox's nair becoming a 5-frame nair, given it already feels like Ness has a crazy fast nair. Although, Fox's nair isn't the best nair even with its startup.

What's Lucas' startup for his nair? I don't know if Mewtwo should get a faster nair, I don't think that's where his issues are.
Lucas' Nair is 7 frames, I think...yes, 7.

Mewtwo could just use a frame or two shaved off. 5 frame Nair would be nice for him. The major reason Mewtwo players are irked by this is that Mewtwo had a 5 frame Nair in Melee:
http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwo-hitboxes-and-frame-data.302477/

Actually, most of Mewtwo's frame data was nerfed between Melee and Smash 4. -_-

JulianImp

I was just having fun with Karst's statement. Of course a character's tier placement doesn't depend on a single move for the most part. Top tiers tend to have consistent to stellar combos, follow-ups and KO options. For example ZSS, Diddy, Luigi, Mario and Ness all have amazing grab games and can do very nasty things out of one (including KO setups)

Thulius

I think his point is that even with its wonky hitbox and 7f startup, Mewtwo's Nair is still a fantastic punish option. So why does any character need a 3f Nair that kills and has a better hitbox?

What? I'm not saying the matchup against the high tiers is even, I'm saying it's consistently bad for Mewtwo. If that isn't enough to make him a bad character competitively then I don't want to know what your idea of a bad character is.

Boney

Banned
I agree with everything except bowser bomb comboing shields and I'd put up air as the no lag aerials, fair would be too good with no lag at all, but reduce it's lag definately more than Ike's but in the same ball park

Oh yeah, and I feel like something needs to be done about perfect shielding. Too easy/good.

What? I'm not saying the matchup against the high tiers is even, I'm saying it's consistently bad for Mewtwo. If that isn't enough to make him a bad character competitively then I don't want to know what your idea of a bad character is.
Exactly.

I agree with everything except bowser bomb comboing shields and I'd put up air as the no lag aerials, fair would be too good with no lag at all, but reduce it's lag definately more than Ike's but in the same ball park
I can't see how Bowser would ever use Uair as an approach.

lol, I got TKBreezy's chat discussing the merits of Mewtwo, everyone seems to think his weight is the greatest flaw. Canonically Mewtwo is heavier than Charizard lol
I would adore a heavy Mewtwo, but that's just because I love heavy spellcasters. I don't know why spellcaster = light all the time. -_- I love my mage tanks!

It isn't his real problem, though. Jigglypuff is light in Melee, and she is good. Jigglypuff is light in Smash 4, and she's mediocre. There's a reason for that difference, and it ain't the weight!

The folks that want Mewtwo to be heavier are just scrubbier. Ganondorf and Bowser are heavy, but who cares about them at tournaments?

Puruzi

Banned

Yeah, this is wild.

Boney

Banned
Mewtwo weight is disproportionate to his everything. Shiek should have that weight.

Also Nami just beat me using 90% nair.

Oh and up air kinda like ness, it wouldn't be the most helpful but it's something

JulianImp

All this talk about nairs made me wonder... is there any nair or other move with a "reverse sweetspot"? As in, the first few frames being weaker but the later ones having more damage and knockback? That could be a way to "fix" ultra-fast nairs while still keeping them as a viable kill tool if you manage to hit with a slight delay so as to avoid the initial sourspot.

Boney

Banned
All this talk about nairs made me wonder... is there any nair or other move with a "reverse sweetspot"? As in, the first few frames being weaker but the later ones having more damage and knockback? That could be a way to "fix" ultra-fast nairs while still keeping them as a viable kill tool if you manage to hit with a slight delay so as to avoid the initial sourspot.
All multi hits ones (except samus)

That's a Doc thing since Melee, and the reverse sweetspot is stronger than Mario's sweetspot for what it's worth. Used to be a valid kill option in Melee, but then again gimping was way easier in Melee.

I don't think that's what he was asking for. Those types of hits end with a strong hit, but they're not "reverse sex kick" style attacks.

Puruzi

Banned

Doctor Mario

I think his point is that even with its wonky hitbox and 7f startup, Mewtwo's Nair is still a fantastic punish option. So why does any character need a 3f Nair that kills and has a better hitbox?

The problem is when people starting to blame losses or lack of success on the limits of their character. This is true for some characters like Bowser. Overall, I think most problems with matchups on here can be overcome by smart play. I mean, you're talking to someone who mained ness on brawl and consistently won against Marth metaknight players. It's doable, and I don't want the tier crutch to be a reason why players here don't figure out how to get better

JulianImp

But none of the single-hit ones, right? A 3f sex kick that dealt negligible damage and knockback before becoming a stronger attack a few frames later might be interesting.

