• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

someday I'll have my swordman Ganondorf
he'll have Ike's moveset

yo, remember those days when we said that we wanted Megaman in smash but that never was going to happen?!

Believe in your strengths, believe.

now get me Leon S. Kennedy capcom
Ridley is never going to happen for real, though. :/

For big IP, more Metroid and Zelda representation are the only flaws in the roster IMO, 2 new Mario characters for 0 Zelda and Metroid characters is disappointing. Besides etablished IP, we only need some new representant from the Rhythm Heaven or Golden Sun franchise for example. The roster is almost perfect seriously.

Anyone wanna play ?

Boney

Banned
Samus boards thinks the Ness match up is 60:40 for us -.-

Hell, other than fox, Shiek, Mario and Megaman, all the matches are in our favour lmao

I can play, do we have each other?

Thulius

I get all that, but you could do SM64 Mario and give him an up B that flies, a side B that is his running long jump (attack cancelable), a neutral B that gives him metal form, and a down B butt stomp, and he would be unique, too. Then do one for 3D World, Galaxy, etc. Gameplay can't be the excuse, because there are plenty of other options.

I just think there have to be other options besides Paper Mario himself. Are there any other noteworthy recurring characters in the Paper Mario series?

Nah, besides the obvious Mario mainstays there are pretty much no recurring characters in the series. It'd be cool if there was another character to pull like they did with Rosalina:Galaxy, but eh. Even if there was another good choice, you'd lose the entire helper mechanic without Mario.

I don't disagree that having 3 Marios would be silly, but that's the Doc's fault.

Nah, besides the obvious Mario mainstays there are pretty much no recurring characters in the series. It'd be cool if there was another character to pull like they did with Rosalina:Galaxy, but eh. Even if there was another good choice, you'd lose the entire helper mechanic without Mario.

I don't disagree that having 3 Marios would be silly, but that's the Doc's fault.
Don't blame Doc for having more personality than a cardboard cutout.

Is there any character other than Paper Mario that would be super fitting to rep the Mario RPGs? I feel like they deserve representation, but Paper Mario being a third Mario would be weird. Geno's never going to happen and honestly probably shouldn't.

My vote would go to Dimentio. He had lots of neat powers that could be well-represented in Smash, his design is really cool, and his
final boss theme
is badass.

In retrospect, he was one of the few great things about Super Paper Mario.

Rawk Hawk could be another good (if considerably obscure) one!

Hatchtag

Banned
I'd be all for Dimentio, but I'm one of those weirdos who liked SPM more than the main series.

And I still wouldn't count Ridley out. I wish more people were voting for him than K Rool, but I still think he's got a shot.

I'd be all for Dimentio, but I'm one of those weirdos who liked SPM more than the main series.

And I still wouldn't count Ridley out. I wish more people were voting for him than K Rool, but I still think he's got a shot.

I didn't know it was possible to like Super Paper Mario more than The Thousand-Year Door. I can't fathom it. :p

But hey, different strokes!

Oidisco

Hey oidisco, due to me being lazy in uploading and recording, I just sent the replays to you lol
Cool, I haven't been using Zelda too much the last few days so I don't have anything new to send right now. I have been trying to use more Phantom and so far it's going well.

I didn't know it was possible to like Super Paper Mario more than The Thousand-Year Door. I can't fathom it. :p

There are people who like Sticker Star the most out of the entire series. Anything is possible.

Get rid of Dr. Mario if he is in the way of Paper Mario. We have two Marths, and that is a character from a much less popular series than Paper Mario. I think Paper Mario is a series that deserves at least one character. It has sold more than a lot of the series represented in Smash.

There are people who like Sticker Star the most out of the entire series. Anything is possible.

Get rid of Dr. Mario if he is in the way of Paper Mario. We have two Marths, and that is a character from a much less popular series than Paper Mario. I think Paper Mario is a series that deserves at least one character. It has sold more than a lot of the series represented in Smash.
How about we keep Dr. Mario and tell Paper Mario to fuck off

Sounds like a plan to me.

Boney

Banned
That was fun Boney, lag sucks but it was cool anyway.

Your Ike seems better than mine ouch :(
He's my secondary after Samus. Hard to say what I do different I guess I'm more aggressive with fair, full hop fast falls. While you rely to heavily on nair. Try empty jumping to grabs for mix ups as well!

