• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Meta Knight is so weird. Like a rushdown character that's actually defensive.

His only approach options are dash attack and dash grab, and while a neat 50/50 it's not something he can rely on all the time. Instead he likes to use be...agressively defensive if that's a way to describe. MK in mid range is legitimately scary. He has so many safe options in that position, options that force a reaction by the opponent into thinking they can punish him but MK has barely any lag in the ground so he can punish any attempt. All his tools complement this. Multi jump, a really potent read move thats pretty much unpunishable and forces reactions, incredible ground mobility, high rewards of punishes and safe normals in the ground, and once he gets the opportunity to counter approach attempts he'll rack up the percentage if not outright kill. He rewards patient play.

Im liking him loads. Ito's Meta Knight in particular is a beauty.

FSLink

Banned
I thought you said last match , sorry about that but I am done for now anyway.

Your Metaknight and Duck hunt were pretty amazing , had me beat pretty easily.

GGs man

GGs! I really like your Wario, Speed Bike is really irritating to deal with using any character. :p

Also noticed you weren't glide tossing the Heavy Bike sometimes, it's a good option to change up the trajectory when you're tossing it around due to having much more HP.

Your Shulk's reads were good too, can't believe I died to you countering utilt at one point. Add more pivot grabs to your game though, speed is one of his best modes but you weren't as threatening in speed vs you in other modes.

DooD1234

Oh no, don't feel bad! If it makes you feel better, ROB was a member of my Brawl trio. I loved chucking shit at people and if it wasn't Diddy or Snake, it was ROB. :3 I miss Snake though, his DACUS was fun and cooking grenades to blow people up was the best....

Just remember that after our first match, I started playing to win. You were not to be underestimated, so pardon if I spammed Gyromite and the Robot Hoo Ha.
Eh, it fine, I'm very inexperience with Rob since almost no one play him compared to Falcon where everyone and their mama plays him For Glory. Those dash up smash kept killing me...

I don't play Rob or fight him much but you could use more practice with gyro and lasers. The ones that I do remember fighting, they use the gyro in really obnoxious ways. Some don't even use them to actually use them to shoot but to place on the ground just to be annoying only to get picked up and thrown.

Too bad about those random lag stutters though.

Meta Knight is so weird. Like a rushdown character that's actually defensive.

His only approach options are dash attack and dash grab, and while a neat 50/50 it's not something he can rely on all the time. Instead he likes to use be...agressively defensive if that's a way to describe. MK in mid range is legitimately scary. He has so many safe options in that position, options that force a reaction by the opponent into thinking they can punish him but MK has barely any lag in the ground so he can punish any attempt. All his tools complement this. Multi jump, a really potent read move thats pretty much unpunishable and forces reactions, incredible ground mobility, high rewards of punishes and safe normals in the ground, and once he gets the opportunity to counter approach attempts he'll rack up the percentage if not outright kill. He rewards patient play.

Im liking him loads. Ito's Meta Knight in particular is a beauty.

Not too weird, a couple characters have to play like that. They're not actually good at approaching but make it look like they are. But Meta Knight is particularly good at it with his specials and multiple jumps.

He got turned into a pretty interesting character, unlike Marth and Falco, rip sweet princes.

Beats

He's not kidding about it being a tough tech to learn but I'm determined to master it and incorporate it. >:D

I have trouble doing it consistently in Melee. I never thought to try it in this game until Zero posted the video, but I'm gonna start working on it too. It's pretty darn useful when it works though.

I have trouble doing it consistently in Melee. I never thought to try it in this game until Zero posted the video, but I'm gonna start working on it too. It's pretty darn useful when it works though.
Who do you use in Melee? I only knew the "hard way" as Zero put it, so I'm trying to figure out the easy way. Could be good for my Mario Bros if I can do it on command. :)

Beats

Who do you use in Melee? I only knew the "hard way" as Zero put it, so I'm trying to figure out the easy way. Could be good for my Mario Bros if I can do it on command. :)

I use Samus. I think ZeRo described the easiest way in his video with moving the stick all the way left or right before you shield and then moving it diagonally downwards to drop down. That's usually how I try to do it too in Melee, but sometimes I get a roll/spotdodge due to misinput. :x

Oh hey, that is my local scene's monthly.

I do think Metaknight could fight at least Sheik and Rosalina 50:50 without customs. Not too sure on Sonic, but I can only imagine he'd have a much better time than Bowser. Metaknight also has a very bait heavy playstyle which would suit you, but unlike Mewtwo and Bowser he can escape much easier from bad situations thanks to multiple jumps + his specials, and he has a great 50/50 game similar to Captain Falcon where you have to guess between a dash attack or a grab.

A DK main I know picked up Metaknight strictly for the Sheik matchup in a non-customs metagame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOge0mkKV7g

He also has a skill ceiling that I don't think I've seen anyone approach with him yet. He has a lot of combo potential even without the footstool tech.

