• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I am pretty surprised as well. I made a thread about it in Gaming, and was largely told to get over it, and that it's perfectly fine for people to go online with usernames like "SUKMYDIK".

I saw a similar post on Reddit, complaining about For Glory being filled with people changing their names to offensive stuff and the person was told to shut it and grow thicker skin. It sucks.

I need better taunts.

"Metroid Prime sucks."
"FF6 is boring"
TMNT3 > TMNT2"

I have the second two, just need to see if the first can fit, and then think of a 4th.

They're all true, btw

Instead of "FF6 is boring," you could try the far more inflammatory "FF13 = best FF" or "FF13 rocks."

The fact that I happen to think FF XIII actually is awesome is irrelevant here.

Boney

Banned
V is the best ff so I'm ok there

I saw a similar post on Reddit, complaining about For Glory being filled with people changing their names to offensive stuff and the person was told to shut it and grow thicker skin. It sucks.
Karst thread was the worst. I really don't understand how people brush off internet culture like thst

Thulius

I never mind questions! The problem with KI's combo breaker mechanic is that it is purely a guessing system. If you ever played MvC3, it's the same thing as TACs. There's no real logic or reason behind what your opponent does; your opponent can pick randomly and it's just as effective as thinking the options through. There are no real visual indicators to consider, either. It's not mindgame-based.

That's actually a pretty gross oversimplification of the system. I'm simplifying a bit myself here, but for the most part KI combos are comprised of an opener, certain specials and normals linked back and forth, then an ender. The normals in the middle are usually auto-doubles, which is just pressing an attack button during the special linker and automatically getting 2 moves of the corresponding strength to follow. On defense, there's a different breaker for light, medium and heavy attacks. Obviously, the time to react and damage both scale up with the strength of the button.

Back on the offensive side, there are also manuals, which have stricter timing (similar to links in other FGs) and only hit once. They do less damage, but also give the opponent less time to react and can be used to bait out people that would otherwise be hitting their combo breaker on the second hit.

Between lockouts and counter breakers, it's still risky to go for a combo breaker if you do have some sort of read, because the damage you take while locked out is going to be entirely heavies, which is when you start to see the absurd 50-70% damage combos in that game.

So I mean, breaking lights/mediums is still usually a guess but there are certainly players who will react to heavies and certainly educated guesses you can make based on player habits. I don't really like the mechanic myself, but the risk/reward for someone who's just guessing is heavily stacked in favor of avoiding breakers altogether. Good players will rarely guess break unless the combo is likely to kill them anyway. TACs they are not.

I've already played FF6 though, so I wouldn't be lying. I haven't played 13.

Fair enough. Good on you for not automatically jumping on the "FF XIII sucks" bandwagon, unlike many others who say they hate it/it's terrible but then go on to admit they haven't actually played it and have just heard that's the popular opinion. :p

Personally I find FF V to be the only boring 16-bit FF and I think FF VI is pretty great, but I can certainly see why it doesn't appeal to everybody!

To relate this post to Smash somehow... I guess if any FF character made it into Smash somehow, I'd want it to be Terra or Mog since they're my favorite characters from a Final Fantasy originally released on Nintendo hardware.

How would you guys feel if Smash 4 had chip damage? 30% of projectile damage hits through shields. Shadow Ball would still deal 7.8% damage when fully charged, and 0.6% uncharged, for example.

That's actually a pretty gross oversimplification of the system. I'm simplifying a bit myself here, but for the most part KI combos are comprised of an opener, certain specials and normals linked back and forth, then an ender. The normals in the middle are usually auto-doubles, which is just pressing an attack button during the special linker and automatically getting 2 moves of the corresponding strength to follow. On defense, there's a different breaker for light, medium and heavy attacks. Obviously, the time to react and damage both scale up with the strength of the button.

Back on the offensive side, there are also manuals, which have stricter timing (similar to links in other FGs) and only hit once. They do less damage, but also give the opponent less time to react and can be used to bait out people that would otherwise be hitting their combo breaker on the second hit.

Between lockouts and counter breakers, it's still risky to go for a combo breaker if you do have some sort of read, because the damage you take while locked out is going to be entirely heavies, which is when you start to see the absurd 50-70% damage combos in that game.

So I mean, breaking lights/mediums is still usually a guess but there are certainly players who will react to heavies and certainly educated guesses you can make based on player habits. I don't really like the mechanic myself, but the risk/reward for someone who's just guessing is heavily stacked in favor of avoiding breakers altogether. Good players will rarely guess break unless the combo is likely to kill them anyway. TACs they are not.
There is a risk/payout system in Marvel, too. It's still effectively random because a good player will change constantly. I get that breaks aren't common. That isn't the issue for me. I just don't think the guessing game is good at all.

