• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

theBishop

Banned
AiTM said:
I remember reading this abour RDR. "No cars, old guns", etc...I have a secret theory that good games will sell, and bad games wont. This isn't set in stone, but 80% of the time.

But Ive bet Ive been beating posting this...

Marketing is also extremely important. And LA Noire is getting a ton of marketing. There are posters all around Philadelphia. On buses, in the subway.

Sethos

Banned
That comparison video is odd, all of a sudden it goes into this washed out mode, looks like SD, then it suddenly goes into a sharp HD mode and it just bounces back and forth. When it's in HD mode they look identical, when it's in SD mode, the PS3 side takes the brunt because fuck all happens on the 360 side of the video.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I've been playing this since Friday. I'll keep it brief, but Eurogamer's review is spot on in my eyes.

Special J

Banned
honestly the way the game looks even the physics look like the RAGE engine (rockstar advanced game engine) i wouldnt be surprised if its the same resolutions we've seen in the past

xbox:1280x720
ps3:1152x640

edit: NVM

Karish

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS GAME.

My only issues so far are the loading times (not the games fault, really a product of the current gen tech), and whether or not to choose doubt or lie. It's very hard to tell if you should outright accuse someone of lying or just simply doubt them. The game should do a better job of explaining this.

Toki767

Amazon shipped my game. Apparently in the e-mail they congratulated me on getting $15 promotional credit on anything on Amazon as well as $10 promotional video game credit?

Sethos

Banned
Special J said:
honestly the way the game looks even the physics look like the RAGE engine (rockstar advanced game engine) i wouldnt be surprised if its the same resolutions we've seen in the past

xbox:1280x720
ps3:1152x640

Had you bothered reading anything, both games are 720p native and 2xMSAA.

hlhbk

Evlar said:
Virtually every single post from you in this thread is trying to find reasons not to buy the PS3 version.

That would be because I don't trust multi system releases on the PS3. I did once with Ghostbusters and since then can count many games that were far inferior on PS3. All I want is the best version, and since I own all the consoles I couldn't care less about the dumb console wars.

TheExodu5

Banned
hlhbk said:
I am seeing a difference. The PS3 version looks washed out to me.

*sigh*

Adjust the brightness/contrast on your TV. One version looking "washed out" has absolutely no bearing on the image quality of the game.

As usual, the 360 gamma curve is completely innacurate, causing massive amounts of black crush and loss of dynamics, yet people always interpret the other version of being the one that's washed out.

Evlar

Banned
hlhbk said:
That would be because I don't trust multi system releases on the PS3. I did once with Ghostbusters and since then can count many games that were far inferior on PS3. All I want is the best version, and since I own all the consoles I couldn't care less about the dumb console wars.
Then why on earth did you preorder on PS3 to begin with?

Seanspeed

Banned
Moz La Punk said:
I don't think I'm playing for the missions... I mean its fun and all, but I feel like I'm playing for the general vibe this game gives.
This is kinda what I'm worried about.

I felt the same way about RDR, and that game got tiring for me after the novelty of the incredible atmosphere washed off.

Quick question: is there day/night cycles? If yes, how does nighttime look?

DrBo42

Blakero said:
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS GAME.

My only issues so far are the loading times (not the games fault, really a product of the current gen tech), and whether or not to choose doubt or lie. It's very hard to tell if you should outright accuse someone of lying or just simply doubt them. The game should do a better job of explaining this.

Well the lie option is for when you actually have solid evidence to contradict their statement. Doubt is more of a "Well shit...I can't prove anything but you're not being truthful."

LProtag

Toki767 said:
Amazon shipped my game. Apparently in the e-mail they congratulated me on getting $15 promotional credit on anything on Amazon as well as $10 promotional video game credit?

Did you have something else in your cart? I only got 15 dollars of credit.

Tr4nce

Seanspeed said:
Quick question: is there day/night cycles? If yes, how does nighttime look?

From what I know, there are no day/night cycles. It seems that certain parts of cases just play in a different time of day.

LProtag

DrBo42 said:
Well the lie option is for when you actually have solid evidence to contradict their statement. Doubt is more of a "Well shit...I can't prove anything but you're not being truthful."

It's the difference between "HOLD IT!" and "OBJECTION!".

Toki767

InsertNameHere said:
Nope. Although I did preorder it back when they were only giving out $10 credit so maybe it stacked somehow.

hlhbk

SamuraiX- said:
smfh

How have you lasted this long?

May I ask what you are referring to? I am not trying to start anything. I honestly saw the PS3 version looks more washed out. Why wouldn't I last?