I do think Wolf has a pretty good chance of getting in so you may be in luck!
I think part of the gaming experience is how a character "feels" in terms of the emotional state that character invokes. I like for my character to induce real terror and panic into the opponent. A feeling of helplessness. I feel like Bowser makes people feel that way when I get good reads with him. When Bowser is charging at you from across the screen, I know I find it terror-inducing.

I dont feel like Mewtwo has that effect. It drives me bonkers when people on Smashboards say Mewtwo hits like a heavy, because it is absolutely not true. He hits like your typical character. He has trouble KOing if you play him safe, so you have to take risks on a character that can't take risks. On so many occasions, I have been up a whole stock and lost a match because I need to KO someone. He just has this weird style of play that works well against characters without reflectors, where he forces people into the air due to his excellent ground game and then covers the air with his great aerial spacing game.

Then you get characters like Pikachu, Fox, Sheik, Sonic, and Captain Falcon, and the problem with these characters is Mewtwo just CANT play the ground game well against them. The reason is that they pretty much ignore Shadow Ball. They all ignore Shadow Ball for different reasons: Pikachu teleport attacks behind you. Fox has the best projectile reflector in the game. Sheik can beat Shadow Ball with the superior needles. Sonic can just run under Shadow Ball (lol). Captain Falcon is too fast to pressure.

So, against these characters, Mewtwo has to primarily rely on Dtilt. Except Dtilt isn't as good as it seems, and you can punish Mewtwo between swipes. It has a whole 20 frames of recovery, believe it or not. If the opponent gets in, you eat a lot of damage. If you get a max Dtilt poke, you get 5 damage with no guaranteed follow-up. That isn't a good economic proposition. Mewtwo's Fair is an awful poke, and his Bair basically isn't a poke. His jab has the same startup as Dtilt, and it isn't that good. Jab 2 is incredible, but the transition between Jab 1 and Jab 2 is horrendous, and I get grabbed between them all the time. Mewtwo might as well not have a Pivot Grab - it is truly atrocious. The Pivot Ftilt is solid, but you can't really get pivot space against opponents that are significantly faster than you, and the tilt has a 14 frame startup.

What we have left is Disable and Confusion, both with a lot of recovery, and Mewtwo's complete lack of offensive options. So I end up going for random short hop Nairs against these guys, because it hits a lot against people desperate to get in, and while it isn't safe, it isn't easy to punish, either. Especially if you don't play against Mewtwo a lot.

That is kind of my breakdown of why I think Mewtwo just can't win those Matchups. As sad as it makes me, I think I am going to have to pick up another character, though I will keep playing Mewtwo for matchups that I think are favorable for him.

I think the situation is fixable with frame data and hitbox changes alone, and we will see if we get some changes in the June 14th update. It feels like Sakurai put most of Mewtwo's neutral value into Shadow Ball, but he needs a plethora of safe options to work as the kind of character he is. He can't take risks or go for reads all the time like Bowser can.

Do we have other ROB players here? I could use tips on how to set up Gyromite effectively and I'm too lazy to browse Smashboards right now. :/

Also I don't wanna unlock customs for ROB but I'll have to eventually...

Hey Shamrock, got any Lucas tips for the week where all of SmashGAF plays Lucas? :3

Dunno whats up Snacks. I reset my connection in case it was me so we can try again if you want

Do we have other ROB players here? I could use tips on how to set up Gyromite effectively and I'm too lazy to browse Smashboards right now. :/

Also I don't wanna unlock customs for ROB but I'll have to eventually...

Hey Shamrock, got any Lucas tips for the week where all of SmashGAF plays Lucas? :3

What sucks is I won't be here.

Lucas can really control the stage with his movement, granted that his specials act the same. His PKFire and his PkMagnet can change his momentum significantly. It knocks him back which gives him the advantage of being able to harass while moving away from a counter.

He actually has 4 recovery options. PK2, his tether which is the snake, similar to luigi, he can double jump while using pkfire and shoot way up in the air vertically, and finally, he can hit a pkfire in the opposite direction he wants to go, immedietly hit pk magnet, and he will gain this crazy forward momentum.

Alright FSLink. I am going to give Metaknight a real try.

Dunno whats up Snacks. I reset my connection in case it was me so we can try again if you want

What sucks is I won't be here.

Lucas can really control the stage with his movement, granted that his specials act the same. His PKFire and his PkMagnet can change his momentum significantly. It knocks him back which gives him the advantage of being able to harass while moving away from a counter.

He actually has 4 recovery options. PK2, his tether which is the snake, similar to luigi, he can double jump while using pkfire and shoot way up in the air vertically, and finally, he can hit a pkfire in the opposite direction he wants to go, immedietly hit pk magnet, and he will gain this crazy forward momentum.
Will you be checking GAF? We can test stuff for you. Sorry you have to go to Hawaii. :(

Top Bottom