• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Thanks. How come 3DS players are low in number on GAF?

I would play more 3DS but my R button is borked and I'm too lazy to adapt to switching a face button to grab. :p Too bad, I liked Prism Tower a lot and would gladly pay for its inclusion on the Wii U version.

But yeah, we've mostly switched to Wii U because it's just the better version regarding control schemes, variety of stages (Animal Crossing stages woohoo), and online play (no friend codes woohoo.) Plus it's HD and we all know graphics are the most important thing in a video game, even more than how much fun you're having.

Thulius

Just fought one of the best FG players I have encountered. They started off with Falcon, and I used DK. I lost with them at about 100% on their second stock. I switched to Yoshi and beat them. They changed their tag to "Bewbs" and used ZSS. I have zero experience against an alright ZSS, never mind a good one. Everything she does is so safe! They were using down-B, neutral-B, and d-Smash, and I couldn't do a thing! The majority of matches were close. I lost a lot of them, but there was one where I 2-stocked them. This caused them to switch to Sheik, who I have a little more practice against. Honestly, Sheik was a lot easier to fight than ZSS. I won the Sheik, and they switched to Little Mac, beat me, and left right away.

Anyone have tips for fighting ZSS? Down-B is such a hard move to get around. It is scary when I am off-stage. When I am on the stage, it can come out at anytime and be practically unpunishable if they don't try and get the hit. It also makes zoning them hard, because it is fast enough to punish an egg throw. Combine d-Smash which doesn't seem to have any endlag (I tried Luigi once, it didn't go well) and the paralyzer, and it was very hard to fight the ZSS.

Fighting ZSS is a lot like fighting Yoshi, I.E. all her good safe neutral options are really easy to avoid if you don't actually try to contest them or approach but she has no real reason to commit to anything more unless the player gets bored.

If you're far enough away, throw eggs. If you're in a range where eggs would get punished by down B, just run up and do retreating Nairs OoS. Like... she can't really do anything about it because her grab sucks and you have plenty of time to react if she uses paralyzer. Worst case scenario you eat a jab, but that's more likely to trade in your favor.

Basically, both of you should be as boring as possible until someone gets impatient.

Too bad, I liked Prism Tower a lot and would gladly pay for its inclusion on the Wii U version.

Honestly, I would totally pay for a Wii U version of Prism Tower and of Arena Ferox. God I miss Arena Ferox tbh, much better than Coliseum. I'd also pay for Magicant even if only to have its omega version available on console.

The server is under maintenance. That never means anything does it?

Seems it's only going on for this hour. I'd imagine it's literally just server maintenance in this context, nothing more.

In the mean time, you should go unlock the Squid Girl outfit in Splatoon (buy it if you haven't already) and go online to inkvade the inkling's trivial turf wars.

All in the name of Ika-chan.

SoldnerKei

Seems it's only going on for this hour. I'd imagine it's literally just server maintenance in this context, nothing more.

In the mean time, you should go unlock the Squid Girl outfit in Splatoon (buy it if you haven't already) and go online to inkvade the inkling's trivial turf wars.

All in the name of Ika-chan.

yo, I see you made a room, can I hop in? P:

Fighting ZSS is a lot like fighting Yoshi, I.E. all her good safe neutral options are really easy to avoid if you don't actually try to contest them or approach but she has no real reason to commit to anything more unless the player gets bored.

If you're far enough away, throw eggs. If you're in a range where eggs would get punished by down B, just run up and do retreating Nairs OoS. Like... she can't really do anything about it because her grab sucks and you have plenty of time to react if she uses paralyzer. Worst case scenario you eat a jab, but that's more likely to trade in your favor.

Basically, both of you should be as boring as possible until someone gets impatient.

Alright, I will try this next month when I face another ZSS. Or maybe the month after that. Who knows?

Thanks, though. I don't really play defensively like that, so it will take some getting used to.

senpai didn't notice me! mwhaha no problem dude

if someone wanna play let me know

I'll play if you're still looking.

First time playing since the update and regular tourneys suck. I wasn't expecting much but still. Single match sets, no double elimination tourneys, only 3 mins, no stage selection and stuck with same character throughout tournament. Could have been great if a little more effort was put into it.

