• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Ok guys, I bought a copy of ssb 3ds version, used. Just got it today and updates the game.I noticed that some characters were already unlocked, like ness.

Then I played 10 matches and lucina was the fist to be unlocked???

I thought it was weird and checked the player stats and strangely it says I have been playing this game for months and used other characters when I have not.

I never played this game before, so it is strange. Any idea what it is? I thought the save data is now on the SD card, and not the cartridge itself, so I can't be the data from the previous owner, right?

going to New York with my family

Have fun. I went to New York a few years ago. It was alright. I got a free Pokemon Conquest poster from the Nintendo World store.

Ok guys, I bought a copy of ssb 3ds version, used. Just got it today and updates the game.I noticed that some characters were already unlocked, like ness.

Then I played 10 matches and lucina was the fist to be unlocked???

I thought it was weird and checked the player stats and strangely it says I have been playing this game for months and used other characters when I have not.

I never played this game before, so it is strange. Any idea what it is? I thought the save data is now on the SD card, and not the cartridge itself, so I can't be the data from the previous owner, right?

Save data is on the cartridge, and the update and DLC data is on the SD card.

TWILT

Banned
Anyone up for some games? I just got back home to Canada, so if I lose a lot, that's my john :3 Customs off preferably.

I see you in the top 50 on Anthers Nami. Woo woo!

Just finished a set. Feel free to join.

Yeah, but I was in a never-ending loop of win-loss-win-loss yesterday. I ended up like 19 points ahead when I ended with 3 wins. The Captain Falcon that I said destroyed me was sethsational. The Bowser Jr. player right above you in the ranks beat me 2-0, but then I asked for friendlies because I have no experience in the match-up, and I beat him 3-0 there. A DK named RiotLettuce beat me 2-0, asked for friendlies, and it ended up 3-2 (total) in his favor. He challenged me because he believes DK is free for Yoshi, and previous ones have been, but he was definitely on a whole other level than the other DKs I have fought. But I feel I can beat him with some more practice.

I am actually 51 right now. That is what happens when you don't play for a day. I guess I will play some tonight.

Let me just post the comments from my recent matches:

TrevyTrev: "Egg, egg, egg, egg, egg, egg, egg, egg, egg, egg, grab, pummel, jab once you mash out, egg, egg, egg, jab, tech chase, up smash. Game. Ggs though." (Link player that was decent and did an interesting bomb slide, but I still won 2-0)

masho: "damn f-airs" (Lucina player who beat me 2-1. The one game I won I actually saved the replay of, and is likely the reason they left this comment. But Lucina is one of Yoshi's worst match-ups. I was just getting juggled and couldn't do a thing.)

I am above Nabster with less matches than him, so I must be better. xD

SoldnerKei

and that's how you finish a game!

lol, ok, next time TWILT, damn it, I really wanted to play ya xD

GGs dude, hopefully your next opponent will provide a pleasent online experience

Shamrock, tell me your secret weak points while playing as Lucas. Yoshi can't do shit against him, especially when it is time to KO. Getting killed at 100% while killing the other person at 150%+ is bullshit. I lost 2-0 to Kodystri.

Shamrock, tell me your secret weak points while playing as Lucas. Yoshi can't do shit against him, especially when it is time to KO. Getting killed at 100% while killing the other person at 150%+ is bullshit. I lost 2-0 to Kodystri.
Lucas is a prime target to SHAD against. Running up into shield and OoS Nairing is also a great option.

Lucas is a prime target to SHAD against. Running up into shield and OoS Nairing is also a great option.

That didn't seem to work because he would just retreat PK Fire. He pretty much only used his safest moves + his overpowered grab. I don't like fighting Ness, but I hate fighting Lucas.

I also couldn't edge guard him because his tether can pretty much let him recover from anywhere. He only had to use his PK2 like 3 times.

That didn't seem to work because he would just retreat PK Fire. He pretty much only used his safest moves + his overpowered grab. I don't like fighting Ness, but I hate fighting Lucas.

I also couldn't edge guard him because his tether can pretty much let him recover from anywhere. He only had to use his PK2 like 3 times.
Let him retreat. Playing the stage position is part of the game,

Lucas' grab is terrible. If you are consistently getting grabbed you need to change up your approach because that shouldn't happen. You should be punishing the shit out of it.

