• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Chesskid1

Banned
ok for polaroid

once you get it if you have a bunch of red hearts and spirit hearts, you want to get your red hearts down to half a heart and you'll get a few seconds invincibility everytime you get hit? is that right?

just making sure. no one ever explains this in let's play

Finally beat
Isaac
with
???
. I had a pretty much ideal run, I found Dark Bum in the first treasure room. Infestation 2 was a huge help as well. Right before I entered the boss room for
Isaac
, I popped Card Against Humanity while holding the petrified poop, so I had max health going into the final fight.

Now the fun part with the D6 begins.

Anustart

Find Goat Head on basement 1, end run with every damn angel room item except godhead.

Although it wasn't a total loss, the resulting build 1 shot Blue Baby. And Isaac looks like some kind of alien mallow from mario rpg.

34D2CBB9B2FE2C1650EB00B4EB0A846A9230591E

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Finding playthrough with ??? way harder in Rebirth than on the original.

I could swear HP UP items gave you red hearts, so you could break his shitty soul heart curse.

NOT ANYMORE!

So deflating to get a soul heart when you pick up a Milk Carton now.

Anustart

Finding playthrough with ??? way harder in Rebirth than on the original.

I could swear HP UP items gave you red hearts, so you could break his shitty soul heart curse.

NOT ANYMORE!

So deflating to get a soul heart when you pick up a Milk Carton now.

Nah, hp ups gave soul's in the original too.

David___

Banned
Monster Manual
(gives random familiar) +
Dr. Fetus/Pyro
(infinite bombs) +
Pyromaniac
(bombs don't hurt, but it registers the hit) + [
Nun's Habit
(recharges item upon getting hit) = infinite chance to get the familiar you want.

Don't think the Habbit procs when using the method. I had that and the Sharp Plug at the same time and Habbit never gave me a single tick when using Epic Fetis to replenish my health.

FerranMG

I've noticed that, after beating the game with a character, a little icon appears over it in the character selection screen.
What does it mean?

CassSept

I've noticed that, after beating the game with a character, a little icon appears over it in the character selection screen.
What does it mean?

This marks your progression with every character, black icon for every milestone and red border when done in hard mode.

Heart for Mom's Heart
Star for Boss Rush
Cross for Isaac
Inverted Cross for Satan
The bottom two squares for The Chest and Dark Room
Nothing for Mega Satan, at least yet

SerTapTap

This marks your progression with every character, black icon for every milestone and red border when done in hard mode.

Heart for Mom's Heart
Star for Boss Rush
Cross for Isaac
Inverted Cross for Satan

(final boss spoiler)
Mega Satan changes the save file icon, but no nothing per character

FerranMG

Heart for Mom's Heart
Star for Boss Rush
Cross for Isaac
Inverted Cross for Satan

(final boss spoiler)
Mega Satan changes the save file icon, but no nothing per character

Cool, thanks guys.

SamVimes

Monster Manual
Dr. Fetus/Pyro
(infinite bombs) +
Pyromaniac
Nun's Habit
(recharges item upon getting hit) = infinite chance to get the familiar you want.

I don't think this works. You don't get charges from Nun's Habit by bombing yourself with pyromaniac, you need Sharp Plug. Note, do not get 9 volt or you will break the combo.

Something I need to know because I have poopy (lol) characters left to play but are there unlockables from all characters for killing
Lamb/Blue Baby
or is it just
Isaac/Satan
?

SerTapTap

Something I need to know because I have poopy (lol) characters left to play but are there unlockables from all characters for killing
Lamb/Blue Baby
or is it just
Isaac/Satan
?

It's all of those, anything there's an icon for there's an unlock for (except for hard mode ones, then it's just the heart (character spoiler)
except The Lost because ed hates you
)

Camwi

Sharp Plug
or
Habit
Pyromaniac
+ Infinite explosions (either via an enemy or
Dr/Epic Fetus/Ipecac
) and the
D6 into the Monster Manual
allows for infinite rerolls / attempts to eventually spawn a Meat boy / Bandage girl.

You can also use
Placenta
for the passive regeneration but it's much, much slower.

Quoting for possible future use.

I don't think this works. You don't get charges from Nun's Habit by bombing yourself with pyromaniac, you need Sharp Plug. Note, do not get 9 volt or you will break the combo.
Does the Nun's Habit grant a charge if you get hit but you don't take damage?(i.e. Infamy, Holy Mantle, Trinity Shield)

Iryx

You can do it with Nuns habit if you use a fire or spikes to take damage and then heal with explosions.

Tecl0n

Monster Manual
Dr. Fetus/Pyro
(infinite bombs) +
Pyromaniac
Nun's Habit

That sounds hard to get.

Haunted

Ah ok, I never got either combo, just relating what I've heard (made sense in theory :p).

