• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

JulianImp

Sorry SmashGAF, but after hitting a slump with the game and realizing that my local community was crap, I've finally decided to switch to LoL, which I've been enjoying a whole lot by virtue of how it was nothing like what I had played before.

I'll probably still drop by sometimes, but I don't think I'll play all that often anymore. Best of luck to you guys with the game!
Except for Nami and his custom DK.

Sorry SmashGAF, but after hitting a slump with the game and realizing that my local community was crap, I've finally decided to switch to LoL, which I've been enjoying a whole lot by virtue of how it was nothing like what I had played before.

I'll probably still drop by sometimes, but I don't think I'll play all that often anymore. Best of luck to you guys with the game!
Ew. At least play DotA.

What's wrong with your local community?

Falling into the Dota-likehole... how could this happen...

JulianImp

Ew. At least play DotA.

What's wrong with your local community?

• The event organizers had us pay AR$50 to play, and the payout was AR$700 for first place and 150 for second regardless of player count. In the end they got 72 players, which means they gave out AR$750 in prizes and took the remaining $2850 for themselves (I mean, come on...)
  • The stream machine was, as the organizers put it, where they'd showcase the matches where their own friends and acquaintances played. Favoritism much?
  • On top of that, the stream had no in-game audio, and the commentator was awfully biased towards said friends and acquaintances, praising single hits by their friends and barely mentioning combos their opponents made
  • At times, the commentator had stopped commenting entirely... just because
  • They forgot to write down my name as I paid the event fee and got a wristband to mark me as a player, and if it werent for me saying that my name was nowhere in the brackets I would've been left out of the tournament. Even then, they signed me up last so I was forced to play round -1
  • Only two of the four WiiUs had all DLC in them (the rest only had Mewtwo), which forced people who mained DLC chars to wait for said consoles to become available (I saw that happen to a Lucas main). It also meant I never got to play in Dreamland
  • The organizers were even playing in the tourney
  • They had two amiibos for a raffle at the end of the tourney, but one of them (a Bowser) was "reserved" for some friend of the organizers, so they ended up raffling a Samus and one of those E3 invitational character calendars
  • It might have been because I was new to the scene, but it was a pain to be ignored by just about everyone. I had to wait three hours for losers' brackets to start while I got constantly turned down whenever I asked anybody with a 3DS if they wanted to play a couple matches, and one time when I asked if I could play at a console, both guys actually got up and left, so I was stuck with a console to play in but no opponents

The one thing I liked was that I managed to keep my cool throughout all my matches, and then there was the fact that most of them weren't good at all compared to you guys. I mean, if I get to beat anyone at 2v2 friendlies using my random characters such as DK, DHD and freaking Ganondorf (all vanilla), it means there's something seriously wrong with my opponents. Some of them didn't even know 2v2 games were supposed to be played with team attack on...

Jesus, that sounds annoying. Sorry about your sour experiences. =(

Hope you give the game another shot in the future or find a better local scene. Dont be a stranger here though. And ignore the LoL hate, been playing it myself again lately. =P

Cronox

Banned

I don't really get DOTA-type games (I was the guy back in the Warcraft 3 days bitching about heroes and the mechanics that came with them) and don't find it exciting to watch, but if you're having fun, good on you. It's just a hobby after all.

Sorry to hear about how the tournament you went to wasn't great. Sounds like an overgrown college dorm event. In my experience just finding a couple people out of a 60+ man tournament to talk to can make all the difference in the world. If you don't find a few friendly people and don't come with your own friends tournaments can get real lonely and feel like you're wasting your time. For what it's worth, I wouldn't go to any tournament asking for more than $10 to enter unless it was a national-level one, the $50 fee was a red flag.

JulianImp

For what it's worth, I wouldn't go to any tournament asking for more than $10 to enter unless it was a national-level one, the $50 fee was a red flag.

AR$50 is under five dollars, though. Using a simple 10:1 conversion, the payout was 70 dollars for first place and 15 for second, while the organizers took home the remaining $285 in sigh-up fees (some of which was probably paid to the venue, a medium-sized gaming cybercafe).

While I really enjoyed playing Smash locally for the first time, there's just no way I'd ever give my money to those crappy organizers again. Seriously... screw them, their favoritism and their unorganized event.

AR$50 is under five dollars, though. Using a simple 10:1 conversion, the payout was 70 dollars for first place and 15 for second, while the organizers took home the remaining $285 in sigh-up fees (some of which was probably paid to the venue, a medium-sized gaming cybercafe).

While I really enjoyed playing Smash locally for the first time, there's just no way I'd ever give my money to those crappy organizers again. Seriously... screw them, their favoritism and their unorganized event.

