• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Beef I need your help figuring out Fox vs. Villager. Feels like reflecting is useless because he can just pocket and Villager has no need to approach because he can hit from afar just fine, and approaching with Fox is like trying to cross a minefield in the middle of a shootout. :/ Then there's actually killing the bastard, rarely do I get close enough to land any kill moves aside from bair when they jump or regrab the ledge.

Any tips?

Beef I need your help figuring out Fox vs. Villager. Feels like reflecting is useless because he can just pocket and Villager has no need to approach because he can hit from afar just fine, and approaching with Fox is like trying to cross a minefield in the middle of a shootout. :/ Then there's actually killing the bastard, rarely do I get close enough to land any kill moves aside from bair when they jump or regrab the ledge.

Any tips?
Don't let Villager breathe. Block, don't reflect, the slingshots. As for KOing, go for the ceiling and not the sides. Balloon Trip did get nerfed (its like ROB's jet now, it needs time to recharge), but it still needs to be respected.

Wow I made a Sonic player ragequit in FG. well getting them to 80% in the first 25 seconds without getting hit with my Zelda scared him lol.

Oidisco

I'm seriously loving Roy. I'm still having a little trouble using him because of how much I've used Marth recently, but I'm getting there. I've kinda pushed ZSS aside for now because I'm fully focused on mah Golden Boy Roy.
Anyone up for a few matches?

I'll play in about 10 minutes if you don't mind waiting.
Just realised how long ago you asked, well hopefully you still want to play!

I'm seriously loving Roy. I'm still having a little trouble using him because of how much I've used Marth recently, but I'm getting there. I've kinda pushed ZSS aside for now because I'm fully focused on mah Golden Boy Roy.

I'll play in about 10 minutes if you don't mind waiting.
Just realised how long ago you asked, well hopefully you still want to play!

Well, I have to make a quick errand so probably be back in 20 mins if no one else starts playing.

JulianImp

I'll be right back

I need to go think about my life. GGs

Good games. Don't get discouraged, but I'd say you need to focus more on knowing when you're likely to get away with certain moves and when you should use safer ones, otherwise you'll get punished badly for them. Trying things such as back slash, shadow sneak or blazer by themselves is risky since you open yourself up for a while after the attack, so opponents can just avoid it and punish you for the unsafe move.

Basically, those moves can be good, but they won't be if you pull them off too often or in predictable ways, and some moves allow you to get away with misusing them a bit more than others. For example, Shulk's neutral aerial is great because it covers a wide area around him, deals decent damage and has low recovery if you happen hit the ground during the attack, and Greninja's water shurikens are great for harassing opponents, so you should get used to throwing them out at different charges to mix things up and keep opponents guessing.

I would be up for a 2v2.

Maybe we could play some 1v1s now? Or maybe two more people could join us for some 2v2s.

Good games. Don't get discouraged, but I'd say you need to focus more on knowing when you're likely to get away with certain moves and when you should use safer ones, otherwise you'll get punished badly for them. Trying things such as back slash, shadow sneak or blazer by themselves is risky since you open yourself up for a while after the attack, so opponents can just avoid it and punish you for the unsafe move.

Basically, those moves can be good, but they won't be if you pull them off too often or in predictable ways, and some moves allow you to get away with misusing them a bit more than others. For example, Shulk's neutral aerial is great because it covers a wide area around him, deals decent damage and has low recovery if you happen hit the ground during the attack, and Greninja's water shurikens are great for harassing opponents, so you should get used to throwing them out at different charges to mix things up and keep opponents guessing.

Maybe we could play some 1v1s now? Or maybe two more people could join us for some 2v2s.

Alright. Thread seems dead so I doubt 2v2 will happen, though.

GG's. Getting late and need to sleep soon. Was hoping to at least get better results in figuring out in how to punish roy's recovery off stage. Probably spent more time just trying to knock you off hard then actually trying for a stage kill. And Ike is quite different post patch, havn't faced one till now.

Oidisco

One of the big things that gave me an edge was I quickly realised you would air-dodge pretty much everytime I jumped towards you when you were trying to land, even when you were close to the ground. It let me take advantage of the air-dodge landing lag, and punish you with a sweetspot f-smash, which is stupid strong! You tended to do a lot better when you landed with an aerial, since I found it harder to punish.

Something I often do as Zelda when trying to land is make my opponent think I'm about to land in one spot, and then at the last moment teleport to the other side of the stage. Usually it works and allows me to land safely without having to commit to anything right on top of my opponent. Ofocurse they can still hit me just as I start teleporting, but that doesn't happen too often

One of the big things that gave me an edge was I quickly realised you would air-dodge pretty much everytime I jumped towards you when you were trying to land, even when you were close to the ground. It let me take advantage of the air-dodge landing lag, and punish you with a sweetspot f-smash, which is stupid strong! You tended to do a lot better when you landed with an aerial, since I found it harder to punish.

