• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Oidisco

I wish people didn't take FG so seriously. I fought a really good Fox that nearly won the game and I really wanted to play him more, but he left immediately.

Hah, I didn't let you breathe any of those matches.

Don't play her, lol
You were really aggressive most matches, but on that one you definitely camped the bottom platform, and there isn't a good way to get down to you.

I know you play a character that can always attack from anywhere, but for most characters, that stage isnt well designed.

You were really aggressive most matches, but on that one you definitely camped the bottom platform, and there isn't a good way to get down to you.

I know you play a character that can always attack from anywhere, but for most characters, that stage isnt well designed.

That, and having his opponents above him is a great position for Ness.

Nabster92

Yeah. The bottom platform is too small and campy. I can see why Shamrock likes it.

GGs. No idea what I am doing with Rosalina. Tips?

Probably the thing that took the most getting used to for me when I started out playing Rosalina was actually focusing more on Luma's hitboxes rather than Rosalina's, and actually using them differently than Rosa's hitboxes.

Luma's attacks have really bad priority because all of Luma's attacks are pretty low damage, so pretty much anything you go for with Luma will just clash with any kind of hitbox from the other person, but since Luma isn't a part of Rosalina herself, the opponent's move will still hit you because Luma only negated the attack for himself and not Rosa. So you want to aim Luma attacks to punish things and Rosalina's hitboxes to challenge things.

Nabster92

Oh yea, I had a pretty hilarious kill on Dunnobro in our first game of our set. He plays Duck Hunt Dog. So he was at a pretty high percent on Town and City and I hit him with an up smash that didn't quite kill him yet. So he was off screen at the top of the stage coming back right towards the stage, while he had a can left on the screen on one of the platforms. Then not even really planning to do anything with it and just trying to get it out of the way, I u-air'd the can to hit it away. The can ended up flying straight up super fast right into him off screen at the top and killed him. I didn't even realize that happened until I heard him say "Oh my God..." and saw the blank look on his face as he died.

Oidisco

I also 2-stocked a Kirby, a Sheik, and a ZSS. I have no idea what is happening tonight.

I was secretly training you to use Zelda all along and clearly I was a good teacher!

Just played Marth Dittos with someone on FG for well over an hour and it was sooooo much fun. Might've been because he only won 4 games but still, it was awesome! He had a really good Marth and he gave me some ideas about using Jab 1 setups.

I saved a couple matches that I really enjoyed, but where I played a little sloppy at times. Gotta see what I can improve cos this is really after getting excited to use Marth more.

Fandangox

Is there a way to friend decent players you meet in FG?

Go to your friend list app and check recently played players, you can go to their miiverse profile from there and request.

I think you can also leave message to a player after an online match during the results screen.

Cronox

Banned
Is there a way to friend decent players you meet in FG?

You can (press X on the results screen, select their profile), but don't bother. With no way to communicate instantly (the "alert" that they've received a message is silent and won't be seen unless they hit the home button and notice the icon flashing) means one of you would have to set up a room for no reason, and the other would need to stumble upon your open room and join, without any communication at all. Not happening. Back when I started I had people friend request me and sent friend requests to a couple people. But I didn't understand how it worked yet...

JulianImp

You can (press X on the results screen, select their profile), but don't bother. With no way to communicate instantly (the "alert" that they've received a message is silent and won't be seen unless they hit the home button and notice the icon flashing) means one of you would have to set up a room for no reason, and the other would need to stumble upon your open room and join, without any communication at all. Not happening. Back when I started I had people friend request me and sent friend requests to a couple people. But I didn't understand how it worked yet...

I have a tag that's "Add me?" and tend to switch to that whenever I find a good opponent in FG and after sending them a friend request. It obviously doesn't work if they leave right away, but some of them have added me back.

Then there's the problem of actually arranging a match with them, since the WiiU's comment system is so backwards that you can't possibly have a conversation in a timely manner to get together and play.

I don't understand Smash Bros. players' insistence on that we need MORE STAGES. If the price of having more stages is keeping Castle Siege, Halberd, and Delfino legal, then screw that. It's like if Counter-Strike rotated the map 45 degrees every round and had artillery that hit fixed locations. It wouldn't be insurmountable, right? That doesn't mean it wouldn't be completely stupid and decide rounds by sheer nonsense. I think Delfino is a fun stage. I like that I can get KO's at 30% with a single up throw to up air. But I'll still admit that's really goddamn stupid and should never happen.

It feels like Smash Bros. competition is stuck between vehemently wanting to be a "competitive game" yet still thinking with the party game attitude, that more automatically means better.

