• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S3 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Solid premiere, though a far cry from the blood pumping thrill ride that was the season two premiere. I'm quite looking forward to seeing how things develop re: Paige.

I actually laughed out loud at the Kama Sutra scene. The plotline with Martha swerves between hilarious and incredibly uncomfortable at the drop of a hat.

For most of the episode, I was thinking, "Hm, this is a bit of a slow build, but that's fine. The show does slow-build tension really well."

And then we get that last scene, and we're reminded that Phillip really is a scary, dangerous, not particularly "nice" guy.

When I try to sell this show to people, the thing I'm careful to emphasize is that, as that one review said, there aren't really heroes or villains: there are just people with their own understandable motivations, all of whom are some degree of miserable simply because espionage is a terrible, soul-crushing business.

Just caught up. This is a great show.

I was thinking that the last season of this show would be Stan finding out who the Jennings really are and going after them but they dropped hints in this episode that he may find out soon :eek:

New episode tonight:
Baggage

Elizabeth and Philip come together to deal with a mission gone wrong, but struggle to reconcile their ideologies; Stan welcomes a Soviet defector to America; Nina acclimates to her new living arrangements.

- Sepinwall interview: 'The Americans' star Matthew Rhys
Last week, I published the first two of the interviews I did on “The Americans” set in December, with producers Joe Weisberg and Joel Fields , and with actress Holly Taylor. Now it’s time for one of the show’s two leads, as charming Welshman(*) Matthew Rhys and I talked about where Philip’s head is at in season 3, the pros and cons of so much wig work, why Keri Russell is referred to on set as “The Hulk,” how “The A-Team” helped inform his performance as Philip, and more.

New episode in a few minutes. I probably won't get a chance to watch until a little later tonight. Enjoy the show, comrades.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
New episode in a few minutes. I probably won't get a chance to watch until a little later tonight. Enjoy the show, comrades.

giphy.gif

Niraj

Would it be wrong to say Paige is probably the most underrated kid character in a while?

Love her character to death

She's great. I love her, Sally Draper, and Loretta on Justified. I feel like a lot of other shows have really lame kids.

IronRinn

Beeman's got balls of steel.

Rhys's head shake/ugh at the end of that argument...I've done that more times than I care to say.

Niraj

That felt kind of short. I don't know why. Maybe I was just really into it lol

Niraj

I felt the same way. I was surprised to see the preview for the next episode already. But I think it's like you said, I was just really into it lol

lol yeah, it caught me by surprise too. I don't know. It wasn't bad, but I feel like that's one that would work better if you were watching the season straight through.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Thought it was a really good episode and that suitcase bit was the most unpleasant thing I've ever seen on TV. Also loved the tension of that final scene.

Niraj

Yeah, that suitcase scene was rough. They did a really good job of making that sound real(ly disgusting). I also really liked that scene with Stan and Oleg. I liked how they shot it with Stan walking away and obscuring the alley behind him.

Wow, that was something. A bit of a table setter this week for things that'll pop off later, but it's another good episode.

- YahooTV: 'The Americans' Postmortem: Showrunners Talk Bones Snapping, Spy Mommies, and All-American Candy Bars
… with Elizabeth and Philip making dead Annalise's body fit into the suitcase. The sound! The snapping sound is as haunting as anything I've ever heard on The Walking Dead.

Fields: We had to listen to that in editing like a hundred times. We were covering our eyes and ears. It's horrible.

What did you use to make those sounds?

Fields: We were afraid to ask. We put such a premium on accuracy on this show, and we said we wanted this to be real, so we just figured we shouldn't ask any questions.

Matthew Rhys told us you used a doll, a contortionist, and Annelise portrayer Gillian Alexy for the scene?

Fields: But wait, there's more! We used a mannequin, a contortionist, the actress, visual effects, and a prosthetic.

Weisberg: It was a hard, hard sequence to shoot.

Fields: There's a lot of stuff you don't see there. After all that, we edited it all down to the minimal amount of stuff you see.

Weisberg: You don't want to see the director's cut on that one.

Is it something you're going to save for the DVD?

Fields: You know what, that's a good idea.

What was the thought behind the scene and how harsh it is?

Weisberg: "You got a problem; how do you solve it?"

Fields: On one hand, as Joe says, "You got a problem; how do you solve it?" On the other, we wanted to find a way to make real the consequences of what [Philip and Elizabeth] do. Not just for the audience, but for them to experience.

It also resonates with everything that's happening with the KGB wanting to recruit Paige. As Philip says later, he doesn't want her to be in that suitcase or be the one putting someone in that suitcase.

Fields: That was a good expression. We always talk about how our characters, all of them, are not in touch with their feelings, and they're not able to express themselves well. That works well for the show. In this case, because of what he'd just been through, there was a very simple and clear way that he could express his feelings, that he could be in touch enough to say that.

I think the problem there, Elizabeth, is that Paige's country is not the one that's calling.

Yeah. Elizabeth is being thick-headed about this. It's not her fight, it's not her country.Philip wants no part of it, but can't even think straight enough to say that to her at this point.

I know I'm not the only one that noticed Tony Kornheiser from PTI.

50a1bY8.png

Yep. He said he was on the set last year. He's always been giving shoutouts to the show on PTI. Big week for TK to provide cameo's and photobombs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom