• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Did you listen to the announcement? They're planning on monthlyish patches up until the expansion/as necessary, but most of the staff was gone on vacation after release of the game.

No didn't. I've just been checking reddit and twitter periodically, where questions about the PS4/Vita patch pop up pretty much daily and stay unanswered.

autoduelist

Does Monster Manual need to be unlocked? Oddly enough I don't think I've seen it yet.

I believe it's Judas/Sheol. I'm working on that next. Just finished up my Lazarus runs, don't know why but he was super annoying. I was getting terrible drops -- devil rooms would just have red chests with spiders, i'd get junk like midas touch w/o any complementary skills, etc.

Almost done. Well, except for the vita patch needed.

Don't think the Habbit procs when using the method. I had that and the Sharp Plug at the same time and Habbit never gave me a single tick when using Epic Fetis to replenish my health.

Glad someone mentioned spikes/fire to solve that.

Also - what exactly is the 'secret room' exploit? I think it has something to do with entering a populated room from a secret room and exiting back through to trigger something. Though i suppose you'd need lots of bombs or xray vision? But what exactly does doing this trigger?

It has been a month since release now and the Vita/PS4 versions still don't work properly, with no word on a patch. Terrible support. But yeah let's announce an expansion and ignore all questions.

It's only been a month, and Thanksgiving was in the middle of it. Give 'em a break. Patches aren't always as simple as you'd think, and then there is QA, and whatever process Sony has in place.

I'm still waiting on my Luftrausers and TxK patches, so there's a real wait. (both games are still awesome and highly recommended though).

Camwi

I heard there were issues with the Vita version of Rebirth. Is this still the case?

I'm thinking of uploading my save from my PS4 to my Vita as I'll probably get more playtime during work breaks than at home, sad as that may sound.

Haunted

So....like....is there any reason why I shouldn't be using Azazel now?
You get items and unlocks for completing runs with other characters.

But yeah, if you really want to have a successful run, I think he is the strongest starting character by far.

It's possible he'll be nerfed in a future update.

ZeroCoin

Just discovered this thread, but I'm loving this game. Is there a list of spoiler free tasks that I should be trying to do? I'm typically playing on a Vita and I think I've unlocked all of the characters on the selection screen. I've beaten the heart either 8 or 9 times, and based on the non hidden trophy list I still have at least a few more runs to do. But clearly there's a lot more in the game to be done.

Also, what exactly are all the issues with the PS4 and Vita versions? Even though I've owned the original + expansion on PC for quite some time, I've really only put the time in on the console versions and haven't come across anything that seemed to be broken. I suppose ignorance is bliss though.

SerTapTap

I heard there were issues with the Vita version of Rebirth. Is this still the case?

Also, what exactly are all the issues with the PS4 and Vita versions? Even though I've owned the original + expansion on PC for quite some time, I've really only put the time in on the console versions and haven't come across anything that seemed to be broken. I suppose ignorance is bliss though.

Both Playstation versions
Missing patch 1.02, I think this means real plat god is still impossible for now as is Dead Boy, and at least one item unlock.
Rare crashes. I think these are on PC too. I've crashed about four times total now, 130 secrets unlocked, no idea how long I've played. A lot.
Trophies don't consistently unlock. Items in game should unlock fine though, and sometimes refullfilling the conditions DOES cause the trophy to unlock. Hopefully these will mostly be retroactively awarded via patch but I'm not sure

Vita:
Occasional microstutter
Some effects cause FPS drops or slowdown, like lots of Creep
Gamma level is low and not adjustable, game is hard to play in bright sunlight and curse of darkness is pretty hard to play in moderately bright rooms.
Map controls are poorly thought out, touchscreen opens map, but also activates pills, if you touch the corner while trying to open the map you might accidentally take a pill/card. It's easy to avoid, but also easy to forget if you're used to other versions.