Lucas is a horizontal fighter, and I have noticed he has a lot of trouble against enemies coming from above, as both his nair and uair are unreliable from that positioning. I would try coming from above with eggs and dropping down on him. Just be sure to move quickly to avoid a shield to grab. Lucas has limited kill options, so as you get higher up in percentages, play a safer game and you will probably frustrate the Lucas player into doing something to try and get the KO.

If you know he is going to tether, anticipate it and go for the spike. It seems to be easy to do against Lucas

The rope got a significant range buff in the last patch. I've had Lucas players grab Jigglypuff out of the air plenty of times. Plus it leads to KOs, which neither Samus nor Link can say about theirs. I would place Lucas as having the third best tether grab, behind ZSS and Yoshi.

Best to worst:

Yoshi
ZSS
Lucas
Toon Link
Link
Samus
Pac-man

The rope got a significant range buff in the last patch. I've had Lucas players grab Jigglypuff out of the air plenty of times. Plus it leads to KOs, which neither Samus nor Link can say about theirs. I would place Lucas as having the third best tether grab, behind ZSS and Yoshi.

It's terrible.

Yoshi
ZSS
Lucas
Toon Link
Link
Samus
Pac-man

LOL god no man.
Tell me why Toon Link and Link's tether grab is worse? They come out around the same speed (might even be quicker actually), and they both have better range (Link's considerably so) and have less end lag.
I can maaaaybe see Samus' being equal to Lucas but no way is it worse. I has a ton more range albeit it comes out slightly slower. I still give it the edge.

Best to worst:

Yoshi
ZSS
Lucas
Toon Link
Link
Samus
Pac-man

Pardon me for asking since I'm sure you have explained this before, but what is your logic for placing Yoshi's grab so high? Does he have really good followups or something?

It's 1 am over here and I've been doing a lot of reading up on Magic so I might not be all there mentally lol.

Let him retreat. Playing the stage position is part of the game,

I know that, but I can't do anything if he walls me out and he shields my eggs.

Lucas' grab is terrible. If you are consistently getting grabbed you need to change up your approach because that shouldn't happen. You should be punishing the shit out of it.

Lucas is a horizontal fighter, but I have noticed he has a lot of trouble against enemies coming from above, as both his nair and uair are unreliable from that position. I would try coming from above with eggs and dropping down on him. Just be sure to move quickly to avoid a shield to grab. Lucas has limited kill options, so as you get higher up in percentages, play a safer game and you will probably frustrate the Lucas player into doing something to try and get the KO.

If you know he is going to tether, anticipate it and go for the spike. It seems to be easy to do against Lucas

I wasn't really constantly getting grabbed, but he generally ended up getting me once at a high %, and that is death unless there I am DI'ing wrong. At really high percents, he doesn't even need to get a follow-up when he has high kill throw.

I tried multiple approach options. Spaced fair, SHAD uair, SHAD nair, egg + nair, etc. But this didn't matter because he could shield it all and not lose anything. At high % he would sit in shield because he know I couldn't do anything off of a grab, so my kill options are essentially a running random up smash, and up smash when he uses PK Fire too close, or an aerial read. He didn't get frustrated, he just kept his wall up and let the timer ran. I assume you do the same when playing on Anther's with a lead.

I will try jumping backwards to spike the tether grab.

Best to worst:

Yoshi
ZSS
Lucas
Toon Link
Link
Samus
Pac-man

What? Yoshi's is easily one of the worst. What are all of you people rating these grabs on? In my opinion, kill throws and follow-ups are the major factors. Sure, end lag and speed are important, but if you can get something big off of these slow and laggy grabs (Lucas and ZSS) then that outweighs the negative.

Pardon me for asking since I'm sure you have explained this before, but what is your logic for placing Yoshi's grab so high? Does he have really good followups or something?

It's 1 am over here and I've been doing a lot of reading up on Magic so I might not be all there mentally lol.

Yoshi has 0 guaranteed follow-ups, ever. Every character is able to shield after a jab release, and people can just jump away from down throw. Not to mention it doesn't kill until like 250% at the ledge.

Masked Man

I said wow

The hitbox(?) got a little bigger, but Rope Snake still has nothing on the speed and length of Link and Toon Link's Hookshot. Plus, the new (re: as of 1.0.8) angle on Link's Dthrow gives him a lot more options, like comboing into Uair.

Top Bottom