• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

We can try Wednesday after I get off work, I should be home at 6pm mountain time.

That works I think

Well part of it is Tipsters incredibly safe playstyle. He will not approach unless his blade hits you the way he wants, so if you don't have a character that can get past blade and still be offensive, it's essentially a stalemate, until you get so bored or frustrated you try to force something against mega, lol.

lol yeah sounds about right

Beats

Nice FGW interview CRQ. Not really a fan of the rage mechanic in Sm4sh either for similar reasons. It also kinda messes with percent specific stuff since you have to take into account where you're at percent wise along with the opponent's percent which wouldn't be too bad if it worked in training mode.

Mentioning Yukari from the Touhou fighting games as your favorite fighting game character made me go look back on match footage of the games. They were pretty cool and unique. It's just unfortunate that weird stuff like the weather system got added in later iterations. Hopefully Playism has considered bringing them over along with the other Touhou stuff they're doing. I'd probably play them again if they came out on Steam.

Neki

GGs Cyberman, match up experience against Sonic is always great for me. I feel like I did much better against him than last time, but still a relatively hard match up for me still. The Metaknight was pretty good, though do you normally use his up b that much? lol.

GGs Cyberman, match up experience against Sonic is always great for me. I feel like I did much better against him than last time, but still a relatively hard match up for me still. The Metaknight was pretty good, though do you normally use his up b that much? lol.
GGs. Yeah, I feel like the matchup is even and can go either way. Its one of the only matchups that I really know well in the game. I would try to use jabs a bit less as I was able to predict them a lot and punish with Homing Attack. But, it did catch me a lot. Glad that Homing Attack doesn't attack Luma anymore like it used to. :p You probably won't find a Sonic that plays like me since most of them play defensive, bleh.

And, thanks. He's a secondary that I'm working on for a few matchups that I have problems with Sonic. I sometimes use up b a bit too much if I can't get the kill, haha.

Neki

GGs. Yeah, I feel like the matchup is even and can go either way. Its one of the only matchups that I really know well in the game. I would try to use jabs a bit less as I was able to predict them a lot and punish with Homing Attack. But, it did catch me a lot. Glad that Homing Attack doesn't attack Luma anymore like it used to. :p You probably won't find a Sonic that plays like me since most of them play defensive, bleh.

And, thanks. He's a secondary that I'm working on for a few matchups that I have problems with Sonic. I sometimes use up b a bit too much if I can't get the kill, haha.

Jab is the only thing that reliably stuffs your approach on the ground. Down tilt also works but that requires a lot more precision. The thing is eating a homing attack is 8~10% damage and it doesn't really let you get any follow ups on me, but eating a spin dash is at least 15% damage plus an air mix up. The safest options are either jab or shield, and I feel like I need to be pro-active in the match-up so I'm not always being pushed to the ledge. I still need to learn how to anti-air better too. I also find it weird shooting star bit sometimes hit you out of spin dash and other times you go straight through it, does one of your specials make you go through it?

Jab is the only thing that reliably stuffs your approach on the ground. Down tilt also works but that requires a lot more precision. The thing is eating a homing attack is 8~10% damage and it doesn't really let you get any follow ups on me, but eating a spin dash is at least 15% damage plus an air mix up. The safest options are either jab or shield, and I feel like I need to be pro-active in the match-up so I'm not always being pushed to the ledge. I still need to learn how to anti-air better too. I also find it weird shooting star bit sometimes hit you out of spin dash and other times you go straight through it, does one of your specials make you go through it?
Not that I know of. I believe Shooting Star hits me or collides with me and I take no damage. I usually try to power shield it most of the time.

And yeah, when I play against Dabuz, he anti-airs me a bunch with upsmash while I'm coming down. It really limits my options against him.

You can't just not spam lemons. Megaman is literally lemons. Without lemons he's nothing.
Have you played Tipster? Top 10 player here, and he never uses lemons.

Never. :p

Roy has more attention because Lucas had been announced a long time before coming out.
Ryu has kind of fallen off, too. I think it's partially that everyone is happily surprised that Roy is so different, and also that Roy is really easy to win with. Lucas takes a ton of effort and thought to play compared to Roy. Actually, Ryu takes a lot of effort to play compared to Roy, too.

People just love easy wins. :p

Nice FGW interview CRQ. Not really a fan of the rage mechanic in Sm4sh either for similar reasons. It also kinda messes with percent specific stuff since you have to take into account where you're at percent wise along with the opponent's percent which wouldn't be too bad if it worked in training mode.

Mentioning Yukari from the Touhou fighting games as your favorite fighting game character made me go look back on match footage of the games. They were pretty cool and unique. It's just unfortunate that weird stuff like the weather system got added in later iterations. Hopefully Playism has considered bringing them over along with the other Touhou stuff they're doing. I'd probably play them again if they came out on Steam.
Thanks!

The weather in SWR and Soku takes about half an hour to get used to, and from there it's just remembering the effects. I think it makes for fun matches like Smash on stages like Halberd and Delfino with their hazards. If anything, I hope they return to ground-based combat since the new flight stuff hasn't grabbed me as much.

