• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

GGs CRQ. You wanted to know what I think of your play:

I am reflecting on our matches, and it seemed like Bowser did worse than Mewtwo. Usually, I have the opposite experience. I think a large part of that is you like to run away and jump around more than most people. Sometimes, it felt like you didn't even want to fight. I now vaguely recall that this is part of why I was excited for Mewtwo. Bowser just can't handle those kinds of games.

Mewtwo can,though, which is why I think I did better with him. It feels like you don't really like playing footsies or engaging at melee range. Even with Fox, you are more inclined to run away, shoot lasers, and jump around, and that is something unusual to me for a Fox player to do. I imagine that, like me, many of your opponents don't know what to do against that.

You don't seem to like the danger of a close-up fight, even against a character like Mewtwo. My Nairs rarely catch you because you tend to play a defensive game from about a fourth of a screen away. I think my Mewtwo gets away a lot more than he should because of this. In the last match between Fox and Bowser, I started to see what your game plan is. It is unfortunate that Bowser is too much of a piece of crap to counter it.

Sometimes your play gets predictable, and by the end of my time with Mewtwo I felt like I knew when it would be safe to throw a Shadow Ball. In our last match, I was able to KO you with Shadow Ball because of how predictable your play was.

In general,I think you won more than you lost, but these are still the things I noticed about your play.

GGs Karst, I don't know why but I stopped having fun a long while back. Winning didn't feel like fun, losing wasn't fun, playing my mains wasn't fun, doing anything wasn't fun. Nothing felt fun and I hate it.

That last match especially wasn't fun when I realized too late how I was supposed to play the matchup and since I was already at such a percent disadvantage the whole thing was lost and was just pointless.

Not fun, nothing is fun but I don't know why. :( Smash is my favorite game, but it literally felt like I was playing solely to give you busy work and nothing else, and that isn't fun. I can't play like this, but I feel like a break won't help at all. I need a way to sort this out or something...

GGs though, you're like the only Mewtwo I play on a regular basis so it's tough to learn what does and doesn't work.

Edit: Also, I guess currently I'm just not MLG enough for you. :p
What do you mean about the MLG comment? I felt like you outclassed me during our set, even if it was close.

I also didn't find our set fun. On my end, it is because your play was so damn passive. So much time running away and dodging. Is it always like that? I know that I dislike that kind of play sometimes, which is why I swap between Mewtwo and Bowser. It helps balance me to go between the extremes.

Take a break from the game. I played through Bayonetta 2 and had more fun than I have had with Smash in a while. However, I am having more fun with Smash now because I took a break. No one activity can ever make your free time enjoyable. Variation is important.

Learn a new character! Make it a fresh start and then come back to your mains
A new character, huh? Maybe someone that doesn't play like the people I currently play so I can create a new playstyle for myself. :)
Play Marvel instead so you can realize how empty and fleeting life is.

Anyone looking to play?

Holy shit lmao, that cheered me up.

"Nothing leaves a man feeling empty like getting ToD'd by X-Factor lv. 3 Vergil."
tl;dr Bowser is shit and CRQ needs to git gud
Yeah, thanks for this, I really appreciate it. :D

Yeah, I suppose that about sums up my play. I just don't like getting so up close with Fox because he's so incredibly fragile, but part of that is because I just don't know exactly how to operate once I'm up close. Maybe I need to toss in more grabs or something, develop a plan that lets me actually become aggressive, not without fear but without hesitation.

What is normal behavior for a Fox, in your opinion?

I may have won more, but that's meaningless to me. I want to know how I lost, and if I can make my win rate 100% then I'll start caring.

I played Marvel for the first time in a year last week. The guy got pretty salty. My main team wasn't available because of no Shuma, so I had to play my scrub killer team of Dormammu/Morrigan/Phoenix.

Lets just say that Dark Phoenix is still the queen of salt, hahaha.

Thulius

I played Marvel for the first time in a year last week. The guy got pretty salty. My main team wasn't available because of no Shuma, so I had to play my scrub killer team of Dormammu/Morrigan/Phoenix.

Lets just say that Dark Phoenix is still the queen of salt, hahaha.

I don't understand how anyone still playing that game 4 years out has the energy to waste getting mad at it. People should know better by now.

Down for more 1v1s if anyone's looking.

Cyberman, one thing I love about fighting your Sonic is that you use his full 100% toolset, and you have a lot of great fundamentals in your approach. I've never played another Sonic that uses pivot grabs as a regular setup, for example, even though Sonic is probably the best character to be using offensive pivot grabs. If more Sonic players were like you, I would respect the character more,
but would still want more nerfs for him. :p
Thanks! I feel like 6WX is the only other Sonic that plays similar to mine. A lot of people say that I need to figure out how to incorporate a defensive style a lot more if I want to become better.

I love that the D-air has an amazing spike hitbox now in this new patch. I've been catching a lot of people with it. :p

Its been forever since I've played Marvel and I feel like playing it again.

JulianImp

Talking about defensive play, I feel like I'd really have to play Karst sometime with the sole focus of working on it. I think I tend to play too agressively for my own good, often rushing things and getting punished for it, on top of not using my shield enough (shieldgrabs? what're those?).

What do you mean about the MLG comment? I felt like you outclassed me during our set, even if it was close.

I also didn't find our set fun. On my end, it is because your play was so damn passive. So much time running away and dodging. Is it always like that? I know that I dislike that kind of play sometimes, which is why I swap between Mewtwo and Bowser. It helps balance me to go between the extremes.

Take a break from the game. I played through Bayonetta 2 and had more fun than I have had with Smash in a while. However, I am having more fun with Smash now because I took a break. No one activity can ever make your free time enjoyable. Variation is important.

I wanted to be considered a good player too, you know? Someone who gets namedropped whenever people want examples of good character players. I could at least be that Doc guy, couldn't I? D: Even Namikaze gets to be the villain by playing Yoshi, I wanna fulfill some community archetype as well. :T

I'll be honest and admit it's mostly because I knew you could do crazy shit with your characters, and if the goal of the game is to strike fear into the heart of your opponent, you would have definitely won. I should probably play Roy, no running away with him.

That reminded me that I borrowed the DMC HD collection from a friend and never beat even the first game. Now I know what to do! Thanks, Mr. Teacher Karsticles-sensei!

Talking about defensive play, I feel like I'd really have to play Karst sometime with the sole focus of working on it. I think I tend to play too agressively for my own good, often rushing things and getting punished for it, on top of not using my shield enough (shieldgrabs? what're those?).

want to play again?

How do you qualify my play? Passive or Aggressive?
or passive aggressive kappa
?

I think I play more aggressive with custom Palutena (and Lucina), but I play passive as shit with Robin.

I wanted to be considered a good player too, you know? Someone who gets namedropped whenever people want examples of good character players. I could at least be that Doc guy, couldn't I? D: Even Namikaze gets to be the villain by playing Yoshi, I wanna fulfill some community archetype as well. :T

I'll be honest and admit it's mostly because I knew you could do crazy shit with your characters, and if the goal of the game is to strike fear into the heart of your opponent, you would have definitely won. I should probably play Roy, no running away with him.

That reminded me that I borrowed the DMC HD collection from a friend and never beat even the first game. Now I know what to do! Thanks, Mr. Teacher Karsticles-sensei!

You drop my name down 10x as much as everyone else combined. People are going to fear my new main soon, and I won't be known as "that Yoshi guy"!

You drop my name down 10x as much as everyone else combined. People are going to fear my new main soon, and I won't be known as "that Yoshi guy"!
Is it gonna be Sheik? Because honestly we could use more of those.

And come on Namikaze, after everything's said and done you're still the best Yoshi I've played so far. :) [Plus I'm like the only one who bothers to write out your name like the ninja and not the pirate.]

Is it gonna be Sheik? Because honestly we could use more of those.

And come on Namikaze, after everything's said and done you're still the best Yoshi I've played so far. :) [Plus I'm like the only one who bothers to write out your name like the ninja and not the pirate.]

Well I was joking about the new main, and I said it because of what I said yesterday. But I do want my Sheik to be a lot better so that I don't lose to every Sonic.

Don't you play on Anther's? I swear half my opponents play Yoshi in some form, so it is weird for you to not have played a better one. Even I have played a better Yoshi, but I know shit all about fighting Yoshi. I know my weaknesses, but every Yoshi I play is different from me. Thanks for the compliment, anyways.

Arrasengan. There, now I am both a male ninja and a female pirate with two completely different power levels.

FSLink

Banned
Anybody down to play 1v1s with customs?

I really should work on my Sheik more, I think she's probably my worst character out of the entire cast lol

Well at least I can be GAF's Diddy Kong. >_>

GGs man but I gotta go eat. Starting to learn match ups and how to fight projectile spam with projectile spam of my own lol. I swear spot dodging seems so OP at first but as the matches went on I could predict when you were gonna abuse it and react accordingly. Had fun!

I can't believe how many times my jump disappeared as Lucas. And I really wish that back air had spiked.

Well, good games.

I think I'll play Ike again with this patch. It's good to have a character who can be patient rather than always needing to be on top of everything like with Lucas and Greninja.

JulianImp

I'd play with some of you guys but I'm assuming most of you are NA? So it'll probably be laggy.

Where're you from? There're several Europe GAFfers in here, and I know that Boney and I at the very least are LatAmGAF representatives (ah, the green connection icon...).

Thulius

I can't believe how many times my jump disappeared as Lucas. And I really wish that back air had spiked.

Well, good games.

Good games. Jumps don't disappear, just be more mindful of when you use them!

Your Lucas seems pretty solid in the neutral but I don't really know what he's supposed to do once people get in. His shield grab isn't great and jab/Nair have no range, so... I dunno. Definitely not a fun fight with Mewtwo though.

What's up with his Usmash btw? Armor/invincibility on startup? Mewtwo's Dtilt went straight through it.

Good games. Jumps don't disappear, just be more mindful of when you use them!

Your Lucas seems pretty solid in the neutral but I don't really know what he's supposed to do once people get in. His shield grab isn't great and jab/Nair have no range, so... I dunno. Definitely not a fun fight with Mewtwo though.

What's up with his Usmash btw? Armor/invincibility on startup? Mewtwo's Dtilt went straight through it.

It has a pretty small amount of one of them. He can still be knocked out of it, but there's definitely some.

I don't think anyone knows yet what he's supposed to do in that situation. Basically just wait until he has a chance to roll or jab, it seems.

Top Bottom