• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Okay, looking at the comparison shots on lens of truth and I'm pretty sure the differences are the kinds of things only insane people would care about.

Bah, missed UPS today. Oh well, I've got Witcher 2 syndrome and will be around tomorrow to pick it up. How are the old-school Adventure game aficionados liking the game?

Have a bit of an issue here.

I input my 360 code for the naked city and badge pursuit case and while downloading my internet dropped out. How do you redownload this? I tried putting in the code again and it says its invalid now.

EDIT-Nevermind, I went to download history and I was able to redownload it. I was ready to rage.

Eric WK

Lionheart1827 said:
Have a bit of an issue here.

I input my 360 code for the naked city and badge pursuit case and while downloading my internet dropped out. How do you redownload this? I tried putting in the code again and it says its invalid now.

Go to the download section of the main menu and it should be listed there with a redownload option.

Fjordson

Gary Whitta said:
Okay, looking at the comparison shots on lens of truth and I'm pretty sure the differences are the kinds of things only insane people would care about.
They are. You add everything up, PS3 version is better, no two ways about it, but I've had no issues with the 360 version after 12 hours. It looks great.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Bah, missed UPS today. Oh well, I've got Witcher 2 syndrome and will be around tomorrow to pick it up. How are the old-school Adventure game aficionados liking the game?
Loving it big time. Just came off playing two adventure games (Gemini Rue and The Next Big Thing) so this was a nice transition.

Snipes424

Gary Whitta said:
Need to look at lens of truth! I'm getting a lot of tweets from people complaining that the 360 version doesn't look as good but it's hard to sort out the truth from the defense force bullshit...

PS3 version is graphically better on all fronts + 1 disc + an exclusive case

So if you want to add to your XBL achievement score and/or REALLY want to play with the 360 controller, then play the 360 version. But the PS3 version on a technical level is the best version.

It's really that simple.

Fjordson said:
Loving it big time. Just came off playing two adventure games (Gemini Rue and The Next Big Thing) so this was a nice transition.

Great to hear. Both amazing games that I've got to finish. This is absolutely refreshing. Especially the bit where it gets a bit more difficult later on. I plan to not use any intuition. I don't care if there are long, awkward pauses.

GreekWolf

Gary Whitta said:
Er... it's not one or two nit-picky things on their own, but everything combined. Framerate, pop-in, missing geometry (buildings), absent reflections, jagged shadows and softer textures. Then, you actually have less missions to complete (PS3 exclusive) and a standard case.

All together, those are some pretty serious discrepancies, wouldn't you think? RDR and GTA4 weren't nearly that bad.

timmy01

Neo Member
Gary Whitta said:
for console war stuff? absolutely... but it goes back to the old 360-superior-port argument "if you own both systems, why wouldn't you play/buy the best version?" funny that for most when a version is better on 360 it's always "why would you want to play the inferior version if you have access to both" but when a version is better on the PS3 it's "the differences aren't even enough to care about which system you play it on"

folks who own both consoles who are justifying playing this on the 360 for whatever reason need to then keep that same reasoning in mind when other multi-console owners justify buying other "inferior" ports on the PS3 for the same/similar reasons.

With that being said, the most glaring difference to me is the lack of any SSAO whatsoever on the 360. You would never notice it without playing the two side by side, and even then it would be subtle at best in most cases... but no question looking at the LoT screens that that it adds to the image quality. Even things like missing buildings whatnot could just be popup on that frame on one system or whatever. The SSAO seems to be pretty consistent across the game though.

Chairhome

Gary Whitta said:
I still don't know why you're undecided. There is an extra case, it was the lead platform, and its on one disc vs 3. If you look at it objectively, there is more than enough to tip you to PS3. Unless you're in love with the 360 controller, I'd go PS3. Not to say that there's anything wrong with the 360 version, but to each his own.

shwimpy

So what would one be missing out on by only renting this game? (PS3 version) The exclusive case and the pre-order stuff most likely but what else?

Chairhome said:
I still don't know why you're undecided. There is an extra case, it was the lead platform, and its on one disc vs 3. If you look at it objectively, there is more than enough to tip you to PS3. Unless you're in love with the 360 controller, I'd go PS3.
Controller makes a lot of difference to me, it's basically all the PS3 positives vs controller preference.

Maybe I'll play on PS3 first, then replay on 360 for achievements!

timmy01

Neo Member
shwimpy said:
So what would one be missing out on by only renting this game? (PS3 version) The exclusive case and the pre-order stuff most likely but what else?
should be it. the only extras out NOW are the two pre-order cases, the pre-order suits/weapons, and the bonus case for PS3 (which can't be played now anyway because the store is down)

Chairhome

Gary Whitta said:
Controller makes a lot of difference to me, it's basically all the PS3 positives vs controller preference.

Maybe I'll play on PS3 first, then replay on 360 for achievements!
Well, like I said, to each his own. If you prefer playing on 360, go for it, but its hard to deny that the PS3 version is the better package (I don't know how to say it without sounding like a fanboy)

narwhalSTAB said:
Same thing here. Looks like the Phoenix warehouse screwed up and sent all our games to Albuquerque.

