• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S3 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Matt Zoller Seitz for NY Mag: The Story Behind The Americans’ Excruciating, Beautifully Shot Tooth-Pulling Scene
The third episode of The Americans’ third season built toward one of the most excruciatingly brutal scenes in the show's history: Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell) and her husband Philip (Matthew Rhys) in a laundry room, extracting Elizabeth's damaged tooth without anesthesia. Titled "Open House," and scripted by Stuart Zicherman, the hour was directed by Thomas Schlamme, a veteran of TV drama and comedy and a regular on The Americans. He spoke to Vulture about the specific challenges of shooting a scene of such intensity.

Thanks for posting the rest of the stuff, Niraj. Most appreciated.

jond76

Banned
I wonder if Phillip will be pushed toward defecting again because of Paige... He's really going to start resenting the KGB if they keep pushing it.

scabro

Good call. This episode was so tense that I didn't even think of it. Normally when I'm watching TV I always see the gifs rolling out in my mind. I'm terrible like that. I'll make one tomorrow.

Anyways, what a great episode. The tail sequence was so damn good. Some dentist stuff in the garage for your weekly cringe moment. That moment with Paige and Henry, so awkward. The FBI guys still mentioning that they got kicked the living hell out of them by a woman (the size of his grandma). Oh and there was someone's butt in there somewhere, I remember that :p

keri russell so fine, i wouldnt complain if you gif'd that

and the tooth scene wasn't nearly as bad for me as the suitcase scene last episode. chase was great.

This season is off to an amazing start

I had to turn my head away from the tooth scene, almost as uncomfortable as the ear scene in Reservoir Dogs

Blader

Only just caught up on the second episode, but holy hell, folding the body into the suitcase made me cringe. There are very acts of violence in TV/movies that actually bother me but damn if that wasn't one.

The only thing crazier in that scene was realizing my parents used to have the exact same suitcase!

IronRinn

Honestly if you read what the director has to say and look at the way it's shot, the tooth scene is basically make-up sex.

I'm seriously kind of in awe of what Russell and Rhys did in that scene and the one preceding it.

Honestly if you read what the director has to say and look at the way it's shot the tooth scene is basically make-up sex.

I'm seriously kind of in awe of what Russell and Rhys did in that scene and the one preceding it.

The closeups on the eyes, the sounds and the way they looked at each other had me thinking that was what the director was going for. It's meant to be sexual. Not an easy scene to pull off.

Linius

AggravatingWeirdCreature.gif

Need text to go with this, or a different loop?

I'll just put the butt behind this link. Not sure what the policy is on that.

AngryMoth

Show continuing to be great this season. My only complaint is that I wish they would wrap up the Martha/Clark storyline, it's dragged on way too long imo.

Linius

Show continuing to be great this season. My only complaint is that I wish they would wrap up the Martha/Clark storyline, it's dragged on way too long imo.

I suppose they got something planned for that. Though I have to admit I sometimes even forget about that storyline existing. I do wonder how 'Clark' manages to live that second life. Sometimes you see him wake up there. But mostly he's just at home. But yet Martha is as serious as to wanting kids with Clark and everything. Love is a strange thing.

I assume it'll get at least a fourth season.
It gets a decent DVR boost, and Landgraf noted earlier this year at the TCA event:
What is the long-term prognosis for "The Americans," a critical favorite, but not a huge hit? "I think it'll be at least five," Landgraf says of the likely season length. "I sure would like to see the Emmys finally step up to take notice," he says. "We're not really a channel that's trying to be the highest rated channel on television," he says. They're trying to be the best channel, so the network can support shows that push them to that goal.
If it hemorrhages viewers like The Bridge, past a certain point there isn't much he can do. But like you, I think it's fine for now.

There's no way to spin a 0.29 demo as average. That makes it the lowest rated drama on FX outside of The Bridge (RIP). It even got out rated by Sunny on FXX that night.

I think Landgraf's whole "It's getting five seasons" is going to be really tested.

If I was him I'd make one more slightly larger order of 16-18 episodes and then spread them out over the next two springs.

Linius

Even though I've been watching TV shows for years now I still don't know how to read these ratings :p

Oh well, let's hope it survives and the writers get the space to give it a good ending. Like with Justified. RIP The Bridge indeed.

Anyone got any possible reasons as to why the ratings are so poor by the way? This show gets good reviews and it's just one of the best drama series out there at the moment. Meanwhile The Walking Dead is scoring big time. This world :(

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Even though I've been watching TV shows for years now I still don't know how to read these ratings :p

Oh well, let's hope it survives and the writers get the space to give it a good ending. Like with Justified. RIP The Bridge indeed.

