• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

FSLink

Banned
I doubt some tricks will work since the physics are different between games, but I'm playing Lucas and hoping he has a lot of tricks anyway.

I just hope the PK fire momentum stuff is there still. It really made his zoning feel unique.

[snip]

That is kind of my breakdown of why I think Mewtwo just can't win those Matchups. As sad as it makes me, I think I am going to have to pick up another character, though I will keep playing Mewtwo for matchups that I think are favorable for him.

I think the situation is fixable with frame data and hitbox changes alone, and we will see if we get some changes in the June 14th update. It feels like Sakurai put most of Mewtwo's neutral value into Shadow Ball, but he needs a plethora of safe options to work as the kind of character he is. He can't take risks or go for reads all the time like Bowser can.

Yeah I would agree. I think he has the toolset to win matchups but the inconsistent hitboxes and his light weight makes it risky against the top characters, and those characters have no reason to fear Mewtwo unless they play super recklessly. He really could use more moves safe on block at the very least if they're going to keep him at that pathetic weight.

Cronox

Banned
Man I was really confused for a moment cause the last post was 4pm but its really late and stuff so I was wondering why the thread went dead... forgot I'm in a different time zone. I'm tired...

Anyway I hope to see a lot of analysis about Lucas from you guys, if I can't play him I at least want to know how competitive he is and what tricks people are finding with him.

JulianImp

We are still playing. >.>

Oh, I just saw no posts for half an hour before I posted, so I guessed nobody was playing anymore. I can wait.

Regarding Lucas, I don't believe it'll be possible to judge him immediately upon release. Remember how Zelda was supposed to be the bee's knees soon after Melee's launch? That's what I mean.

Hey Karst, if you're looking for a new character how about Dark Pit?

Now hear me out, he's not a real villain but he's not a real good guy either. More of a neutral dude who does whatever he wants and I don't know what you look for in a character playstyle-wise, but he has a good horizontal projectile and decent reach.

If not him, maybe Mr. Game and Watch? That dude is the closest thing to a demonic creature from another dimension in Smash.

Being mostly serious here.

Getting late now, so that'll be my last for today.

GGs Karst.
GGs. Just started Metaknight and Bowser Jr.

Now hear me out, he's not a real villain but he's not a real good guy either. More of a neutral dude who does whatever he wants and I don't know what you look for in a character playstyle-wise, but he has a good horizontal projectile and decent reach.

If not him, maybe Mr. Game and Watch? That dude is the closest thing to a demonic creature from another dimension in Smash.

G&W is one of the few characters I just don't like being in this game. :p

I like Dark Pit, but I can never make him work. I need a character that can maintain total control over the match in an aggressive way. I don't do well with hit and run or bait and punish character styles.

Oh, I just saw no posts for half an hour before I posted, so I guessed nobody was playing anymore. I can wait.

Regarding Lucas, I don't believe it'll be possible to judge him immediately upon release. Remember how Zelda was supposed to be the bee's knees soon after Melee's launch? That's what I mean.
Join up!

JulianImp

I'd like to pretend SSE never happened, though. Why oh why did they have to end up using all those crappy, generic-looking enemies rather than real Nintendo mooks like they ended up doing in Smash 4's smash run?

I am kind of digging Bowser Jr. If he doesn't work out, I will just stick with Bowser and Mewtwo. I could even just do Bowser 100% of the time, but my locals banned customs. :/

Highwind

Wish there was more of a scene in London. Can't seem to find a local.

Considering dropping Falcon for awhile and just focusing on Fox, Mario and Link.

That Kappa looks more like a DansGame to me.
ilvYqyq9sPXwD.gif

http://i.minus.com/ilvYqyq9sPXwD.gif
edit: god dammit why do my gifs dissapear..

Beats

What's a good custom setup for crazy orders? Do any of the challenge board clears unlock any useful badges?

I really am fine with Bowser/Mewtwo, guys. I am not quitting or anything. Bowser 90% of the time, Mewtwo 5%, turn off the game if someone picks Sheik.

Karst did you try Ganon? He's not the best, but he's not bad either. I think Gungnir makes a pretty good case on how terrifying this character can be.
He has worse problems than Bowser in the same Matchups. Especially without customs.

So, Yoshi?
You are the true villain of SmashGAF

Is the lag bearable for you, Karst? I('d say it's quite serviceable now.
Feels fine to me.

Karst if you switch to Yoshi you're dead to me.
I would be dead to myself.

He's already dead to me because he dropped Palutena, kappa..
I got tired of waiting for Super Speed to come up and not having tilts. :p Too hard to adjust to after Bowser.

I love your Bowser. It's a great way to realize when I'm playing too unsafely because I get wrecked when I do.
"Thank you for showing me how unsafe I am."
*picks Sonic*

:p

I kid. Thank you for the compliment.

Crayolan

I can confirm G&W is trash, no one should play him.

Less people that know what he does the better.

What's a good custom setup for crazy orders? Do any of the challenge board clears unlock any useful badges?

I think Cruel Smash 8 kills with Lucina unlocks a Vampire badge (gives you life-steal on hit), which is amazing for Crazy Orders. Also use the one which gives you temporary invincibility provided you land the first hit. For the 3rd one, some good choices would be the strongest attack up badge you have, a hp regen badge, or the badge that starts you with a home-run bat every round. The AI is awful so they'll walk right into your bat pretty often.

