• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Renoir

So.. I got the game for my new 3ds. I played before but always in party setting over a friends house. This is the first time I owned a smash game. So where do I start? I've played the Jump game on Ds before but this game doesn't play like that. Any tips for new comers?

So.. I got the game for my new 3ds. I played before but always in party setting over a friends house. This is the first time I owned a smash game. So where do I start? I've played the Jump game on Ds before but this game doesn't play like that. Any tips for new comers?

You just play and feel things out, you know? Fight some computers, pick characters until you find someone you like, and keep playing. The first thing you can do is just familiarize yourself with Smash, since it's such a unique game and there's almost nothing else like it.

Well Ness didn't make it back home in 1 piece

lpGe94W.jpg

but... it did make painting the base easier... which is the final boss in Earthbound, Giygas. Not done with it yet.

but... it did make painting the base easier... which is the final boss in Earthbound, Giygas. Not done with it yet.

Neat! :D Can't wait to see more of it.

Also 3D printing is amazing, what's it like?

So I finally got to play some Rivals of Aether today, and it feels pretty darn good with a controller. Only thing I gotta get used to is having normals/tilts and smashes as separate buttons, but luckily the c-stick is perfectly usable! :) Orcane and Not-Falco look fun to me, what about you guys?

Boney

Banned
That Mewtwo nair, dtilt, fair, side b, to fair combo is pretty cool.

Be sure to watch the how to play video that plays when the main title screen is left on idle (or in videos). It'll cover the most basics of basics and teach you the systems.

Try playing a bit with the CPU, event matches and arcade and try to get to pick a character. Then, jump online in for glory to fight real opponents and just learn from them and yourself. Once you pick a character you might want to check character guides in YouTube.

Scawy giygas

Cronox

Banned
Here is the Yoshi video. I may have exaggerated about it being the best Yoshi video, but I am sure the majority of this thread will enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlAXQ8rMU24

Ha that Yoshi wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Chuckled at the ending just cause in that situation the Yoshi had just one job (not to get hit), and failed miserably. Ah well. The start was an impressive ballet of whiffs though.

Cronox

Banned
Namikaze I just fought a completely obnoxious Yoshi in for glory for like an hour. He loved his uair strings, maybe as retribution for me telling Boney to sack up when he complained about them. God it was terrible, this guy airdodged through everything so at some point I mostly stopped bothering with aerials altogether. With Yoshi's speed there's no time to bait and punish an air-dodge cause he's gone by the time his airdodge finishes. One match, I hit him with a grounded Bowser bomb and he fucking got a uair out and traded with the second (aerial) hit of it. What the fuck. Everything he did was so safe I basically had to extract percent out of him 8% at a time with the only safe defensive move Bowser has - OOS fortress. Anything else was too slow.

I saved a bunch of replays of it, unfortunately many of them were past the 3 minute mark so I can't put them on Youtube, but I'll send you some. It's absolutely disgusting how many matches ended in a last hit situation, but of course as a rule right now I only save ones where I win so spoilers and all...

Weird note, I was actually playing Sheik when he arrived, I won 2 matches with Sheik before losing the 3rd and switching to Bowser for everything else. This was definitely a matchup where I felt the limitations of my character choice.

How is low hover even hard? You just press down and jump together and hold jump.

It isn't hard, I am just not used to it. I can do it in practice but I mess up a lot in the middle of battle. I have only played like 25 matches with Peach.

^Cronox. You and Boney are making me feel worse than a FG Yoshi.

Namikaze I just fought a completely obnoxious Yoshi in for glory for like an hour. He loved his uair strings, maybe as retribution for me telling Boney to sack up when he complained about them. God it was terrible, this guy airdodged through everything so at some point I mostly stopped bothering with aerials altogether. With Yoshi's speed there's no time to bait and punish an air-dodge cause he's gone by the time his airdodge finishes. One match, I hit him with a grounded Bowser bomb and he fucking got a uair out and traded with the second (aerial) hit of it. What the fuck. Everything he did was so safe I basically had to extract percent out of him 8% at a time with the only safe defensive move Bowser has - OOS fortress. Anything else was too slow.