Anyone got any possible reasons as to why the ratings are so poor by the way? This show gets good reviews and it's just one of the best drama series out there at the moment. Meanwhile The Walking Dead is scoring big time. This world :(

Hard to say man. People just don't like "slow" shows I guess. I only have three friends that watch it, it kind of sucks. Usually when I ask if people watch it they say, "We watched the first couple episodes...it was kind of slow." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saty

Was hoping for ratings that includes DVR for this season so far because FX seem to prioritize that more.

Hard to say man. People just don't like "slow" shows I guess. I only have three friends that watch it, it kind of sucks. Usually when I ask if people watch it they say, "We watched the first couple episodes...it was kind of slow." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I find the whole thing fascinating. FX's strategy of absolutely blanketing the airwaves with promotion prior to the start of the season clearly works since the premiere got a 0.63 demo. The next two weeks when it fell to a 0.35 then a 0.29 are the problem.

Either everyone is DVRing it, or some notable number of people tried it out again and then bailed.

Finally caught up.

Holy shit. As if this show needed any more reason to solidify itself as the best show currently on TV, the
chase and tooth scene's cinematography was utterly exceptional.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think Landgraf's whole "It's getting five seasons" is going to be really tested.

I don't - he's always bragging about FX being "As good as HBO!" (as though that even means anything anymore), and The Americans will be the only drama worth a damn* on the channel after Justified ends in a few weeks.

*Given the nature of Fargo, they can't exactly rely on it airing in the same spot every year, or even that it will air every year.

They've already got their work cut out for them in trying to find replacements for Sons of Anarchy and Justified without having to find a replacement for The Americans as well.

I don't - he's always bragging about FX being "As good as HBO!" (as though that even means anything anymore), and The Americans will be the only drama worth a damn* on the channel after Justified ends in a few weeks.

*Given the nature of Fargo, they can't exactly rely on it airing in the same spot every year, or even that it will air every year.

They've already got their work cut out for them in trying to find replacements for Sons of Anarchy and Justified without having to find a replacement for The Americans as well.

Yeah, for a cable channel like FX, the prestige from a critical darling can count for a lot. The thing about The Bridge was that, in addition to bleeding viewers like crazy in season 2, it didn't have the kind of overwhelming critical praise that The Americans does.

Obviously, it'd be great if the ratings were better, but...so long as the show isn't super expensive, I could easily see FX choosing to keep it around as a prestige thing. That's part of what continues to save Hannibal on NBC (along with the fact that it's dirt cheap for the network thanks to a fairly low budget and a joint production deal.)

Saty

I don't think it's a slow show so it's difficult for me to accept that as a reason for the lower ratings. If i had to say, non-insignificant portions of the show being in a foreign language drives some people away.

DominoKid

a lot of this stuff is ratings repellent.
- nonromanticized look at the 80s
- russian spies as the protagonists
- it's not a slow show but it's not exciting in a way that really hits large blocks of people
- about 30% of most episodes being in russian (if i had to estimate)
- the gruesome aspects of the show are brutal and disconcerting instead of entertaining

it's really too down to earth for it's own good. that makes it a better show but it won't be successful.

as for this weeks ep, after the gruesome shit they've had to deal with the last 2 weeks i just cannot understand why liz wants paige to join the spy program. at some point phil just needs to list out all the fucked up shit they do on a regular basis because that's the only way liz will concede i think.

Pryce

I'm not worried about the show at all. No matter how bad the ratings get, FX would never cancel a critic darling like that. It's FX's Mad Men (but will a whole lot less emmy's).

Especially considering the show only has one or two seasons left anyway.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah, for a cable channel like FX, the prestige from a critical darling can count for a lot.

And when you have a critical darling, the smart thing to do is to hold on to it - darlings don't just come around every day. Even 'The Best of the Best' (HBO, Showtime, FX, AMC, etc.) only manage to land one once every few years, despite their best efforts.

The thing about The Bridge was that, in addition to bleeding viewers like crazy in season 2, it didn't have the kind of overwhelming critical praise that The Americans does.

I totally support their cancellation of The Bridge - it wasn't a very good show and the ratings were a disaster. They really had no reason to try to keep it on the air.

Linius

I think anyone who didn't think The Bridge was great didn't mind their cancellation. But have a heart Ratsky, there were people on this board who liked it a lot :(

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think anyone who didn't think The Bridge was great didn't mind their cancellation. But have a heart Ratsky, there were people on this board who liked it a lot :(

During my hypothetical stint as FX president, I'd be willing to make the tough choices. :(

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
It's not really a slow show, but people do perceive it that way for whatever reason. Watch that one NBC show that looked like a modern day ripoff of this do better ratings-wise :/

I'm not saying The Bridge was amazing, but I can't believe Tyrant got renewed while that was canceled. Tyrant was (imo) absolute shit. This is me just speaking from the heart without taking ratings or whatever else into account :p

Linius

Tyrant has been the first FX drama series in quite some time I couldn't get trough. Terrible troughout. Still need to catch up on The Strain though.

