• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

brentech

Sethos said:
I just hope they get the weather right, along the lines of RDR quality - Then I'm a happy camper.
That early thunderstorm in RDR gave you chills if you had surround sound going. Was amazing.

COULD EVERYONE PLEASE READ THE OP WHEN THINKING ABOUT POSTING SPOILERS AND CONSIDER THE CORRECT WAY TO POST THEM.

There are still many posts with blacked out parts that have no summary in front to give any warning as to the content of the spoilers - there's no proper etiquette here.

It's in the very first post of the OP and has been for a while now.

Sethos

Banned
brentech said:
That early thunderstorm in RDR gave you chills if you had surround sound going. Was amazing.

That's exactly the quality I wanted it to reach, talked about it many pages ago - Even posted a few RDR thunderstorm videos to prove the point. Those thunderstorms during an investigations, swollen pants and a half!

GavinGT

Banned
I really didn't think I was going to like this game, but I was very wrong. In fact, the mixture of open-world exploration, dialogue, and up-close item examination is very reminiscent of Shenmue for me. It's definitely scratching that itch.

brentech said:

EVERY storm in RDR was amazing, as was every sunrise, every sunset, every clear night, and the various types of day skies. Great day/night/weather cycle in that game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Net_Wrecker said:
EVERY storm in RDR was amazing, as was every sunrise, every sunset, every clear night, and the various types of day skies. Great day/night/weather cycle in that game.

Yeah one of the best ever made.

Hyunkel6 said:
I was thinking something similar. It's obvious that Team Bondi put a tremendous amount of world in the world. Yet, I'm afraid that many people won't feel the need to experience it since the open-endness of the world doesn't play a very significant role in the game. I believe most people will just go from mission to mission with no or little interest in roaming around the world.

I'm really against the idea that something that not every player will experience is somehow not worthwhile, because I think it's an argument against choice and variation within game experiences.

And while it's great if an open world game can fill it's space with lots of side activities, like RDR does, the question is what would it have taken to put more content into the sandbox and would that have been to the detriment of the game's main content?

Edit - RDR - my favourite thing to do during a thunderstorm in RDR was to get on the train climb on the roof and just ride around watching the view. Scratch that, riding around on top of the train admiring the view was my favourite thing to do in RDR, whatever the weather. By the gods that game is gorgeous.

Evlar

Banned
DrBo42 said:
Not trying to derail but can you really think of a superior game in that department? I definitely cannot.
Superior? Dunno. Left 4 Dead 2 has some incredible weather effects, particularly the sound of storms... That disturbing high-pitched wail of wind in the Hard Rain campaign matches the feel of the game very well. Uncharted 2 has a nice blizzard.

Tom Penny

brentech said:

The lighting in general on consoles is unmatched IMO as far as day / night cycle. There are times that you had no choice but to just look in awe unless your blind of course.

Sethos

Banned
Evlar said:
Superior? Dunno. Left 4 Dead 2 has some incredible weather effects, particularly the sound of storms... That disturbing high-pitched wail of wind in the Hard Rain campaign meets the feel of the game very well. Uncharted 2 has a nice blizzard.

You have to be kidding, none of those even comes close - They couldn't even see the dust of RDR with a pair of binoculars, so far behind are they :p RDR is the undisputed champion of weather effects and pure atmosphere in gaming to date.

iceatcs

Net_Wrecker said:
Yeah RDR has some cool dynamic weathers, but I don't think it will be same in LA Noire because it doesn't do the day/night/weather cycle. Hope I was wrong though.

brentech

Net_Wrecker said:
Yeah, for sure. But the first one encountered had me nervous and "literally" gave me some spine tingling.

TheExodu5 said:
Maybe he's commenting on the fact that EVERY SINGLE PS3 GAME comes away with the same results from comparisons. "oh man ps3 version is washed out omg 360 deep colors!".

It's all a function of gamma/brightness/contrast. It can all be balanced out with a properly calibrated television.

edit: I'm really quite annoyed that a lot of these comparison sites still don't do black level matching for their comparison videos.

Everytime someone mentions "washed-out" now, I twitch. Yes, because that's exactly how my tv settings look with my PS3 never mind the fact both both systems have different gamma outputs by default which should be properly accommodated with.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Sethos said:
You have to be kidding, none of those even comes close - They couldn't even see the dust of RDR with a pair of binoculars, so far behind are they :p RDR is the undisputed champion of weather effects and pure atmosphere in gaming to date.

DrBo42 said:
Not trying to derail but can you really think of a superior game in that department? I definitely cannot.

Totally agree.

RDR - Time Lapse video

UNBELIEVABLE

DrBo42

Well it seems to me that L.A. Noire is going to be an ambitious title that hasn't been fully realized or reached its true potential yet. If Team Bondi and Rockstar give it a proper sequel it could be something really amazing. Maybe we'll get a full on day/night cycle and more to do in the city. Most importantly, a less linear narrative that can branch out.

