• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Cronox

Banned
Ok, so how do people in for glory do it? I press start immediately at the results screen and the person is already gone. Is there some way to back out to the menu from the results screen that I don't know of? Are people literally ripping the ethernet cord out of their Wii U's? What's going on?

Also, I figured out something today that I wish I'd known earlier - spamming Bowser's jab completely shuts down Ganondorf's side b, and 50/50's against his down b. The neutral is mine again!

Pretty handy info for DI'ing every characters throws: http://smashboards.com/guides/how-to-di-all-throws-in-smash-4.341/

Thanks for this!

I want but... i'm probably too late for that. Always sleeping when people want to play here. :c

I can play if you're around still. Sent you a friend request anyway. I will warn you I'm tryharding lately...

Ok, so how do people in for glory do it? I press start immediately at the results screen and the person is already gone. Is there some way to back out to the menu from the results screen that I don't know of? Are people literally ripping the ethernet cord out of their Wii U's? What's going on?

Also, I figured out something today that I wish I'd known earlier - spamming Bowser's jab completely shuts down Ganondorf's side b, and 50/50's against his down b. The neutral is mine again!

Thanks for this!

I can play if you're around still. Sent you a friend request anyway. I will warn you I'm tryharding lately...
Just roll away when he side Bs and punish.

I also wonder about the For Glory thing.

Reaction based read that I often fail vs 100% counter side b and 5-%+ clash with down b, shutting down Ganondorf's approach options... I'll take jabs.
Haha, fair enough.

My problem is that I react too fast, and I dodge right into it because the grab is so damn slow. :p

Jonke

Neo Member
Turns out Jonke is one of those "plays on random" types.

Sorry for all the SD's Jonke, I met a Captain Falcon earlier tonight who traumatized me and have been SD-prone since.

Well, i do have some characters i main but before today i haven't played since June. And... the input lag always makes me do weird things :v

Cronox

Banned
Well, i do have some characters i main but before today i haven't played since June. And... the input lag always makes me do weird things :v

Ha maybe you should ease yourself back in with for glory, I'm playing a pretty aggressive pressure game lately, much moreso than most people you'll meet. I don't want to discourage you as you're coming back in... I'm kinda playing like a dick lately.

Jonke

Neo Member
Oh man, you got me with the Zelda-vator :/

You're missing out then... For glory may as well be called for fun, for me anyway...

well, the lag is usually the reason. Input lag is the true un-fun thing to me. I've such hard time adapting to it from player to player.

Jonke

Neo Member
Do you have an ethernet adapter? The lag between us isn't bad, but it is noticeable.

Yes, i have one.

I'm not blaming my performance on lag, i'm clearly playing way worse than i usually do. It's just making me feel meh about the whole thing.

I'm gonna stick with the same char for a bit. Maybe i'll get the hang of it :v

Cronox

Banned
Yes, i have one.

I'm not blaming my performance on lag, i'm clearly playing way worse than i usually do. It's just making me feel meh about the whole thing.

I'm gonna stick with the same char for a bit. Maybe i'll get the hang of it :v

I think you're just playing conservatively. You don't seem to go for throw followups, or go offstage for kills much. When you've been away for awhile it's easy to forget the importance of these things. But they can make the difference.

Edit: I play so scrubby when I'm not playing Bowser :(

The worst is adapting to no lag offline. :(

Agreed :/

Jonke

Neo Member
I mean, i don't feel bad when you play Bowser, it's actually more fun to me playing against something very challenging but to you it might get stale due to how easy it is. ^^

Cronox

Banned
I mean, i don't feel bad when you play Bowser, it's actually more fun to me playing against something very challenging but to you it might get stale due to how easy it is. ^^

Ha no worries. I get plenty rusty after not playing for a bit. Good games! I had to call it there cause I'm 2 hours in after taking a melatonin (sleeping deal) and need to calm down (ie stop playing) for it to start having an effect. The main thing is getting back into the rhythms of throw combos, of knowing how far you can go while still being able to recover, etc. I suspect if you play for glory you'll find people that you have a better connection with than me, honestly. I've had good experiences with for glory when it comes to lag. The input lag in our matches was throwing me off a little too.

Jonke

Neo Member
Ha no worries. I get plenty rusty after not playing for a bit. Good games! I had to call it there cause I'm 2 hours in after taking a melatonin (sleeping deal) and need to calm down (ie stop playing) for it to start having an effect. The main thing is getting back into the rhythms of throw combos, of knowing how far you can go while still being able to recover, etc.

It's hard to follow up when i feel i've such loose control of my character. That or people jump/float away very easily.

Then again, i'm no competitive player. I don't read what works and not, just trial and error.

Cronox

Banned
It's hard to follow up when i feel i've such loose control of my character. That or people jump/float away very easily.

Then again, i'm no competitive player. I don't read what works and not, just trial and error.

People jumping away is usually a sign that you're followup isn't coming out fast enough, assuming it's a working followup- on your Kirby throws you might want to look into using his back throw for combo work, I was DI'ing up and away out of your dthrows so you weren't getting any mileage on them. On for glory earlier tonight, I fought 3 Ness players practically in a row. Only one of them was fast enough to catch me with dthrow->3 fairs. With the other ones I jumped out after the first fair cause they weren't being quick enough. People can go on about what's guaranteed or not combo-wise, but the "guaranteed" window is smaller than you'd think.

Robiin

Last few games, I gotta eat!

EDIT: Good games, that was fun! Pikachu is so much fun to play, but jesus is it hard not to SD some times....

Oidisco

I still don't know how I feel about the buff to Zeldas d-tilt. It does more damage and combos into up-air at kill percents, but it no longer combos into up-smash or up-b. Plus at low percents, it doesn't combo into itself for as long.

The little extra damage is nice, but I don't think it was the best change for her.

I still don't know how I feel about the buff to Zeldas d-tilt. It does more damage and combos into up-air at kill percents, but it no longer combos into up-smash or up-b. Plus at low percents, it doesn't combo into itself for as long.

The little extra damage is nice, but I don't think it was the best change for her.
Guaranteed high % kill setups are so important. I understand your thinking, but it is probably a good change overall.

You weren't? How comes?

It wasn't obvious? I thought the Pac Man match made it pretty clear.

I hate Little Mac. His smashes with armour and being unable to punish them without perfect shielding is annoying. Then even if I am ahead I am not, because the KO punch can decide the whole match.

FluxWaveZ

It wasn't obvious? I thought the Pac Man match made it pretty clear.

I hate Little Mac. His smashes with armour and being unable to punish them without perfect shielding is annoying. Then even if I am ahead I am not, because the KO punch can decide the whole match.

Oh, with the springs? That's pretty dumb, then, why didn't you just tell me to switch to another character?

I was winning too consistently using WFT against Sheik, so I switched to Little Mac because I figured I could win with him too, but for the matches to be more challenging. Guess I was partly right, heh.

Alright Namikaze, I have a room up! Sorry for the late reply!

I don't think I have you added.

Oh, with the springs? That's pretty dumb, then, why didn't you just tell me to switch to another character?

I was winning too consistently using WFT against Sheik, so I switched to Little Mac because I figured I could win with him too, but for the matches to be more challenging. Guess I was partly right, heh.

I don't like forcing people to not play a character. You were winning with WFT, but a lot of them were close. But yeah, I would prefer to fight Sonic over Little Mac.

Top Bottom