SoldnerKei

haha that trade at the end was funny xD

Yoshi is quite difficult to approach, you second jump armor make my aerials pretty unsafe against it, good stuff

No one has ever said that to me before. Not once. Ever.

Falcon is manageable. You need to nair a lot!

Luigi going to go to the moon!

lol, well there you have it. I might start
*gulp* picking up Yoshi
to show the locals how much of a threat he can be in competent hands. We've only got one noteworthy Yoshi and last I played him, he wasn't on your level. :O

Your taunt messages are low tier though, I mean I'm all about the dinos but man I feel like I'm fighting a dinosaur themed villain lol

SoldnerKei

Great games Nami, your Yoshi has improved a lot since the last time we played ages ago on the ranbats lol, it's pretty annoying to approach at him and quite hard to punish his attack, his jab covers him pretty well and comes out quite fast too, really good experience to fight and adapt against him

again GGs

Your taunt messages are low tier though, I mean I'm all about the dinos but man I feel like I'm fighting a dinosaur themed villain lol

yo nothing beats "When is MAHVEL?"
Karst had some villainsh tauts too iirc, but those fit to Mewtwo after all

isn't that an splatoon character in your avatar? P:

*gulp* picking up Yoshi
to show the locals how much of a threat he can be in competent hands. We've only got one noteworthy Yoshi and last I played him, he wasn't on your level. :O

That guy must really be bad if he is worse than me.

How dare you insult my taunt messages! Isn't that the whole point? I am playing a dinosaur, and everyone here thinks I am a villain.

But yeah, they are pretty terrible. I pretty much only use "Fly Away!", and that is really generic. The other two are bad, and I don't even use the one for its intended purpose.

Great games Nami, your Yoshi has improved a lot since the last time we played ages ago on the ranbats lol, it's pretty annoying to approach at him and quite hard to punish his attack, his jab covers him pretty well and comes out quite fast too, really good experience to fight and adapt to him

again GGs

Good games. Are you just comparing to ranbats to dramatize the improvement, or have you forgot that we have fought a lot more since then? Or have we not fought more since then? I could've swore I at least fought your Marth. Yoshi isn't good at approaching, so it would be terrible if he was bad at punishing. :p But thanks for the compliment. I feel Yoshi is a character that becomes easier to fight the more you fight him. I know all characters become easier to fight, but Yoshi is even more so.

isn't that an splatoon character in your avatar? P:
You mean "aren't the Inklings characters from Ika Musume?"

Then yes.
That guy must really be bad if he is worse than me.

How dare you insult my taunt messages! Isn't that the whole point? I am playing a dinosaur, and everyone here thinks I am a villain.

But yeah, they are pretty terrible. I pretty much only use "Fly Away!", and that is really generic. The other two are bad, and I don't even use the one for its intended purpose.

To be fair, this was a few months back so he might've improved like you did.

Also to be double fair, I'm still rocking the stock "Thanks!" message. >.<;;;

SoldnerKei

Good games. Are you just comparing to ranbats to dramatize the improvement, or have you forgot that we have fought a lot more since then? Yoshi isn't good at approaching, so it would be terrible if he was bad at punishing. :p But thanks for the compliment. I feel Yoshi is a character that becomes easier to fight the more you fight him. I know all characters become easier to fight, but Yoshi is even more so.

welp, it was the most recent set I had in my memory against your Yoshi, so yeah maybe I forgot other times xD sorry about that

and yeah, that apply to most characters, and the thing is, at least what I got from playing you, Yoshi has a pretty good tool with his second jump, and most of his follow ups are based on read retreats that would work against other characters because they lack the air mobility Yoshi has, I began to stop jumping after certain attacks connected and stuff like that, but even so it's pretty hard to avoid the goddamn dino haha

good stuff on those games

welp, it was the most recent set I had in my memory against your Yoshi, so yeah maybe I forgot other times xD sorry about that

and yeah, that apply to most characters, and the thing is, at least what I got from playing you, Yoshi has a pretty good tool with his second jump, and most of his follow ups are based on read retreats that would work against other characters because they lack the air mobility Yoshi has, I began to stop jumping after certain attacks connected and stuff like that, but even so it's pretty hard to avoid the goddamn dino haha

good stuff on those games

I might be mistaken. A lot of people here play Marth, and I read your name here a decent amount, so maybe I am just confusing you with someone else. If we haven't played since season 1 ranbats, then wow, that was a long time ago.

