• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Fandangox

GG's Karsts, it was nice to play again, sorry about the lag.

Out of all the new characters I tried out, I had the most fun with Roy, no fucking idea what I was doing with Samus.

GG's Karsts, it was nice to play again, sorry about the lag.

Out of all the new characters I tried out, I had the most fun with Roy, no fucking idea what I was doing with Samus.
Roy is Captain Falcon with Marth range, haha. Makes sense that you would like him. His up B has armor. His best approach is Nair. Massive range and no endlag. He can even chain multiple Nairs together at low %. His neutral B also has no endlag.

Samus is about the charge shot. Hers is better than Mewtwo's.

Lag got way better halfway through. There was even jitter in the first half of our matches.

Robiin

Yeah, something weird is going on, because many have tags that say 1v1, and tags are automatic right?

Noone joined my game, so I'm going on for glory. Let me know if anyone wants to play!

Yeah, something weird is going on, because many have tags that say 1v1, and tags are automatic right?

Noone joined my game, so I'm going on for glory. Let me know if anyone wants to play!

The creator can name the tourney whatever they want. The only 1v1 is in the Regular tourneys which are pre made. But these suck because it is 2 stocks in 3 minutes.

Spent a few hours messing with the new patch and features, here are my thoughts...

It's mostly pretty good! This update ably serves its purpose as a nice stopgap between major additions like new characters. As others have said, though, everything about this patch just feels "off" in a way... it's just weird, considering how it was announced so suddenly and with zero fanfare, and how there was barely any official acknowledgement of it all. I'm guessing Nintendo is still in a state of disarray from Iwata's passing. :(

That said, there's some great stuff here! The two new stages are both great. I never liked Peach's Castle much back in Smash 64, but for some reason I'm finding it a lot more entertaining here. It feels... bigger, I think? A little roomier? Probably not, but it just feels like a more balanced, comfortable stage than it did back in Smash 64.

Hyrule Castle was pretty much my favorite stage back in Smash 64 and I've wanted to see it return ever since returning stages first became a thing in Melee. Suffice to say, I'm thrilled to finally have it back and it's just as awesome as ever. <3

Also, this point has already been belabored but I have to mention it: the music selections for both new stages are fucking FANTASTIC. The new Zelda medley is pure aural sex, the new Super Mario 64 main theme rearrangement is quite nice, and I love retro game music and chip music in general, so I couldn't be happier with the SMB 2 and SMB 3 ground themes and the Zelda 1 and A Link to the Past overworld themes!

Tourney Mode is pretty nice, with a few glaring and unfortunately unsurprising oversights, such as not being able to create our own 1v1 tourneys. I knew they'd get this wrong, but seriously, what the fuck? :(

Oh well, Tourneys are pretty cool outside of that and a couple other confusing omissions. I'd say I hope these oversights get addressed in future patches, but I'm confident they won't. It's weird... Sakurai gets so, so much right and is undoubtedly one of the industry's leading, most passionate visionaries, but he really screws the pooch when it comes to almost anything related to online play. Also, I really, really love that Sakurai specifically develops these games without the hyper-competitive segment of the fanbase in mind, but damn I'm getting tired of him pushing 3-minute timed matches as the standard. It's an awful format in every way. :(

The only aggressively disappointing part of this patch for me is the YouTube upload feature. I was seriously looking forward to this and, in hindsight, probably should have known they wouldn't get this right or that they'd implement it in an incredibly half-baked fashion. But for whatever reason, I thought it'd be great... and not only is it not great, it's thoroughly disappointing. A time limit of three minutes and 45 seconds means this is only useful to people who play Sakurai's 2-minute timed "standard" format (which is... who, again?), and the max (well, only) quality being 720p/30fps is... well, it just feels backwards. Like I said, I should've guessed that Nintendo wouldn't knock this out of the park, and that's on me... but I also feel like they could have done better than this. I could even overlook the 720p/30fps thing and the long upload times if it wasn't for that ridiculously short time limit. Guess my dreams of not having to use my capture card to record and upload matches have been shattered. :p

I grabbed the Lloyd and Flying Man costumes and am very happy with them. Lloyd in particular looks great. Hoping the Mega Man fanservice returns with wave 4, though - we (or at least I) still need costumes for MegaMan Trigger/Volnutt, Shooting Star Mega Man, Bass, Roll, and MMZ-style Zero!