I saved a bunch of replays of it, unfortunately many of them were past the 3 minute mark so I can't put them on Youtube, but I'll send you some. It's absolutely disgusting how many matches ended in a last hit situation, but of course as a rule right now I only save ones where I win so spoilers and all...

Weird note, I was actually playing Sheik when he arrived, I won 2 matches with Sheik before losing the 3rd and switching to Bowser for everything else. This was definitely a matchup where I felt the limitations of my character choice.
Upload them.

Yeah, I don't know why Yoshi has such good defensive traits.

Second highest aerial mobility in the game.
Heavy weight.
Best shield in the game.

Plus arguably the best aerial offense in the game.

Inarguably the best command grab in the game.

Cronox

Banned
^Cronox. You and Boney are making me feel worse than a FG Yoshi.

I saved 6 replays, just sent the last 3 I saved to you. I didn't really get to play much of your Yoshi the last time we played, so I don't know what your uair game is like, but damn if his wasn't about as good as non-guaranteed combos can get. This particular Yoshi didn't have the reverse neutral b landing tricks you do, he just happened to be pretty damn good at punishes. I had to be very careful. I beat him more often than not though. We haven't played enough lately to compare records...

It's rare to come across someone good on FG, that's why I mention it.

Edit: I gotta sleep now, but I'll look through the 6 I saved tomorrow and see if there's any under 3 minutes worth putting up.

Boney

Banned
Upload them.

Yeah, I don't know why Yoshi has such good defensive traits.

Second highest aerial mobility in the game.
Heavy weight.
Best shield in the game.

Plus arguably the best aerial offense in the game.

Inarguably the best command grab in the game.
And one of the best projectiles

Y'all hate Yoshi so much just pick Fox, makes everything so much simpler to deal with. :^)

Well, after you get past the initial "every punishment can kill you so don't fuck up" phase.

And one of the best projectiles
And one of the best projectiles.

Y'all hate Yoshi so much just pick Fox, makes everything so much simpler to deal with. :^)

Well, after you get past the initial "every punishment can kill you so don't fuck up" phase.
I actually really enjoy playing Fox. He's like a more rushdown-oriented Greninja, whom I also enjoy. But why not have the best of Fox and Greninja, and play Sheik?

I actually really enjoy playing Fox. He's like a more rushdown-oriented Greninja, whom I also enjoy. But why not have the best of Fox and Greninja, and play Sheik?
Sheik doesn't have a reflector. Just the other day I 20XX'd a Lucina off-stage, and laughed as she could do nothing but fall to her doom.
I can't use fox, 2fast4me

He's the anti samus lmao

But isn't the anti samus just ZSS :^)

You understand now that Fox is a balanced character.

Neat, the way it's painted reminds me of my art projects from high school.

Not throwing shade or anything, I'm a terrible artist. ;__;

Not at all. Probably reminds you of that because you used the same painting medium. Acrylic Paint on fired clay looks like that and that is a popular high school art lesson.
That's just a preliminary coat though. Going to fix it up a bit and add some subtle shading.

TWILT

Banned
Next one will be my last.

EDIT: GGs Flux. Fun matches as always. Been doing a lot more practice with Ryu, but still got a lot more to do before I consider using him in a tourney match I see.

Boney

Banned
Nice comeback on the first video Cronox, loved the fair to fsmash

Yoshi interrupting Bowser Bomb with Nair should be illegal.
Three 3 frame nairs that can kill and having lingering hitboxes and no end lag can go die in a fire. It's even worse when characters like Mario and Luigi can throw 2 aerials out of a short hop.

Speaking of outrageous things, Falcon's fsmash outranges Falco's reflector.
I'm surprised nobody finds this note worthy.
Falcon pulls far enough to avoid the reflector and then lunges forward far enough that it'll hit falco. And shiet man, that reflector has huuuuge range

I've yet to kill anyone with a nair on-stage.

I don't play Yoshi or Luigi on a regular basis.

IIRC Fox's nair starts on frame 5 (someone can check me on this).

