• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

JulianImp

Can I complain about shield spam, or would that be too much?

Helps me understand how much farther past the FG tier I am lol

Nope. Only the latest matches count unless you've been stuck and unable to make any progress for a long while. Even your Zelda a week ago was probably worse than what it is today, so comparing wins and losses from half a year ago makes no sense whatsoever.

Nope. Only the latest matches count unless you've been stuck and unable to make any progress for a long while. Even your Zelda a week ago was probably worse than what it is today, so comparing wins and losses from half a year ago makes no sense whatsoever.

Thats why I only worry about the last 10-50 wins. The rest I don't care about. If I can consistantly keep things going up I know I'm improving. It's the only other valid measurement I got aside from how many stocks/matches against the good gaffers lol

Puruzi

Banned

Am I shielding too much? I don't like getting hit lol

JulianImp

Not really feeling my lack of choices. Pac-Man out.

Edit: You're basically leaving me with no options but to attempt one of Pac-Man's wonky grabs or upB, and neither of those kill, all while using Link's plethora of projectiles to keep me busy and secure hits. It was extremely frustrating.

Boney

Banned
For some reason doc is escaping all my combos. This is super weird, it's such a rare match up I'm weirded out by everything
Nega Mario

Ike too, c'mon up air what's going on

Puruzi

Banned
Not really feeling my lack of choices. Pac-Man out.

Edit: You're basically leaving me with no options but to attempt one of Pac-Man's wonky grabs or upB, and neither of those kill, all while using Link's plethora of projectiles to keep me busy and secure hits. It was extremely frustrating.

Ah, yeah I can see how that's messed up. Pac's grab isn't really a viable option against shields. My b.

JulianImp

How often do you find yourself mashing buttons?

Top 8 at Evo not good enough?

Conext, my dear Karst. Puruzi was playing an extremely shield-happy Link that punished my pokes and forced me to go for grabs and upB to get through it, knowing that neither of those can KO reliably or flow into any sort of powerful combo.

I switched to Roy and shielding no longer is a dominant strategy against me, since his throws are a lot more of a threat than Pac's.

Edit: No hard feelings, Puruzi. That's a valid strategy, only I still haven't found a way around it, so it becomes a snooze fest of getting my fruits stuffed by your projectiles, my lack of range against Link's sword attacks and the punishes I kept eating whenever I hit your shield. Common logic dictates I should grab more aggressively, but then I was eating fsmashes for days. Up-B and its 7% damage and awful knockback weren't going to KO you anytime soon, either.

Puruzi

Banned
Conext, my dear Karst. Puruzi was playing an extremely shield-happy Link that punished my pokes and forced me to go for grabs and upB to get through it, knowing that neither of those can KO reliably or flow into any sort of powerful combo.

I switched to Roy and shielding no longer is a dominant strategy against me, since his throws are a lot more of a threat than Pac's.

I mean to be fair, I shield a whole bunch regardless of what character i'm playing against or using :X

Well yea, different characters require different strategies. With pac it is all about the setup and not just throwing fruit hoping it will hit. Gotta set that trap man

The reason abadongo did so well at Evo was because he was thinking 3 or 4 moves ahead

JulianImp

Well yea, different characters require different strategies. With pac it is all about the setup and not just throwing fruit hoping it will hit. Gotta set that trap man

The reason abadongo did so well at Evo was because he was thinking 3 or 4 moves ahead

I know. It's really hard when Link can cancel any fruits, threaten to break hydrants from the other side of the stage with his arrows and then sit in his shield forever knowing I can't punish that reliably, and that he'll take a bit of damage and get back to neutral fairly easily after any succesful punish of mine.

...Or does Pac-Man have any good moves or tactics against shields?

Boney

Banned
Guess I'm getting too used to people not DIing away from the up airs. Haven't gotten any up air combos...

Ouch, that up smash hurts so bad
Ayyy that back air

Edit: No hard feelings, Puruzi. That's a valid strategy, only I still haven't found a way around it, so it becomes a snooze fest of getting my fruits stuffed by your projectiles, my lack of range against Link's sword attacks and the punishes I kept eating whenever I hit your shield. Common logic dictates I should grab more aggressively, but then I was eating fsmashes for days. Up-B and its 7% damage and awful knockback weren't going to KO you anytime soon, either.
Context is that you keep playing your character and get better. ;)

I noticed it. Nair to ground, Bair to ground, Dair to ground, mashing jab or ftilt. I picked up on those after our first game and used them against you the rest of the time. Think about a situation like me being in the corner. You are jabbing just out of range because it is scary, but because you are mashing, I can roll back and Dtilt you for a punish. You should throw out one jab, and see if it scares me into a roll. Then punish the roll. If I don't roll, think about going for the grab, or using Fire Breath.

