• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S3 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

Agent Beeman is still too much of a punching bag FBI agent. I get the focus of the show is the Russians in the USA but Beeman was introduced to us as a super agent and so far has been not much more than a bumbling fool.

Agent Beeman is still too much of a punching bag FBI agent. I get the focus of the show is the Russians in the USA but Beeman was introduced to us as a super agent and so far has been not much more than a bumbling fool.
In the first episode they kind of hinted that he might piece everything together when he was hearing the description of the woman which was elizabeth.

Pryce

I could see Beeman finding out who they are with a "No Country For Old Men" type chase.

Well, okay, I think it would be cool.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Beeman isn't an idiot, he's just let all his personal shit affect his professional life.

Alpende

That body in the suitcase scene was awful. It was the first time I really felt a sense of disgust watching a TV show.

Linius

Well damn, folding a body into a suitcase just like that. Why not right? That was uncomfortable to sit trough.

Great episode. The scene with Beeman and Oleg was pretty tense as well. Even though I never felt like Oleg would pull the trigger. Beeman really is in a sad place. And his replacement is some goofy guy with a weird mustache. Nina's cell mate was played by the Dutch actress Katja Herbers by the way. So typical to have her play a Belgian woman though :p

They let them do some pretty interesting things on this show, it's kind of wonderful. Wondering if those of you who were taken aback by the suitcase watch Hannibal? I'm not squeamish in the least but there was a certain sequence near the beginning of S2 that absolutely destroyed me.

Linius

I watch Hannibal. But this scene was something else. It didn't even need to be graphic. Just the sound and how calm and collected they were about it. Damn.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
They let them do some pretty interesting things on this show, it's kind of wonderful. Wondering if those of you who were taken aback by the suitcase watch Hannibal? I'm not squeamish in the least but there was a certain sequence near the beginning of S2 that absolutely destroyed me.

I watch Hannibal. But this scene was something else. It didn't even need to be graphic. Just the sound and how calm and collected they were about it. Damn.

Yeah, I don't know, I always tend to take Hannibal's violence as fantastic in an imaginary sense. This show is much more grounded to me, so something like the suitcase scene (and like Linius says, their calmness from Phillip and Elizabeth which speaks to this being almost rote to them) is much more unsettling. It wasn't especially expected, whereas in Hannibal I expect something gruesome in every episode.

Minus_Me

Great episode, brutal ending for the character.

“I don’t want her putting people into a suitcase and I don’t want her ending up in a suitcase.”

Is it me or was one of those people at the bar supposed to be Charles Wilson?

Linius

Well he does fit in there. And these guys were CIA. Wouldn't think too much of it at this point, but it could be.

Well damn, folding a body into a suitcase just like that. Why not right? That was uncomfortable to sit trough.

Great episode. The scene with Beeman and Oleg was pretty tense as well. Even though I never felt like Oleg would pull the trigger. Beeman really is in a sad place. And his replacement is some goofy guy with a weird mustache. Nina's cell mate was played by the Dutch actress Katja Herbers by the way. So typical to have her play a Belgian woman though :p

Who?

Yeah, I don't know, I always tend to take Hannibal's violence as fantastic in an imaginary sense. This show is much more grounded to me, so something like the suitcase scene (and like Linius says, their calmness from Phillip and Elizabeth which speaks to this being almost rote to them) is much more unsettling. It wasn't especially expected, whereas in Hannibal I expect something gruesome in every episode.

I loved the suitcase scene. So brutal. Those snapping noises!
Yeah Americans-wise the realism really added to it, but the (mild, early S2 Hannibal spoiler)
heroin-addict pulling himself out of the human color-wheel? Whoa. To me, anyway!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
no blood, no gore, and it was easily one of, if not the most uncomfortable thing i think i've ever seen on any show.

And i never have any problem with violence in tv show or movies.

Yeah, I have no issue with violence and gore usually but that scene was really unsettling.

I thought the scene with Beeman and Susan Misner was more disturbing.

What was disturbing about it?

Nina's cell mate was played by the Dutch actress Katja Herbers by the way. So typical to have her play a Belgian woman though :p

Ahhh, that's who that was! I kept trying to place her but I kept on blanking. I recognize her from WGN's Manhattan.

Wondering if those of you who were taken aback by the suitcase watch Hannibal?

Hannibal has some pretty icky things but you kind of go into that show expecting the macabre. With The Americans, scenes like the one last night are pretty rare so it came across as especially stark given the show's realistic nature.

scabro

hannibal had some brutal shit like the bee lady or the mill scene but the way they broke her limbs and the shot of the girl contorted with her broken leg bent over by her head was just fuckin disturbing. It seemed so realistic.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I knew I recognized her from something. She plays Helen Prins on the WGN show Manhattan. Just got done binge watching that last week, and I'm pretty sure her character is Belgian in that too. Haha

Good episode,and yeah...that suitcase scene was uncomfortable to watch, and I'm far from squeamish.

I do wonder if they are building up something with Elizabeth's jaw. It has been mentioned so many times that I feel like it is way more than a continuity thing between episodes. My wacky theory is
that by the mid point or end of the season that is going to be what tips Beeman off that something might be up with them. I feel like it would be a good way to point him in their direction without it being overwhelming evidence.

Alpende

hannibal had some brutal shit like the bee lady or the mill scene but the way they broke her limbs and the shot of the girl contorted with her broken leg bent over by her head was just fuckin disturbing. It seemed so realistic.

This. They also show a second or two of her just laying there with her legs and arms in positions they shouldn't be in.

I do wonder if they are building up something with Elizabeth's jaw. It has been mentioned so many times that I feel like it is way more than a continuity thing between episodes. My wacky theory is
that by the mid point or end of the season that is going to be what tips Beeman off that something might be up with them. I feel like it would be a good way to point him in their direction without it being overwhelming evidence.

I think she's going to get a bad infection.

Btw, Tony finally gave himself a shoutout at the end of Tuesday's PTI episode.

Edit:

Kornheiser said the show’s stars, Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys, had no idea who he was. Later, Russell found out that Kornheiser is on ESPN.

“She comes over to me and says, ‘Would you do me a big favor? Would you take a picture for me, because I’ve got a friend who watches ESPN all the time and he probably knows you,’” Kornheiser said.

Hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom