• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Glad to see so much new blood in this thread.

I got 5th at locals today
with Bowser. :-(

Mewtwo
------
Usmash
initial hitbox
angle 95 -> 100
size 6.2 -> 3.0
x 0.0 -> -6.0
This is the only Mewtwo change I see, Thulius.

I don't know what any of this means, but I am guessing the size being cut in half is bad.

FSLink

Banned
They play really differently, though.

I'm waiting for Shamrock and any competitive players to give some input, but Lucas is looking uncertain. He's unsafe, has no outstanding moves, and struggles against both fast characters and projectile characters. They just kind of threw him in here like it would be good enough, and I don't know if it is.

His PK Fire clashes with most projectiles, and his jab + air tether are pretty quick.

I feel like they intentionally designed him to have some really strong laggy moves, and the tether grab and fast aerial movement are supposed to condition the opponent to getting hit by one of those or getting thrown off stage to bair/dair meteors. Unlike Ness, Lucas can go off stage very deep and go for these more often.

As far as if this will be effective against good opponents? Not sure, his tether grab has okay range, a little quicker than some other tethers but with smaller range, but his pivot grab is damn slow. His aerial follow ups are also not as reliable as I'd want them to.

I feel he's underwhelming but I don't think he's terrible.

Piccoro

Hi!
If anybody from EU wants to play at evening/night please add me! I would love to play in friend lobbies, I'm always playing randoms... :/

NNID: PiccoroDaimaoh

Like I said, they tried really damn hard to make him average, and considering how goddamn good they made Roy, that's not good. He has no outstanding strengths or moves to really be afraid of.

From my limited time playing Lucas, he is definitely going to have a harder time KOing than say, Ness. You really have to set up the player with a bit of mind games and strategy to land a good kill move. That being said, which characters are you having trouble with specifically? Are you using your tether to attack and approach? Are you spacing with pkfire? Are you reflecting back projectiles with his fsmash?

edit: FSLink, Maui is goddamn expensive at this resort! Did the Road to Hana today though. Awesome stuff.

From my limited time playing Lucas, he is definitely going to have a harder time KOing than say, Ness. You really have to set up the player with a bit of mind games and strategy to land a good kill move. That being said, which characters are you having trouble with specifically? Are you using your tether to attack and approach? Are you spacing with pkfire? Are you reflecting back projectiles with his fsmash?

edit: FSLink, Maui is goddamn expensive at this resort! Did the Road to Hana today though. Awesome stuff.

I've only played Captain Falcon once but it seemed rough. Yoshi matchup is abysmal.
Roy is sort of a problem too. Range and KO power just roll straight through Lucas, plus you need to delay short hop PK Fire because his run has a low profile.

GGs man , it was fun playing and yeah we should play again some time.

Your sheik was pretty tough , I didn't know what to do with Mewtwo half the time..

Just throw them shadowballs and up smashes =( Incredible how early Mewtwo kills in this game. You were holding your own so well, I was scared at every move lol.

I really need to figure how the new DI works. I'm getting early killed left and right because I'm doing the old smash 4 DI.

Thulius

This is the only Mewtwo change I see, Thulius.

I don't know what any of this means, but I am guessing the size being cut in half is bad.

Yeah I don't really get it either. Haven't played a ton of Mewtwo post-patch, but it felt like it might be a little easier to catch air dodge landings with Usmash? Possibly placebo if the initial hitbox is the only one that changed, but it didn't seem any smaller. I dunno.

Funny how they fixed so many of the busted jabs and did nothing to Mewtwo's.

Robiin

I have such a hard time picking a character now. Roy is incredible, and so much fun to play. Ryu is fun as well, and playing for glory with him is so easy because most people don't edgeguard. Captain Falcon is still in my rotation because he's still fun. My Fox is becoming worse since I don't play him now unless I really need a win against a good opponent. Pikachu I haven't played in ages, but I just saw the games from Shockwave 33 and witness ESAM wrecking everyone which made me hyped up to play and learn more Pika stuff.

Highly recommended if you haven't seen:

https://youtu.be/Ra5zwiy8W74
https://youtu.be/ZxSHzKip7m0

Anyway, this weekend I'm free from work, while the girlfriend works afternoons. Means I can play all weekend, which will be fun. I hope some of you are available to play!

TWILT

Banned
I think Ryu might be a really good counter for Sonic. Fought against a really campy one last night (it almost went to sudden death), and I won most of the matches. Hadouken seems a good tool for keeping Sonic out and hitting him out of Spin Dash and Ryu's move generally have a lot of priority and he can kill Sonic earlier than Sonic can do to Ryu. I could be horribly wrong and the other guy may not have known the MU, but it feels nice to be able to throw a fireball in that stupid hedgehog's face and punch him to oblivion. :p Might be easier on stages with platforms too.

Thanks for this. Was practicing QA ledge cancelling and found it a bit harder to adjust than I thought haha. Also, I totally hope Dreamland's legal next ranbat season.

Input Shoryuken has invincibility and it's not easy to punish Having one of the best moves to punish Sonic on reaction as well as incredibly strong and long-lasting aerials should probably make him one of the best picks against Sanic. I might start taking Ryu seriously, but have to learn Lucas first.