Well, yeah. I wasn't being literal. ;)

And I'd fully support replacing Dr. Mario with Paper Mario for all the reasons you listed. Dr. Mario is still the one single character in Smash Wii U/3DS's roster who stands out to me as being a silly/needless inclusion. It literally is just Mario in a doctor's outfit. Should've been an alt costume! (Yeah yeah, different mechanics from regular Mario, I know. Still!)

Hatchtag

Banned

I can't stand games with a slow start and that second chapter is a damn chore. Same reason I haven't played much of The Wind Waker.

Well, yeah. I wasn't being literal. ;)

And I'd fully support replacing Dr. Mario with Paper Mario for all the reasons you listed. Dr. Mario is still the one single character in Smash Wii U/3DS's roster who stands out to me as being a silly/needless inclusion. It literally is just Mario in a doctor's outfit. Should've been an alt costume! (Yeah yeah, different mechanics from regular Mario, I know. Still!)

I feel like once a character is in, they should just keep them. Same reason I want Pichu back :p.

Robiin

This is probably my last game, promised the girlfriend I'd make dinner!

Edit: Running straight into a charged Marth B is a fitting end to these games of pure destruction!

Oidisco

Running straight into a charged Marth B is a fitting end to these games of pure destruction!

You'd be surprised at just how often that works. I did the exact same thing to Nairo when I played him on For Glory and I did it a few times at the tournament I was at recently!

Anyways, good games dude! I find your Fox pretty tricky to fight since he has so many good combos and kill setups.
Out of curiosity, is my Zelda better now compared to when we fought last? I feel like out of all my characters she's improved the most in the last few weeks.

Crayolan

Smh, people hating on Paper Mario in this thread. Would be a great character rep and not play anything like Mario does. If he got in he probably wouldn't even share the Mario series logo anymore, kind of like Wario/DK/Yoshi.

I would've voted for him if I didn't have to vote for Ice Climbers.

Robiin

You'd be surprised at just how often that works. I did the exact same thing to Nairo when I played him on For Glory and I did it a few times at the tournament I was at recently!

Anyways, good games dude! I find your Fox pretty tricky to fight since he has so many good combos and kill setups.
Out of curiosity, is my Zelda better now compared to when we fought last? I feel like out of all my characters she's improved the most in the last few weeks.
Yeah, your Zelda is getting great dude. Your follow ups are on point, your Up-B aiming is amazing. You read/predicted rolls and punished with the ending hitbox, that shouldn't even work!

However, down-B doesn't usually work, only time it hit me was when I misjudged how high the sword would swing. And keep in mind Fox can reflect it (even though I mever got the chance)!

Smh, people hating on Paper Mario in this thread. Would be a great character rep and not play anything like Mario does. If he got in he probably wouldn't even share the Mario series logo anymore, kind of like Wario/DK/Yoshi.

I would've voted for him if I didn't have to vote for Ice Climbers.
You can vote for multiple characters.

How about we keep Dr. Mario and tell Paper Mario to fuck off.
Good idea.

Get rid of Dr. Mario if he is in the way of Paper Mario
Good idea.

Count Ridley out and save yourself the pain. I don't think he could be properly balanced, anyway. Just too big.

Oidisco

Yeah, your Zelda is getting great dude. Your follow ups are on point, your Up-B aiming is amazing. You read/predicted rolls and punished with the ending hitbox, that shouldn't even work!

However, down-B doesn't usually work, only time it hit me was when I misjudged how high the sword would swing. And keep in mind Fox can reflect it (even though I mever got the chance)!

Sweet, thanks! I spent a lot of time working on those up-b punishes simply because I'm not confident enough to go for the elevator, but I still wanted to use up-b in some way since it's such a strong move. I'm slowly trying to work the elevator back into my playstyle, but I need to get better at jump-cancelling out of shield first.

And for down-b, I usually use it just as a mindgame thing. It's not so much about putting on damage or edge-guarding as it is to have people be aware of the threat. I use it enough to condition people into recovering back on-stage at the angle I want and then go for the edge-guard, usually a dair or up-air depending on where they've been going.
It doesn't always work out super well, but I have fun trying!

When even Karst the villain-lover doesn't think Ridley will ever happen you know you've got a lost cause.

That said, Paper Mario is also never going to happen because he's not even the most important side-series in the Mario franchise. He gets second billing in the upcoming Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam even though he's the third major character because M&L is just a better Mario RPG series.