I don't understand Smash Bros. players' insistence on that we need MORE STAGES. If the price of having more stages is keeping Castle Siege, Halberd, and Delfino legal, then screw that. It's like if Counter-Strike rotated the map 45 degrees every round and had artillery that hit fixed locations. It wouldn't be insurmountable, right? That doesn't mean it wouldn't be completely stupid and decide rounds by sheer nonsense. I think Delfino is a fun stage. I like that I can get KO's at 30% with a single up throw to up air. But I'll still admit that's really goddamn stupid and should never happen.

It feels like Smash Bros. competition is stuck between vehemently wanting to be a "competitive game" yet still thinking with the party game attitude, that more automatically means better.
Completely agreed.

Delfino, Halberd, and Castle Seige shouldn't be legal stages.

Zelda becomes Karsts new main.
I was undefeated until a laggy Sonic came about. :(

She is pretty great for stomping noobs, but she loses to Ness and Lucas like every other character that relies on an energy projectile. I actually enjoy Bowser and Jigglypuff the most these days, even though both are pretty bad.

But then I have problems with Rosalina. I use Mewtwo against her.

I basically have three characters I use in different matchups because they are all bad and I need to counterpick with everyone. It is a really unsatisfying way to play, though. This is the only fighting game that I counterpick in. In every other, I use one character 100% of the time. I would like to be able to do that here, too.

I have always loved Zelda, but she was just so bad. Now she is probably in the same league as the other three characters I use: can win against mediocre opponents, extreme struggle against people my skill level and above.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Transforming stages have value in blowing up heavily defensive match-ups.

Custom Villager can't exactly rely on his ledge game all the time if the stage transforms regularly, occasionally disposing of ledges altogether in the process.

FSLink

Banned
Transforming stages have value in blowing up heavily defensive match-ups.

Custom Villager can't exactly rely on his ledge game all the time if the stage transforms regularly, occasionally disposing of ledges altogether in the process.
Exactly. I like more stages.

Though removing Halberd for better stages like Mii verse, Dreamland 64, and such is fine by me.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't like long stage lists, but I do like varied ones.

There should be as many stage archetypes represented as possible as long as they're not too out there. Stage mastery is an important part of the game, and they have a big effect on match-ups.

What I'm not too fond of is when extremely similar stages (ex: Battlefield & Dream Land) occupy 2 of 5 slots on a starter stage list. And when you get to 3 or more legal transforming stages, it becomes impossible to leverage your stage bans to avoid them.

Started practicing with Pikachu last night. Almost seems unfair using him against Captain Falcon.

Also I wish the tornado on Hyrule 64 was a bit weaker, then it could be legal. :(

I don't like long stage lists, but I do like varied ones.

There should be as many stage archetypes represented as possible as long as they're not too out there. Stage mastery is an important part of the game, and they have a big effect on match-ups.

What I'm not too fond of is when extremely similar stages (ex: Battlefield & Dream Land) occupy 2 of 5 slots on a starter stage list. And when you get to 3 or more legal transforming stages, it becomes impossible to leverage your stage bans to avoid them.
I understand this. My issue with Delfino is that it is so campy. The various transitions often have a structure that results in two people sitting above/below a ledge and waiting for the flying platforms to come back. No one wants to make the disadvantageous decision to approach.

Halberd has hazards that come into play ALL THE TIME. Just last night I threw Namagem into the laser.

Castle Seige sometimes forces a SD during one of the transitions. I've even seen it happen in competitive play.

Fandangox

Started practicing with Pikachu last night. Almost seems unfair using him against Captain Falcon.

Also I wish the tornado on Hyrule 64 was a bit weaker, then it could be legal. :(

Probably Falcon's worst MU in my opinion.

Also Hyrule Castle seems like it'd be too big despite no Tornado to be legal.

Isn't the Castle Siege thing something that is really convoluted and you have to set it up by grabbing someone? I don't see why you would need to bam it.

Isn't the Castle Siege thing something that is really convoluted and you have to set it up by grabbing someone? I don't see why you would need to bam it.
It happens when you are knocked off right before the transition. You are "falling", but your opponent isn't, but during the transition you are both at the same height. When the transition ends, you are near the blast zone. It is such a weird experience. If Sakurai could fix that, it would be fine.

FSLink

Banned
Or not paying attention during transitions. Not really needed to be banned. It's different from Halberd where RNG can fuck you up.

It happens when you are knocked off right before the transition. You are "falling", but your opponent isn't, but during the transition you are both at the same height. When the transition ends, you are near the blast zone. It is such a weird experience. If Sakurai could fix that, it would be fine.
So you're saying it IS convoluted. OK then.

Top Bottom