Marvel has the "counter breaker" system incorporated into TACs, except it's resets into throws and jabs.

Ew, chip damage? No thanks, I'd rather just have weaker shields. I don't think chip damage would work in Smash, especially in FFAs and 2v2 matches where you can take a million hits at a time.

Greninja camps Luigi pretty well. It's 6-4 at least if you abuse charged Shuriken, especially now that it's been buffed.
ZeRo's answer to everything is "Sheik or Rosalina," followed by "Diddy Kong isn't top 5" and then something about "Ness is the best character."

To be fair, "Sheik or Rosalina" is a valid answer to a lot of people for better or worse.

If you asked Shamrock who the best character was, he'd say the same thing.

Also, with your tsundere nature towards your mains I'd never expect a solid matchup against a high tier if you're right. I mean, pretty much every character board thinks every matchup that's not Sheik or Rosalina is a solid 50:50 or 55:45 lol.
I'm obviously exaggerating, but that's a common thought I've seen.

OmegaFax

To relate this post to Smash somehow... I guess if any FF character made it into Smash somehow, I'd want it to be Terra or Mog since they're my favorite characters from a Final Fantasy originally released on Nintendo hardware.

I'd settle for an Onion Knight Mii Fighter costume. Like, I know it's not the same status level as a roster slot but I can't see the scope of FF games represented in Smash unless a bulk of it were in Mii costumes. A lot of different characters could make good gunners/sword fighters/brawlers.

Boney

Banned
Greninja camps Luigi pretty well. It's 6-4 at least if you abuse charged Shuriken, especially now that it's been buffed.
ZeRo's answer to everything is "Sheik or Rosalina," followed by "Diddy Kong isn't top 5" and then something about "Ness is the best character."
Hahaha pretty much

Dude's so talented at playing but boy his videos aren't the best

nvm, I can play again
it fell inside the the open space between my mattress and headboard :T
lmao, don't you love it when things fall into the space between pieces of furniture?
"Is Mewtwo really that bad?"

Zero: "Yes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuVsKOzM7iY

You mean he agrees with what apparently every Mewtwo main figured out within two weeks? >.>

I like Zero, he was a pretty cool guy in real life but I can't help but wonder who he thinks his audience is with these videos. Maybe he was trying to spark some discussion or something?

lmao, don't you love it when things fall into the space between pieces of furniture?

You mean he agrees with what apparently every Mewtwo main figured out within two weeks? >.>

I like Zero, he was a pretty cool guy in real life but I can't help but wonder who he thinks his audience is with these videos. Maybe he was trying to spark some discussion or something?
Shamrock hasn't figured it out. ;-)

Actually, ZeRo's Mewtwo video is pretty bad. I don't think he knows what's going on, just making cash-in videos and riding public opinion.

Shamrock hasn't figured it out. ;-)

Actually, ZeRo's Mewtwo video is pretty bad. I don't think he knows what's going on, just making cash-in videos and riding public opinion.

So um, Rivals of Aether revealed a new secret character, it's
some kind of psychic lightning goat that looks like a mix of PM Zelda and Mewtwo gameplay-wise. Sure she's not a bad guy, but
what do you think Karst?

Spoilered for the sake of the devs keeping it hidden and me not wanting to ruin the surprise for anyone, source here if you're at all interested.

To be fair, "Sheik or Rosalina" is a valid answer to a lot of people for better or worse.

If you asked Shamrock who the best character was, he'd say the same thing.

Also, with your tsundere nature towards your mains I'd never expect a solid matchup against a high tier if you're right. I mean, pretty much every character board thinks every matchup that's not Sheik or Rosalina is a solid 50:50 or 55:45 lol.
I'm obviously exaggerating, but that's a common thought I've seen.

I've been to the Greninja board, it's probably one of the only boards that insists every matchup other than Sheik or Fox is even or in their favor. It's mostly based on Greninja having a transcendent projectile, fast movement, and his forward air letting him theoretically do well in any matchup, without enough competitive use to really develop matchups beyond calling them all even. Only Fox (and Sheik, obviously) stands out as a "bad" matchup for Greninja, but I don't like dealing with Ness either, and some of his matchups require a lot of precision or different strategies to win. But he has the tools/ movement, so until he actually gets used competitively more you can't really say they aren't at least even.

The main problem I had with Greninja is that the original patch ruined his shuriken and the way I played. It was not only way too slow and laggy, but they broke its stalling property where Greninja does a short hop after throwing it in the air. Now that the stall is fixed and you don't need to calculate distance, wind speed and direction, and enemy run speed before throwing a single uncharged shuriken, it shouldn't be as traumatic of an experience. They also fixed Lucas's grab, and his down tilt not even comboing properly, because I'm always right about everything.

