• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Robiin

Good games dude, that was fun:D

I have so much trouble registering what's actually going on when the screen is full of pikmin in line, flying hitbox pikmin and ticking hitbox pikmin! Well played!

Oidisco

I'm trying to decide what I should do next, should I pick up a new character or should I work on improving my Pikachu. At one point my Pika was kinda decent, but I haven't used him in so long that he's probably my worst character now.

I'm not having fun with him since I do so poorly, so I'm thinking of picking up someone else instead but I have no idea who. I already have 7 other characters that I'm decent with so maybe I shouldn't be spread myself out so much. Anyone have any suggestions?

For reference, I currently use:
Zelda
Marth
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Roy
Ike
Mario
Pikachu

I kinda want to pick a character that's out of my comfort zone

Fandangox

i_need_professional_help_by_geniusgt-d8kh4sc.gif

Puruzi

Banned
Samus having a positive matchup against Sheik

Have they ever played a good Sheik before

Hell my Sheik is totally mediocre right now and you said that was probably the hardest matchup you had to play in our previous session.

Edit: And now I'm trying to figure out who can have a positive matchup against Sheik. Rosalina?
Kirby has an extremely good matchup against Shiek.

I'm trying to decide what I should do next, should I pick up a new character or should I work on improving my Pikachu. At one point my Pika was kinda decent, but I haven't used him in so long that he's probably my worst character now.

I'm not having fun with him since I do so poorly, so I'm thinking of picking up someone else instead but I have no idea who. I already have 7 other characters that I'm decent with so maybe I shouldn't be spread myself out so much. Anyone have any suggestions?

For reference, I currently use:
Zelda
Marth
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Roy
Ike
Mario
Pikachu

Give Sonic a try. ( ̄ー ̄)

Oidisco

So, what's the consensus about Roy right now ? He is good ? Bad ? Can he beat Marth toothpick ?

Most people say he's pretty good and definitely better than Marth thanks to having a much better throw and actual combos. The sweetspot for his sword is alot easier to land than Marth's and it's almost as powerful.

Marth vs Roy I think is pretty even. Roy beats Marth on the ground, but in air and especially off-stage Marth can really mess him up.

Give Sonic a try. ( ̄ー ̄)

NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE

Fandangox

I have actually tried out Falcon a couple times and I just don't like the way he plays. I've never really enjoyed playing him in any of the games.

I remember that and that's specifically why I suggested him, and not just because I end up suggesting everyone to play Falcon anyway. Otheriwse I would have suggested something like Duck Hunt, or Bowser.

JulianImp

I think I'm not really fit for competitive play, because I keep getting tired of characters after a while once I need to really delve into their higher-level stuff to get any better. This happened to me with Sonic, then Luigi, and now I'm kind of tired of Pac-Man as well. It might be a good idea to take a short break and do other stuff for a while...

On related news, I learned that there was a large Sm4sh tourney in my city last Saturday. Oh well, maybe next time.

Boney

Banned
I'm up for some games!

ooooh Peach is a good one. I actually thought about learning her very early on, but for whatever reason I went with Marth instead.
Peach is great, and has a lot of untaoped potential
I think I'm not really fit for competitive play, because I keep getting tired of characters after a while once I need to really delve into their higher-level stuff to get any better. This happened to me with Sonic, then Luigi, and now I'm kind of tired of Pac-Man as well. It might be a good idea to take a short break and do other stuff for a while...

On related news, I learned that there was a large Sm4sh tourney in my city last Saturday. Oh well, maybe next time.
Sorry to hear that, but it might work out better maybe.

Oidisco

I think it's good to take breaks when your first starting to get into competitive play. I started hating Zelda for a while which is why I switched to Marth, and then I kinda hated Marth so I just stopped playing the game for a few weeks. I came back to it super refreshed and playing a lot better than before.

I've been taking regular short breaks from the game just to be sure I don't get too frustrated, and generally when I come back to the game I'm playing a little better than before.

I forgot to ask, but since evo is now over, whats the general consensus(?) on Customs?

Im still ok with them.

http://smashboards.com/threads/offi...t-summer-2015-edition-evo-sets.395721/page-20

http://smashboards.com/threads/competitive-smash-ruleset-discussion.368605/page-47

http://smashboards.com/threads/what-are-your-opinions-on-customs-post-evo-2015.410671/

Big discussions about them in all three threads.

Have your opinions changed?

I'm still for customs
240 vote(s)
53.1%

I'm still against customs
114 vote(s)
25.2%

I was for customs, but now I'm against them
34 vote(s)
7.5%

I was against customs, but now I'm in support
18 vote(s)
4.0%

Undecided
46 vote(s)
10.2%

I forgot to ask, but since evo is now over, whats the general consensus(?) on Customs?

