• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

JonCha

Ugh, it's annoying that Kotaku are saying that Rockstar are co-developing the game with Team Bondi. I thought Rockstar had some input, but were namely the publisher?

JonCha said:
Ugh, it's annoying that Kotaku are saying that Rockstar are co-developing the game with Team Bondi. I thought Rockstar had some input, but were namely the publisher?
It's annoying even though you're not sure if it's true?

So I've played the first four missions.

Once you
promote
you can get random calls, you need to get to the destination to solve the street crime. There are
street crimes in total and they're handled pretty well. I guess they are the side missions of the game.

The story had me engrossed after a couple of missions. The main character is just a very likeable guy, although you can already guess from the opening hour he has a past that's going to play a larger role later in the game - at least that's what I'm guessing.

The handling of the cars is fine, works for me. Takes some getting used to. Running takes some getting used to as well because it uses the trigger (PS3) instead of tapping X like you're used to in GTA.

I don't think I'm playing for the missions... I mean its fun and all, but I feel like I'm playing for the general vibe this game gives. Very authentic, and very well done voice acting. And of course the face animation... beyond beautiful. Fave character up until this point is the police boss (sorry, not so good with names), it's the pastor from that one episode of Lost where Desmond is in the abbey.

I'll post more impressions later. I can link to the review my editor wrote all day, but 99 percent of you wont find use in it since its in Dutch.

Jadedx

Banned
Okay so I watched a few videos and I've decided to get it. Thanks to the guys the helped me. Can't wait to play this tomorrow.

Kevitivity

Just placed my order for the PS3 version via Amazon and they estimate the delivery date to be between the 23rd and 25th... FAIL. Guess I should have just planned to walk into a brick and mortar store tomorrow on my lunch break.

Loudninja said:
I dont knwo if this question been answer but are any random crimes in the game or is it just the 40 side missions?

Up until now I've only encountered one of the 40 side missions. Don't know if there's anything else but to me it feels 40 is more than enough, really.

JaxJag said:
I don't think LA Noire will sell hotcakes.

The setting generally doesn't do well in video games, and the game itself is a complete depature from Rockstar's norm.

The game will do ok, but I don't see it becoming a blockbuster.
Right, we'll see how much of a departure the game actually is in a few weeks after the hype dies down.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Reviews

* X360A – 96
* Kotaku – Video review
* Eurogamer – 8
* IGN – 8.5
* Videogamer – 10
* Joystiq - 4.5/5
* 1UP – A
* Destructoid – 9
* ***** – 90 percent
* Nowgamer – 9.3
* Giant Bomb – 5/5
* Digital Spy – 5/5
* GameSpot – 9.0
* The Guardian – 5/5
* GamePro – 5/5
* CVG – 8.9
* VaDeJuegos (Spanish) – 9.2
* Eurogamer.de (German) – 9
* HardGame2 (Spanish) – 9.5
* VicioJuegos.com (Spanish) – 93/100
* GameTrailers – 9.1
* The Telegraph – 9
* MTV Multiplayer – N/A
* Metro – 9
* G4 – 5/5
* TVG – 10
* Game Informer – 8.75

Moz La Punk said:
I had to do new firmware, didnt see what version it was but I suppose it should be the new one, right?

Did it prompt you/update via the disc before booting the game, or was it an update via PSN?

AiTM

Banned
JaxJag said:
I don't think LA Noire will sell hotcakes.

The setting generally doesn't do well in video games, and the game itself is a complete depature from Rockstar's norm.

The game will do ok, but I don't see it becoming a blockbuster.

I remember reading this abour RDR. "No cars, old guns", etc...I have a secret theory that good games will sell, and bad games wont. This isn't set in stone, but 80% of the time.

But Ive bet Ive been beating posting this...

Loudninja said:
Naw that find just wondering.

I mean, I feel like I've played a solid 1,5 hours and this side mission just felt like it came at the right time. If they do this every couple of missions, its MORE than enough.

disappeared said:
Did it prompt you/update via the disc before booting the game, or was it an update via PSN?

Yeah via the disc.

timmy01

Neo Member
disappeared said:
Can anyone confirm whether or not this requires 3.56 firmware on PS3?
long standing rumor is that this and portal 2 were the big 3.60 required games. Portal 2 was in fact 3.60 required. Would be shocked if this wasn't.

edit - and for the CFW crew not aware, by 3.60 required, if like portal 2 it means the game is actually encrypted with the 3.60 keys... so don't expect a patched version to run on 3.55 any time soon.
Loudninja said:
I dont knwo if this question been answer but are any random crimes in the game or is it just the 40 side missions?
yes it's been answered. No there are no random events. Spoilered counts for those who don't want to know. Just the main
cases and the
police calls.

