• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

They mostly ported Brawl animations for many characters. Why wouldn't they do the same for Squirtle and Ivysaur? I compared them to Wolf and Snake because they would require about the same level of effort. They would require less effort than a new character and less effort than Ice Climbers for technical reasons.

Bomba Blue I believe.
You can't just port an animation onto a new model across an entire generation of gaming. It doesn't work that way. Undoubtedly, the old models served as a great reference, and Sakurai's team tried to emulate the style. It is all still done fresh, though. Even Mewtwo's voice was redone, even though it sounds identical to Melee. His team is just that talented.

I definitely forsee Wolf. I wouldn't be surprised if they revamp one of the forgotten Pokemon either (squirtle or ivysaur)

I don't know about August, but I'd put money down on Wolf returning sometime later this year. He's more than likely already in development. I'm much less confident about Squirtle and/or Ivysaur, because having eight or nine Pokémon in the roster (if we include Pichu) just seems kind of lopsided and unlikely.

Of the three, though, I imagine Ivysaur is the "most" likely since we already have a Water-type with Greninja. I still don't think any of them are returning, though.

That thing about K. Rool's name suddenly being trademarked in the Virtual Console description for DK: King of Swing, even after it wasn't in the VC descriptions for the Donkey Kong Country games, is pretty interesting. I wonder if he's really on the way? Can't say I'd be particularly excited about him - I'd much prefer Dixie - but I know he has a lot of fans, so I'd be happy for them at least!

Hatchtag

Banned
You can't just port an animation onto a new model across an entire generation of gaming. It doesn't work that way. Undoubtedly, the old models served as a great reference, and Sakurai's team tried to emulate the style. It is all still done fresh, though. Even Mewtwo's voice was redone, even though it sounds identical to Melee. His team is just that talented.

I donno. I think they'd have changed them up some more if there wasn't some porting being done to a degree. And Mewtwo was redone completely because of issues porting things from Melee. If he had voice clips in Brawl, they certainly would've reused them like they did for a lot of characters.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
(Cross post from other thread)

I decided to put the roster together with colored backgrounds, and I thought it look pretty gorgeous. I can't wait for complete roster with all downloadable characters. :)

Wlx5VM6.png
Y5xfGlV.png
FobXiAJ.png
G7WWVrf.png
8HFadnN.png
Jcjwtd2.png
L6hnajF.png
ZWbXFjC.png

SwFZd5V.png
Lyzn85f.png
oQozGUP.png
8OdVUKG.png
9Q2fAdq.png
YVyopkE.png
wajZEJv.png
iFnrLYB.png

qJwbIj6.png
UO5Do28.png
O13ObvY.png
Sh0Gewt.png
lU3BuSV.png
AXXRiJX.png
6OCNRNT.png
9lPhbG6.png

4mKFyl2.png
if9RC0V.png
zw5vLIC.png
k64tVq2.png
tdfFeM4.png
YOIMUMK.png
PQnEgW4.png
BmQ0psX.png

S4nBfi2.png
0BsogIN.png
YhezvXd.png
qiPMJba.png
VzLaY42.png
TJ3Ujt7.png
u0Ta1Z9.png
pt8iHWI.png

I03962U.png
lyPqHgM.png
JFFgyuw.png
sjLqTyK.png
XkMaeCf.png
3odfyBS.png
agVlHLL.png
iHiDj3R.png

iRRDKWv.png
8WH6Z57.png
mIfJzYS.png
cOI1Vyh.png
cOI1Vyh.png
cOZr3o7.png
evIgbOt.png
jE5XBRq.png

ehDYXhp.png
YAE91WQ.png

I don't know about August, but I'd put money down on Wolf returning sometime later this year. He's more than likely already in development. I'm much less confident about Squirtle and/or Ivysaur, because having eight or nine Pokémon in the roster (if we include Pichu) just seems kind of lopsided and unlikely.

I dunno. I have a weird feeling that we are going to get at least one character this August but I could be wrong tho.

I donno. I think they'd have changed them up some more if there wasn't some porting being done to a degree. And Mewtwo was redone completely because of issues porting things from Melee. If he had voice clips in Brawl, they certainly would've reused them like they did for a lot of characters.
They don't get changed for the same reason Dorf sucks still. Sakurai thinks there are devoted fans that will be upset if their character is changed. The only heavily revamped characters have been Bowser and Roy, right? As a Bowser main, I was initially upset by his changes. Roy is a clone, so everyone is relieved he got changed.

