• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Oidisco

Yeah, I've just been messing around in Training and playing against CPUs to get the feel for the characters. I can beat level 7 CPUs pretty consistently now after a short night of playing.

I've watched some aMSa videos, but I don't really know what to look for. He's moving so fast that it's hard for me to keep up.

Just watch for the basic things he does like how he approaches, what he does after a grab and things like that. Probably best not to focus too much on combos or crazy setups just yet when watching him

FluxWaveZ

How comes I don't see more people play Lucario? That aura is seemingly so powerful. Maybe it's like Sonic, and even though a lot of people say he's powerful, many are not suited to playing him. Though I don't see Lucario high on tier lists, so he probably has major setbacks in other aspects.

I forgot about that bowling ball on the first stock.

How comes I don't see more people play Lucario? That aura is seemingly so powerful. Maybe it's like Sonic, and even though a lot of people say he's powerful, many are not suited to playing him. Though I don't see Lucario high on tier lists, so he probably has major setbacks in other aspects.

Probably just what you said. He is incredibly weak at low %, and he relies on a lot of reads.

I was wondering about this to. He was really popular in Brawl, but I hardly see people play him. He's super scary in Rage.

Haha, wow. That 'edge guarding' was not fair. Good games. I did alright with the random button. I felt my mains were way off today, especially when Shamrock joined.

Oidisco

I'm having one of those days where I just keep making the same bad decisions over and over even though I'm very aware of what I'm doing wrong.

Like I just went up against a not so great Zelda player who I had figured out after the 1st game, yet I kept letting myself get caught by the same shit over and over. I was also spacing things really badly and not punishing properly. Definitely having a bad Smash day.

I'm having one of those days where I just keep making the same bad decisions over and over even though I'm very aware of what I'm doing wrong.

Like I just went up against a not so great Zelda player who I had figured out after the 1st game, yet I kept letting myself get caught by the same shit over and over. I was also spacing things really badly and not punishing properly. Definitely having a bad Smash day.

Sounds like me every day lately.

Oidisco

Well atleast I know my Zelda is still pretty good even when having a bad day.
But Marth is stupid bad and I don't even want to chance using ZSS given how inconsistent I am with her on a good day

I run into that so many times that I catch on quick nowadays even on bad days.

It usually after I take one stock off someone, then they pull "cheap" strategies to guarantee them a win. I just flip the table and go "spammy" if they decide to pull that off.

Oidisco

I run into that so many times that I catch on quick nowadays even on bad days.

It usually after I take one stock off someone, then they pull "cheap" strategies to guarantee them a win. I just flip the table and go "spammy" if they decide to pull that off.

I never allow myself to get to the point of calling people spammy or anything like that. Unless lag is a big issue, if people use cheap tactics to win and I can't counter it then that's entirely on me. Even if they are just spamming.
And in this case it wasn't that the player was spamming the same move over and over, I just meant his general playstyle was simple and predictable and I still did poorly. Eventually I stopped being an idiot and beat him a bunch of times, but it still didn't feel good.

I never allow myself to get to the point of calling people spammy or anything like that. Unless lag is a big issue, if people use cheap tactics to win and I can't counter it then that's entirely on me. Even if they are just spamming.
And in this case it wasn't that the player was spamming the same move over and over, I just meant his general playstyle was simple and predictable and I still did poorly. Eventually I stopped being an idiot and beat him a bunch of times, but it still didn't feel good.

I don't change my name, I just change style. If someone wants to be cheap, I'll show them a whole new degree of cheap. Getting juggled by din's fire and phantom is always fun to piss off cheap players. I might be called a spammer but thats fine, since the spam method is usually a response to spam/cheap in the first place. And how I see it, sometimes it's one of the few viable strategies left if you can't find a way to counter an opponents style.

Oidisco

Oh now I get ya. When you put said "Spammy" like that I just assumed you changed your tag.
I pretty much do the same thing as you do. Just try to frustrate them into doing something stupid, though that generally only works against bad players since Zelda doesn't have good spamming options.

Thulius

His neutral isn't good enough to fight high mobility characters, basically. Fair isn't the god it was in Brawl, so a lot of characters just win the air game against him. Without the air game he's stuck with aura sphere and his poopy ground speed, and even then it's not very scary to just shield against him until force palm kill %s.

His rewards for good reads when he does have aura are bonkers so he'll never be "bad," but pretty much all of his kill options require a hard read. Bair is the only one anyone should be surprised by but that's still slow enough that you won't hit it often outside of airdodge punishes.

Anyone wanna 1v1?

Oidisco

His neutral isn't good enough to fight high mobility characters, basically. Fair isn't the god it was in Brawl, so a lot of characters just win the air game against him. Without the air game he's stuck with aura sphere and his poopy ground speed, and even then it's not very scary to just shield against him until force palm kill %s.

His rewards for good reads when he does have aura are bonkers so he'll never be "bad," but pretty much all of his kill options require a hard read. Bair is the only one anyone should be surprised by but that's still slow enough that you won't hit it often outside of airdodge punishes.

Anyone wanna 1v1?

I'll play for a little while. Can't remember if I have you added, NNID is Oidisco

I'll be ready to play in a few minutes, just gotta make tea first

This feels a little laggy to me. Throwing me off a bit

Thulius

I'll play for a little while. Can't remember if I have you added, NNID is Oidisco

I'll be ready to play in a few minutes, just gotta make tea first

This feels a little laggy to me. Throwing me off a bit

There's definitely some latency, not seeing major spikes or anything like that though. Probably just a distance issue.