FinKL

Enjoyed the Kotaku video glimpse. Why don't more video reviews caption what they say so I can watch em at work with no headphones/sound

Sethos

Banned
DrBo42 said:
Well it seems to me that L.A. Noire is going to be an ambitious title that hasn't been fully realized or reached its true potential yet. If Team Bondi and Rockstar give it a proper sequel it could be something really amazing. Maybe we'll get a full on day/night cycle and more to do in the city. Most importantly, a less linear narrative that can branch out.

A game like that won't even reach its full potential because there's a fine line between restricting the player to keep the atmosphere, feel and direction of the game but still allowing enough leeway. That's why developers rarely try this kind of stuff. Of course there's room for polish but a lot of the complaints are purely down to the nature of how the developers wanted to keep the player on a certain path.

Audioboxer

DrBo42 said:

That reads like this game is mediocre... seriously?

Sorry... I just don't get it. Based on reviews, this is one of the best games to release this year (or in recent times) how could it have not achieved what it set out to do?

I don't care what anyone else says my hype is higher than EVARRRR!!!

Sethos

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
Sorry... I just don't get it. Based on reviews, this is one of the best games to release this year (or in recent times) how could it have not achieved what it set out to do?

It's an AAA title, there will always be people complaining, making silly arguments, doubting and hating.

Kevitivity

Moz La Punk said:
As of yet I havent seen different weather types, but hey its LA... sunny most of the time right?

But I bet there are different weather types, scripted. Just havent seen them yet.

No such thing as a noir story arc that doesn't include an ominous torrential downpour of some kind, along with mysterious, trench coat wearing men standing in the shadows, peering our from under their fedoras.

Shurs

Installing the game (360 version) now.

I see no sign of an "Online Pass" or a "Rockstar Pass" or anything of the sort.

Lakitu

st5fu
DrBo42 said:

Game sounds like it has lived up to it's potential to me, I rather they take their ambition and apply it to more concepts. Team Bondi could have some phenomenal games up their sleeve.

As far as Rockstar this generation are concerned, they've yet to let me down. In fact, the most immersed I've been this gen is driving around at night in GTA IV with Aphex Twin playing on the radio. So good.

Fjordson

Shurs said:
Installing the game (360 version) now.

I see no sign of an "Online Pass" or a "Rockstar Pass" or anything of the sort.
Yeah, I wonder what that was. Haven't heard anyone with the game saying they've seen it.

Kagari said:
System wars still? Just go with whatever version you want.

That's just the thing. For people with both consoles, these graphical comparisons are rarely a system wars thing, and more of a bang-for-your-buck thing.

If this were a multiplayer game, I would certainly go with the 360 version (for obvious reasons) but since it is single player only, the choice is much tougher. Outside of online functionality, I literally have no preference when it comes to the two systems. In this case, the version I want is the best looking version.

WhiskeyKnight said:
That's just the thing. For people with both consoles, these graphical comparisons are rarely a system wars thing, and more of a bang-for-your-buck thing.

If this were a multiplayer game, I would certainly go with the 360 version (for obvious reasons) but since it is single player only, the choice is much tougher. Outside of online functionality, I literally have no preference when it comes to the two systems. In this case, the version I want is the best looking version.

this is exactly the situation I am in!

I hate console wars but since I own both what version runs better?!?!

I am putting my money on the remarks made at giantbomb:

GiantBomb Review said:
Having spent a lot of time with both versions of L.A. Noire, the PlayStation 3 game is the clear-cut winner. Both versions of the game look fantastic, but there were a few instances of painful frame rate drops and objects drawing in too slowly on the Xbox that didn't exist on the PS3. Also, the shadows look a bit more jagged

he does however go on to say that both versions are good and get it on whatever console you choose.

Seanspeed

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:

The review *scores* say its an incredibly good game, but the content of the reviews gives me the nagging feeling that a lot of people are simply wow'ed by the atmosphere and uniqueness of the game, so are giving a bit of a biased pass to many of the mediocre gameplay elements.

Sethos

Banned
firehawk12 said:
So general consensus is that the PS3 version is the one to get?

They are pretty much identical, 360 version suffers from a bit more noticeable streaming of textures and some FPS hiccups but nothing much major.

shwimpy

Sethos said:
They are pretty much identical, 360 version suffers from a bit more noticeable streaming of textures and some FPS hiccups but nothing much major.
Sounds like PS3 version it is then... thanks!

JABEE

Does anyone know what the process is like for picking up a game at Best Buy? Does the person picking it up just need the credit card or do they have to sign?

Lakitu

st5fu
alterno69 said:
Stop posting RDR stuff before i fall sleep, that game is fucking boring, hopefully LA NOIR is actually fun to play instead of putting me to sleep.

You dislike nice things and you're a Manchester United fan. Away with you.

alterno69 said:
Stop posting RDR stuff before i fall sleep, that game is fucking boring, hopefully LA NOIR is actually fun to play instead of putting me to sleep.

And THAT'S what we would say if it was opposite day. Good job.

Now back to the LA Noire talk.

CyReN

alterno69 said:

1239883733_Angry_Video_Game_Nerd.gif

5.5 hours, please ship now Amazon.

Top Bottom