I would totally main him

what this game needs is more Fire Emblem characters, bring Hector and Ephraim, now we have the triangle weapon system in smash
just half serious... but more serious P:
How about a bow character with no melee attacks? Lol

Hatchtag

Banned
They don't get changed for the same reason Dorf sucks still. Sakurai thinks there are devoted fans that will be upset if their character is changed. The only heavily revamped characters have been Bowser and Roy, right? As a Bowser main, I was initially upset by his changes. Roy is a clone, so everyone is relieved he got changed.

Yeah, I get that he doesn't change them. But I feel like more of the animations wouldn't look like straight ports if they weren't straight ports. And even if they are making them incredibly similar from scratch, I got to imagine copying animations is easier than making new ones.

Sidenote, I feel like Sakurai's right about there being devoted Dorf fans, but for his Melee moveset. Just keep the side B from Smash 4 and bring him back to Melee speed and he'd be perfect. I mean, yeah it's essentially slower Falcon, but it's better than he is now. In Melee he seemed like some sort of judo master or something because even though he was slower, he wasn't all that slow. In Brawl and Smash 4, he just feels like an old man because he's so slow. Smash 4 at least gave him some more power, but it didn't do enough to change how damn slow he feels.

I would totally main him

what this game needs is more Fire Emblem characters, bring Hector and Ephraim, now we have the triangle weapon system in smash
just half serious... but more serious P:

I actually kinda want Aqua. Represents a Dance character (ok she's a singer but whatever) and she's enough of a main character to warrant being in.

(Cross post from other thread)

I decided to put the roster together with colored backgrounds, and I thought it look pretty gorgeous. I can't wait for complete roster with all downloadable characters. :)

Wlx5VM6.png
Y5xfGlV.png
FobXiAJ.png
G7WWVrf.png
Jcjwtd2.png
L6hnajF.png
ZWbXFjC.png
8HFadnN.png

SwFZd5V.png
Lyzn85f.png
oQozGUP.png
8OdVUKG.png
9Q2fAdq.png
YVyopkE.png
wajZEJv.png
iFnrLYB.png

qJwbIj6.png
UO5Do28.png
O13ObvY.png
Sh0Gewt.png
lU3BuSV.png
AXXRiJX.png
6OCNRNT.png
9lPhbG6.png

4mKFyl2.png
if9RC0V.png
zw5vLIC.png
k64tVq2.png
tdfFeM4.png
S4nBfi2.png
0BsogIN.png
YhezvXd.png

qiPMJba.png
VzLaY42.png
I03962U.png
lyPqHgM.png
JFFgyuw.png
sjLqTyK.png
XkMaeCf.png
3odfyBS.png

PQnEgW4.png
BmQ0psX.png
TJ3Ujt7.png
u0Ta1Z9.png
pt8iHWI.png
agVlHLL.png
iHiDj3R.png
iRRDKWv.png

8WH6Z57.png
mIfJzYS.png
cOI1Vyh.png
cOI1Vyh.png
jE5XBRq.png
ehDYXhp.png
YAE91WQ.png

Nice job! I love the colored backgrounds - this is indeed gorgeous to behold!

Every single time I see the CSS in Smash Wii U and 3DS, I am floored all over again. Sakurai and his team really did it - they brought us the ultimate, utterly-comprehensive Smash roster that includes almost every notable Nintendo, third-party, and fan-favorite character that has been widely requested throughout the series' history (Ridley being the one notable exception). I mean, it's just a legendary character lineup. No future fighting game is likely to ever have this incredible a roster ever again (save for Smash 5, and maybe not even that since they're going to have to stop making the roster even bigger at some point)... man, what a wonderful time to be a Smash fan.

I'm also utterly impressed that not only is Smash Wii U/3DS's roster the biggest in the series, it's also the most balanced roster in the series by far... or at least the most balanced one since Smash 64. Of course this game has its generally agreed-upon strongest and weakest characters, but there's no character in this game that is utterly broken or impossibly better than the rest like Fox/Falco/Marth/Sheik/Peach in Melee and Meta Knight in Brawl. The gulf between the best and the worst in Wii U/3DS is far narrower than that of any other game in the series save for maybe Smash 64, and I still can't fathom how Sakurai did it. Melee had 25 characters and Brawl had 39, and both were incredibly unbalanced... yet Wii U/3DS has 55 (so far!) and it somehow isn't, or at least isn't as much. What an accomplishment.

Hatchtag

Banned
Nice job! I love the colored backgrounds - this is indeed gorgeous to behold!