Oidisco

Blah

I'm gonna be stupid and use ZSS when I'm already playing poorly! Ok that started off horribly but I got back into the swing of things with her after a bit. Still not feeling it though

I honestly don't know if it's me or the lag that's causing so many incorrect inputs, but hey atleast that last one actually worked out for me!

Thulius

Quick attack went off the ledge, didn't ledge cancel, and didn't grab the ledge afterwards.

Never seen that one.

E: Why can ZSS literally just downB through thunder

Somebody talked about Greninja while I wasn't around.
My internet fixed itself long enough for me to play against Boney, but that same night a thunderstorm reset everything with a power surge and it went right back to being broken. So I need to complain to the office or something, because the network in this building does not seem to be set up very well. I've gotten to play literally only one day since the patch.

Pikachu is so awkward for ZSS

He's too short. Stupid short mouse-thing.

Oidisco

I've literally never fought Falco with ZSS, gonna take some getting used to

There's some weirdness happening here, so many of grabs are messing up. Like I input pivot grab or dash grab and it's just not happening. Oh well

Thulius

I've literally never fought Falco with ZSS, gonna take some getting used to

There's some weirdness happening here, so many of grabs are messing up. Like I input pivot grab or dash grab and it's just not happening. Oh well

Look on the bright side. I can't whiff punish the ones that do come out!

Oidisco

Sheik is rough times

Also, I keep picking Omega Onett only because I like the music!

WOW! That killed so early! I know there was rage but that was kinda nuts.

Oidisco

Thought I had another jump! Not feelin Mario, so Samus time!

NNNOOOOO!

Teching fails me again

I was certain I pressed that attack button and not the jump into the up-smash button...
Lucario is fucking stupid! I needed that, he's not actually stupid I was just salty!

Oidisco

Yea as I said, I don't think Lucario is completely stupid. I just think Aura makes him a bit too powerful.
Anyways, it's super late so this is my last game

One more cos sd's are a bad way to end it!

Thulius

Yea as I said, I don't think Lucario is completely stupid. I just think Aura makes him a bit too powerful.
Anyways, it's super late so this is my last game

One more cos sd's are a bad way to end it!

Even with aura he has nothing solid in neutral and gets destroyed by anyone with decent disjointed aerials, so :v

GGs.

Thulius

You have to master B-reversing his Aura Sphere. Key to his neutral.

I've seen this said a lot, but I don't get it at all. You can't use it offensively against people who aren't just sitting in their shields or whiffing random moves on the ground for no reason. If they're just sitting in their shield, they block it and then... either you get really specific weird collision going on and get a shield grab that you could've gotten off an empty jump anyway, or you get nothing.

Anyone with fast enough/disjointed enough aerials just hits him with a retreating nair/fair/whatever their good move is if he's ballsy enough to jump in blindly, and aura sphere's hitbox sucks and loses to that harder than any of his other aerials. Nevermind the fact that rolling behind it completely nullifies any threat it would have otherwise.

I mean, I've seen matches where people use it, but I still don't understand why anyone gets hit by it besides lack of matchup knowledge.

Cronox

Banned
Anyone around to play a little?

I've seen this said a lot, but I don't get it at all. You can't use it offensively against people who aren't just sitting in their shields or whiffing random moves on the ground for no reason. If they're just sitting in their shield, they block it and then... either you get really specific weird collision going on and get a shield grab that you could've gotten off an empty jump anyway, or you get nothing.

Anyone with fast enough/disjointed enough aerials just hits him with a retreating nair/fair/whatever their good move is if he's ballsy enough to jump in blindly, and aura sphere's hitbox sucks and loses to that harder than any of his other aerials. Nevermind the fact that rolling behind it completely nullifies any threat it would have otherwise.

I mean, I've seen matches where people use it, but I still don't understand why anyone gets hit by it besides lack of matchup knowledge.

Without really knowing much about it, I've seen it used as an approach option. Junebug (on the VGBC youtube channel) used to use it. He's not really getting on stream much anymore though.

Cronox

Banned
Ah, sorry to hear it. Don't force yourself or anything, haha. :p

Sure, room is up

Mega Man's neutral b is just too much, this is such a terrible matchup for Bowser. Even from 0% it lifts him off the ground, any button will put him into landing lag. I'm moving to secondaries, but won't last much longer at this rate. My deal when playing this game is I'm only playing to have fun.

Mega Man's neutral b is just too much, this is such a terrible matchup for Bowser. Even from 0% it lifts him off the ground, any button will put him into landing lag. I'm moving to secondaries, but won't last much longer at this rate. My deal when playing this game is I'm only playing to have fun.

I can switch if you'd like.

I have had it used very effectively against me. You use it as a juke, not as a direct approach. If you waveland it properly, you get a massive sudden shift in direction with a huge hitbox. You can also land usmash and bair off of it.

At worst, it gets shielded and you get a free fully charged Aura Sphere to throw. Not bad.

Rolling behind it just means you shield and return to the neutral. If they roll in front, you can fire a shot.

TWILT

Banned
GGs Nami. I think I'm slowly adjusting back after my break now lol. Fun matches; thought you were solid with most of your main characters.

You didn't seem any different than normal. If anything, your Robin is a lot better, and she is really annoying to fight. The only random character I got that I felt I wasn't getting thrown around and pelted with magic was Mario. It got a lot easier with Yoshi. Shulk seemed to be the same, and you seemed to do better each match. Not being able to tech a lot of that stuff with the usual online lag + the additional lag we had + my tech skills was not putting me in a good position versus Shulk. I think I was grabbed 20+ times per match against Link. I never end up mashing jump when being in the jab combo, but I think that will let me evade the grab.

Top Bottom