Fjordson

Really happy for Bondi that it seems to be getting great scores. Though I have to say, I'm pretty surprised that IGN is on the lower end of the spectrum.

Fjordson

The_Darkest_Red said:
I don't really like him but Hilary is generally one of the tougher reviewers at IGN. He doesn't usually fall into they hype either (see Assassin's Creed 1).
I wonder how much of that is a reaction to all the people that raged over his "Oscar-worthy" comment about GTA IV.

Edit: I haven't read many of his reviews, so I'm merely guessing.

Fjordson said:
I wonder how much of that is a reaction to all the people that raged over his "Oscar-worthy" comment about GTA IV.

Edit: I don't read many of his reviews, so I'm just guessing.
Well Assassin's Creed came out before GTA IV but that is definitely a point to consider. I had forgotten that he wrote that review.

Kingpen

Is there by chance a poker mini game in this? I would love the chance to play poker in a game with the tech that they have on display here.

Interfectum

I dunno, I don't really see an 8.5 as a 'low' score.

I'm not sure what a lot of neogaffers want out of review scores anymore. If it's 10/10 best game ever, then it's labelled as hyperbole. If it's anything lower than a 9/10 then the site is lowballing for hits.

So I guess the safest route is give everything a 9/10.

Interfectum said:

I'm not sure what a lot of neogaffers want out of review scores anymore. If it's 10/10 best game ever, then it's labelled as hyperbole. If it's anything lower than a 9/10 then the site is lowballing for hits.

Well it's not a low score but it is relatively low (compared to other reviewers), which is unusual for IGN.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I don't really like him but Hilary is generally one of the tougher reviewers at IGN. He doesn't usually fall into they hype either (see Assassin's Creed 1).
He slobbered all over IV.

I'm fine with people being hard it just kinda irks me when a game dares to be original and gets docked points for the result of creative risk.

JonCha

Ninja Scooter said:

Well yeah, because the credit to seems to be going with Rockstar predominantly. And considering the publisher switched from SCEA to Rockstar I'm almost certain that Team Bondi is the main developer, but didn't commit in-case I was wrong.

Also:
LANoireDB: RT @EBGamesAus: #EBAUNEWS Get your detective shoes on early! #LANoire will now be available from Thursday the 19th. http://t.co/0XEknnW

Interfectum said:
Pretty much. Lets make a website that reviews games somewhere between 9.0 and 11.0

And just to fuck with people we could hand out a 7.1 every once in a while, just to keep people on their toes.

Or just give every game a 10, and the review is just a way to justify the game deserving a 10 for any reason whatsoever.

Fjordson

Interfectum said:

I didn't mean it in a negative way. 8.5 is a fine score. I was just surprised that they're one of the lower ones.

I have to admit that a lot of these reviews are getting me hyped. I was only checking Metacritic earlier, but I've come across so many 9's and above that aren't listed yet. Shit's gonna be good.

There have been games with graphics far superior to L.A. Noire's, with a level of fidelity that makes the world seem more real than what's outside your door. But I've never seen an Adam's apples move when people talk or throat muscles tense when someone almost says too much. It's fascinating to watch a sort of hybrid between an action game and an episode of Law & Order.
Hilary, Shut up. Seriously.

Buckethead said:
He slobbered all over IV.

I'm fine with people being hard it just kinda irks me when a game dares to be original and gets docked points for the result of creative risk.
Yeah, it is kind of surprising that the game scored an 8.5, although I don't think the points that got docked were necessarily the result of creative risk.

GTA IV was awesome and deserved the praise.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'm seriously considering the midnight pick-up tonight, which I never do... but I don't work til late tomorrow and it might be cool to knock out a few hours tonight.

Alright, so about the interrogations. I'm not that good in them, it seems, and I can echo some of the critisism. It often feels a bit like its guess work - like, what is the right question to ask? And is he lying or not? It's not that the facial animation is not good - its great - but maybe I overthink things too much. Like: he's not even flinching, but maybe he's just a good liar, so I just call him out for it anyway. But it seems the game doesn't want you to overthink it, just accept a man that looks like he's lying as a man that looks like he's lying.

