• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

FluxWaveZ

Hm, it's unfortunately laggy.

Flick it faster. That is all there is to it. I can't do it for more than a second.

Yeah, tried that in training mode and it seems I wasn't doing that properly. I think there's something called the stutter step or something I was trying out instead.

Yeah, that.

Ha, and that last match was awful, though there's a lot of stuff I was trying to do that weren't coming out. Edge guarding that again and again was dumb, though.

Lol I figured you were just experimenting

GGs. You are hard to kill when you don't want to be KOed

Really? The connection used to be pretty smooth against you on my end, but the last time we fought and this time it's been really stuttery and there was even input lag going on.

Oh well.

I'm not feeling a difference so much in input lag. It has definitely been real stuttery though.

leroidys

Well they buffed like half the roster, with Game & Watch nowhere in sight. He must be the most balanced character in the entire game in Sakurai's view given that (AFAIK) he has only been touched in one patch so far (in an extremely minor way). Guess I just need to git more gud. saltsaltsaltsalt.

JulianImp

Well they buffed like half the roster, with Game & Watch nowhere in sight. He must be the most balanced character in the entire game in Sakurai's view given that (AFAIK) he has only been touched in one patch so far (in an extremely minor way). Guess I just need to git more gud. saltsaltsaltsalt.

I heard a player did quite well with him at EVO, though.

But that's no reason for me to not want some buffs to Pac's grab, at the very least. I wish he'd either get more threatening with combo/kill throws, or at least get a buff on his actual grab animation, since having a crappy grab AND bad throws on top of that feels like too much of a disadvantage for him.

Been playing Smash since 64 and never knew that if Jiggly's shield breaks, she dies instantly. Apparently it's been a running gag since Smash 64!

Any other weird stuff like this I don't know about?
Tons of weird stuff. ;-)

This is how they used to start tournaments in the 3DS Smash days, though. The streamer would pick Jiggs and shield SD twice.

You also learn it really quickly if you play Jiggs in For Glory, since Marth and Lucina players spam Shield Breaker against you. :p

Someone made top 16 with him at Evo, so he must be pretty solid. He has a lot of unorthodox tools. Windboxes everywhere, invincible usmash, invincible dash attack, might as well be invincible up B for recovery. You have to be careful with him in some moments, and then surprisingly gutsy in others.

leroidys

Tons of weird stuff. ;-)

This is how they used to start tournaments in the 3DS Smash days, though. The streamer would pick Jiggs and shield SD twice.

You also learn it really quickly if you play Jiggs in For Glory, since Marth and Lucina players spam Shield Breaker against you. :p

Someone made top 16 with him at Evo, so he must be pretty solid. He has a lot of unorthodox tools. Windboxes everywhere, invincible usmash, invincible dash attack, might as well be invincible up B for recovery. You have to be careful with him in some moments, and then surprisingly gutsy in others.

Mostly he's just a huge pain in the ass to play as online, because if you get hit hard 3 times that's a stock. Lag is incredibly unkind to him. I really need to find a local scene.

Zero's two cents on G&W

http://youtu.be/aGHe9KbG9Ak

I think his weight kinda sets him back, and I miss his brawl fsmash with the lingering hitbox, but overall yeah he's pretty good. Got a good buff with his back air as well

Thanks for the link! Going to be studying this dude intently :)

EDIT:

OK I actually didn't see anything impressive in that video. The first round pikachu was super thirsty and getting read. Second round cut right during G&W getting beat down. Pikachu is a pretty good match up for G&W. Fighting someone that you actually have to approach (Sheik, ZSS, etc.), someone with real rushdown skills, or someone that has better disjoint hitboxes than G&W (yoshi, bowser JR) feels completely futile.

Crayolan

Game and Watch sucks, no one's convincing me otherwise. His grab game and fast smashes are good, but not good enough to redeem his shit everything else.

