• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The 3DS roster screen looks completely full now with everyone.

Can't see any new reps unless they shrink down the icons.

Kouichi

Been playing a ton of For Fun Team Smash and 1 on 1 For Glory to beef up my Ryu. He's a a lot of fun to use, but very difficult to master. Aside form the EX Fireball, I find myself sticking to using the Smash inputs for all his special moves with the occasional True Shoryuken if I'm feeling confident.

Still getting used to switching between weak and strong attacks since I'm terrible at it.

Oidisco

Looked into the updated patch notes and I'm really happy about the changes to Marth, Zelda and Ike. I'll probably stick with Roy as my main for now, but those 3 characters are probably gonna be a bit more fun to play.

But I'm still baffled by the changes to Diddy. The last patch was perfect for him, still very strong but didn't feel broken. Now he's so much worse and it wasn't needed.

JulianImp

Then I'll make a room if there isn't one already.

And still ridiculous that somebody saw fit to nerf Diddy again but Sheik gets to keep her insane needles.

Needles make no sense to me. They're:
  • Fast
  • Hard to see
  • Short several at a time (so one of them clashes against stuff, and the rest get through)

I honestly would make it more like in Melee, where Sheik couldn't keep the charge like with Samus's beam, but rather had to charge the needles in place and throw them all right then and there, rather than being able to walk around with a full charge. Maybe they could give her a shield or roll cancel to get out of them unlike Melee.

JulianImp

I'd only start saying that after going through Shamrock's Lucas if I were you, he seems like the guy with the most competitive background with the blondie.

Puruzi's also plays a terrifying Lucas, I'd say.

Still, I guess it makes sense when Ness has a long-lasting disjointed aerial in fair, whereas Lucas' only lasting aerial is nair, and that doesn't give him any disjointed hitboxes he can use to stuff incoming aerials with relative impunity.

Lucas has good combos at early percents and a lot of tools. His off-stage is pretty bananas too. But he has a really bad disadvantage state, it seems. It feels like they tried too hard to make him a modest character, but didn't spare anything when it came to Roy. And Ryu just has a lot of potential.

Well, I don't know. Compared to Roy and Ryu, Lucas got utterly shafted. His moves have no priority and his grab is worse than Yoshi's.

GGs. I should start studying for my exams now.

Lucas' grab is in no way worse than Yoshi's. Lucas can tether, use it in the air as a spacing tool, and he has follow ups at low % and potential kill set-ups at high %. Are you talking in terms of start/end lag?

Yoshi being better against Lucas than Ness shouldn't come as a surprise. I haven't had much experience against Lucas, but it seems almost everything hits him out of his up-B. This is much better for Yoshi as I won't be very afraid of going off-stage. Against Shamrock I almost never go off-stage because I tend to get hit with the PK T2, which is much scarier than Lucas'.

But what about Pac-Man's? I know it lasts quite a while, but it's so slow I only use it rarely, even in spite of the good combos I could get out of dthrows at low %s.

Forgot Pac-Man was in this game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I haven't played enough of Pac-Man to know how well it fits into his play. Neither can use their grabs to punish shielding though, which is really lame and makes it hard for both of them to get KO's.

The main thing I would say is that Lucas's up smash is way underwhelming. It's like a slower, twice as unsafe version of Ike's with slightly more vertical range and KO's 10% earlier.

JulianImp

Forgot Pac-Man was in this game ¯\_(ツ)_/

Why, you...!

I know Roy kind of stole Pac's thunder, but I was focusing on maining him up until the DLC characters hit last week, and I think I was pretty decent at using him when I played against other GAFfers. Pac-Man's a really cool character that I really like using now, mostly because it's a bit less "get in your face and wreck stuff up" than the rest of the characters I tend to use.

The versatility afforded by his bonus fruit is really cool, he can recover from almost anywhere, and trampoline traps are most certainly real.

fYIsXEi.jpg

Here's my rotation, sorted by priority. :3 I feel like at this point my Ike is better than my Falco, but I still love the bird more thanks to my Star Fox bias. Also, made sure to include Gunner <3

TWILT

Banned
Holy christ it's impossible to play in this lag

Let's do one more; if it continues, we'll try again some other time.

TWILT

Banned
Yeah, I'll have to pass this time. Lag jitters are getting to me; we'll have to try again some other time, sorry. :/

Oidisco

This is kinda unplayable. I'll do one more and see how it goes

I was having lag issues playing Splatoon, so it's possible it's on my end

Top Bottom