I dunno, maybe I'll get better at it. Its not really bothering my right now though.

Chiggs said:
How many times do you plan on bringing this up in this thread?

jesus sorry man, I just wanted the list to be complete. I only posted the link one time before, when the embargo was lifted. it seems like any time there is even a slight hint of self promotion, you take the chance to bring someone down about it. I won't mention it again, if that makes you feel all happy inside, alright?

Fjordson

Moz La Punk said:
Alright, so about the interrogations. I'm not that good in them, it seems, and I can echo some of the critisism. It often feels a bit like its guess work - like, what is the right question to ask? And is he lying or not? It's not that the facial animation is not good - its great - but maybe I overthink things too much. Like: he's not even flinching, but maybe he's just a good liar, so I just call him out for it anyway. But it seems the game doesn't want you to overthink it, just accept a man that looks like he's lying as a man that looks like he's lying.

I dunno, maybe I'll get better at it. Its not really bothering my right now though.
My friend is at the end of disc 2 and he was having the same issue in the beginning. I don't want to spoil anything but, yeah, at least for the time being, don't over think things =D

The_Darkest_Red said:
GTA IV was awesome and deserved the praise.
*fist bump*

Ninja Scooter said:

Rockstar Leeds was heavily involved in putting this game together last year and plenty of Rockstar North people were working on this game as well.

Tr4nce

Hey Moz la Punk, I'm Dutch as well. How'd you get the game so early? You an editor for gamer.nl or something?

Anyway, I was really curious about the puzzle element of this game. Does it really require active thinking to solve cases? Or does it all just come to a conclusion at a certain point? Eh, I'm sorry if I'm not very clear, I don't know how to explain it very well.

Fjordson said:
My friend is at the end of disc 2 and he was having the same issue in the beginning. I don't want to spoil anything but, yeah, at least for the time being, don't over think things =D

alright, sounds good.

Tr4nce said:
Hey Moz la Punk, I'm Dutch as well. How'd you get the game so early? You an editor for gamer.nl or something?

I'll pm you since I don't want to cause any more anger

rhino4evr

Moz La Punk said:

jesus sorry man, I just wanted the list to be complete. I only posted the link one time before, when the embargo was lifted. it seems like any time there is even a slight hint of self promotion, you take the chance to bring someone down about it. I won't mention it again, if that makes you feel all happy inside, alright?
Isn't that kind of the point...you cant loose either way. So does it really matter if you miss a clue or mess up a question? Not really...just adds to the reality. A lot of crime solving is guess work..until the evidence presents itself.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Not to side track, but it seems the IGN review is disappointed because LA Noire isn't Heavy Rain. Are you guys expecting a lot of people to have that complaint? If so, then I'm gonna have to build up an immunity to Heavy Rain slobbering all over again.

rhino4evr said:
Isn't that kind of the point...you cant loose either way. So does it really matter if you miss a clue or mess up a question? Not really...just adds to the reality. A lot of crime solving is guess work..until the evidence presents itself.

well, it was irritating that one time when I had to do the same conversation 4 times because I kept guessing the wrong questions to ask. And since you can't skip the conversations you have to do again, it got kind of irritating. but yeah, not a big deal. as of yet.

Evlar

Banned
whytemyke said:
Not to side track, but it seems the IGN review is disappointed because LA Noire isn't Heavy Rain. Are you guys expecting a lot of people to have that complaint? If so, then I'm gonna have to build up an immunity to Heavy Rain slobbering all over again.
I'm expecting a much larger number complaining it isn't GTA San Andreas: 1947 Edition.

rhino4evr

Evlar said:
I'm expecting a much larger number complaining it isn't GTA San Andreas: 1947 Edition.
Yeah..I would imagine a lot of the typical GTA crowd will hate this game. They will go in expecting something completely different.

rhino4evr said:
Yeah..I would imagine a lot of the typical GTA crowd will hate this game. They will go in expecting something completely different.

Yeah, well then they should buy Saints Row 3 when it comes out I guess =)

Tr4nce said:
Anyway, I was really curious about the puzzle element of this game. Does it really require active thinking to solve cases? Or does it all just come to a conclusion at a certain point? Eh, I'm sorry if I'm not very clear, I don't know how to explain it very well.

Well I'm not far in so I'm not the one to judge, but up until now I didn't need to put the pieces together so to speak. Just look around until you found all the clues you need, then progress.

Top Bottom