@Puruzi: Oh, that's interesting. That kind of stuff, I believe, might be a good way to make OOS 3f nairs more balanced.

Yeah, this is wild.
I didn't say it's what should happen. I said it's what he would need to be S tier, and that S tier grapplers are the stuff of nightmares.

The essence of a grappler is to struggle for most of the match, but if a few hits are successful, so is victory. This is how Zangief works, how Potemkin works, how Tager works, etc. They need to destroy if they make the right call, but none of their calls are safe.

Have you guys ever played Guilty Gear Accent Core+? Potemkin is S tier in that game, and he is truly a nightmare. He is S tier because he has armor all over the place, his grabs do absurd damage, and he has a full-screen unblockable attack that causes untechable knockdown. Think about that!

Mewtwo weight is disproportionate to his everything. Shiek should have that weight.

Also Nami just beat me using 90% nair.
Smart man. Glad to see him using it more.

Yeah, I would love to see Sheik and Sonic with Mewtwo weight. They're so fast...let them reach the blast zone with great speed!

The problem is when people starting to blame losses or lack of success on the limits of their character. This is true for some characters like Bowser. Overall, I think most problems with matchups on here can be overcome by smart play. I mean, you're talking to someone who mained ness on brawl and consistently won against Marth metaknight players. It's doable, and I don't want the tier crutch to be a reason why players here don't figure out how to get better
Who here is doing that, though? I work hard on my Mewtwo. I mean, this entire time I've been talking about how much better I've been doing against Nami's Yoshi from all my practice. I never give up, but that doesn't mean I turn a blind eye to problems.

Puruzi

Banned
I didn't say it's what should happen. I said it's what he would need to be S tier, and that S tier grapplers are the stuff of nightmares.

Is Bowser a grappler? His grabs don't seem great to me, and he has one command throw that you don't even think is that good.
I don't play him so I don't know though. He doesn't seem like a grappler to me

Thulius

Well I don't blame Mewtwo's problems for my losses, I blame them for me continuing to focus on a far better character that actually has consistent options to deal with strong characters. :p

Boney

Banned
*Sigh*

Just realized yoshi's fair does 10% sweetspot.
Samus does 7% it's 7 frames, has landing lag, and a teeny tiny hit box

Is Bowser a grappler? His grabs don't seem great to me, and he has one command throw that you don't even think is that good.
I don't play him so I don't know though. He doesn't seem like a grappler to me
In terms of hitboxes, Bowser might have one of the best melee grapples in the game. Most Bowser players play him a way that forces an opponent to the ledge, and then they try to get a read on the grab. I would say that if Bowser isn't a grappler...no one else is, either. He's probably the closest thing to that in the game.

Also, have you ever went into training mode and checked out the range on his pivot grab? It's really absurd.

His normal grabs all KO ~120% near ledges, which is pretty good.

Oh yeah!

Buff 11:
Uthrow has guaranteed follow-ups until mid %.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I have a good feeling that we might get DLC character next month when they are going to release Youtube feature, two stages, etc. If they finally announce Wolf for Smash 4 next month, I wonder who would be interesting enough to give him a chance here.

I know I would because I usually prefer him over Fox in Brawl and Project M.

Puruzi

Banned
In terms of hitboxes, Bowser might have one of the best melee grapples in the game. Most Bowser players play him a way that forces an opponent to the ledge, and then they try to get a read on the grab. I would say that if Bowser isn't a grappler...no one else is, either. He's probably the closest thing to that in the game.

Also, have you ever went into training mode and checked out the range on his pivot grab? It's really absurd.

His normal grabs all KO ~120% near ledges, which is pretty good.

Oh yeah!

Buff 11:
Uthrow has guaranteed follow-ups until mid %.

Ah, alright. I haven't played against enough Bowsers to know about any of that, and the clowns on FG that use him just do random smashes and try for the klaw.

I have a good feeling that we might get DLC character next month when they are going to release Youtube feature, two stages, etc. If they finally announce Wolf for Smash 4 next month, I wonder who would be interesting enough to give him a chance here.

I know I would because I usually prefer him over Fox in Brawl and Project M.
I plan on trying Wolf out.

Ah, alright. I haven't played against enough Bowsers to know about any of that, and the clowns on FG that use him just do random smashes and try for the klaw.
LOL, yeah. Whenever someone picks Bowser on FG it's the weirdest thing. Always with the random Fsmashes half a screen away.

Top Bottom