Every single time I see the CSS in Smash Wii U and 3DS, I am floored all over again. Sakurai and his team really did it - they brought us the ultimate, utterly-comprehensive Smash roster that includes almost every notable Nintendo, third-party, and fan-favorite character that has been widely requested throughout the series' history (Ridley being the one notable exception). I mean, it's just a legendary character lineup. No future fighting game is likely to ever have this incredible a roster ever again (save for Smash 5, and maybe not even that since they're going to have to stop making the roster even bigger at some point)... man, what a wonderful time to be a Smash fan.

I'm also utterly impressed that not only is Smash Wii U/3DS's roster the biggest in the series, it's also the most balanced roster in the series by far... or at least the most balanced one since Smash 64. Of course this game has its generally agreed-upon strongest and weakest characters, but there's no character in this game that is utterly broken or impossibly better than the rest like Fox/Falco/Marth/Sheik/Peach in Melee and Meta Knight in Brawl. The gulf between the best and the worst in Wii U/3DS is far narrower than that of any other game in the series save for maybe Smash 64, and I still can't fathom how Sakurai did it. Melee had 25 characters and Brawl had 39, and both were incredibly unbalanced... yet Wii U/3DS has 55 (so far!) and it somehow isn't, or at least isn't as much. What an accomplishment.

SSB4 is well balanced and better balanced than Melee, but I think Melee isn't too unbalanced for its time. 14 characters are pretty usable. If you go by percent, its worse than 64, but if you go by usable characters, its better.

I would prefer they redo Ganondorf, but I don't see it happening. He's now been a floating wizard, a fast guy with two swords, a huge guy with a sword, a huge, long-haired guy with two big swords. And we still just have chunky, power-walking Falcondorf.

I would prefer they redo Ganondorf, but I don't see it happening. He's now been a floating wizard, a fast guy with two swords, a huge guy with a sword, a huge, long-haired guy with two big swords. And we still just have chunky, power-walking Falcondorf.
It would be nice if that F-Zero villain got the moveset, and Ganondorf was redone from scratch.

Hatchtag

Banned
Would be funny, although I'd rather have Hades with his own moveset.

I'm biased because Hades is one of my most wanted characters and Ganondorf has my favorite moveset.

That would be an incredible insult to Hades.

Realistically speaking, he's a villain in one game that's already over-represented in a series that's already over-represented. His chances of getting an original moveset is slim to none. His chances of getting a clone moveset are slim as hell too, but being similar looking to Dorf certainly doesn't hurt.

Realistically speaking, he's a villain in one game that's already over-represented in a series that's already over-represented. His chances of getting an original moveset is slim to none. His chances of getting a clone moveset are slim as hell too, but being similar looking to Dorf certainly doesn't hurt.
Realistically speaking, none of that matters.

SSB4 is well balanced and better balanced than Melee, but I think Melee isn't too unbalanced for its time. 14 characters are pretty usable. If you go by percent, its worse than 64, but if you go by usable characters, its better.

Good point!

Black Shadow getting it would be cool, but I think Hades getting it could work as well. I could even see him commenting on it or something.

I would lose my shit if Hades was added to Smash. Incredible villain with an incredible voice actor from an incredible game. <3

He really should have been an Assist Trophy, at least.

Clefargle

So I'm gonna get a GC adapter and finally switch from my pro controller. Trying to do perfect pivot combos with extra 3 frames of input lag sucks. Also, any of you use monitors for low lag play? I feel like I'm playing through a thin layer of butter every time I play on anything other than the Gamepad screen.

Just had a Sonic rage quit while I was beating him with Mewtwo :)

Screw Metroid. I voted for Paper Mario.

Haha, wow. I lost to a Yoshi while going random and I was Zelda. I switched to Yoshi because I had to show this guy how the character should be played. He was doing it all wrong. I 2-stocked him as Yoshi, and then I 2-stocked him when he switched to Mega Man. He then switched his tags to "THX" and "SPAM". I didn't even employ anti-Tipster strategies against him. I was full aggressive mode. I hope he abandons Yoshi. Yoshi doesn't need people like him.

I'd rather have 10 new Pokemon and Mario characters than Ridley. :p
Why? :(

Though I would take a pack of 10 Pokemon over Ridley, too. Just numbers, yknow? Give me Blastoise with a chargeable water cannon and Fortress. ;D

Just had a Sonic rage quit while I was beating him with Mewtwo :)

Screw Metroid. I voted for Paper Mario.