I love your Fire Breath usage. Use it when your opponent recovers to the ledge, too. It gimps Little Mac with ease.

#1 thing to work on is pushing buttons precisely. No mashing. You are a smart player in general, but you don't play with a lot of patience. You actually remind me a lot of Cronoc, except that you don't recover safely. Landing with Bair and Nair are always bad ideas. If you are feeling the Dair, go for it now and then, but that's it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Play Cronoc on here, and also MagiusNecros if he still keeps up with Bowser.

Good games Karsticles!
Thanks, you too! I don't know who to use in FFA with items. Mewtwo is too light, and Bowser bounces around too much. -_-

Boney

Banned
What the hell happened to my Fox? I'm doing literally nothing right, yet I was playing the best Doc earlier.
Suprised I was doing so good, it's one of the worst match ups (well Mario and doc are also one of the worst). Surprised how good fox up air is on shield. Dr was taking away my second jump so I was good for combos, but I could use some experience with hin

And that ending, lmaooo

Suprised I was doing so good, it's one of the worst match ups (well Mario and doc are also one of the worst). Surprised how good fox up air is on shield. Dr was taking away my second jump so I was good for combos, but I could use some experience with hin

And that ending, lmaooo

Does your up-b have invincibility on startup? You'd have to be frame perfect to interrupt Falco's multihit fair now without invincibility.

JulianImp

Context is that you keep playing your character and get better. ;)

Puruzi was happily sitting in shield whenever I got close. Please tell me how I am supposed to beat that when the two moves I know I can reliably use to punish shields lead to nothing, and with no powerful move that can pressure shields. I had to get uncomfortably close to do anything due to Pac-Man's lack of range on all of his normals, and whenever I whiffed Link would just slash at me with an usmash, upB or even an utilt. If I staid far away, all I could do was charge my fruits... oh, and Link can simply duck to block any of them, sadly.

Alright I got bored so I am not entirely confident with all the placing minus SS and S tiers. This is no customs. I am not familiar enough with Ryu to know where to place him yet. I already think he is mid tier at least

yOVseUp.png

Boney

Banned
I'm astonished at how many up b oos I'm getting. I never get so many, you're being to careless there

Alright I got bored so I am not entirely confident with all the placing minus SS and S tiers. This is no customs. I am not familiar enough with Ryu to know where to place him yet. I already think he is mid tier at least
Yusss samus you go girl

i think you're over rating her

Thulius

Puruzi was happily sitting in shield whenever I got close. Please tell me how I am supposed to beat that when the two moves I know I can reliably use to punish shields lead to nothing, and with no powerful move that can pressure shields. I had to get uncomfortably close to do anything due to Pac-Man's lack of range on all of his normals, and whenever I whiffed Link would just slash at me with an usmash, upB or even an utilt. If I staid far away, all I could do was charge my fruits... oh, and Link can simply duck to block any of them, sadly.

I mean if shields are your problem just do things that are safe on shield. Space Fairs, chuck fruit, give Link a reason to move around before you go in. You don't have to be landing a hit to be playing an effective neutral game. Toss a melon and approach behind it or something. You literally have the most versatile projectile in the game.

Also, I want to play the video game.

FSLink

Banned
Is this in order? ROB is pretty good but he suffers from pretty bad matchups and susceptible to juggling due to his size. I usually have him at the end of the Ness/Fox/Mario/etc tier due to this.

JulianImp

Fully charged rage Bowser fsmash... shield breaks are a thing of beauty.

Edit: I mean, I guess I might try to get past that sometime later, but I'm not in the mood for trying really hard with that kind of stuff today.

I'm astonished at how many up b oos I'm getting. I never get so many, you're being to careless there

Yusss samus you go girl

i think you're over rating her

You're literally the only Samus I fight consistently and we haven't played in forever, sue me for feeling her out to see what she can do.

No really, sue me. I'll fly you to America and we'll settle this in the Supreme Court
of Smash

You need to learn what tools Pac-man has to break shields. Pressure the shield to force the roll, then punish. Mewtwo also has an awful grab, but I never complain about shields because I know how to best them.

Top Bottom