• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

JulianImp

I feed my Jigglypuff too much carbos, it seems. Of course it's balanced since not even I know where I'm going, and her KO power is null.

We should do teams now.

Alternatively, FFA with items on could be fun. Let's do coin mode, though!

Hatchtag

Banned
Ganondorf?

That's by far the biggest one that comes to mind. There's advantages I think Mac has against other characters, but they seem to usually come with enough disavantages that no one else really comes to mind as a great matchup for Mac.

Mac does super well against Zelda. That's easily one of her worst matchups

Ehh. I actually think Zelda's able to gimp Mac really well and her projectiles let her outspace Mac a bit.

JulianImp

Gah, if I knew it was going to be coin I wouldn't have used speedypuff.

God, I love these stages! It just dawned on me that I've never played on them outside of single player, unlike with the 3DS game, where I did play on crazy stages every now and then.

That Mario stage was the best of them all, though. Lots of crazy gimmicks without being downright obnoxious (I'm looking at you, yellow devil...).

JulianImp

That puff is the definition of not fun
Rest was awesome, night guys

I guess that might've been what Karst meant with nerfing Sonic's speed, since that speed made Jiggs absolutely unpunishable (air speed being affected is downright crazy). Even though I was getting nowhere and my attacks had no KO power, I was nearly impossible to hit.

I'll try to build some less retarded custom characters for next time. Maybe a -200 speed Sonic?

Fandangox

So... it seems my 3ds is permanently stuck with two battery bars? what.

Its been charging for like 5 hours and every time I unplug it just has 3 bars (2 in smash)

Tomorrow, we destroy fools.

Playing a bunch of Xrd tonight was good practice. :) I even perfected someone with Zato. :-D

I am one of those fools :(

If I get as into SFV as I am into Smash, I will buy an arcade stick. A Soul Calibur game would make the purchase much easier to handle, though...

Probably won't even have enough time to get into a real fighting game with university :(

Yes, yes you will.

Really? Because there are two days a week in my first semester where I am at university from like 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. The downsides to Engineering - 40% more courses and harder courses.

Isn't a fighter like SFV harder to get into than Smash? You played me a decent amount on the 3DS. I was terrible. Now I am like two levels above terrible. The time I put in to reach where I am is large.

Hatchtag

Banned
Really? Because there are two days a week in my first semester where I am at university from like 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. The downsides to Engineering - 40% more courses and harder courses.

Isn't a fighter like SFV harder to get into than Smash? You played me a decent amount on the 3DS. I was terrible. Now I am like two levels above terrible. The time I put in to reach where I am is large.

Believe in yourself. Hbox is a chemical engineer or some shit.

if you have a job and are in university i can't see how you'd have enough time to get too into a fighter either.

Soul Lab

For Europe SmashGAF in case it hasn't been posted yet:

"Big news for the EU scene everyone!
ESL is joining the Smash hype train and are hosting an online Smash for Wii U tournament starting THIS SUNDAY!
It consists of two qualifiers with top four advancing to the finale where they will have a chance to win some really cool prizes!
If we want ESL to continue with Smash and make it even bigger, we need to show them that we exist, so join these tournaments for the good of Smash!"

http://play.eslgaming.com/new-games/wiiu/news/258468

I can't this Sunday. But I'm trying to participate on August 16th

Pretty much all of my time spent practicing video games has been at a university, but I didn't study something like engineering so that's not really comparable.

Something about Street Fighter is that it's extremely heavily-documented, while Smash 4 is not. At all. You can get better at Street Fighter just by reading stuff or watching things. There are extensive guides and examples to footsies, unlike the Smash Bros neutral game, which is like "Uh, I dunno, maybe do a short hop or something? Neutral air? Just don't get shield grabbed." There are people who actually know things and research things and combos and mixups actually exist rather than nebulous concepts that are dependent on percent, stage position, DI, Rage, and the phase of the moon.

You gotta make the time to enjoy your hobbies man. I won't lie, there's gonna be times where you'll go days without playing a game because you're studying or working or whatever, especially when big tests and shit come up. But you'll always have the time. You just gotta find time and make time.

Whether or not you can git gud at fighters is another story, but hey Hbox found a way and he's a chemical engineer or some shit.

Pretty much all of my time spent practicing video games has been at a university, but I didn't study something like engineering so that's not really comparable.

Something about Street Fighter is that it's extremely heavily-documented, while Smash 4 is not. At all. You can get better at Street Fighter just by reading stuff or watching things. There are extensive guides and examples to footsies, unlike the Smash Bros neutral game, which is like "Uh, I dunno, maybe do a short hop or something? Neutral air? Just don't get shield grabbed." There are people who actually know things and research things and combos and mixups actually exist rather than nebulous concepts that are dependent on percent, stage position, DI, Rage, and the phase of the moon.

I think there is a video game club. I know there is a 3DS club at least. But I am not living on campus, so the only stuff I can play during breaks is my 3DS, Vita, or PC. Unless I was crazy enough to bring my Wii U xD

You gotta make the time to enjoy your hobbies man. I won't lie, there's gonna be times where you'll go days without playing a game because you're studying or working or whatever, especially when big tests and shit come up. But you'll always have the time. You just gotta find time and make time.

Whether or not you can git gud at fighters is another story, but hey Hbox found a way and he's a chemical engineer or some shit.

I definitely know that. I am not the type that can study for multiple hours straight. A fighting game that isn't Smash Bros. just seems like it is a lot harder to get good at. I still have fun in fighters right now when I am garbage. I am so bad I couldn't get far into the 2nd set of rankings in TTT2. When I got SCV, I joined a lobby where two really good players kept destroying me, but it was still fun. The only fighting game that makes me salty is Smash :p Oh and Naruto, but there is some cheap shit in those games.