Yoshi would be terrible without the properties of his double jump. Even then, there were times where I just fell to my death, or one time where I would've if I didn't somehow get a footstool. xD But yeah, the air is Yoshi's turf, so unless you have more priority, faster moves, or longer range, it is dangerous. Marth can lock Yoshi to the ground pretty well.

Good stuff to you too. Your ZSS is better than I thought she would be since I don't recall ever reading anything about you playing her.

To be fair, this was a few months back so he might've improved like you did.

Also to be double fair, I'm still rocking the stock "Thanks!" message. >.<;;;

Come on now, if you are going to take Yoshi seriously, you have to do more than two fairs.

SoldnerKei

I might be mistaken. A lot of people here play Marth, and I read your name here a decent amount, so maybe I am just confusing you with someone else. If we haven't played since season 1 ranbats, then wow, that was a long time ago.

Good stuff to you too. Your ZSS is better than I thought she would be since I don't recall ever reading anything about you playing her.

yeah, to be honest there is people who is pretty active here that I have never played against haha

and regarding Marth and ZSS, they are sort of my serious subs that's why I know my way around with those, thou I would like to use ZSS better, after all it's a good character that I really like and she is pretty viable

Boney

Banned
*gulp* picking up Yoshi

Maybe Karst should main Yoshi

Maybe Karst should main Yoshi
lolno

I am done learning new characters. With a baby coming in a month, my time will be limited. I might not be playing Smash much for a while. Then SFV will come out, and that will have my attention for at least 6 months. Especially since the characters I like are looking to be strong so far. I've been enjoying Guilty Gear Xrd a lot recently, too. It's just so nice not to flub about with shitty mid-low tier characters and lose to people significantly worse than you because your character is so bad.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the new BlazBlue is adding a character I've wanted to play for ages, so I will buy that when it comes out.

I also plan on trying Killer Instinct PC, even though combo breakers are an extremely bad game mechanic.

Jesus.

On that note, is anyone else kind of shocked by what's become a seemingly complete lack of moderation on Miiverse and the online components of Nintendo's biggest multiplayer games (Smash, Splatoon, Mario Kart 8)? For a "Nintendo experience," it's become surprisingly kid-unfriendly. I see "adult" and often straight-up offensive usernames online (in both For Fun and For Glory) very frequently now, and I'd say questionable and downright M-rated posts pop up on the Miiverse stage about as frequently as regular/kid-friendly ones at this point. I'm not making a judgement as to what "should" and "shouldn't" be allowed, I'm just utterly shocked by the rampant Xbox Live/PSN-ness going on here since Nintendo usually takes great pains to "protect the kids!" What happened? Think they started off with the best of intentions before quickly realizing they could never keep up with the sheer number of people posting immature/"adult"-oriented shit?

Given what happened with Swapnote and at the rate things are currently going, I'm slightly worried they might take the Miiverse stage away at some point. I sure hope not, as it has one of the best music sets in the whole game.

Thanks. How come 3DS players are low in number on GAF?

I think part of it is that the hyper-competitive mindset here (and elsewhere) tends to dismiss the 3DS version as "inferior" or not worth your time, especially if you want to play seriously, which just isn't true. Because they use the same engine and mechanics, skills learned in one version do transfer over to the other (aside from the obvious difference in controls).

Honestly, the controls are really the only serious thing Smash 3DS really has going against it (for most people you just can't beat a GameCube controller, and even if you don't use the GCN controller, almost any regular controller is better than shoehorning a complex game like Smash into handheld controls) and the only true way in which the 3DS version is inferior to the Wii U one... and the inferior controls are more the fault of the 3DS hardware itself than Smash 3DS. Obviously the 3DS version also has less content than the Wii U one given the platform differences, but it still has an enormous amount of content for a 3DS game and is, in my opinion, a technical marvel and something Sakurai and his team should be incredibly proud of. The fact that both versions share the same gigantic roster with the 3DS version still packing 34 stages (38 with DLC so far), only 30-40 less trophies overall than the Wii U version, and stereoscopic 3D visuals that run at 60fps is downright insane IMO.