ACE 1991

Just ordered this from Amazon. It's so nice to have time to play games again now that I'm done with school for the summer! I'll use the $15 credit for Infamous 2.

hlhbk said:
I am seeing a difference. The PS3 version looks washed out to me.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "washed-out". But certainly there is a hint of the vaseline filter. It is no where near as egregious as the vas filter they put on Assassin's creed though.

Other than that, they both look great. The real difference will be in fram drops (which I understand the 360 has more of).

TheExodu5

Banned
hlhbk said:
May I ask what you are referring to? I am not trying to start anything. I honestly saw the PS3 version looks more washed out. Why wouldn't I last?

Maybe he's commenting on the fact that EVERY SINGLE PS3 GAME comes away with the same results from comparisons. "oh man ps3 version is washed out omg 360 deep colors!".

It's all a function of gamma/brightness/contrast. It can all be balanced out with a properly calibrated television.

edit: I'm really quite annoyed that a lot of these comparison sites still don't do black level matching for their comparison videos.

DryvBy

Ars Tech's readers might be the biggest bunch of moaners on the internet. I imagine a lot of them sit around drinking scotch with 1930s jams playing with a roaring fire going in the background. They turn to their computers and begin the elite complaining about anything they don't "get".

From the commercials, these so called "brilliant" animations look awkward (in fact, the whole LA Noire spot is pretty cringe-worthy from an aesthetic standpoint). It's like with motion-capture... animations generally look worse (and certainly less stylish) than if they were conceived from a (good) art design team's collective mind.

My thoughts from just watching the TV commercials were that this game looked interesting, but that all of the characters looked too similar. I figured it would be one of those games where the only way to distinguish the characters was via their clothing (man in blue suit, man in green suit, etc.) Guess that's why I rarely buy games based strictly off of TV commercials.

The Bad: Not on PC
Verdict: Not buying till it is on PC

Not getting this for the same reason I did not get Red Dead. While the game as a whole may be fantastic the "FPS" shooting with a controller completely infuriated to a point that the game just was not even remotely fun.

For the same reason I almost hated Uncharted 1 and 2 (god the boss in 2 actually drove me to setting the game on the easiest setting just for that fight).

Anyway, I'm vastly excited about tomorrow night after work.

Toki767 said:
Nope. Although I did preorder it back when they were only giving out $10 credit so maybe it stacked somehow.
This probably did happen. Back when the 3DS launched SSF43D's promo changed from $10 off any video game to $10 off any 3DS title. Amazon gave out $20 credit if you preordered when the original promo hit.

hlhbk

TheExodu5 said:
Maybe he's commenting on the fact that EVERY SINGLE PS3 GAME comes away with the same results from comparisons. "oh man ps3 version is washed out omg 360 deep colors!".

It's all a function of gamma/brightness/contrast. It can all be balanced out with a properly calibrated television.

And why would my commenting the game looks washed out result in my "not being around?"

Tr4nce said:
From what I know, there are no day/night cycles. It seems that certain parts of cases just play in a different time of day.
Makes me wonder why they went with an open world at all. Just for car chases?

brentech

InsertNameHere said:
I too got what he referred to. Here's the email, only thing in my cart.

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC) :

1 L.A. Noire $59.99 1 $59.99

Shipped via UPS

Tracking number: ZOINK!

Item Subtotal: $59.99
Shipping and handling: $0.99
Pre-order Guarantee: $0.00
Promotion Applied: $0.00
Game Credit Applied: $0.00
Total: $60.98
Paid by Visa: $48.23
Paid by Gift Certificate: $12.75
Congratulations. Your purchase has qualified you for a $15 promotional credit toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (certain exclusions apply, including Kindle books, MP3s, and video rentals and downloads). The credit will be applied directly to your Amazon.com account within two days after your product ships once processing is complete.

Our Pre-order Price Guarantee covers one or more item(s) in this order. If the Amazon.com price decreases between the time you place your order and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price.

Congratulations. Your purchase has qualified you for a $10 Video Games promotional code. The promotion code will be applied directly to your Amazon.com account up to two (2) business days after your product ships.

ColonialRaptor said:
I know right... I'm hardly even feel like posting.

Guys... fucking WHO CARES exactly who developed what.

It was a joint effort by Team Bondi and Rockstar with a majority of the development done by Bondi. This is pure FACT.

Lets LEAVE IT AT THAT. END OF DISCUSSION. Now, lets go back to hyping the shit outta this awesome game!

Review embargo ends while I will be sleeping, and our USA friends will have the game while I'm sleeping also... I will be disappointed if GAF doesn't give me 20 pages over night!!!

YOU CAN DO IT GAF!!

I didn't get my 20 pages GAF!!