I think there is a video game club. I know there is a 3DS club at least. But I am not living on campus, so the only stuff I can play during breaks is my 3DS, Vita, or PC. Unless I was crazy enough to bring my Wii U xD

I definitely know that. I am not the type that can study for multiple hours straight. A fighting game that isn't Smash Bros. just seems like it is a lot harder to get good at. I still have fun in fighters right now when I am garbage. I am so bad I couldn't get far into the 2nd set of rankings in TTT2. When I got SCV, I joined a lobby where two really good players kept destroying me, but it was still fun. The only fighting game that makes me salty is Smash :p Oh and Naruto, but there is some cheap shit in those games.
Hope you got Arcana Heart on your Vita.

I don't care what people say I love that game. Also you actually play the UN Storm games online? I mostly just do the story and then bust out Clash of Ninja for my local ninja vs.

Oh yeah and buy Skullgirls

I did engineering in college. You'll be fine, especially the earlier years.

Let me go old-man on you:

Time management is the key in college. Do your work early, spend your breaks between classes doing homework in the lab or library, and you'll have plenty of free time to play games, party, or whatever. Engineering picks up in the later years, but even then if you spend your time wisely, you'll be fine. My first 4.0 was the semester where I played the most FFXI I'd ever played in my life. (God, I feel like that's dating me.)

Hope you got Arcana Heart on your Vita.

I don't care what people say I love that game. Also you actually play the UN Storm games online? I mostly just do the story and then bust out Clash of Ninja for my local ninja vs.

Oh yeah and buy Skullgirls

I barely play my Vita. I would play it a lot more if Sony lowered the price of memory cards, but they won't, so screw them.

I love the Storm series. They might not be the best fighters, but they are still fun. I didn't buy Revolution, so I don't know if they made improvements to the online, but they really just need better netcode and to make searching and getting into matches faster. Once you find someone that has a stable connection, it is pretty good. Unless they play Deidara or some shit like that (Minato for life).

I have Skullgirls on PS3 from PS+. I have downloaded it but never played it because it has like 8 GBs of updates, and that is a dreadful experience to handle on the PS3.

I did engineering in college. You'll be fine, especially the earlier years.

Let me go old-man on you:

Time management is the key in college. Do your work early, spend your breaks between classes doing homework in the lab or library, and you'll have plenty of free time to play games, party, or whatever. Engineering picks up in the later years, but even then if you spend your time wisely, you'll be fine. My first 4.0 was the semester where I played the most FFXI I'd ever played in my life. (God, I feel like that's dating me.)

Alright thanks. Because I will still live at home, I will be spending all my breaks doing work. So I do hope I can get a lot done before even getting home. This isn't possible on Fridays because I have 7 lectures/tutorials in a row.

I am definitely not the party kinda guy.

ESL is joining the Smash hype train and are hosting an online Smash for Wii U tournament starting THIS SUNDAY!
It consists of two qualifiers with top four advancing to the finale where they will have a chance to win some really cool prizes!
If we want ESL to continue with Smash and make it even bigger, we need to show them that we exist, so join these tournaments for the good of Smash!"

You better show em what your made of, NO MERCY!

But really though, good luck man!

Ive been too busy lately to play smash....least it looks like I finshed my bracket since the last guy has yet to fight anyone (last I checked that is), has not responded to my PM either. =|

Banzai

Cool. I'm not great but I'd love to join (and get beaten up mercilessly). I'm trying to sign up now but it wants a Game ID and I have no idea what that is.

Cronox

Banned
One of the best set in the history of Smash.
Abadango vs Dabuz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j7QDPQiWys (EVO)
I know believe Wario can be high tier.

I can't stop watching it!

You mean the match where Dabuz didn't realize he'd used his second jump, and SD'd his first stock, then threw away the next match by deciding to play ultra-defensive with Olimar? That match is just Dabuz taking the SD train to poor decision town.

Uh bowser side b kills pretty early

Not as early as you might think, DI can really help. If you're a character like Yoshi/Captain Falcon, you can probably take a klaw at 125% and live with good DI. Even lighter characters often live it at 100+. The move really stales badly if you use it earlier in the match too. I've literally klawed people 4 times in a row before finally getting the kill just because I started klawing somewhere in the 90% range.

Mostly a running gag. It is frustrating when I carefully chip away at Nami's % for 30 seconds in the neutral, and then he hits me once and gets a combo that evens out the entire match. FAIR AND BALANCED.

Now you know what playing Sheik feels like.

Platform stages don't matter, because the opponent should have enough control over Klaw to prevent Bowser from landing on a platform. Additionally, Bowser doesn't really like platforms for the neutral. Flat stages are best for him. I always ban Delfino and Town and City with him, though I wish Delfino wasn't a stage so I could ban Smashville. Lylat and Battlefield are decent, though, just because platforms cover most of the field for Klaw bonus.

There's a reason Bowser is decidedly mid tier in this game. If he wants to do anything, he needs to take a huge risk. Many of those risks have weak payout, like Klaw and Fortress. If he is going to be better, his options need to be better.

I love platforms as custom Bowser, but outside of some high tier matchups I think platforms often work in Bowser's favor.

Bowser has awful aerial tools. Any Bowser main (ask Magius and Cronoc here) will tell you that. You only go to the air to land Fire Breath, SHADC, or pursue an aerial opponent.

If Bowser had enough aerial control to do a fade-back short hopped fair that would really help. I approach with Bowser's fair more than I should, it's a 50/50 as to whether my opponent has the presence of mind to shield grab me before I land and throw jabs out. It's... not a great 50/50.

Top Bottom