The Vita version isn't perfect, but if you could stand the original BOI's framerate on PC you'll be fine. Usually the Vita version slows down like an arcade game, so you should still be able to react and play, I've completed a few runs and it's quite playable, but not perfect performance-wise (where the PS4 is, bugs aside).

If you guys are talking about the cross save bug it's been fixed, upload/download is a manual choice now.

ZeroCoin

Gamma level is low and not adjustable, game is hard to play in bright sunlight and curse of darkness is pretty hard to play in moderately bright rooms.
Map controls are poorly thought out, touchscreen opens map, but also activates pills, if you touch the corner while trying to open the map you might accidentally take a pill/card. It's easy to avoid, but also easy to forget if you're used to other versions.

Those definitely make sense. I have noticed the slowdown in crowded rooms with certain items (splash damage tears) for sure. The brightness was definitely an issue as well, but I wasn't sure if it was a Vita 1000 model issue or the fact that my brightness is typically low to save battery. Those darn spiders in dark rooms were a constant annoyance.

Thanks for the info.

Anustart

9407C1978327FAF2371D96594B3A2899A70D686D

Messing around now that I've 100%'d it. Nothing can come near you with this lol. Quad Shot + Ludovico + Godhead + Sacred Heart. Another great romp through Isaac. Can't wait for the expansion, but it's time to put it to bed for a while!

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Both Playstation versions
Missing patch 1.02, I think this means real plat god is still impossible for now as is Dead Boy, and at least one item unlock.
Rare crashes. I think these are on PC too. I've crashed about four times total now, 130 secrets unlocked, no idea how long I've played. A lot.
Trophies don't consistently unlock. Items in game should unlock fine though, and sometimes refullfilling the conditions DOES cause the trophy to unlock. Hopefully these will mostly be retroactively awarded via patch but I'm not sure

Vita:
Occasional microstutter

The Vita version isn't perfect, but if you could stand the original BOI's framerate on PC you'll be fine. Usually the Vita version slows down like an arcade game, so you should still be able to react and play, I've completed a few runs and it's quite playable, but not perfect performance-wise (where the PS4 is, bugs aside).

If you guys are talking about the cross save bug it's been fixed, upload/download is a manual choice now.
Weird, I've been playing the Vita version (Europe) and the only issue I had was a missing ending that got reinstated after the first patch. No crashes, no glitched trophies. 109 secrets. And according to the trophy rarity percentage, people have achieved Dead Boy on both the European and American version.
And once again, you can customize the controls on Vita. I use triangle for the map, square for card/pill/rune and it works great.

And I messed up another Dead Boy opportunity thanks to the bomb fly familiar I picked up. Bah. :(

mothball

Vita:
Occasional microstutter

Man, my last run I got both Juicy Sack and Headless Baby early on and after that I probably averaged 20 FPS in every room that wasn't empty. It's especially weird since it's only running at 480x272.

sn00zer

I cant play as anyone besides Azrael..... he's too fun....quick kill and low health is so much more fun than chipping through the first levels with tears

Anustart

I cant play as anyone besides Azrael..... he's too fun....quick kill and low health is so much more fun than chipping through the first levels with tears

Big rooms in basement/cellar 1/2 are the epitome of crappy-ness. Oh here's a big room, have fun over the next 5 minutes slowly chipping away at these enemies that can take 7 hits to kill.

SerTapTap

Weird, I've been playing the Vita version (Europe) and the only issue I had was a missing ending that got reinstated after the first patch. No crashes, no glitched trophies. 109 secrets. And according to the trophy rarity percentage, people have achieved Dead Boy on both the European and American version.
And once again, you can customize the controls on Vita. I use triangle for the map, square for card/pill/rune and it works great.

And I messed up another Dead Boy opportunity thanks to the bomb fly familiar I picked up. Bah. :(

Oh, had no idea you could remap, I mainly play on PS4. I'll put map on a button...I don't want to lose the face buttons though, I like those for anti grav tears/chocolate milk, hmm.