I guess it's early, but is anyone available to play?

You must be excited, Snacks. Falco got lots of buffs and now Lucas is available.

Yeah I don't really get it either. Haven't played a ton of Mewtwo post-patch, but it felt like it might be a little easier to catch air dodge landings with Usmash? Possibly placebo if the initial hitbox is the only one that changed, but it didn't seem any smaller. I dunno.

Funny how they fixed so many of the busted jabs and did nothing to Mewtwo's.
Yeah, I would love that jab buff Diddy got.

I guess it's time for a break anyway. Good games.

-They did sort of a number on Diddy again, but his jab actually combos now.
-Charizard grab was already really good, now it combos and KO's. Probably going to be a big deal in addition to his customs.
-Ike is overall more solid and less jab whiffs.
-I'm not good enough at Samus but up smash being more consistent is neat.
-Why the hell are Sheik's needles not nerfed?

I guess it's time for a break anyway. Good games.

-They did sort of a number on Diddy again, but his jab actually combos now.
-Charizard grab was already really good, now it combos and KO's. Probably going to be a big deal in addition to his customs.
-Ike is overall more solid and less jab whiffs.
-I'm not good enough at Samus but up smash being more consistent is neat.
-Why the hell are Sheik's needles not nerfed?
An explanation I saw on Smashboards was that ZeRo went to Japan and destroyed with Diddy recently, but he never used Sheik. ZeRo is on another level in this game, so Sakurai probably thought "holy crap, Diddy is way too good", but he didn't see ZeRo use his Sheik. It'll just be a matter of time before more Sheik players emerge with the Diddy, Sonic, and Rosalina nerfs, and then we'll get changes.

I learned you can dash cancel out of focus attacks without punching. That's cool I guess. I'm falling they long range projectile me I focus the projectile and dash forward onto the ledge.

Any worth in investing time to try using input shoyruken to beat people coming horizontally? feels like they'd have to be really close or doing a dash attack for it to be worth it. like ness/lucas bat/twig or any sword move a shoryuken would be pointless and not connect, right?

Piccoro

Alright.

You should work on landing safely and not using Captain Falcon's side b too much.
Yes, thank you for your advice! I really need to practice more...
Yes I noticed that Falcon's SideB and air DownB are super unsafe but I was trying to get the hang of Falcon.
I'm still very green in Smash(only played Brawl casually), so any advice is appreciated! :)

An explanation I saw on Smashboards was that ZeRo went to Japan and destroyed with Diddy recently, but he never used Sheik. ZeRo is on another level in this game, so Sakurai probably thought "holy crap, Diddy is way too good", but he didn't see ZeRo use his Sheik. It'll just be a matter of time before more Sheik players emerge with the Diddy, Sonic, and Rosalina nerfs, and then we'll get changes.

What I like is that we have seen multiple balance patches now. Shows they are committed and people who main lower tiers can continue to hold hope

What I like is that we have seen multiple balance patches now. Shows they are committed and people who main lower tiers can continue to hold hope
That's how I feel, though I think I need to focus on Bowser for a while. My Mewtwo keeps getting trashed at locals for some reason, while my Bowser does really well, and he's extremely out of practice. They aren't even using customs, so it's extra weird to me.

I've tested my ethernet adapter on a different network and it's still not recognized, so it's clearly not supported by the Wii U. Returning that POS asap and have ordered another one from amazon UK. It was a bit more expensive but at least it should work.

That's how I feel, though I think I need to focus on Bowser for a while. My Mewtwo keeps getting trashed at locals for some reason, while my Bowser does really well, and he's extremely out of practice. They aren't even using customs, so it's extra weird to me.

I liked your character analysis of Ness the other day. It's how I hope they try to balance other characters.

The game is really close to where it should be, but they just still won't nerf Sheik's needles. They have no downside and there's no reason she should be able to outcamp 90% of the cast. Sonic and Rosalina are annoying, but they don't pose the same "literally no bad matchups, counters multiple characters" problem as Sheik does.
At least unless customs become the standard, then we just get a whole new set of imbalances.

I'll play if anyone around is looking.

Huh my R button isn't working.

Is it a black Smash Bros. controller?

I've tested my ethernet adapter on a different network and it's still not recognized, so it's clearly not supported by the Wii U. Returning that POS asap and have ordered another one from amazon UK. It was a bit more expensive but at least it should work.
Good investment!

I liked your character analysis of Ness the other day. It's how I hope they try to balance other characters.
Thank you. There are a few characters that feel really fair but strong to me right now, and Ness is one of them. Going through the roster, I would also list:

Captain Falcon (not a fan of his new nerf)
Mario

Huh...I guess that's it. I think everyone else needs changes in one way or another.

Something is wrong with the R button on those controllers, I really don't like it. I use my 9 year old regular black Gamecube controller instead, but lately it feels like the Y button is getting overly sensitive.

Realizing that they didn't buff Zelda's aerials, and being able to start getting them to land very consistently in FG makes me realize how much better I am at spacing them compared to before.

Some of these matches are becoming painful to watch just on how often some of these hit sweetspot.

Top Bottom