I love the Americans, it really shows a different view on the waning decade of the Cold War. A lot of it is very intense, and some of the violence is almost brutal in its execution.

I guess part of it is that every girl in the show is very attractive.

a lot of this stuff is ratings repellent.
- nonromanticized look at the 80s
- russian spies as the protagonists
- it's not a slow show but it's not exciting in a way that really hits large blocks of people
- about 30% of most episodes being in russian (if i had to estimate)
- the gruesome aspects of the show are brutal and disconcerting instead of entertaining

it's really too down to earth for it's own good. that makes it a better show but it won't be successful.

as for this weeks ep, after the gruesome shit they've had to deal g the last 2 weeks i just cannot understand why liz wants paige to join the spy program. at some point phil just needs to list out all the fucked up shit they do on a regular basis because that's the only way liz will concede i think.
This post deserves a lot of love. Great points.

The biggest issue in terms of getting a wide audience, I think, is simply that it's not a "comforting" show. It was never in a million years going to get NCIS ratings, because it doesn't offer that kind of...strings-free, uncomplicated escapism.

It's a show where there aren't heroes to cheer for or villains to hate; pretty much everyone is just a human being acting out of understandable motives with the information that they have. Every time you think you're about to get a handle on something, the show shifts the terrain beneath you, complicating things again. It's emotionally murky and uncomfortable in a way that likely hits home for lots of people in a way that the more fantastical conflicts of something like Game of Thrones probably don't.

It also doesn't glamorize espionage. These aren't super-cool spies with awesome gadgets. They're lonely, paranoid, miserable people who are in the process of being chewed up by the remorseless thresher that is the intelligence trade. They're incredibly sympathetic characters, but they're not "cool" characters. They're no Don Draper to (misguidedly) idolize here.

That, plus the methodical pacing, unromantic view of both the 1980s and American government and foreign policy, and so on pretty much means it was always going to be a relatively niche show.

Geist-

The biggest issue in terms of getting a wide audience, I think, is simply that it's not a "comforting" show. It was never in a million years going to get NCIS ratings, because it doesn't offer that kind of...strings-free, uncomplicated escapism.

It's a show where there aren't heroes to cheer for or villains to hate; pretty much everyone is just a human being acting out of understandable motives with the information that they have. Every time you think you're about to get a handle on something, the show shifts the terrain beneath you, complicating things again. It's emotionally murky and uncomfortable in a way that likely hits home for lots of people in a way that the more fantastical conflicts of something like Game of Thrones probably don't.

It also doesn't glamorize espionage. These aren't super-cool spies with awesome gadgets. They're lonely, paranoid, miserable people who are in the process of being chewed up by the remorseless thresher that is the intelligence trade. They're incredibly sympathetic characters, but they're not "cool" characters. They're no Don Draper to (misguidedly) idolize here.

That, plus the methodical pacing, unromantic view of both the 1980s and American government and foreign policy, and so on pretty much means it was always going to be a relatively niche show.
You nailed it.

Lunar FC

I love the Americans, it really shows a different view on the waning decade of the Cold War. A lot of it is very intense, and some of the violence is almost brutal in its execution.

I guess part of it is that every girl in the show is very attractive.

uhh...martha?

New episode tonight:
Dimebag

Philip faces a moral dilemma while developing an asset; Philip and Elizabeth's friction escalates; Stan develops a theory with serious repercussions for national security; Paige makes a surprising birthday wish.

- THR interview with Matthew Rhys
What’s different about Phillip in season three?

What I’ve tried to filter in a little bit more this season — and you saw a flash of it last season — is that the pressure of what he’s doing is continually building and building. I liked when he ripped the Bible last season because, in my head, it didn’t have to do with Paige really, it was just the larger manifestation of a long time of suppressing a number of things.

Oftentimes, your character comes across as the more easily relatable one compared to Elizabeth. Do you hear that from viewers a lot?

I like it best when viewers come up to us and say, “I really see her point of view and I really see your point of view.” That’s, to me, when the show pops. When you present two anti-heros to begin with that have slightly unsavory views on life, I love it when ultimately you conflict an audience and they’re not quite sure what to think or what to do. That provocation to make people think, “I don’t know where I lie.”
- Seat42F interview with Annet Mahendru
Looking at Nina’s motivations, for Season 1, it was purely about survival, and then in Season 2 she felt that she could play both sides. You didn’t know what her ultimate goal would be because she could easily go to either side. What’s her motivation this season? Is it survival? Is it trying to find a way out or maybe trying to find a loophole to escape?

ANNET: I feel like she’s been doing everything that she’s been told to do. She’s been a really good student, and that has gotten her places. And now she’s, I think, really discovering who she really is and, I think, what her beliefs really are and what, maybe, what she wants. I think maybe we’ll really meet her now, this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom