• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Crayolan

Bold-faced lies.

If Paper Mario and doc are ever in the same smash game I'm going to learn PM and destroy you.

TTYD>SS+BiS
PM64>whatever else there is in the M&L series

I love M&L but I can't deal with all this wrongness.

But how many non-Mario characters would it be better than? That is the real question.

I'd take Paper Mario over everything except Ice Climbers or a Rhythm Heaven rep.

Thulius

But how many non-Mario characters would it be better than? That is the real question.

Without going into obscure territory that I don't think has any real chance... kind of a lot!

Only things I can immediately think of I'd want more are a rhythm heaven rep and like... WW Ganondorf? But I'd prefer they just made the current Ganondorf a real character.

Ridley would be cool, but you already know.

If Paper Mario and doc are ever in the same smash game I'm going to learn PM and destroy you.

TTYD>SS+BiS
PM64>whatever else there is in the M&L series

I love M&L but I can't deal with all this wrongness.

I'd take Paper Mario over everything except Ice Climbers or a Rhythm Heaven rep.

Given how Doc will be forever average in every Smash game I have no doubt that Paper Mario will follow the trend and be low-tier. I have no fear.

Speaking of Rhythm Heaven, I want Karate Joe assist trophy and bring in something like the DJ's or Dog Ninja or even the rhythm monkeys, fuck the Glee Club (chorus kids as you all call them.) Their minigame was ass and I hated having to perfect both it and the sequel version.

JulianImp

I always wanted Simon Belmont, but I'm kind of afraid he'd be doing too many things similarily to Link to warrant an addition, since I do agree with Sakurai's view that characters should do something unique to be worthy additions to the roster.

Then there's Phoenix Wright, who looked like an interesting enough character to get some kind of crazy moveset like in MvC, even though he'd be yet another third party.

I had never considered it, but agree that Paper Mario could do some interesting things even if all they used were the paper mechanics from his games. Even without partners, he could fold into a plane for his up b, roll up into a tube for shield rolls, use his hammer for jabs and use star power or some sticker for his final smash. He could also have lots of aerial control (but probably not as much as Jiggs, though) to make for a unique playstyle as well.

As much as I love Ridley, he just can't do enough unique things now. He'd probably be some sort of Bowser/Charizard rip-off unless they made him Meta Ridley and gave him lots of hi-tech moves. Even then, he's already a boss character in the game.

Seeing Wolf again would be cool, and they'd save lots of time and money on him since they could reuse his old voice clips, and his final smash could again be a retextured Landmaster with some tweaked variables.

Boney

Banned
Mario and Luigi is the better series. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is the best game out of either series though
Truth

Btw, wanna chime in the ness-samus match up? Samus boards thinks it's 60:40 for samus but I disagree just because ness is an overall better character than can ko very easily, completely fuck up samus recovery and combo to hell and back. Samus boards goes, nair Isnt that good it has tons of landing lag! And he's slow so you can easily out space him so as long as he's not close to you you should be golden

RomanceDawn

I always wanted Simon Belmont, but I'm kind of afraid he'd be doing too many things similarily to Link to warrant an addition, since I do agree with Sakurai's view that characters should do something unique to be worthy additions to the roster.

Then there's Phoenix Wright, who looked like an interesting enough character to get some kind of crazy moveset like in MvC, even though he'd be yet another third party.

I had never considered it, but agree that Paper Mario could do some interesting things even if all they used were the paper mechanics from his games. Even without partners, he could fold into a plane for his up b, roll up into a tube for shield rolls, use his hammer for jabs and use star power or some sticker for his final smash. He could also have lots of aerial control (but probably not as much as Jiggs, though) to make for a unique playstyle as well.

As much as I love Ridley, he just can't do enough unique things now. He'd probably be some sort of Bowser/Charizard rip-off unless they made him Meta Ridley and gave him lots of hi-tech moves. Even then, he's already a boss character in the game.

Seeing Wolf again would be cool, and they'd save lots of time and money on him since they could reuse his old voice clips, and his final smash could again be a retextured Landmaster with some tweaked variables.

Of all the Ridley complaints this is the ONE thing that I do agree with. I too feel he could end up some sort of Bowser Charizard hybrid. Of course being a mostly melee fighter there is an infinite number of ways he could go about attacking. I figure to differentiate him then his tail would need more focus in his move set. The one thing I always imagined him doing was that pogo stick bounce he does in Super Metroid. I always imagined it would function like Greninja's froggy hop bounce thing but much less safe.

Truth

Btw, wanna chime in the ness-samus match up? Samus boards thinks it's 60:40 for samus but I disagree just because ness is an overall better character than can ko very easily, completely fuck up samus recovery and combo to hell and back. Samus boards goes, nair Isnt that good it has tons of landing lag! And he's slow so you can easily out space him so as long as he's not close to you you should be golden

People say to go to Smashboards to get better, but it seems to me a lot of them suck and are talking out of their asses.

Boney

Banned
People say to go to Smashboards to get better, but it seems to me a lot of them suck and are talking out of their asses.
I mean, these guys are probably better than me. First guy at least does a few very creative stuff and the other two at least put a lot of work developing the metagame.

Although the last guy put Shiek, Pikachu and fox as 40:60
I can't even

They're just super delusional as to how good Samus is I guess. I don't think she's as bad as most tiers put her but overall she's not gonna be in the top 40

Oidisco

Truth

I highly disagree with them. I'm not a Samus main but I'm pretty decent with her, and I just can't see how she could possibly have a positive matchup against Ness. He has superior combos, neutral game, kill moves, edge-guarding, projectiles (in my opinion), he can absorb/reflect all her projectiles and a bunch of other things I can't think of right now.

I mean, these guys are probably better than me. First guy at least does a few very creative stuff and the other two at least put a lot of work developing the metagame.

Although the last guy put Shiek, Pikachu and fox as 40:60
I can't even

They're just super delusional as to how good Samus is I guess. I don't think she's as bad as most tiers put her but overall she's not gonna be in the top 40

Samus having a positive matchup against Sheik

Have they ever played a good Sheik before

Hell my Sheik is totally mediocre right now and you said that was probably the hardest matchup you had to play in our previous session.

Edit: And now I'm trying to figure out who can have a positive matchup against Sheik. Rosalina?

Hatchtag

Banned
I wouldn't want a rushed Ridley that didn't end up being super creative. I hope if he ever does get in that he is the biggest character in the game. With how well balanced Smash 4 is, I think they could do that and still make it work.

Truth

I honestly couldn't tell you because you are probably the only Samus I remember ever playing, lol. I don't have enough matchup experience to make a determination. I don't think the matchup is one sided at all

Oidisco

Oh man, I'm soooo happy right now!

I just came across a player on FG who I've fought a bunch of times since the game came out. He plays Wario and used to destroy me every time we played, no matter what character I used.
This time, the matches were close but I was able to beat him in every game we played. Feels so good to know that I've actually improved at this game!

Hell my Sheik is totally mediocre right now and you said that was probably the hardest matchup you had to play in our previous session.

Edit: And now I'm trying to figure out who can have a positive matchup against Sheik. Rosalina?

Lucario only because of Aura.
Mario but only barely if he does.
Let's say Rosalina just because Rosalina is the other undisputed top tier and is annoying as hell.

Internet still not fixed.

Boney

Banned

No, 40:60 to Samus, so a disadvantage.
I think they are 30:70 for samus. Heck make it 250:75 for Shiek and Pikachu. Just completely unwinnable. Shiek is just Shiek, has amazing frame data and samus can't do anything against her pressure and she even has a better long range game that completely counters her zoning. Pikachu's hurtbox is so small that a lot of samus attacks can whiff, like jab, ftilt and fsmash. Impossible to deal with the quick attacks, combos and relentless pressure he can make. Straight up murder.

I honestly couldn't tell you because you are probably the only Samus I remember ever playing, lol. I don't have enough matchup experience to make a determination. I don't think the matchup is one sided at all
Ah you might be right. I think it's 40:60 for samus. There's a disadvantage but it's definately winnable. I'd even accept a 50:50 even though I wouldn't agree.
Makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills lol

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
At long, Waluigi stay away from playable character roster in Smash 4 then I'm fine with anyone that are worthy to be in the game. He's just a terrible character and I couldn't understand why people like him so much. Is it because he's a loser?

JulianImp

At long, Waluigi stay away from playable character roster in Smash 4 then I'm fine with anyone that are worthy to be in the game. He's just a terrible character and I couldn't understand why people like him so much. Is it because he's a loser?

