• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

finally got my copy.

i love how i always expect the UPS guy to have me sign, when lately all he does is leave it in my mailbox.

anyways installing now

TheExodu5

Banned
Damn, those little $5 DS3 triggers are great. I should have gotten these sooner. Guess I won't be complaining about R2 to shoot now.

Seanspeed

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
I have played about 3-4 hours so far:

The game is great, however I am a little let down by the fact that it just resets if you screw up some interogations or street cases, I also don't like the episodic chapters, I would rather have a house to save the game and a police station to pick up cases and stuff..

I sound like I'm ripping it but I'm not its really amazing I just wish it was a little more like rdr in some regards.

9/10 for me

Edit: oh and the ps3 version does have a little slowdown in some places.
See, when people start with "the game is great, BUT.....", I always have reservations. First impressions matter and can bias your initial 'score', but if the same problem persists throughout the game, it can dramatically have an effect on the enjoyment of a game.

I'm still not sold on this game just yet. I want to buy it, but I'm thinking of waiting considering all the complaints.

Fjordson

pantyhelmet said:
you end up with a coaster after the game is done, especially if you don't care about case ratings.
I don't really see the issue in that, though I'll admit I'm probably in the minority. I can't remember the last time I revisited a game. Just isn't my thing.

Just got finished with my first desk in the game. Thoroughly enjoying it so far and I'm glad to say the interrogations aren't all as obvious as the first one. Also, I'm playing on my 360 and I feel like it looks better than that one website that showed comparisons between the two systems made it look. I definitely got reflections on my car in the scene that all those pictures were taken from.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
B-Dex said:
It says saving in the lower right with spinning arrows.
Hrm, does it happen mid-case? Just want to know if I can turn off the game without losing progress. I hate when it's obtuse just because they want to maintain immersion or somesuch.

cabottemp

Banned
LyleLanley said:
Just got finished with my first desk in the game. Thoroughly enjoying it so far and I'm glad to say the interrogations aren't all as obvious as the first one. Also, I'm playing on my 360 and I feel like it looks better than that one website that showed comparisons between the two systems made it look. I definitely got reflections on my car in the scene that all those pictures were taken from.

I'm on 360 as well and it looks gorgeous.

Performance wise, whenever the title card of a case pops up it starts stuttering pretty badly for about 5 or 6 seconds, and then it's butter smooth until the next case. Weird.

So is there a way to subdue criminals by popping them in the leg or something or is killing them my only option?

I also love the little notes at the end of a case.

I unveiled a whole murder conspiracy but forgot to see the hit-and-run driver for a failure to stop. Lol

cabot said:
I'm on 360 as well and it looks gorgeous.

Performance wise, whenever the title card of a case pops up it starts stuttering pretty badly for about 5 or 6 seconds, and then it's butter smooth until the next case. Weird.

I had some bad stuttering at the very beginning of the game, but now it's gotten pretty good and it rarely stutters.

Evlar

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Hrm, does it happen mid-case? Just want to know if I can turn off the game without losing progress. I hate when it's obtuse just because they want to maintain immersion or somesuch.
It happens mid-case, yes. Can't say definitively what triggers it, I was trying to find a stopping point last night and noticed as I traveled from a crime scene to talk to a possible witness it autosaved when I reached my destination.

rvy said:
To the peeps who finished it, is there free-roaming after completing the main game or not?

There's free roaming before finishing the game. You may have to finish at least one of the desks though.

Edit:

goober said:
So is the game really that good? Or did reviewers jump the gun/review to be first a la Brink?

I'm loving it so far but then again I really love the idea of this kind of game and it's setting. If you're looking for GTA 1947 this may not be for you.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gary Whitta said:
Where did you pick them up from?

I got mine from Best Buy (in store) for the same price.

Well, I had them until my goddamn cat decided to do god-knows-what with them, now I'm back to mushy shoulder buttons.

zaidr

JambiBum said:
When you get close enough you tap the A or X button.

So how do I get close enough? Is there a way to sprint while running? I never seem to be able to close the distance...

rvy

Banned
LyleLanley said:
There's free roaming before finishing the game. You may have to finish at least one of the desks though.
That much I knew, I just don't want to be forced to play the whole game from the start in order to enjoy the city.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Evlar said:
It happens mid-case, yes. Can't say definitively what triggers it, I was trying to find a stopping point last night and noticed as I traveled from a crime scene to talk to a possible witness it autosaved when I reached my destination.

Cool. Well, that's something anyway. :)

rvy said:
That much I knew, I just don't want to be forced to play the whole game from the start in order to enjoy the city.

All I know is that the game just mentioned free roaming to me and I just finished the first desk. Not sure if it was there before.

Where do I find the code to enter the Badge Pursuit DLC? Consul's Car and Naked City both came with vouchers. Badge Pursuit came in a sealed envelope with a bunch of photo stills. Is the code hidden in there or something?

Tom Penny

Fuck it. Time to buy. I'm falling for the hype. At least I assume I haven't played a game like it so hopefully I like it even though I'm going in skeptical.

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
Where do I find the code to enter the Badge Pursuit DLC? Consul's Car and Naked City both came with vouchers. Badge Pursuit came in a sealed envelope with a bunch of photo stills. Is the code hidden in there or something?
I think the naked city is part of the badge pursuit challenge.

The voucher says ""The Naked City" and Badge Pursuit Challenge"

rs7k

Anybody else getting a glitch where the audio and the lip synching don't always match? It's random and pretty annoying. Playing on 360, didn't install (I've only got a 20GB HDD).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Gary Whitta said:
Where did you pick them up from?

They are everywhere, even in Amazon.com, just search for "PS3 triggers" or "real Triggers", but go with Gioteck since now there is other brands and shapes that sucks.

for driving or driving games I prefer them to normal triggers ( Dreamcast,Xbox like triggers) because they are wider and give pedals feel, but for shooting or shooter games they are still inferior to Xbox triggers but still million years better than the sponge triggers.

TheExodu5

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
I picked up the pdp real triggers and I don't like them at all.. call me crazy!

The ones I got were the Pelican Dual Triggers. I wonder if they feel significantly different.

edit: odd, I checked a review for the ones I got, and they don't look the same at all. Seems like they may have updated the design.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm still in media blackout for this game... seen 0 gameplay and probably 30 seconds of cutscenes. Does this game use the Euphoria engine?

What I really love about the game right now is how it's peeling back all of the hints and tutorial stuff slowly. Soon it will stop telling you about correct answers right away and stop reminding you what the music means.

iNvid02

get the ea sports comfort play pack to make the ds3 feel like a proper controller, its so good
41j2twvhjSL._SL500_.jpg

Top Bottom