Man, my last run I got both Juicy Sack and Headless Baby early on and after that I probably averaged 20 FPS in every room that wasn't empty. It's especially weird since it's only running at 480x272.

Really hope they do some performance tweaks on Vita. I'm sure with some optimization and maybe downgrades in how puddles fade it could hit a more consistent 60.

He's fun but it gets tiring, personally I love Judas for making quick work of the early floors while still having tears which can get very interesting. Isaac is still the best due to D6's game breaking potential or at least the rerolling bad items into possibly good ones potential.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok seriously what the fuck are you supposed to do when you're fighting isaac and he does that light attack that goes from corner to corner? Usually the opposite corner to where the attack came from is safe ut sometimes it isn't. 3 times in a row he did that attack just now andI wasn't safe. Literally nowhere on the screen was safe from he attack. How is this fair?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ok seriously what the fuck are you supposed to do when you're fighting isaac and he does that light attack that goes from corner to corner? Usually the opposite corner to where the attack came from is safe ut sometimes it isn't. 3 times in a row he did that attack just now andI wasn't safe. Literally nowhere on the screen was safe from he attack. How is this fair?
There's a corner that is safe. I think it depends on where it starts from.

SerTapTap

Go into the opposite corner, then slip between the colums. There's always safe spots, but the exact opposite corner isn't always safe (it usually is though), but it does always give you the most time to react to the move. Also, certain patterns hilariously fail to hit the entire bottom row.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
There's a corner that is safe. I think it depends on where it starts from.
Usually that safe corner is the opposite corner. Sometimes it isn't and there's not really any way to know when it isn't. Like I said 3 times I stood in the opposite corner the attack came from but it still hit me anyway.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Usually that safe corner is the opposite corner. Sometimes it isn't and there's not really any way to know when it isn't. Like I said 3 times I stood in the opposite corner the attack came from but it still hit me anyway.
There must be a tell because every LP I've watched the player always goes right to the correct spot and never gets hurt. So something must telegraph it.

SerTapTap

There must be a tell because every LP I've watched the player always goes right to the correct spot and never gets hurt. So something must telegraph it.

Just go to the corner, then watch the columns, they descend in a set linear pattern and you can tell where they will/won't appear by mentally extrapolating. Stand between the gaps but be sure not to cross where one is about to appear. In a pinch, just stay in the corner because moving too much without a plan will get you hurt and the corner is more often safe than not.

Chronoja

Just go to the corner, then watch the columns, they descend in a set linear pattern and you can tell where they will/won't appear by mentally extrapolating. Stand between the gaps but be sure not to cross where one is about to appear. In a pinch, just stay in the corner because moving too much without a plan will get you hurt and the corner is more often safe than not.

You don't need to watch and extrapolate on anything....when he teleports move to either of the lower corners. If the beams start above you, stay put you are already safe, if they spawn on the opposite side of the room, move up to the above corner which will always safe. It's a binary choice of stay or move up. Getting caught out in the middle of the room just requires you to think a bit faster, but you will usually be moving to the upper corner opposite the starting point so you don't cut across their path.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I almost never get hit by that attack except when I tried the corner method. I just run slightly off from the middle of the screen and it misses every time unless I'm moving.

David___

Banned
So I finally found out what happens when you get Polyphemus and Proptosis and a ton of damage ups.

2ZPbD8M.jpg

If anyone wants the seed on PS4 its Q4FK-Q7C3

Sendou

Got hell of a start to Eden run. Forget Me Now and the first floor was Cellar XL.

Later died to It Lives anyway but so it goes.

roxya

Big rooms in basement/cellar 1/2 are the epitome of crappy-ness. Oh here's a big room, have fun over the next 5 minutes slowly chipping away at these enemies that can take 7 hits to kill.

Large room full of red spiders and those spiders that split into 2 spiders after killing them? Fuck that.