Got the same message. So is everyone on the west coast who preordered with amazon out of luck?

rhino4evr

I don't buy this controller nonsense...-anyone that buys the 360 version over the PS3 version is a closeted Achievement whore. Just admit it folks! It's the first step in being unchained to your gamer score!

entremet

Chairhome said:
Well, like I said, to each his own. If you prefer playing on 360, go for it, but its hard to deny that the PS3 version is the better package (I don't know how to say it without sounding like a fanboy)
Nothing wrong with that. I favor the 360 for multiplats, but I'll be getting the PS3 version of this because it's the lead SKU, no disc switching and the bonus case.

I do find the 360 controller more comfortable, but not exceedingly so.

Plissken

SuperLurker said:
Got the same message. So is everyone on the west coast who preordered with amazon out of luck?

I'm in Utah and I have the same problem, UPS tracking has it sitting in Albuquerque since 6:30 this morning. No updates since then, guess I wait until tomorrow after work to play. :(

Just starting out right now. I never thought this was supposed to be some crazy graphical showcase (I got it for the gameplay) but I'm kind of surprised that it's not looking really great. I feel like I'm waiting for texture to pop into everything but it isn't happening. The well animated faces don't look very sharp and I'm seeing twitching going on in the backgrounds and focus blurred area of the camera. It's a really good game and I don't normally notice but these things stood out at me. I imagine the PC version is beautiful. PS# version. It doesn't matter what version though, this just isn't looking that great, no comparisons involved.

xion4360

I notice a disconnect at times with the eyes.. sometimes they tilt their head or look in a different direction and the eyes dont always follow the focal point, other than that the whole performance capture is cool.

InsertNameHere said:
Still no UPS. I thought it usually gets here by now.

I'm on the case:

digbychicken.jpg

rhino4evr said:
I don't buy this controller nonsense...-anyone that buys the 360 version over the PS3 version is a closeted Achievement whore. Just admit it folks! It's the first step in being unchained to your gamer score!

As someone who actually owns both consoles now, it was controller preference that led me to get the 360 version. I certainly didn't care about multiplayer. That said, controller preference is naturally impacted by the fact that I only used a 360 controller for 5 years. It's not that there's anything necessarily objectively deficient about the SixAxis, it's just a markedly different experience.

It's a legitimate reason, I think, but YMMV.

Mr. Sam

BenjaminBirdie said:
As someone who actually owns both consoles now, it was controller preference that led me to get the 360 version. I certainly didn't care about multiplayer. That said, controller preference is naturally impacted by the fact that I only used a 360 controller for 5 years. It's not that there's anything necessarily objectively deficient about the SixAxis, it's just a markedly different experience.

Who still uses a SIXAXIS? What is this, 2007? Go get yourself a DualShock 3, bra.

jergrah

SuperLurker said:

Im in Seattle - mine was dropped off at my door today per UPS. So not all of the West Coast was impacted it would seem.

UberTag

rhino4evr said:
I'm a self-professed achievement whore and I still don't comprehend that logic.

If you own both systems... both systems have an achievement/trophy ladder... both have the same goals to clear.... yet one version has better graphical performance, extra content and the convenience of a single disc. You get that better version. Doesn't matter whether it's PS3 or Xbox 360.

This isn't a controller-sensitive title like a fighting game or a driving game. This isn't an online game where you'd want to play with your community of friends and they happen to be on one system versus the other. This is simply a matter of getting a superior product for the same price. It's a no-brainer for PS3... and I always buy my multiplatform games on X360.

As for achievements, if there are people that entrenched in the Xbox achievement system my best advice to them is to pick up a Windows Phone so they can get their fix on the go.

UberTag said:
I'm a self-professed achievement whore and I still don't comprehend that logic.

If you own both systems... both systems have an achievement/trophy ladder... both have the same goals to clear.... yet one version has better graphical performance, extra content and the convenience of a single disc. You get that better version. Doesn't matter whether it's PS3 or Xbox 360.

This isn't a controller-sensitive title like a fighting game or a driving game. This isn't an online game where you'd want to play with your community of friends and they happen to be on one system versus the other. This is simply a matter of getting a superior product for the same price. It's a no-brainer for PS3... and I always buy my multiplatform games on X360.

As for achievements, if there are people that entrenched in the Xbox achievement system my best advice to them is to pick up a Windows Phone so they can get their fix on the go.

It's a really long game to play if the controller annoys you.

Mr. Sam

BenjaminBirdie said:
Whatever that thing is that came with the Slim. It's not a SixAxis anymore?

Well, it still contains the SIXAXIS (that's how it's trademarked, that's how I'm typing it) technology but the SIXAXIS controller and the DualShock 3 are distinct, yes. The former has no rumble function, the latter does. Bam.

jackdoe

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's a really long game to play if the controller annoys you.
IF controller is that important to someone, then they wouldn't even bother looking at comparisons since their mind would be made up before hand.

Top Bottom