• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Robiin

For someone who is relatively good at smash, but have never tried Street Fighter, except for five minutes at a friends place many years ago, what do I need to know?

Inputs? Attack names and abbreviations? Light vs strong attacks? Please help me cause you all have gotten me confused as hell. Never felt so out of touch in a smash discussion before :(.

For someone who is relatively good at smash, but have never tried Street Fighter, except for five minutes at a friends place many years ago, what do I need to know?

Inputs? Attack names and abbreviations? Light vs strong attacks? Please help me cause you all have gotten me confused as hell. Never felt so out of touch in a smash discussion before :(.
SRK = Shoryuken
DP = Dragon Punch (Eng trans for SRK)
Hadoken = Fireball
Tatsu = spin kick

Blizzard

Banned

I'm a fighting game noob too. Light and heavy attacks in Street Fighter use different buttons. Because Smash has fewer inputs, Ryu's A tilts mean lighter attacks when you tap the button, and stronger / different animations when you hold the button.

Other terms refer to control stick motions. QCB is quarter circle back, QCF is quarter circle front, etc. They just refer to parts of the optional controls you can use described on Ryu's page: http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/ryu.html

Robiin

SRK = Shoryuken
DP = Dragon Punch (Eng trans for SRK)
Hadoken = Fireball
Tatsu = spin kick

I'm a fighting game noob too. Light and heavy attacks in Street Fighter use different buttons. Because Smash has fewer inputs, Ryu's A tilts mean lighter attacks when you tap the button, and stronger / different animations when you hold the button.

Other terms refer to control stick motions. QCB is quarter circle back, QCF is quarter circle front, etc. They just refer to parts of the optional controls you can use described on Ryu's page: http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/ryu.html
Thank you both! It will take awhile for all abbreviations to register automatically in my head, but a little brain training is always good.

Hey, I going to jump off for a bit to get some food, but good games! We'll have to play again when we've both had time to learn our characters a bit more.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I like Roy and Ryu a lot.

Also Bowser mains. Tough Guy works with the Red Hadoken. We can walk or rather run straight through it and not take any hitstun.

Pretty nice.

------------------

Can't find any character balance changes so far. For Bowser anyway. Flying Slam still the same. Pivot grab is still in.

Oidisco

At around 40%-50%, Roy's jab combos into f-tilt. If you can get the sweetspot it does 20%.

Not super useful, but it's something. Works well on bigger characters

Oidisco

I trying to find ways to jab-lock with Roy, but I'm can't seem to manage it. Granted I'm not good at doing it, so hopefully someone better than me can figure it out

JulianImp

While charges you can hold the other direction for him to attack in the other direction.

And you can tap forwards or backwards twice to cancel the focus attack, just like in SFIV.

I've tried a FADC into shoryuken in training mode, but I often went through my opponent during the dash, which results in missing the DP. I guess it'd work against wide opponents, though.

Unlike SFIV, you can't cancel normals into specials, or anything into focus attacks. I guess that's fair, though.

Boney

Banned
Apparently Samus up smash got a huge buff.

Hallelujah

They actually buffed Ike's shitty dash attack. Praise the playtesters and Sakurai!
What's new?

Confirmed:
Ftilt:startup 15 frames -> ~12 frames, damage reduced: 14%->12%. Ftilt's old sourspot did 12% up close, so it's overall a buff IMO.
Dash attack: startup reduced and damage increased: Sweet spot: 10%->14%. Sour spot: 7%->11% and 5%->9%
Nair: Less ending lag by a few frames
Aether: The suction properties were tweaked in some way.

Unconfirmed(likely):
Uthrow has less ending lag. Can combo more easily into aerials.

Unconfirmed (dubious):

Quick Draw startup reduced
Utilt has more lingering hitboxes
Nair has a faster startup

Wow me likey

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Unlike SFIV, you can't cancel normals into specials, or anything into focus attacks. I guess that's fair, though.

You can cancel most of his grounded normals into specials, including Focus. Not sure if any normal has enough hitstun to chain into an FADC for a true combo though.

Oidisco

Hallelujah

I could just be getting lucky, but it does seem a lot easier to connect all hits of up-smash. Same with Zelda's up-smash too.
I also noticed that Zelda's seems a lot stronger than before, however I never used that move too much so I can't really say for sure if it actually is.

Hallelujah

What's new?

Confirmed:
Ftilt:startup 15 frames -> ~12 frames, damage reduced: 14%->12%. Ftilt's old sourspot did 12% up close, so it's overall a buff IMO.
Dash attack: startup reduced and damage increased: Sweet spot: 10%->14%. Sour spot: 7%->11% and 5%->9%

Unconfirmed(likely):

Unconfirmed (dubious):

Wow me likey

I could just be getting lucky, but it does seem a lot easier to connect all hits of up-smash. Same with Zelda's up-smash too.
I also noticed that Zelda's seems a lot stronger than before, however I never used that move too much so I can't really say for sure if it actually is.
All good changes.

Falco got a good list of changes, too.

Zelda usmash apparently KOs much sooner.

Ness Psi Magnet buffed.

What is thundersliding?

Boney

Banned
What Samus changes have been measured/verified thus far?
Lemme clarify some stuff from the OP:

Missile Ledge cancel is definitely gone
Being knocked over the edge by CS recoil is also gone (in training mode at the very least)
Up Smash definitely has increased knockback, kills 20-30% earlier
Up Tilt always did 13% vs grounded 12% vs airborne

Everything else in unconfirmed yet
Just updated gonna check mysef

Hallelujah

What's new?

Confirmed:

Unconfirmed(likely):

Unconfirmed (dubious):

Wow me likey

Also F-tilt has less knockback, I can guarantee that.

However dash attack kills Pac man without rage mode at 100%.

SoldnerKei

Looks like a lot of the supposed low tiers got big buffs. That is great to see.

Metaknight
Falco
Charizard
Samus
Link

As far as I could tell from the little I played Link is pretty changed, his jab thou I wish they had changed it

Usmash buff it's something I have wanted since forever, it's more like a fix thou haha

Top Bottom