Im still ok with them.
At least in our community the majority is against them, though I think we could hold off on banning them until the end of the year, to see if any potential new patch balances some of the problem moves :O

JulianImp

At least in our community the majority is against them, though I think we could hold off on banning them until the end of the year, to see if any potential new patch balances some of the problem moves :O

I like them. It's true that there're several that are so much of an upgrade that it makes choosing other customs downright stupid, but there're several others that help characters be slightly better without warping their game around their abuseable customs. For example, Ganon or Pac get some interesting options to change up their game but not to the level of Kong Cyclone or even Dash Slash.

I'd rather keep playing with customs by default, but I guess I wouldn't hate it if matches were custom-less by default and we could just say "looking for some customs games" instead, either.

Agree with Boney on the Mario stage. It's really fun without being overly crazy, IMO. Definitely one of the better banned stages.

I would not mind customs being banned if they added the exception to change mii fighters as weird as that sounds....also that size debate is another issue. (Tiny swordsman is best swordsman imo)

Been playing alot of Mii gunner lately.

Crayolan

Yusss I love mushroom kingdom u

I say we ban customs but allow awesome stages like pokemon stadium 2 and mku

I'm in support of Mushroom Kingdom U, the only real problem is those dumb icicles that fall out of the ceiling, Nabbit is a nonissue unless you're paying zero attention to anything.

Fuck Stadium 2 though.

Boney

Banned
To that spike in halberd

Still falco seems like a ridiculous match up for olimar
If it weren't for that smiley I'd say something

You person :mad:
Just jokin around honey pie

I'm in support of Mushroom Kingdom U, the only real problem is those dumb icicles that fall out of the ceiling, Nabbit is a nonissue unless you're paying zero attention to anything.

Fuck Stadium 2 though.
Well the icicles to get the water drop first. (Is this English?) lmao I meant for the Ickes to drop, the water drops fall first.
Stadium two I can understand the hate, as it's weird to play in but there's nothing disastrous about it. Same as Mario kart 8 love that one

JulianImp

Fuck Stadium 2 though.

Nabbit can be a problem at times since it can be used to extend your hitboxes, but I guess you could say "then don't get near Nabbit when Wario has a full fart ready".

Is there a list of the most "broken" custom moves? Or rather, the ones that are acting to the detriment of allowing customs in tournaments? iirc Pikachu, Fox and Donkey Kong have had ones I've heard of, but I haven't experimented with customs a whole lot outside of Pac-Man and Ganondorf.

JulianImp

Is there a list of the most "broken" custom moves? Or rather, the ones that are acting to the detriment of allowing customs in tournaments? iirc Pikachu, Fox and Donkey Kong have had ones I've heard of, but I haven't experimented with customs a whole lot outside of Pac-Man and Ganondorf.

Off the top of my head, the ones that are seen as truly broken so far are
  • Villager: trip sapling, explosive balloon trip
  • DK: Kong Cyclone
  • Sonic: Hammer spin dash
  • Pikachu: Thunder wave, Heavy skull bash

The rest can be a bit centralizing (like Bowser's Dash Claw), but I don't thing they're broken per se. there're a couple that make strong characters stronger in many match-ups, though
  • Fox: Stun laser and Spinning fox
  • Rosalina: Fast star bit
  • Luigi: Ice ball
  • Sheik: Penetrating needles (I think)

Boney

Banned
That mother daaaamn
Stage got crazy
The ones that are completely broken in my opinion are villager's trip sapling, sonic Spindash hammer and Pikachu thunder wave (plus skullbash)

Guessing he means his Gamepad charger that he ordered, if so, congrats!
Oh. :p
Off the top of my head, the ones that are seen as truly broken so far are
  • Villager: trip sapling, explosive balloon trip
  • DK: Kong Cyclone
  • Sonic: Hammer spin dash
  • Pikachu: Thunder wave, Heavy skull bash

The rest can be a bit centralizing (like Bowser's Dash Claw), but I don't thing they're broken per se. there're a couple that make strong characters stronger in many match-ups, though
  • Fox: Stun laser and Spinning fox
  • Rosalina: Fast star bit
  • Luigi: Ice ball
  • Sheik: Penetrating needles (I think)
What's the big deal with Ice Ball?

Agreed on the rest.

Fandangox

SFV Beta?

Balance patch turning this into a great game?

Ridley DLC?

Guessing he means his Gamepad charger that he ordered, if so, congrats!

Its the GC controller adapter NO MORE MISONPUTS FROM ME.

Will be up for games on the Wii U version later when I come back.

GC controller is lighter than I remembered, been a while since I used it for anything, even longer since I last played a smash game with it.

Top Bottom