Also, what a shame that Dr. Mario stage wasn't real... they totally had me. I was looking forward to it. But the fake was so good that I can't even be mad about it. Kinda like ArtsyOmni's Rayman leak... but the difference here is that I really wanted this stage. I was relieved as fuck when I found out Rayman was fake. :p

Overall, for me it's a perfectly good patch with one crushing disappointment (YouTube) and a few minor, but unfortunate issues with an addition I otherwise like (Tourneys). Everything else is fine, though, and I love the new stages and music. Honestly, there will never be enough of new stages. I hope what Sakurai said about them not being able to add to many more somehow ends up not being the case...

Banzai

I know I'm just piling on here but damn, what a disappointment. How do you not include the possibility to make your own 1v1 tourney? Can't be the "smash shouldn't be played so competitively" bull, because they didnt include offline tourneys either!

All the regular 1v1 tourney are always already full or the next one is 20 minutes away. Maybe that should tell you something?
Also, the time is set too low on regular tourneys.

There, rant over.

A lot of people are now suggesting that the new Phantom doesn't just have windbox, but a 0% hitbox. Makes sense since it gives hitstun on contact now.

any fox players around! Is just me or canceling 2 jabs into throw was removed/nerfed?
It could be bad timing but everytime I hit the throw button the kicks are coming out!!

I noticed the jab lock was removed - fair enough, but the throw?

Oidisco

Luigi Buffs....Luigi Buffs....Luigi Buffs....Luigi Buffs....Luigi Buffs....Luigi Buffs...

Nope, still not making any sense to me.

Robiin

any fox players around! Is just me or canceling 2 jabs into throw was removed/nerfed?
It could be bad timing but everytime I hit the throw button the kicks are coming out!!

I noticed the jab lock was removed - fair enough, but the throw?
Yep, seems you have to wait longer if you want to do something except jab 3 after the second jab. It's annoying really, after 2500 Fox matches having to get used to a new timing...

Boney

Banned
Luigi Buffs....Luigi Buffs....Luigi Buffs....Luigi Buffs....Luigi Buffs....Luigi Buffs...

Nope, still not making any sense to me.
I read he got his fair reduced by 1% his up does more knockback and people were saying fire balls had more endlag, if the last one is true I'm happy

Yep, seems you have to wait longer if you want to do something except jab 3 after the second jab. It's annoying really, after 2500 Fox matches having to get used to a new timing...

I noticed we can still dash grab after jab 2 or pp grab but these setups are quite unsafe and fox can be punished pretty bad!

Is the shine buff any good!? I'm not very using to use that

ffdgh

DK can "Hoo Hah" Now
KuGsj.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR8LVDb8WZI Volume warning at the end.
Keep it up balance team.

JulianImp

So Pac-Man remains unchanged according to the patch notes so far... meh. Meanwhile, Charizard gets wind hitboxes for its dair and Lucas gets buffs to his grab hitboxes. Pac would've loved getting either of those changes.

SoldnerKei

I think it's time to main Sheik

FTFY

but yeah, Samus could really benefit from a buff on certain stuff, oddly enough this patch skipped her, I mean I am ok with characters like Mario and ZSS not being touched at all, because they are already good characters without being ridiculous, but samus is neither, so what the freaking hell samurai???

on another note Fox getting rid of his jablock is such a bliss for Link, karma bitch! P:

Oidisco

Hmm, Zelda's damage buffs also kinda caused some nerfs.

D-tilt no longer combos into the Elevator at kill percents and no longer combos into itself for as long. On the plus side, it now combos into up-air at around 90%-120%, which is fantastic. You also combo d-tilt into up-smash, but it's a little awkward to land.

The Phantom Buffs are amazing though. Like, the move is actually useful now!

Fandangox

They nerfed falcon again, aside from the range of his jab finisher (not gentleman) I think he should have remained untouched, he was pretty well balanced already.

Oidisco

These buffs to Marth feel very nice. Having less landing lag on all his aerials really helps him out, though honestly the lag is still too much on his fair.

Serious question: what would you guys do to buff Samus? Specials, smashes, etc.

Switching beams via taunts a la Project M would be a great start.

Make Nair not shit anymore by reverting it back to Melee nair.
Increase the size of Dair sweetspot so it spikes easier
Decrease lag on Missiles
Increase the damage and knockback with Missiles so that they can kill
Fix f-tilt by reverting it to pre-patch version
Fix her jab
Increase size of f-smash sweetspot, make sourspot stronger too
Increase knockback of d-smash so that it can kill
Decrease lag on grab

There's more, but that's everything I can think of right now.

Top Bottom