• The event organizers had us pay AR$50 to play, and the payout was AR$700 for first place and 150 for second regardless of player count. In the end they got 72 players, which means they gave out AR$750 in prizes and took the remaining $2850 for themselves (I mean, come on...)
  • The stream machine was, as the organizers put it, where they'd showcase the matches where their own friends and acquaintances played. Favoritism much?
  • On top of that, the stream had no in-game audio, and the commentator was awfully biased towards said friends and acquaintances, praising single hits by their friends and barely mentioning combos their opponents made
  • At times, the commentator had stopped commenting entirely... just because
  • They forgot to write down my name as I paid the event fee and got a wristband to mark me as a player, and if it werent for me saying that my name was nowhere in the brackets I would've been left out of the tournament. Even then, they signed me up last so I was forced to play round -1
  • Only two of the four WiiUs had all DLC in them (the rest only had Mewtwo), which forced people who mained DLC chars to wait for said consoles to become available (I saw that happen to a Lucas main). It also meant I never got to play in Dreamland
  • The organizers were even playing in the tourney
  • They had two amiibos for a raffle at the end of the tourney, but one of them (a Bowser) was "reserved" for some friend of the organizers, so they ended up raffling a Samus and one of those E3 invitational character calendars
  • It might have been because I was new to the scene, but it was a pain to be ignored by just about everyone. I had to wait three hours for losers' brackets to start while I got constantly turned down whenever I asked anybody with a 3DS if they wanted to play a couple matches, and one time when I asked if I could play at a console, both guys actually got up and left, so I was stuck with a console to play in but no opponents

The one thing I liked was that I managed to keep my cool throughout all my matches, and then there was the fact that most of them weren't good at all compared to you guys. I mean, if I get to beat anyone at 2v2 friendlies using my random characters such as DK, DHD and freaking Ganondorf (all vanilla), it means there's something seriously wrong with my opponents. Some of them didn't even know 2v2 games were supposed to be played with team attack on...
What does AR stand for? I tried a google search...

Running tournaments for profit is illegal in the USA. Not sure about your country.

Running tournaments for profit is illegal in the USA. Not sure about your country.

I think AR refers to the Argentinean dollar in this context. I remember JulianImp mentioning he's part of LatAmGAF at one point.

When people run tourneys, they usually do it at a loss or rarely break even right? Unless they were running it for charity or something?

Edit: Wow, reading how much they pocketed that's just ridiculous. These guys were really shitty, sorry you had to deal with that Julian. :(

JulianImp

I think AR refers to the Argentinean dollar in this context. I remember JulianImp mentioning he's part of LatAmGAF at one point.

When people run tourneys, they usually do it at a loss or rarely break even right? Unless they were running it for charity or something?

Edit: Wow, reading how much they pocketed that's just ridiculous. These guys were really shitty, sorry you had to deal with that Julian. :(

Yeah, ARS = Argentine peso. Of course I wouldn't be expecting the whole entry fee to go to the pot (because there's always venue fees), but the fact that they decided on the payout regardless of how many people ended up playing the tourney was downright abusive. I'm left wondering what would've happened if they ended up getting too few participants to pay for the prizes...

Another thing I noticed is how annoying single or double-elimination events really are. Having played only Magic: the Gathering tourneys up to now, having to wait three freaking hours for my next match once I got knocked into losers' bracket at round -1 (due to a ganoncide when I had him at over 120% and I was at 15%, no less) was downright killer. Of course there's no way to have 32 console+TV sets so that everybody could play their games at once in games like Smash, but still...

Yeah, breaking even is normal. Profits are unheard of due to legal issues.

Yeah, ARS = Argentine peso. Of course I wouldn't be expecting the whole entry fee to go to the pot (because there's always venue fees), but the fact that they decided on the payout regardless of how many people ended up playing the tourney was downright abusive. I'm left wondering what would've happened if they ended up getting too few participants to pay for the prizes...

Another thing I noticed is how annoying single or double-elimination events really are. Having played only Magic: the Gathering tourneys up to now, having to wait three freaking hours for my next match once I got knocked into losers' bracket at round -1 (due to a ganoncide when I had him at over 120% and I was at 15%, no less) was downright killer. Of course there's no way to have 32 console+TV sets so that everybody could play their games at once in games like Smash, but still...
Always bring a book to tournaments.

Honestly it's really annoying when in double elimination tournaments they decide to run the entire winner's bracket before even touching the first loser's bracket match so I can definitely relate to the waiting time complain. It's just something that's inevitable really, how bad it is depends entirely on if there is or not a set up available for casuals.

