• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Dr Eggman said:
Why are reviewers complaining about freedom again?
Open world + linear doesn't make any sense to some, myself included.

Still interested though, as Rockstar earned my undying love with Red Dead. it means I'll give at least two extra looks to anything they put out for now.

The Lamp

Interfectum said:
Cross game chatting while playing.

Weird. This is the very LAST game I would want to chat with my friends about while I'm playing. I'm trying to think and solve puzzles without outside intervention, after all.

And I have better ways of communicating with my friends when we're not playing a multiplayer game together than sitting on a dashboard and talking through a crappy XBL or PS3 mic, anyway. Whatevs.

The Lamp said:
Weird. This is the very LAST game I would want to chat with my friends about while I'm playing. I'm trying to think and solve puzzles without outside intervention, after all.

Well that's your preference

Oni Jazar said:
Chatty bitches.
Not even that. Sometimes I get in a mp craze for months so I'll still be playing a single player game but when I see my friends on 360 partied up in a mp game I'll jump out of even the most entertaining single player games to join them.
So yeah what Interfectum said.

Any word on a mandatory install for the PS3 version? I want to switch my pre-order to that if it's better looking, but my 40 GB is hurting for space.

dreamfall

NullPointer said:
Open world + linear doesn't make any sense to some, myself included.

Well it certainly has some unique qualities. In Mafia 2, it meant really enjoying drives and listening to the radio. Or randomly exploring for pin-ups, or robbing registers and compacting cars for money. I can't even begin to count the number of times I visited shops to change clothes! It wasn't the greatest experience, but I'll admit that free roaming in between missions helped set the stage for unique missions (Chinatown, Observatory).

I know it seems silly, but having a house where a character can go sleep/save really makes me happy.

Edit: I do wish this game had a day/night cycle when free roaming though. It certainly is one of the highlights of other Rockstar endeavors. Perhaps, Team Bondi felt the need to use a certain weather condition to have the strongest backdrop for each unique case.

Interfectum said:
The debates have already been settled. People are just spewing the same stuff and arguing in circles at this point.

Do you want the version that has an exclusive case, a single disc and is seemingly has a slight graphical advantage? Get the PS3 version.

Do you want achievements, be more "socially connected" to your XBL friends, and prefer using the 360 controller? Get the 360 version.

From what has been gathered by comparisons and most review sites is that while the PS3 has an advantage graphically it still boils down to your console of preference.
You have now settled it and every single person on NeoGAF, nay, the entire Internet has read your post.

I was simply responding to a post that said that the very idea that people are actually comparing the two versions is "sad" when it's not, it's just people trying to figure out how the two versions compare. The "sad" charge is obviously invoking console warz bullshit.

Interfectum

polyh3dron said:
You have now settled it and every single person on NeoGAF, nay, the entire Internet has read your post.

I wish. 20 pages from now we'll be right back here.

I'm not sure what more people want for comparisons... pixel counting?

TheExodu5

Banned
dreamfall said:
Well it certainly has some unique qualities. In Mafia 2, it meant really enjoying drives and listening to the radio. Or randomly exploring for pin-ups, or robbing registers and compacting cars for money. It wasn't the greatest experience, but I'll admit that free roaming in between missions helped set the stage for unique missions (Chinatown, Observatory).

I know it seems silly, but having a house where a character can go sleep/save really makes me happy.

Agreed. An open world can be used simply to enhance the experience...there's nothing that says the focus has to remain on that bullet point.

The_Squirrel_Menace said:
Hm I wish this game could be on PC for the sole reason to be modded as a Blade Runner total modification.

Kind of pointless to mod this unless you have Team Bondi's proprietary state-of-the-art facial capture system in your garage.

FrankT

hlhbk said:
I still can't tell which version looks better. Is it just me or does the PS3 version look washed out compared to the 360 version?

If they both have AA then I'm guessing if that is the case they went quincunx on the former. That link says MSAA for both so I couldn't say what that would be then. At least both are 720p. If 360 version has a decent FR I'll likely pick up sometime.

dreamfall said:
That doesn't seem silly at all. If there was more to the open world than cars and newspapers and the occasional random crime I'd be more into this - but I'm waiting on more impressions to get a sense of how dead or alive the world is. Are there full on missions that are only activated by finding or stumbling across them in the world? Like Red Dead side quests, or the random people who spawn quests in GTA4?

Are the newspapers handled like pigeons in GTA4 or is tracking them down fun on its own? Is there any variety to the ambient crime stopping scenarios? Does day or night have a difference to any of the game mechanics? Do the NPCs change their routines?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
The Lamp said:
Do we have to put this game in a box because it borrows assets from other games? Why can't some people just let it stand on its own?

I get bothered when people like to restrict game design to [other games in] genre. I have friends who won't play Left 4 Dead just because it doesn't let you use iron-sights like Call of Duty...even though iron-sights are completely unnecessary for the kind of game L4D is.
Pretty much. Comparisons are inevitable I know but don't make it a major complaint to why you don't like the game. Appreciate it for what it is. I can hardly understand how a free roam game would enhance the game any better than what it does now. It's actually more focused now and concentrates on 'solvin' cases' and not doing anything irrelevant. It probably has enough replay value as it is.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Kind of pointless to mod this unless you have Team Bondi's proprietary state-of-the-art facial capture system in your garage.

Okay, maybe just change the whole settings? keep the faces, change the character body, set it in future dystopia NewYork. Just reskin the game, sorta?

Please?

Heh, no I'm sure I'll enjoy the hell out of the game. Just that.. I find that Blade Runner is a franchise under used.

BeeDog

Jtyettis said:
If they both have AA then I'm guessing if that is the case they went quincunx on the former. That link says MSAA for both so I couldn't say what that would be then. At least both are 720p. If 360 version has a decent FR I'll likely pick up sometime.

For what it's worth, the B3D dudes say it's 2xMSAA for the PS3 too.

EDIT: damn your stealth-edit.

JonCha

Read the GiantBomb review. Impressed and really excited for this game! It'll be nice to get away from multiplayer-centric games -- open world games are my favourite.

The_Squirrel_Menace said:
Hm I wish this game could be on PC for the sole reason to be modded as a Blade Runner total modification.
I will wait at least a couple of months to see if there will be a PC version in the future before getting it on a console.

Was a PC version ever discussed? Does it seem reasonable? I have not been following.

Arnie

Just read the Eurogamer review, sounds really good and right up my alley, will buy it when my exams end in early June, a nice present to relax with after a period of stressful work.

I'll get the 360 version for the achievements and party chat, minor graphical problems don't really bother me because I won't be playing the other versions to see the improvements.

Xater

L0st Id3ntity said:
I will wait at least a couple of months to see if there will be a PC version in the future before getting it on a console.

Was a PC version ever discussed? Does it seem reasonable? I have not been following.

If Red Dead Redemption is any indication you will waste your time waiting for a PC version.

kaskade

I'm going to watch that kotaku video when I get home. I already have the game basically preordered in full but it'll be nice to see the game for reals.

Jadedx

Banned
What does this game play like? Is it GTA in the 20s? Or is it more like Heavy Rain like i've been hearing? I hated that game.

demolitio

Anyone know if you can do an instore pickup at Best Buy's midnight release? I called the store after ordering it online and she said "I think so" which doesn't make me too confident that I can and I'd hate to drive out there for nothing...So does anyone know if you can or does anyone plan to do it?

I just want that midnight release DLC even though I won't be able to play it with the store being down.

LProtag

demolitio said:
Anyone know if you can do an instore pickup at Best Buy's midnight release? I called the store after ordering it online and she said "I think so" which doesn't make me too confident that I can and I'd hate to drive out there for nothing...So does anyone know if you can or does anyone plan to do it?

I just want that midnight release DLC even though I won't be able to play it with the store being down.

When I was considering getting it from Best Buy I called and the person at my store said the same thing, but double checked with someone and said that I would be able to.

JaxJag

Banned
bonesmccoy said:
Yes, I bet they're devastated at how their game will sell like hotcakes on the back of the Rockstar juggernaut.
I don't think LA Noire will sell hotcakes.

The setting generally doesn't do well in video games, and the game itself is a complete depature from Rockstar's norm.

The game will do ok, but I don't see it becoming a blockbuster.

LProtag

JaxJag said:

The setting generally doesn't do well in video games, and the game itself is a complete depature from Rockstar's norm.

Heh, sell hotcakes.

Anyway, it's on the top of Amazon's sales with just preorders. I think it'll do pretty well.

JaxJag said:

A lot of people thought Red Dead Redemption wouldn't sell or that they wouldn't even break even. The amount of outside advertising this game has had is crazy. My grandfather asked me about it because he saw adverts while he was out and thought it was a movie of some kind.

This game will sell a lot, not as much as RDR but still a sizable amount.

JaxJag said:

Neither did the Old West setting of Red Dead and that was hotcakes covered with syrup. L.A. Noire has the Rockstar muscle behind it and getting rave reviews. It will sell like hotcakes.

JaxJag said:

I think it will be slightly below RDR's sales. Remember the Western setting was fairly unpopular before it came out. I think the key to sales is the Rockstar brand identity.

demolitio

InsertNameHere said:
When I was considering getting it from Best Buy I called and the person at my store said the same thing, but double checked with someone and said that I would be able to.
Thank you kind sir. I guess I'll go there tonight and find out, but now I feel confident I can get it.

Top Bottom