Though... 16 is pretty good for 6.5 hours lol

TheExodu5 said:
To enhance the experience? An open world makes the game feel more alive.
It can, but it only does so for me when the game has mechanics that take advantage of it. Like Red Dead's hunting, treasures, ambient scenarios, mini-games, campsites and chases.

GTA4 went wrong by not having enough gameplay in their world.

I'm just wondering whether anybody would have minded (or even applauded) if the game had a basic level structure where each mission takes place in its own crafted area.

TheExodu5

Banned
NullPointer said:
I'm just wondering whether anybody would have minded (or even applauded) if the game had a basic level structure where each mission takes place in its own crafted area.

Probably.

I liked Mafia 2. The open world contributed absolutely nothing to the gameplay, but I still loved the feel it brought to the game.

Grisby

NullPointer said:
It can, but it only does so for me when the game has mechanics that take advantage of it. Like Red Dead's hunting, treasures, ambient scenarios, mini-games, campsites and chases.

Really? I though GTA4 did it pretty well. Its the checkpoint system that killed that game for me.

I agree mostly with what your saying though. In this case, maybe a linear experience would have been preferable but I don't know. That'll have to wait till after the game is done. I never played Mafia 2 but from what I understand that game world was completely barren of outside activity.

No day night cycle, just different types of day/night depending on the case.

I just had my first mission as a real investigator and I have to say I enjoyed it very much. I can see now that everything before that was kind of tutorial-like. This was the real deal. Questioning people (I was good - got all six questions right in one try), investigating crime scene, a chase... it had everything.

And I think the best thing of this game is that you feel each and every character - even the ones you are investigating - are done by real actors. Everyone has a different character. Its like you're really talking to real people. It makes it addicting, I want to play more. Yeah I like it a lot.

TheExodu5 said:
Probably.

I liked Mafia 2. The open world contributed absolutely nothing to the gameplay, but I still loved the feel it brought to the game.

I agree. The freedom / sandbox aspect of the game feels a lot like Mafia 2, but I don't see it as a bad thing. If I want to play a real open world game, I play GTA or even Red Dead. This feels more like a movie, in a good way. Or a television series, with each case being an episode. Something like that.

newsguy

Game's the absolute shit. I only got a taste, about 2 actual higher tier cases, but it left me dying for m?idnight for my copy. I can already see myself replaying cases where I didn't get the questioning perfect. I already did that once and got to see both paths the story took. Pretty much same result, different path. Phenomenal facial animation.

Hyunkel6

NullPointer said:

I was thinking something similar. It's obvious that Team Bondi put a tremendous amount of world in the world. Yet, I'm afraid that many people won't feel the need to experience it since the open-endness of the world doesn't play a very significant role in the game. I believe most people will just go from mission to mission with no or little interest in roaming around the world.

Hyunkel6 said:
I was thinking something similar. It's obvious that Team Bondi put a tremendous amount of world in the world. Yet, I'm afraid that many people won't feel the need to experience it since the open-endness of the world doesn't play a very significant role in the game. I believe most people will just go from mission to mission with no or little interest in roaming around the world.

Why be afraid of it? It's great that the game leaves that option to the player. Some people will want to play through the story for the story - thats great. Some people will take the time to just drive around and see this beautifully realised LA, see the landmarks, etc. It's up to you.

No standard day/night is disappointing. You can still have "set piece" weather patterns in an open world game, just look at some missions in Bully, GTAIV, and RDR.

Oh well, just have to wait till GTAV for an LA with a day/night cycle.

Sethos said:
I just hope they get the weather right, along the lines of RDR quality - Then I'm a happy camper.

As of yet I havent seen different weather types, but hey its LA... sunny most of the time right?

But I bet there are different weather types, scripted. Just havent seen them yet.

Seanspeed

Banned
NullPointer said:

I think its alright if you going into it KNOWING that there's not a huge sandbox element to the game, but I can see a lot of unsuspecting people thinking that since its open-world and they are free to move around freely, that there's gonna be a ton of fun had in just exploring and doing whatever in-between missions.

I've gotta admit its a bit of a disappointment for me, but like I said, as long as I know about this ahead of time, I can at least reset my expectations a little bit to compensate.

Net_Wrecker said:
Freakin hilarious.
You sure thats a bug? You ever tried running on an angled roof with dress shoes?

Sethos

Banned
Moz La Punk said:
As of yet I havent seen different weather types, but hey its LA... sunny most of the time right?

But I bet there are different weather types, scripted. Just havent seen them yet.

There is, someone posted a screenshot few days ago where it was raining. So at some point during the game there's rain apparently.

EDIT:

med_LA%20Noire_screenshot_226_1280x720.jpg

Top Bottom