Doc's nair is stronger the longer it's out, so it has shit knockback on first active frame.

Y'all should've seen back when Marth could double fair from a shorthop, if he still had that in this game he'd be better already.

I've yet to kill anyone with a nair on-stage.

I don't play Yoshi or Luigi on a regular basis.

IIRC Fox's nair starts on frame 5 (someone can check me on this).

Doc's nair is stronger the longer it's out, so it has shit knockback on first active frame.

Y'all should've seen back when Marth could double fair from a shorthop, if he still had that in this game he'd be better already.
Nami has killed me numerous times off of a Nair OoS. :p

Boney

Banned
I'm ok with fox because of how fast he falls so he's not gonna get out of many combos with nair, and it is slower. His nair to up smash is sick though, but it's a tool he definately needs.

Luigi will kill at around 110-120 with his at full hop height. And like 140 from ground level. Yoshi can kill from the side at very low %.

Speaking of terrible things, is diddy's fair even better than shiek's? Yeah it doesn't have an arc, but it's range is huge, you can easily wall out people with it and it'll kill super early.
I really don't understand why people are so ho hum with him, banana wins the neutral, has insane mobility and amazing moves and combos. He was broken before but now he's still top tier easily, 3rd in the game for me

I'm ok with fox because of how fast he falls so he's not gonna get out of many combos with nair, and it is slower. His nair to up smash is sick though, but it's a tool he definately needs.

Luigi will kill at around 110-120 with his at full hop height. And like 140 from ground level. Yoshi can kill from the side at very low %.

Speaking of terrible things, is diddy's fair even better than shiek's? Yeah it doesn't have an arc, but it's range is huge, you can easily wall out people with it and it'll kill super early.
I really don't understand why people are so ho hum with him, banana wins the neutral, has insane mobility and amazing moves and combos. He was broken before but now he's still top tier easily, 3rd in the game for me
Nair to usmash, huh? I usually just set up for uair or bait out a punishable move.

Luigi's is bs, and I certainly don't doubt Yoshi's is as bad as you claim it to be.

I've experience with a good Diddy main in my local scene, and from what I understand Diddy has a high learning curve because you need to manage your banana and not throw it willy-nilly since you get so much reward out of smart usage and if your opponent knows item play as well (say, a Peach main) then they'll be able to use it just as well.

That fair is hella good for sure, but I'd argue his combo game is about on par with the Mario Bros. if anything.

I learned some really neat item-toss tech he uses to keep it in play regardless of the stage, and that Diddy's actually pretty susceptible to edge-guarding. Of course, when you're Samus...

Also he's actually lighter than the PK boys and has to work a fair bit for his kills once you understand not to challenge fair. I've been able to take games with my Doc recently and this is the same Diddy who ended my run at Combo Breaker earlier in the year lol.

Boney

Banned
Nair to usmash, huh? I usually just set up for uair or bait out a punishable move.

Luigi's is bs, and I certainly don't doubt Yoshi's is as bad as you claim it to be.

I've experience with a good Diddy main in my local scene, and from what I understand Diddy has a high learning curve because you need to manage your banana and not throw it willy-nilly since you get so much reward out of smart usage and if your opponent knows item play as well (say, a Peach main) then they'll be able to use it just as well.

That fair is hella good for sure, but I'd argue his combo game is about on par with the Mario Bros. if anything.

I learned some really neat item-toss tech he uses to keep it in play regardless of the stage, and that Diddy's actually pretty susceptible to edge-guarding. Of course, when you're Samus...

Also he's actually lighter than the PK boys and has to work a fair bit for his kills once you understand not to challenge fair. I've been able to take games with my Doc recently and this is the same Diddy who ended my run at Combo Breaker earlier in the year lol.
Yeah, late hit nair will send you horizontally at around 90-110 and you're put in a tech scenario. Sometimes fox can get before you even hit the ground. I've seen it a few times in YouTube.

And diddy can get a kill out of a dtilt, with fsmash and up smash. Super gross. But yeah, you need to learn how to deal with the banana and put it against him, easier said than done though.

Top Bottom