There's no doubt that the Wii U version is the competitive standard for obvious reasons, but I think the idea that it sucks or isn't worth bothering with is mainly the result of an echo chamber full of people with a hyper-competitive mindset (so... here, Smashboards, etc.). I also play the Wii U version pretty seriously at this point, but I have no problems with and quite enjoy playing the 3DS version when I'm on the go or in other situations where playing the Wii U version with a GameCube controller isn't an option, such as playing with friends who only own the 3DS version. Smash 3DS also has some fantastic exclusive stages (Rainbow Road, Prism Tower, Green Hill Zone, Corneria, Magicant, SNES Mute City, Golden Plains, Pac-Maze... so many awesome stages, gah) that I dearly wish were in the Wii U version, so I'll sometimes play the 3DS version for a change of pace just so I can play on those stages.

If you're ever looking for someone to specifically play the 3DS version with and I'm around, I'm definitely down! I think it's a great game that stands nicely on its own, apart from the Wii U version.

Jesus.

On that note, is anyone else kind of shocked by what's become a seemingly complete lack of moderation on Miiverse and the online components of Nintendo's biggest multiplayer games (Smash, Splatoon, Mario Kart 8)? For a "Nintendo experience," it's become surprisingly kid-unfriendly. I see "adult" and often straight-up offensive usernames online (in both For Fun and For Glory) very frequently now, and I'd say questionable and downright M-rated posts pop up on the Miiverse stage about as frequently as regular/kid-friendly ones at this point. I'm not making a judgement as to what "should" and "shouldn't" be allowed, I'm just utterly shocked by the rampant Xbox Live/PSN-ness going on here since Nintendo usually takes great pains to "protect the kids!" What happened? Think they started off with the best of intentions before quickly realizing they could never keep up with the sheer number of people posting immature/"adult"-oriented shit?
I am pretty surprised as well. I made a thread about it in Gaming, and was largely told to get over it, and that it's perfectly fine for people to go online with usernames like "SUKMYDIK".

I am pretty surprised as well. I made a thread about it in Gaming, and was largely told to get over it, and that it's perfectly fine for people to go online with usernames like "SUKMYDIK".

I am pretty sure people in this thread have told me stuff like "What do you expect on For Glory?" whenever I talk about one of these people.

I don't recall you ever speaking particularly about profanity.

I am pretty sure I have mentioned profanity once at least. Why does it have to be profanity? Are you saying it is okay to have "USUCK" as a tag, but not "USUKDIX"? It doesn't matter what the person is doing wrong. The problem is that they are doing something wrong. Harassment, with certain words or not, is not a fun thing.

Yo Karsticles, you plan on introducing Karst Jr. to the wonderful world of Smash? ;)

Also, what is your issue with KI's combo breaker mechanic if you don't mind me asking?
I never mind questions! The problem with KI's combo breaker mechanic is that it is purely a guessing system. If you ever played MvC3, it's the same thing as TACs. There's no real logic or reason behind what your opponent does; your opponent can pick randomly and it's just as effective as thinking the options through. There are no real visual indicators to consider, either. It's not mindgame-based.

In my opinion, fighting games are really two things: execution, and mindgames. Nothing else should be present.

I'll introduce Karst Jr. by playing next to him a bit. My sister's son LOVES cell phones because she's always on hers. Kids learn!

I am pretty sure I have mentioned profanity once at least. Why does it have to be profanity? Are you saying it is okay to have "USUCK" as a tag, but not "USUKDIX"? It doesn't matter what the person is doing wrong. The problem is that they are doing something wrong. Harassment, with certain words or not, is not a fun thing.
Well, the context of my concern is specifically around children playing the game. "U SUCK" is pretty common among kids. You can't expect everyone to be perfectly sportsmanlike, but outright profanity is going a bit far.

I need better taunts.

"Metroid Prime sucks."
"FF6 is boring"
TMNT3 > TMNT2"

I have the second two, just need to see if the first can fit, and then think of a 4th.

They're all true, btw

Top Bottom