Oh yeah. I went there. Paper Mario has 64 and TTYD, but M&L has every game in the series except Partners in Time (I don't like baby characters and hated how many of them were in Mario Kart 8.) And for how much everyone praises TTYD, there's pacing problems in that game (like the whole goddamn second chapter and backtrack city with Vivian ugghhhhhh).

On that subject Waluigi will never happen either.

Ice Climbers died for the 3DS's sins. May they make their glorious non-chaingrabbing return on Super Smash Bros. for NX.

Blunder Red will forever be a trophy because TW101 only sold 100 copies (I bought it full price so don't look at me.)

You will all learn to love the Doc in every incarnation. I'm not even into his original game but that fair tho

I don't get what people see in K. Rool, original DKC trilogy was part of my childhood but I thought he was a dumb as fuck final boss and he never seemed threatening, especially when he was practically treated like a joke at the end of DK64. But hey, more villains and heavy characters are fine by me.

I support Black Shadow on the sole merit of we need more F-Zero anything.

Vote for Wolf because he's better than some lame Pokemon Trainer that only fully evolves one starter and leaves another halfway while I don't even know what Squirtle's deal is.

There, I think I've managed to antagonize everyone on here except my fellow Doc fans who understand.

When even Karst the villain-lover doesn't think Ridley will ever happen you know you've got a lost cause.

That said, Paper Mario is also never going to happen because he's not even the most important side-series in the Mario franchise. He gets second billing in the upcoming Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam even though he's the third major character because M&L is just a better Mario RPG series.

Oh yeah. I went there. Paper Mario has 64 and TTYD, but M&L has every game in the series except Partners in Time (I don't like baby characters and hated how many of them were in Mario Kart 8.) And for how much everyone praises TTYD, there's pacing problems in that game (like the whole goddamn second chapter and backtrack city with Vivian ugghhhhhh).

Ice Climbers died for the 3DS's sins. May they make their glorious non-chaingrabbing return on Super Smash Bros. for NX.

Blunder Red will forever be a trophy because TW101 only sold 100 copies (I bought it full price so don't look at me.)

You will all learn to love the Doc in every incarnation. I'm not even into his original game but that fair tho

I don't get what people see in K. Rool, original DKC trilogy was part of my childhood but I thought he was a dumb as fuck final boss and he never seemed threatening, especially when he was practically treated like a joke at the end of DK64. But hey, more villains and heavy characters are fine by me.

Vote for Wolf because he's better than some lame Pokemon Trainer that only fully evolves one starter and leaves another halfway while I don't even know what Squirtle's deal is.

There, I think I've managed to antagonize everyone on here except my fellow Doc fans who understand.
Your opinions are identical to mine.

RomanceDawn

At some point we'll know about a new Super Smash Bros being in development. I feel like K Rool is going to be THE ballot character among 2 or 3 others. After he's in though, who will people rally behind? I have a feeling once people feel like the slate is clean, the Ridley supporters will come back. After Pyrosphere and Sakurai's words it's very easy to understand why the majority of his fans just gave up. Still this is video games! When you want something you beg for it and beg for it until the will of the people is so strong the devil himself couldn't stop it from existing.

Oidisco

We all know Dark Samus is the best and most likely character to be included in the next DLC. It's obvious!

Also Rundas because why not

Fandangox

If there's one thing we need more from F-Zero is more remastered music and a new stage. The only character that I think has enough weight to be playable is Goro and I dont think the devs think he'd be that interesting gameplaywise.

Thulius

Other than your weird love for Doc I agree with every single thing you just said.

But Paper Mario would still make a better smash character than M&L Mario and either would be a million times better than Cosplay Mario.

Other than your weird love for Doc I agree with every single thing you just said.

But Paper Mario would still make a better smash character than M&L Mario and either would be a million times better than Cosplay Mario.
But how many non-Mario characters would it be better than? That is the real question.

Your opinions are identical to mine.

Good to know we have smart people on here. Now all we need is for Beef to offer up an inflammatory and controversial opinion that is sure to offend someone and everything will be settled.

Doc is basically "let's bring a Melee character to the future" in a great way. The only problem is that they didn't make everyone else's recoveries Melee-tier.

I look forward to Wolf jump-cancelling his down-B just because.

Top Bottom