• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Oidisco

Never seemed like I was able to get anything out of fully shielding fsmash as Falco. Not like I fully shielded it a lot. :S

I've had Falco's punish me many many times after shielding my f-smash. It has a decent amount of end-lag so it's very easy to punish, just need to be careful and not release the shield too early and get caught by the last hit.

GC controller is so awkward... Not having a face button above the B button makes jump canceling a lot harder and having the stick below is super weird now after getting used to the pro controller.

My pad is a little worn out so maybe I should invest in a new one..

Still, I guess it makes tourney life easier but I was fine with the pro controller

Switch either the L or R button to jump and use that for jump-cancelling, it's what I do and works well.

I've had Falco's punish me many many times after shielding my f-smash. It has a decent amount of end-lag so it's very easy to punish, just need to be careful and not release the shield too early and get caught by the last hit.

I guess I just need more practice. I barely fight Zelda. That was the first time I fought Zelda with Falco.

I am likely going to be going to my first tournament next month. There is regularly monthly one in my city, but that one is harder to get to than the one I am going to go to. It is the first time the place is holding a Wii U tournament, but they have held two Melee ones before. The people that set-up the regular locals are also doing this one, so I guess the only difference is a change of venue. Oh, it is also going to be live streamed. $15 entry fee, with $10 of that being the venue fee. Currently 16 people are signed up, but it was just announced a couple days ago. I think I can do decently.

Should I play against the CPU to get a feel for timing and stuff offline?

Boney

Banned
God no don't play the CPU for anything

Switch either the L or R button to jump and use that for jump-cancelling, it's what I do and works well.
That's what I first did, but having zair being so inaccessible for samus can be a problem, so I set R to grab and z to jump

Boney

Banned
Fun fact, Metaknight is Samus worst match up, where a dash attack means you're dead

And dude you're playing amazing

Good games cyber! We hadn't played in a while so I was surprised at how good you're gotten! Crazy sonic combos and shenanigans.

Also, just learned how good a late nair with Charizard on the edge is for edgeguardingn because it goes below the edge!

GGs, Boney! Got some stuff to do now. Thought I would be more rusty as I haven't played since Friday, but I gets its natural now for me, haha. Nice to see you're still using Samus. I still think she's below average and needs some major buffs.

Boney

Banned
GGs, Boney! Got some stuff to do now. Thought I would be more rusty as I haven't played since Friday, but I gets its natural now for me, haha. Nice to see you're still using Samus. I still think she's below average and needs some major buffs.
Yeah still sticking with her. She's worse now than when the game came out while everybody else seems to be getting buffs. She's not bad but has shit match ups against most high tiers so she's completely unviable for tourneys.

Keeping my fingers crossed for anything at this point

Oidisco

I broke my promise to myself and played Smash right after disaster of a Tropical Freeze run.

But oh my goooood I played so well!

Juni you are pretty darn good! Sorry I have to eat but we should definitely play again soon because I think I am slowly closing the skill gap thanks to all the practice I have put in.

Thoughts on you Olimar:

Great use of the pikmin to set up a wall, your defense was pretty good and you know how to combo at low percents. I don't know if it was the match up or habit but you shield too much, it became very predictable and if I was better at punishing air dodges you would've been in serious trouble. Your movement is pretty good, especially around the ledge which I had trouble guarding.

Can you give me some pointers on playing ZSS better? I really need to work on punishing air dodging and not rely on the side b paralyzer whip so much as a spacing tool; I noticed you started getting grab punishes off of that. Also, I had a lot of fun playing Pac-Man at the end but I had no idea what I was doing for the most part haha. I think he's a good counter pick to olimar though.

I've been teaching a friend how to git gud at Smash, and it's an eye-opener as to how long the road to victory can be just like in other fighting games. What an experience it's been lol.

In other news, I plan to participate in two major (for my region) tournaments next month! Does anyone else have plans to compete? I understand The Big House is coming up. :O

The CPU is a combination of dumb decisions and superhuman reactions. It isn't good for much.

I know the CPU is garbage, but the main point is to get adjusted to offline play from online play. Everyone always talks about the difference between the two, even when you have the best connection possible.

Cronox

Banned
Tipster I'm going to leave Rosa to you, she destroys me offstage.

Edit: Nabster you seem to specialize messing up my recoveries :/

TWILT

Banned
Yeah, I'm done now lol. GGs guys! Fun matches as always. Been a while since I've played doubles, so it was nice playing that again. Thanks for the 1v1s earlier too, Nabster. Your Rosalina's really good as always haha.

Top Bottom