Haunted

All the insane hoops you have to jump through to 100% this game (which I'll not be doing) just seem so contrary to Edmund's personal thoughts (or rather, what he said in Indie Game The Movie). Like that light-switch flipping game they made where more stuff appears in the room the more times you flip the light and that's all it does, and how he said that's what a lot of games feel like nowadays and how sad that is. The game itself is still fantastic, but trying to 100% Isaac just feels like flipping that light-switch over and over. Tons of work for very little reward.
Oh man, you missed when the Polaroid was actually a completely random trinket drop in the Wrath of the Lamb, so you were never guaranteed to reach the final level even on the most flawless runs. >_>

I do agree that some of these completely luck-based design decisions go against his personal design philosophy, but I suppose that for the 100% completionists, he at some point just said "fuck it" and made it as infurating as possible to get there because there are people out there that are crazy enough to do it anyway. Might as well make it as hard as possible to do for that small percentage of people. If viewed that way, it seems like such an Edmund thing to do. :D

Haunted

If it goes upper left -> lower right, the lower left corner is safe. If it goes upper right -> lower left, the lower right corner is safe.

Really easy to dodge once you know that pattern.

BigAT

So what does everyone's "do not pickup" list look like? Off the top of my head:

-both milk items
-Fire Mind (the random explosions just aren't worth it, I did way too much damage to myself)
-Bob's Brain (for similiiar reasons as above)

SerTapTap

So what does everyone's "do not pickup" list look like? Off the top of my head:

-both milk items
-Fire Mind (the random explosions just aren't worth it, I did way too much damage to myself)
-Bob's Brain (for similiiar reasons as above)

Chocolate milk is awesome!

Just:
Soy milk
Bob's Brain
Fire Mind
More than one "tears reduced massively" items, eg Monstro's Lung AND Mutant Spider
Dr Fetus unless I have an extremely high damage build
Strange Attractor

Additionally there are several Devil Deal only items I ignore (any familiar that's not Lil Brim stone or Demon Baby) and a few specific combos I avoid

I might add Ipecac, but I haven't tried it outside of Suicide King

edit: oh right, cursed eye. I would never even consider picking up that awful thing on purpose

My ban list:
Nothing(except for Spacebar items when I have a good one already)
Bob's Brain is too good if you know how to use it properly, i.e. once you shoot it once, you can keep holding an arrow key/joystick in the same direction and it won't fire again, to allow for controlled bursts of the Brain

aku:jiki

I want Soy Milk to be good but it just takes too much for it to not suck. I gave it a final chance and when Gurdy took 10 minutes of sustained fire to finally go down I just quit out.

I don't take Cursed Eye, Tiny Planet, Anti-Grav or Strange Attractor either, as they never contribute to my playstyle in any way. Everything else is cool.

(any familiar that's not Lil Brim stone or Demon Baby)
Rotten Baby though...

SerTapTap

I want Soy Milk to be good but it just takes too much for it to not suck. I gave it a final chance and when Gurdy took 10 minutes of sustained fire to finally go down I just quit out.

I don't take Cursed Eye, Tiny Planet, Anti-Grav or Strange Attractor either, as they never contribute to my playstyle in any way. Everything else is cool.

Rotten Baby though...

Soy Milk can theoretically be good but it would require so many items and damage-ups have to be taken AFTER it, it's just awful 95% of the time. I guess I should try Rotten Baby, but from what I saw in Family Man it's very slow to start attacking and I can't see it being of much value in a normal run. Maybe if I got it very early.

Anti-grav is great with Brimstone (full brimstone, not Azazel's version) and if you have high enough tears already it works basically like Chocolate milk in that you can fire as fast as you can tap the button (with no damage reduction).

Forgot tiny planet, yeah it usually sucks. Great with Brimstone, awful with most anything else that doesn't home in. It's a cute idea at least, just hard to use. Cursed Eye is just awful.