If I can get my internet fixed in a timely manner, I mean.

entremet

How do you guys overcome the salt?

Been losing some close ones and man does it suck.

It usually throws me in a cursing rage lol.

Beats

Is Smash bros "accepted" in the fighting game community/world?

yeah, I'd say for a long while now.

I feel like the donation drive to get a another game at EVO being won by Melee that one year helped with that? I don't recall Smash being a thing at traditional fg tournaments/events before that (someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that). Now most of them have either Melee or Smash 4 or both at events along with all the other fighting games.

Dunno if that really counts as accepted. I think a lot of the prominent figures in the fgc think smash is cool at least.

Oidisco

I've changed my mindset towards FG to try and get less angry at it. I used to depend on it for practice and getting better, but since I started playing people here and elsewhere FG has just become more of for fun thing than anything else.

And whenever I lose to lag or weird stage jank causing Zelda to SD, I just try to laugh it off. I also started using characters I wouldn't normally play, so that when I lose it's not really an issue or a surprise.

Boney

Banned
Ouch it's pretty laggy sham, not sure if you wanna continue.

Gotta head out so nvm, gg's

Also it's so weird how wario is the only character that can get spikes by samus up tilt while in the air

Well, zero is the most famous smash player so his videos reach the widest audience even if it's nothing really new or interesting. His falco video is pretty bad though. Paraphrasing, give him lazerz

I've been to the Greninja board, it's probably one of the only boards that insists every matchup other than Sheik or Fox is even or in their favor. It's mostly based on Greninja having a transcendent projectile, fast movement, and his forward air letting him theoretically do well in any matchup, without enough competitive use to really develop matchups beyond calling them all even. Only Fox (and Sheik, obviously) stands out as a "bad" matchup for Greninja, but I don't like dealing with Ness either, and some of his matchups require a lot of precision or different strategies to win. But he has the tools/ movement, so until he actually gets used competitively more you can't really say they aren't at least even.

The main problem I had with Greninja is that the original patch ruined his shuriken and the way I played. It was not only way too slow and laggy, but they broke its stalling property where Greninja does a short hop after throwing it in the air. Now that the stall is fixed and you don't need to calculate distance, wind speed and direction, and enemy run speed before throwing a single uncharged shuriken, it shouldn't be as traumatic of an experience. They also fixed Lucas's grab, and his down tilt not even comboing properly, because I'm always right about everything.

If I can get my internet fixed in a timely manner, I mean.
Samus boards also thinks every match up is even it's moronic

Just don't get salty dude, enjoy playing good fights!

Actually, I do get salty at ness and Shiek

Sometimes I feel pretty salty playing on FG, but I just keep going at it and it seems to get better--until the person leaves, anyway...

Anyone want to play? If not, there's always FG. :p

I don't really get all that fussed if I lose but it's all about mindset. Instead of approaching it from a 'win/lose' angle, it's better to treat the game and your opponent as a puzzle you need to solve. whenever you lose, take a deep breath and then go over the match again, either in your mind or via replay and see where you lost, then try and figure out how you can 'solve' those situations by finding an answer to them or a way to avoid them :3
The goal should be 'how can I improve?' over 'I must win!' A match you win easily isn't worth much, while a match you lose but learn from is much more valuable :D

In the short term, it'll help you keep calm and in the long term it'll make you a better player, faster :p

So um, Rivals of Aether revealed a new secret character, it's
some kind of psychic lightning goat that looks like a mix of PM Zelda and Mewtwo gameplay-wise. Sure she's not a bad guy, but
what do you think Karst?

Spoilered for the sake of the devs keeping it hidden and me not wanting to ruin the surprise for anyone, source here if you're at all interested.
Looks like a magical pink goat furry...

I am not all that interested in Rivals of Aether. Unless it catches on, I won't purchase it. I don't play fighters with really small communities unless they are incredible. Too many options. I bought Skullgirls and Divekick to support the developers.

Become a pillar of pure salt like Snacks and I.

Crayolan

Play smashgaf and you'll get used to losing. Then instead of getting upset over your losses you can celebrate your victories.

I need better taunts.

"Metroid Prime sucks."
"FF6 is boring"
TMNT3 > TMNT2"

I have the second two, just need to see if the first can fit, and then think of a 4th.

They're all true, btw

"Sonic outlived Megaman"

Facts are the most hurtful

georly

Any gaffers at smash con or going to smash con? I suck but I'm chaperoning my step kid and his best friend and they're geeking out seeing their favorite players and being able to play against them. Kinda neat.

Top Bottom