Honestly it's really annoying when in double elimination tournaments they decide to run the entire winner's bracket before even touching the first loser's bracket match so I can definitely relate to the waiting time complain. It's just something that's inevitable really, how bad it is depends entirely on if there is or not a set up available for casuals.
The joys of 1 casual machine, and everyone wants to do 8 player FFA. -_-

I usually convince folks to do 4v4 or 2v2v2v2.

Cronox

Banned

Ah I glossed over the AR bit. Well... at least it wasn't that much money then. Karsticles is absolutely right, if I go to another tournament in the future I will be bringing a book. The San Francisco weekly tournament has 8 setups IIRC and even with that many, a 64 man double elimination tournament drags on for some time, especially if you get knocked into losers early.

For me, besides the waiting the worst part of tournaments is sweating. The space is filled with people and most likely already warming up, and when I play competitively I always get sweaty. At home I can run the air conditioning. It's actually kind of crazy, I never noticed getting nearly this sweaty playing video games until Smash 4. Guess that's the competitive spirit or something...

BTW, Namikaze you can rest easy, I don't think I'll be uploading any of our sets. Though a couple from your DK were tempting. I took you on a counter-clockwise once-around-the-world on Delfino that I found amusing, but the set wasn't quite one-sided enough (and my play wasn't quite perfect enough) to share with the world. You got lucky this time...

Thanks!! But i reaaly like your mind game, your falcon, and mario, are really on point!! I na only respond properly with fox, trying to learn zss but still i got focused more on her than the player im pmaying agisnt!!

RomanceDawn

I'm flying out to China right now. There is a Smash community out there so I hope to meet up with them sometimes. I was going to take my Wii U but I decided against it. I won't be back for a few months so my skill will only further deteriorate...

So if you need friend space you can remove Romancedawn for the time being.

The great thing about being busy out there is that I may come back to all kinds of great DLC goodies and patches! Dixie and better Mewtwo hit boxes will send me over the moon!

I wonder if I'll be able to access GAF while I'm out there?

Boney

Banned
Oh shoot, forgot to say this. Good luck in China Romance! Is your whole family going or just you? Take care!

Eww LOL? Haha well it's a bummer, you'll be missed dude. I don't go to tourneys because and I only play here really.

Shame about the tourney experience you had

Oh and dunno if you actually care but you guys played amazing against the all blacks today, what a match

Cronox

Banned
I'm flying out to China right now. There is a Smash community out there so I hope to meet up with them sometimes. I was going to take my Wii U but I decided against it. I won't be back for a few months so my skill will only further deteriorate...

So if you need friend space you can remove Romancedawn for the time being.

The great thing about being busy out there is that I may come back to all kinds of great DLC goodies and patches! Dixie and better Mewtwo hit boxes will send me over the moon!

I wonder if I'll be able to access GAF while I'm out there?

Did you bring a controller with you? As for accessing GAF, if you can't get to it normally, doesn't everyone use proxies over there anyway?

I'm really interested in seeing this. Got any replays? :eek:

Oops. Back into hiding for me.
I only have one sadly against Nami's DK, but that's about it. :(

Also, I won 3-0 against the Mewtwo player in today's tourney, Karst! Just incorporating more Spin Dash and not approaching at the wrong time made such a difference, haha. I think I need to do this in general in my matches more. Playing too honest sometimes won't get you far.

I only have one sadly against Nami's DK, but that's about it. :(

Also, I won 3-0 against the Mewtwo player in today's tourney, Karst! Just incorporating more Spin Dash and not approaching at the wrong time made such a difference, haha. I think I need to do this in general in my matches more. Playing too honest sometimes won't get you far.
Same Mewtwo player as last time? That's great!

Nabster92

GG's Namikaze, sorry there wasn't much Rosa towards the end. Started to kinda auto pilot and didn't want to with Rosa. I should remember to just grab or something after you do Yoshi's down B. So many games I forget how quickly you recover from it and a perfect shield comes out to block my up smash and I get up smashed instead.

Edit: Oh yea and also, always back throw with Mario against Rosaluma when Luma is still around her. You had a lot of opportunities in those games to just kill off Luma with the throw and opted for a down throw or something instead that just had any follow ups stopped by Luma.

GG's Namikaze, sorry there wasn't much Rosa towards the end. Started to kinda auto pilot and didn't want to with Rosa. I should remember to just grab or something after you do Yoshi's down B. So many games I forget how quickly you recover from it and a perfect shield comes out to block my up smash and I get up smashed instead.

I think the better option would be for you to stop using up smash.

Top Bottom