Waluigi appears to be the ultimate ensemble darkhorse of gaming. At least I liked him in Mario Tennis because of his ridiculous, crazy range.

Thulius

I'd be fine with Waluigi as some bizarre amalgamation of Mario sports references, but I guess there are people who'd prefer Daisy for that?

I don't know, they're both nothing characters otherwise.

E: I'll be around for the next hour or so if anyone wants to 1v1.

Immobile

Neo Member
Seeing that you guys are talking about the Sheik matchups don't know if this was already discussed here but just saw some hype match where a 14 year old kid from Mexico who mains Meta Knight 2 stocks Mr. R's Sheik (2nd at Evo) two times at Grand Finals of a big tournament yesterday in Mexico. A really hype match, at the end Leo (the MK player) called out zero and said he is gonna 2 stock him lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4R0pXrC-dg

Seeing that you guys are talking about the Sheik matchups don't know if this was already discussed here but just saw some hype match where a 14 year old kid from Mexico who mains Meta Knight 2 stocks Mr. R's Sheik (2nd at Evo) two times at Grand Finals of a big tournament yesterday in Mexico. A really hype match, at the end Leo (the MK player) called out zero and said he is gonna 2 stock him lol.

No clue what they're saying lol

Still awesome seeing someone main a char that is not a top tier and do well.

Oh man, I'm soooo happy right now!

I just came across a player on FG who I've fought a bunch of times since the game came out. He plays Wario and used to destroy me every time we played, no matter what character I used.
This time, the matches were close but I was able to beat him in every game we played. Feels so good to know that I've actually improved at this game!

I know the feeling. Actually since I always change opponents every match I end up meeting people again awhile later and I know I've beaten many people who I fought before that used to destroy me.

SoldnerKei

my gosh, as good as the gameplay is, those commentators were obnoxiously annoying, totally biased commentary by those two, yeah the kid was doing great and all, but the "you're on Zero's level" shit got me cringing most of the time.

On the bright side, it's good that this tourney had some pretty good players to play against, talks good stuff about the scene on here.

edit: and in case anyone wonder, I had no idea that such tourney took place yesterday haha, maybe Solar was there, who knows xD

Boney

Banned
I'm ready to play peeps, I'd love some doubles
Oh I'll join you guys, could not ruffles host because I have my friend list full?

Ffa with smash balls is my kind of game, love that shit
Awesome thanks for sharing!

Go Metaknight wow, love the trash talk from the kid

I feel like Mr. R wasn't doing as well as he could have, the 2-stock probably had him legit shook by the time they got to the last game. Those announcers didn't help. :/

On the other hand, I got a new Gamepad charging cable just in time for Super Mario Maker. Also this thing called Splatoon is here so I guess I should get to playing that. :O

Boney

Banned
You better play more mash bros

Whoever thought giving Mario an invincible up smash should be fired

Sorry guys. Dinner's almost ready, so I guess I might play a bit after that.
Oh bummer,

Are we still doing this ruffles? Let me know, if you have flux better if not, I can add you
You're welcome.
Losers finals had really good sets too with Mr.R against an amazing Toon Link (yes the commentators are really bad and biased) but the match is worth watching if you like TLink.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLLmUjWrzkU
Sweet, will definately give it a go, commentators were saying how good this match was.
Guessing you're Mexican? We got a few of us Latin American players here so welcome!

Immobile

Neo Member
Sweet, will definately give it a go, commentators were saying how good this match was.
Guessing you're Mexican? We got a few of us Latin American players here so welcome!
Cool! thanks for the welcome! but I'm not Mexican :p (Italian here) but yeah I'm currently living in South America and I've been living here for a long long time for job issues but not in Mexico.
I'd like to play you all GAF but I already tried with some USA friends and the input lag is not very cool, it is doable sometimes but not most of the time. :(

Boney

Banned
So where'd everybody go?

Cool! thanks for the welcome! but I'm not Mexican :p (Italian here) but yeah I'm currently living in South America and I've been living here for a long long time for job issues but not in Mexico.
I'd like to play you all GAF but I already tried with some USA friends and the input lag is not very cool, it is doable sometimes but not most of the time. :(
Is your connection wired? I'm from chile and while it's not perfect all the times it's pretty aceptable most of the times.

Top Bottom