Something I often do as Zelda when trying to land is make my opponent think I'm about to land in one spot, and then at the last moment teleport to the other side of the stage. Usually it works and allows me to land safely without having to commit to anything right on top of my opponent. Ofocurse they can still hit me just as I start teleporting, but that doesn't happen too often

Yeah I know I was being predictable, it was very much an experimentation run. For the most part I've gotten some decent info from the matches but sadly not the one I was gunning for. Sadly right when I gotten some info that I wanted I wasn't able to actually test it lol.

JulianImp

Where is Roy's lag?

In our match.
Kappa

No, seriously. He lags, erm... when I use forward B? After missing a counter?

Nair gives some landing lag (doesn't autocancel), fair does end right before a short hop, so I can double jump out of shfairs and do some nasty stuff (if I ever manage to pull it off regularily), and fsmash appears to not be easily punishable on block. Not even standard B lags (it does have high warm-up time, but almost no cooldown).

JulianImp

You were the one who was camping...

You've got to fear Roy's awesome mechakoopas.

Seriously, there was no way I'd voluntarily walk onto the two small platforms next to the abyss with a ground-based character such as Roy. I just staid in the center of the stage, because going to the sides would've also meant you could get some free custom neutral B kills.

GGs. I am terrible against Roy. I don't see why he is so much better than all the other FE characters. I also don't see why DL64 is a legal stage. That stage should be as legal as DK64 (not legal).

JulianImp

Good games. Ryu looks really dangerous, but when I played him I kept messing my inputs up and couldn't get used enough to his multiple jabs and tilts, so I kind of ended up dropping him. It's kind of funny how most of his moves have overly exaggerated hitstun for their knockback, though.

You should try recovering high using tatsus, even if it's just with the B version of the move.

Good games. Ryu looks really dangerous, but when I played him I kept messing my inputs up and couldn't get used enough to his multiple jabs and tilts, so I kind of ended up dropping him. It's kind of funny how most of his moves have overly exaggerated hitstun for their knockback, though.

You should try recovering high using tatsus, even if it's just with the B version of the move.

I am not used to it either. I try to do a weak utilt or dtilt into a strong Shoryuken, but I either do it too slow or I get a Hadoken. It seems like recovering high with a Tatsumaki would be really easy to punish.

prenote: I'm terrible at anything at this game

help me out, please.

I'm ryu, opponent lucas. lucas will PK Fire, then PK freeze, (repeat) then up+A smash if close. what do I do against this?

to get close, I run a lot, but my only choices are up+a smash or the running move, a jump kick attack. what else can I do while getting close? should I even be running to get close in the first place?

prenote: I'm terrible at anything at this game

help me out, please.

I'm ryu, opponent lucas. lucas will PK Fire, then PK freeze, (repeat) then up+A smash if close. what do I do against this?

to get close, I run a lot, but my only choices are up+a smash or the running move, a jump kick attack. what else can I do while getting close? should I even be running to get close in the first place?

If your opponent is doing something predictable then bait them to keep doing it. You don't have to commit to every approach. If you can get them into a predictable pattern them you can counter that predictable pattern.

JulianImp

I am not used to it either. I try to do a weak utilt or dtilt into a strong Shoryuken, but I either do it too slow or I get a Hadoken. It seems like recovering high with a Tatsumaki would be really easy to punish.

It might be, but as long as you keep mixing things up it's a nice tool to have. Doing it right after a jump gives you a lot of extra height, even though I've found that doing it from the ground is too hard for me with the SF motion (I get more air if I do it with forward B, since it comes out as soon as Ryu begins to jump).

If you want, we could play a couple of lab matches to try out tatsus in different situations and see how useful they can be. We could also try and see just how much value we can get out of crumples.

Also, I really like how you can even FADC in the air. It looks like a really good option for Ryu, both for fake outs and for tanking the first hit with the FA and moving in for a punish afterwards.

On an unrelated topic, I think I didn't get to play against your Luigi at all using Roy, did I (maybe for a match, I think)? Using the character you're the most comfortable of would probably allow you to focus not on trying stuff out, but rather on noticing patterns and things you could exploit from Roy players.

I also hate it when I get a handicap simply be virtue of catching people off-guard with my characters. While I do get that they just aren't used to my options and all, I feel like winning like that isn't all that great.

Top Bottom