GG FNF, great-Ness, it's really a character that I don't know how to deal with

With all these characters buffs I'm afraid Jigglypuff will fall on the bottom 10 indeed :/
I don't know how I decided to focus on three characters that are all in the bottom half of the roster. -_-

I don't know how I decided to focus on three characters that are all in the bottom half of the roster. -_-

Hang in there, sooner or later, your favorite characters will get a buff. My five favorite are Ike, Greninja, Wii Fit, Marth and Jigglypuff and 4 of them got a great buff in the two last patches. Only Jigglypuff left :p

leroidys

One thing that I think really works against game & watch that nobody talks about is the 2 stock format. He's designed as a high-risk high-reward character. If you amortize the risk of bucketing (huge end-lag), hammer (generally unsafe), and his overall lightness against more stocks, these risks become more worthwhile for their ability to take an early stock. If you get punished for some of these moves, you're down 1/2 of your stocks rather than 1/3. I think this could be compensated for by making G&W just a bit heavier. Only being able to use 1/2 of your moves once you're at 65% against some characters really sucks.

FluxWaveZ

Unless something happened on your end, this one's probably on my end, Fandangox. A serious rain storm just started here; that's probably the culprit.

GGs, the connection was great until then.

I don't agree, I think puff is pretty average while G&W is just bad.
See Nami's response.

Jigglypuff is slightly below average. She isn't bottom tier, though. Rest being garbage is part of that problem. She also just needs bigger hitboxes on her attacks (or a smaller hurtbox) - she trades with pretty much everything.

Hang in there, sooner or later, your favorite characters will get a buff. My five favorite are Ike, Greninja, Wii Fit, Marth and Jigglypuff and 4 of them got a great buff in the two last patches. Only Jigglypuff left :p
I want to think this is true.

Fandangox

Unless something happened on your end, this one's probably on my end, Fandangox. A serious rain storm just started here; that's probably the culprit.

GGs.

It's probably that as I am alone right now so no one else is using the connection, no problem though, Good Games.

Boney

Banned
Anybody wanna play?

Mostly he's just a huge pain in the ass to play as online, because if you get hit hard 3 times that's a stock. Lag is incredibly unkind to him. I really need to find a local scene.

Thanks for the link! Going to be studying this dude intently :)

EDIT:

OK I actually didn't see anything impressive in that video. The first round pikachu was super thirsty and getting read. Second round cut right during G&W getting beat down. Pikachu is a pretty good match up for G&W. Fighting someone that you actually have to approach (Sheik, ZSS, etc.), someone with real rushdown skills, or someone that has better disjoint hitboxes than G&W (yoshi, bowser JR) feels completely futile.
He just shows footage of tourney G&W while he talks.

The best G&W I know of is Gimr, you should check him out

I heard he had an easier bracket than most people (not to discredit him), but I think G&W is still a solid character. I think he just has problems killing.

Easier bracket or not, once you get to a certain point in the tournament, a "bad" character will have a hard time even if the player using the "bad" character is better at the game, because the rest of the top 64/32 was mostly high tier characters.

I was watching GimR in a tournament on Twitch a few days ago. G&W didn't seem to have many problems killing. His up-smash is insanely good, and down-throw to up-air didn't seem very hard to get, and up-air kills pretty early. G&W might not be high tier, but he is at least in the upper part of the mid-tier characters.

Is there a good guide out there for beginners starting from the ground up?

I haven't played smash in a good 12ish years, and I was never very good at it to begin with. Never took the time to understand the mechanics of the game.

Crayolan

Then Regi must be the best player in the world to get 13th at EVO with G&W.

To be fair, there were WFT players that got almost as high as him too, and she's probably even worse (at least pre-patch).

See Nami's response.

Jigglypuff is slightly below average. She isn't bottom tier, though. Rest being garbage is part of that problem. She also just needs bigger hitboxes on her attacks (or a smaller hurtbox) - she trades with pretty much everything.

That's what I meant.

Is there a good guide out there for beginners starting from the ground up?

I haven't played smash in a good 12ish years, and I was never very good at it to begin with. Never took the time to understand the mechanics of the game.

Maximillian's guide is pretty good for going over the basics. The video is also kind of a skit but you can just skip to the gameplay.

Top Bottom