Haha, wow. I lost to a Yoshi while going random and I was Zelda. I switched to Yoshi because I had to show this guy how the character should be played. He was doing it all wrong. I 2-stocked him as Yoshi, and then I 2-stocked him when he switched to Mega Man. He then switched his tags to "THX" and "SPAM". I didn't even employ anti-Tipster strategies against him. I was full aggressive mode. I hope he abandons Yoshi. Yoshi doesn't need people like him.
Yeah, he makes Yoshi look less than top tier.

Wtf @ Paper Mario. Get some taste man.

Lots of Nair against that Sonic?

Yeah, he makes Yoshi look less than top tier.

Wtf @ Paper Mario. Get some taste man.

Lots of Nair against that Sonic?

Yoshi isn't top tier, he is high tier. So yes, he did make Yoshi look less than top tier. But someone that is going to use an excuse like spam for why he lost should just go play a different character. Yoshi can play ranged or in your face, so he has all the tools to deal with "spam". That, and he wasn't even using Yoshi's best tools a lot.

Paper Mario is amazing. A proper Paper Mario would be really cool, and should also be really good. There is so much they could do with him. Not my fault he isn't a villain. I don't want Wolf in the game. I would be fine with Ridley. Best case would be Paper Mario, Ridley, King K. Rool, Inklings, and a bunch of other cool newcomers. Screw the returning veterans.

Some nair, but a lot of aerials. He was pretty bad, especially to rage quit against my Mewtwo. I have had a few rage quit against my Luigi and Yoshi today, but Mewtwo was surprising. I have the replay if you want it. It isn't very long.

Boney

Banned
I'm still salty that Kumatora isn't an alt color for Lucas.

Also in terms of balancing we finally have patches so that helps

Ya'll can take your Ridleys and Paper Marios and
hang onto 'em while my votes, the Chorus Kids and Shovel Knight, get added to the roster first. <3

But yeah, Karst, that was uncalled for. Taste that doesn't align with yours does not = no taste. :/

This has probably been discussed several times here, but what are you all hoping for out of the tournament mode?

Something that is functional, intuitive, and allows me to Smash with all the GameXplain fans who have been hounding me for matches ever since the game released without needing to have room for them all on my friends list (since that's impossible)!

And ideally, it will allow for matches that aren't fucking timed 2-stock battles with random regular or omega stage selection. I want actual customization of my online matches!

Ryce

You can't just port an animation onto a new model across an entire generation of gaming.
That's not true at all. Animation data isn't arbitrarily confined to a "generation." Tekken is notorious for porting animations wholesale from game to game, and there are still some untouched PS2 animations in the current WWE wrestling games. Melee animations are too old and wonky to port over, but Brawl and Smash 4 share the same animation aesthetic. Several returning characters have new or modified animations, but someone like Mario shares 99% of his animation set with Brawl.

Two Mother characters are enough, although I would throw a rave party if we got another one.

Anyway...I've returned to playing Smash after a brief absence and was thinking of hosting some free-for-all party matches where rules/banned stages and items/version of choice can be set to your preference (I'm generally okay with anything except for the Gust Bellows). Basically, anything goes so long as it still maintains a "party" atmosphere. Not sure on the date yet, but maybe later this week? Let me know if you're in.

Oidisco

Who said anything about Ridley?

I actually voted for Dark Samus in that character Ballot thing. It won't ever happen but there's a lot of interesting things they could do with a moveset for DS that would really make her stand out.

And guys, obviously the next Mother character is going to be Buzz Buzz!

There's no need to be upset, lol. It's not like I choose the roster. If I did, we wouldn't have Mii garbage in this game.

That's not true at all. Animation data isn't arbitrarily confined to a "generation." Tekken is notorious for porting animations wholesale from game to game, and there are still some untouched PS2 animations in the current WWE wrestling games. Melee animations are too old and wonky to port over, but Brawl and Smash 4 share the same animation aesthetic. Several returning characters have new or modified animations, but someone like Mario shares 99% of his animation set with Brawl.
If the model changes, you lose attachment points for the skeletal structure, or they shift such that the animation no longer works. Tekken works because they basically use the same model formulation for everyone, but Tekken has the shittiest animations in the fighting game realm. Even a TNA game like DoA looks better.

Yoshi isn't top tier, he is high tier. So yes, he did make Yoshi look less than top tier. But someone that is going to use an excuse like spam for why he lost should just go play a different character. Yoshi can play ranged or in your face, so he has all the tools to deal with "spam". That, and he wasn't even using Yoshi's best tools a lot.

Paper Mario is amazing. A proper Paper Mario would be really cool, and should also be really good. There is so much they could do with him. Not my fault he isn't a villain. I don't want Wolf in the game. I would be fine with Ridley. Best case would be Paper Mario, Ridley, King K. Rool, Inklings, and a bunch of other cool newcomers. Screw the returning veterans.