JulianImp

I'm cycling though my mains. Seems like Luigi has the highest chances of not sucking against you.

Back to Pac-Man, since I really want to see if I can get better with him, and that isn't something I'll achieve if I just run to my mains. At least I know I can best you (except for the part of getting Halber'd).

Beats

I think Cruel Smash 8 kills with Lucina unlocks a Vampire badge (gives you life-steal on hit), which is amazing for Crazy Orders. Also use the one which gives you temporary invincibility provided you land the first hit. For the 3rd one, some good choices would be the strongest attack up badge you have, a hp regen badge, or the badge that starts you with a home-run bat every round. The AI is awful so they'll walk right into your bat pretty often.

dang I haven't done that challenge. Sounds tough, but I'll give it a shot. The homerun bat idea sounds good. My current setup is just lots of attack with a critical hit badge.

JulianImp

I was wondering if your grab would land us on the meteor trampoline, and what would happen then. I didn't expect it to bury both of us, though... probably should've spammed downB or something to get you.

Edit: Last game for me.

I was wondering if your grab would land us on the meteor trampoline, and what would happen then. I didn't expect it to bury both of us, though... probably should've spammed downB or something to get you.

Edit: Last game for me.
How does the custom trampoline work?

How should I recover from you ledge guarding with the ice balls? First time dealing with that.

Thulius

Anyone looking to play? Would like to turn customs off so I can actually pick random but if you want them on that's fine too.

JulianImp

How does the custom trampoline work?

How should I recover from you ledge guarding with the ice balls? First time dealing with that.

Meteor trampoline buries on the ground and spikes in the air if you land on it when it's red, since it breaks (just like in Mappy!). The downside is that, unlike the normal trampoline, succesive bounces don't make me go higher, so if I don't make it in the first jump I'm as good as dead.

I don't know exactly how would Bowser go around fighting ice balls. I picked them especially because they get through Bowser's tough guy ability, and I never though they'd be such a good ledge pressure tool. Characters with fast aerials that have long hitboxes can stuff them and hit me through them, but I don't think you've got any of those (bair maybe, but you can't use that from the ledge).

If you wanted, we could experiment with that situation a bit some other time to see if we find any tools Bowser can use to reliably get out of it.

Even though I got demolished most of the time, I'm happy that by the end I managed to play decently with Pac-Man. I've got to say Bowser's really scary, and I can't help but shudder when I think what'd happen if you were running dash claw...

Meteor trampoline buries on the ground and spikes in the air if you land on it when it's red, since it breaks (just like in Mappy!). The downside is that, unlike the normal trampoline, succesive bounces don't make me go higher, so if I don't make it in the first jump I'm as good as dead.

I don't know exactly how would Bowser go around fighting ice balls. I picked them especially because they get through Bowser's tough guy ability, and I never though they'd be such a good ledge pressure tool. Characters with fast aerials that have long hitboxes can stuff them and hit me through them, but I don't think you've got any of those (bair maybe, but you can't use that from the ledge).

If you wanted, we could experiment with that situation a bit some other time to see if we find any tools Bowser can use to reliably get out of it.

Even though I got demolished most of the time, I'm happy that by the end I managed to play decently with Pac-Man. I've got to say Bowser's really scary, and I can't help but shudder when I think what'd happen if you were running dash claw...
That doesn't seem like a good custom choice, then.

I would love to experiment vs. Ice balls sometime.

No one ever calls Mewtwo scary. :(

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Hard to be scary when he can die to stupid shit or randomly SD if Teleport rubs the stage the wrong way.

On the other hand Bowser can be scary simply by existing. Something Mewtwo will never have.

--------------

I do love Meta Knight when there isn't any lag.

I should get back into playing Ganon some more though. If only Flame Choke was untechable.

JulianImp

That doesn't seem like a good custom choice, then.

I would love to experiment vs. Ice balls sometime.

It isn't bad at all. I can already cover lots of range with forward B, and having to wait for several bounces with the normal trampoline is just asking to be gimped to hell and back because of the low priority and how long it takes to bounce three times. In return, I gain a potential kill setup that is very much appreciated for Pac-Man since he has so few reliable kill moves.

90% of the time I kill with smash attacks, loose hydrants or nairs/bairs really close to the blast zones (with the occasional key), which is why I've seen many top level Pac-Man players start using bells at high percentages to get enough time to score a clean smash attack (mostly usmash).

And I can't call your Mewtwo scary if you don't use it against me. <_<

jnWake

Do we have other ROB players here? I could use tips on how to set up Gyromite effectively and I'm too lazy to browse Smashboards right now. :/

Also I don't wanna unlock customs for ROB but I'll have to eventually...

Hey Shamrock, got any Lucas tips for the week where all of SmashGAF plays Lucas? :3

I use ROB as a secondary but I don't know if I'm very good with him haha. I had some decently even matches with Oidisco and have beat some people with him too but I feel I can easily get shut down. I haven't tried customs with him much though.

Beats

dang, some peeps don't really like the OTs for this game huh.

I mean MaverickHunterAsh had that character census going and posted results regularly and people talked about that so it's not like talk besides match banter/discussions, or in depth character gameplay/mechanical discussions is unwelcome. I mean everyone here seems pretty friendly enough and not unwilling to talk about other stuff. whatever I guess.

Top Bottom