And Yukari is best 2hu
You guys seem so bitter and I don't even spam lemons

<3
You know I love playing your Mega Man, but Danger Wrap has got to go and I will gladly sacrifice my characters' customs for that to happen. :p

Cyberman, one thing I love about fighting your Sonic is that you use his full 100% toolset, and you have a lot of great fundamentals in your approach. I've never played another Sonic that uses pivot grabs as a regular setup, for example, even though Sonic is probably the best character to be using offensive pivot grabs. If more Sonic players were like you, I would respect the character more,
but would still want more nerfs for him. :p

Tipster I love playing you. You are one of the most mentally taxing players to play on here.
That's exactly why I have to be rested enough to face you and Tipster.

Cyberman, one thing I love about fighting your Sonic is that you use his full 100% toolset, and you have a lot of great fundamentals in your approach. I've never played another Sonic that uses pivot grabs as a regular setup, for example, even though Sonic is probably the best character to be using offensive pivot grabs. If more Sonic players were like you, I would respect the character more,

I hear that. I need to be mentally in the right frame of mind to play certain people on here. Speaking of, I want to play you some more later. I think my Lucas has already developed by leaps and bounds from yesterday.

I am quite happy with my selection of characters now.

Ness
Mii Brawler
Link
Pac Man
Wario
Lucas
Wii Fit Trainer
Toon Link

Still have to try out Ryu and I may mix in Mewtwo eventually

Am I not MLG enough for you, Karst? D: Then I want some 1v1 action here and now, accepting any challengers!

Am I not MLG enough for you, Karst? D: Then I want some 1v1 action here and now, accepting any challengers!
Hop on and make a room.

Let's rock.

I hear that. I need to be mentally in the right frame of mind to play certain people on here. Speaking of, I want to play you some more later. I think my Lucas has already developed by leaps and bounds from yesterday.

I am quite happy with my selection of characters now.

Ness
Mii Brawler
Link
Pac Man
Wario
Lucas
Wii Fit Trainer
Toon Link

Still have to try out Ryu and I may mix in Mewtwo eventually
I don't think I've ever fought your Toon Link. I hate fighting him and Link. Don't know how to handle bombs. :-/

I dunno if we've actually played each other outside of doubles. If so then it wasn't for very long!

Looking to play in 15-20 mins if anyone's interested.
Tipster, show him how to make lemonade out of metal blade.

Hop on and make a room.

Let's rock.

I don't think I've ever fought your Toon Link. I hate fighting him and Link. Don't know how to handle bombs. :-/

Tipster, show him how to make lemonade out of metal blade.

I rarely play as him but I good enough to throw him in there. I am curious to how you would rank my characters from best to worst. I have an idea but who knows.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Probably dropping Mewtwo in favor of Roy. I want to make him work but he has too many weaknesses IMO. And Teleport SD's suck.

Meanwhile Roy can ride a stage with his Blazer like a Escalator.

Thulius

GGs Julian. I know people were talking up Roy's fsmash but I'm pretty salty that you just killed me with an uncharged one at like 55% that ain't right.

Still looking to play if anyone else is around.

JulianImp

GGs Julian. I know people were talking up Roy's fsmash but I'm pretty salty that you just killed me with an uncharged one at like 55% that ain't right.

Yeah, it's really powerful for the low recovery time it has, IMO. Still, I loved how my brain would instantly panic the moment I saw the fastfall visual effect when I was trying to ledgeguard you. Going offstage to chase after opponents is really scary for Roy, as you could obviously see in our last match where I misjudged my recovery distance and got a free SD.

Pac-Man was a lot worse against Mewtwo not only because of my rustiness, but also because of Metwo's really long attack range that kind of owns Pac-Mans's wimpy range and lack of kill options. I loved when I got the read across the stage and managed to get a key kill, but man, were those matches rough.

GGs Karst, I don't know why but I stopped having fun a long while back. Winning didn't feel like fun, losing wasn't fun, playing my mains wasn't fun, doing anything wasn't fun. Nothing felt fun and I hate it.

That last match especially wasn't fun when I realized too late how I was supposed to play the matchup and since I was already at such a percent disadvantage the whole thing was lost and was just pointless.

Not fun, nothing is fun but I don't know why. :( Smash is my favorite game, but it literally felt like I was playing solely to give you busy work and nothing else, and that isn't fun. I can't play like this, but I feel like a break won't help at all. I need a way to sort this out or something...

GGs though, you're like the only Mewtwo I play on a regular basis so it's tough to learn what does and doesn't work.

Edit: Also, I guess currently I'm just not MLG enough for you. :p

GGs Karst, I don't know why but I stopped having fun a long while back. Winning didn't feel like fun, losing wasn't fun, playing my mains wasn't fun, doing anything wasn't fun. Nothing felt fun and I hate it.

That last match especially wasn't fun when I realized too late how I was supposed to play the matchup and since I was already at such a percent disadvantage the whole thing was lost and was just pointless.

Not fun, nothing is fun but I don't know why. :( Smash is my favorite game, but it literally felt like I was playing solely to give you busy work and nothing else, and that isn't fun. I can't play like this, but I feel like a break won't help at all. I need a way to sort this out or something...

GGs though, you're like the only Mewtwo I play on a regular basis so it's tough to learn what does and doesn't work.

Edit: Also, I guess currently I'm just not MLG enough for you. :p

Learn a new character! Make it a fresh start and then come back to your mains

Top Bottom