Some nair, but a lot of aerials. He was pretty bad, especially to rage quit against my Mewtwo. I have had a few rage quit against my Luigi and Yoshi today, but Mewtwo was surprising. I have the replay if you want it. It isn't very long.
I think we are really scratching the bottom of the barrel when Mario #3 gets added in. It would be like adding NES Pit as a character. I don't dislike him because he isn't a villain. Inklings would be cool, for example. I can appreciate characters I won't play getting on. I just don't see why Paper Mario needs to be a character. Why not Paper Luigi, Paper Peach, and Paper Bowser, too? Doesn't that seem extremely lame to you all?

Eh, I have played enough bad Yoshi mains to be good on the replay. Anyone who complains about spam in a fighting game is a loser anyway.

SoldnerKei

I actually kinda want Aqua. Represents a Dance character (ok she's a singer but whatever) and she's enough of a main character to warrant being in.

I haven't seen much from Aqua, but Dancer would be an interesting class to see it on smash, I mean, WFT got her exercise routine as attacks lol

How about a bow character with no melee attacks? Lol

Shinon becomes playable and his icon is besides Ike just to annoy the shit out of Shinon.
thou I think most people would hate to play against a full zoner haha

Hatchtag

Banned
Is there any character other than Paper Mario that would be super fitting to rep the Mario RPGs? I feel like they deserve representation, but Paper Mario being a third Mario would be weird. Geno's never going to happen and honestly probably shouldn't.

Boney

Banned
My most wanted character was Jill from Drill Dozer, but with Bowser jr in, it's impossible now :(

Anyways I'm around to play for a bit

Ryce

If the model changes, you lose attachment points for the skeletal structure, or they shift such that the animation no longer works. Tekken works because they basically use the same model formulation for everyone, but Tekken has the shittiest animations in the fighting game realm. Even a TNA game like DoA looks better.
That's not a problem for Smash, though. The new models aren't so complex as to render Brawl's animations unusable. Just look at this:

https://twitter.com/RandomTBush/status/612465220481515522
https://twitter.com/RandomTBush/status/612535804833976320

Thulius

I think we are really scratching the bottom of the barrel when Mario #3 gets added in. It would be like adding NES Pit as a character. I don't dislike him because he isn't a villain. Inklings would be cool, for example. I can appreciate characters I won't play getting on. I just don't see why Paper Mario needs to be a character. Why not Paper Luigi, Paper Peach, and Paper Bowser, too? Doesn't that seem extremely lame to you all?

The difference is Paper Mario has an entire series of games with 0 representation beyond trophies and a single 3DS stage. Helper attacks alone could make up an entirely unique moveset. Let him use the hammer for his primary attacks. Give him timing based stuff for buffed/unique versions of his moves. There's so much you could do without having to borrow anything at all from regular Mario.

On the spectrum of "different version of the same character" it doesn't get much more radical than Mario vs Paper Mario.

Boney

Banned
Yeah I'd love paper Mario as well because he would be a very different character, more so than all the semi clones like Falco and Ganon.

That's not a problem for Smash, though. The new models aren't so complex as to render Brawl's animations unusable. Just look at this:

https://twitter.com/RandomTBush/status/612465220481515522
https://twitter.com/RandomTBush/status/612535804833976320
Hmmm. I can't pretend to be able to see the fine differences, but I see where you are coming from. On the other hand, Sakurai has been clear that it is all done from the ground up.

The difference is Paper Mario has an entire series of games with 0 representation beyond trophies and a single 3DS stage. Helper attacks alone could make up an entirely unique moveset. Let him use the hammer for his primary attacks. Give him timing based stuff for buffed/unique versions of his moves. There's so much you could do without having to borrow anything at all from regular Mario.

On the spectrum of "different version of the same character" it doesn't get much more radical than Mario vs Paper Mario.
I get all that, but you could do SM64 Mario and give him an up B that flies, a side B that is his running long jump (attack cancelable), a neutral B that gives him metal form, and a down B butt stomp, and he would be unique, too. Then do one for 3D World, Galaxy, etc. Gameplay can't be the excuse, because there are plenty of other options.

I just think there have to be other options besides Paper Mario himself. Are there any other noteworthy recurring characters in the Paper Mario series?

SoldnerKei

someday I'll have my swordman Ganondorf
he'll have Ike's moveset

yo, remember those days when we said that we wanted Megaman in smash but that never was going to happen?!

Believe in your strengths, believe.

now get me Leon S. Kennedy capcom

Top Bottom