SerTapTap

Well, it's easier to not be teleported if you're not always charging. The charge time is super short as well. Though I couldn't imagine lumps vs cursed eye.

The charge time is also variant (depends on tear speed as always) and extremely annoying. Unlike Brimstone it's very hard to see on your character model when it's done charging (only visible from 2 angles). And it appears to do no more damage than 4 tear shots otherwise would, while firing as fast or slower than 4 shots would, while removing your ability to instantly fire. It really only has the minor benefit of hitting a target a few times at once, but it's still no Monstro's Lung. Even if it didn't teleport you it'd be one of the worst tear modifiers.

I use the opposite TOP corner, not the bottom.

I've probably killed Isaac 40+ times using this method and I never get hit unless my speed is too low to make it to the corner in time.

Soy Milk can theoretically be good but it would require so many items and damage-ups have to be taken AFTER it, it's just awful 95% of the time. I guess I should try Rotten Baby, but from what I saw in Family Man it's very slow to start attacking and I can't see it being of much value in a normal run. Maybe if I got it very early.
Rotten Baby's attack rate is controlled: it simply creates a fly, if it doesn't already have one, whenever you fire. It can lock on to enemies if it gets close enough, then you can back off and the flies will travel (not 100% reliable but works most of the time). The flies are 2x your damage and affected by Hive Mind (and BFF? not sure) like any other fly, naturally.

Celegus

I've probably killed Isaac 40+ times using this method and I never get hit unless my speed is too low to make it to the corner in time.

I'll have to try that. I always go to the complete opposite corner of where it starts and end up getting hit half the time.

SerTapTap

Rotten Baby's attack rate is controlled: it simply creates a fly, if it doesn't already have one, whenever you fire. It can lock on to enemies if it gets close enough, then you can back off and the flies will travel (not 100% reliable but works most of the time). The flies are 2x your damage and affected by Hive Mind (and BFF? not sure) like any other fly, naturally.

I found it really wonky when playing Family Man. Sometimes the fly would almost instantly charge at a nearby enemy, sometimes I had to kite around for like 30 seconds for it to even take notice while dangerously close to an enemy. Once it's aggroed it attacks fast, but it seems really weird about picking when to attack, not sure what's up with that.

Anustart

Yeah, rotten baby isn't worth the heart it costs. The fly will sit around doing nothing a lot of the time and the damage is negligible most of the time. I'll argue all day that almost all baby's are completely worthless most of the time and not worth taking.

SerTapTap

Okay I have now heard to hide in the bottom opposite corner, top opposite corner, AND the bottom same corner from that same attack and am very confused.

Yeah, rotten baby isn't worth the heart it costs. The fly will sit around doing nothing a lot of the time and the damage is negligible most of the time. I'll argue all day that almost all baby's are completely worthless most of the time and not worth taking.

Like I said demon and lil brim are really the only especially good ones. Rainbow Baby is okay but not a devil room item. Lil brim pierces and does good enough damage if you don't already have a powerful, piercing attack, and demon baby has a pretty good fire rate and great accuracy, if only at short range.

Leezard

Okay I have now heard to hide in the bottom opposite corner, top opposite corner, AND the bottom same corner from that same attack and am very confused.

There are several types of the "same" attack. When Isaac does, for example, the top-right to bottom-left variant it is sometimes safe to stand in the bottom left and sometimes safe to stand in the bottom right. I haven't been able to tell the difference between the startup animations of these two types.

You guys are sleeping on Rotten Baby. I don't have any of the problems you guys mentioned and I specifically used him to beat Family Man without relying on any other familiars. I don't know what to say other than make sure you get him, not Isaac, close to the enemy.

The ultimate reason he's the superior baby is the fact that he keeps scaling with you, while babbys like Li'l Brimstone and Demon Baby do not. When you're fighting The Lamb, Rotten will still be doing good damage while you have no reason to even let Li'l Brim shoot.

Top Bottom