Celegus

All the insane hoops you have to jump through to 100% this game (which I'll not be doing) just seem so contrary to Edmund's personal thoughts (or rather, what he said in Indie Game The Movie). Like that light-switch flipping game they made where more stuff appears in the room the more times you flip the light and that's all it does, and how he said that's what a lot of games feel like nowadays and how sad that is. The game itself is still fantastic, but trying to 100% Isaac just feels like flipping that light-switch over and over. Tons of work for very little reward.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Question for people who have completed the game completely or have watched enough streams to know about the end game content:

If I have all 16 endings, got Golden God, and only have hard mode and
The Lost
to do, is there any significant content that I haven't seen? I've avoided most spoilers and haven't watched any gameplay, but have slipped up here and there by seeing
The Lamb
and
The Dark Room
named in other posts but figured out how to get there on my own and I'd rather not have any other end game areas spoiled. A simple yes or no would do, as far as I am aware the only real thing left to do is unlock the last character which I understand to have a completely ridiculous unlock method. Honestly by this point I would have expected it to be patched to be less dumb after the data mining revealed the method so early, but I guess that's not happening so I'm just going to look up how to get the unlock to go forward if I've got nothing else left.

SerTapTap

Question for people who have completed the game completely or have watched enough streams to know about the end game content:

If I have all 16 endings, got Golden God, and only have hard mode and
The Lost
to do, is there any significant content that I haven't seen? I've avoided most spoilers and haven't watched any gameplay, but have slipped up here and there by seeing
The Lamb
and
The Dark Room
named in other posts but figured out how to get there on my own and I'd rather not have any other end game areas spoiled. A simple yes or no would do, as far as I am aware the only real thing left to do is unlock the last character which I understand to have a completely ridiculous unlock method. Honestly by this point I would have expected it to be patched to be less dumb after the data mining revealed the method so early, but I guess that's not happening so I'm just going to look up how to get the unlock to go forward if I've got nothing else left.

Not particularly, assuming you've completed the challenges and gotten your boss kills.

All the insane hoops you have to jump through to 100% this game (which I'll not be doing) just seem so contrary to Edmund's personal thoughts (or rather, what he said in Indie Game The Movie). Like that light-switch flipping game they made where more stuff appears in the room the more times you flip the light and that's all it does, and how he said that's what a lot of games feel like nowadays and how sad that is. The game itself is still fantastic, but trying to 100% Isaac just feels like flipping that light-switch over and over. Tons of work for very little reward.

IMO it'd be perfectly fine if not not:

The Lost, fuck everything about that
100% item PICKUP. Unlocked all items? Sure, that's a 100% condition right there. Requiring you to pick them up is stupid
Hard mode: One of the worst implementations of hard mode ever, hard in all the wrong ways, almost entirely RNG based too
Meat boy/girl, the addition of meat girl has made this incredibly unlikely to get without the frequently mentioned game-breaking abuse of certain extremely specific and fairly uncommon items.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Not particularly, assuming you've completed the challenges and gotten your boss kills.

Not all of them, but that's obvious stuff that I can see from the menu. I just don't want to pull up a Northernlion video for the background and suddenly see him fighting the super secret 19th boss or something.

I'm fine watching videos for fun strategies and to see item combinations I just might never happen to find, but I wanted to find all of the actual new stuff in the game for myself. When I saw the names of the area and boss I beat last night in this thread, I wasn't aware there was an entirely new area. It's probably for the best that I saw them because I had it so ingrained into my Isaac playstyle to ignore Sheol entirely that it would have been a while before I went back and cleaned it up.

SerTapTap

Not all of them, but that's obvious stuff that I can see from the menu. I just don't want to pull up a Northernlion video for the background and suddenly see him fighting the super secret 19th boss or something.

It's just new items at this point, and new co op babies. Yayyy....

It's all of those, anything there's an icon for there's an unlock for (except for hard mode ones, then it's just the heart (character spoiler)
except The Lost because ed hates you
)

Oh awesome, nice reason to revist Azazel, Isaac and Cain.

Nom nom, this game never ends.

Celegus

IMO it'd be perfectly fine if not not:

The Lost, fuck everything about that
100% item PICKUP. Unlocked all items? Sure, that's a 100% condition right there. Requiring you to pick them up is stupid
Hard mode: One of the worst implementations of hard mode ever, hard in all the wrong ways, almost entirely RNG based too
Meat boy/girl, the addition of meat girl has made this incredibly unlikely to get without the frequently mentioned game-breaking abuse of certain extremely specific and fairly uncommon items.

Yep, those are exactly the things I'm talking about. I haven't even bothered unlocking the secret character because playing it looks like the opposite of fun, same with trying to find every single item. It's hard enough to unlock the rare stuff, but then also needing to pray to RNGesus for it to show up? Nope nope nope.

Anustart

I'm about to give up on real platinum god because of this stupid missing no and godhead item.

Edit: Finally found Godhead, just need to find that damn missing no. now :/

aku:jiki

I swear the faith stat is still broken... Now that I want angel rooms I can't get them to save my life. In the run I'm in right now, I have Goat Head (which some people mistakenly think cancels out angel rooms but it does not) and just general item room items and nothing that should give me evil up. In fact, I have the Rosary! Nope, still only one angel room in the entire run.

And of course it had to give me the final middle finger in the form of a Womb XL, just because I found a habit on depths 2 and was getting ready to reroll the shit out of the last angel room. This is getting so old but I can't relax and play for fun until I have my real platinum god now that I'm so close. :(

SerTapTap

I swear the faith stat is still broken... Now that I want angel rooms I can't get them to save my life. In the run I'm in right now, I have Goat Head (which some people mistakenly think cancels out angel rooms but it does not) and just general item room items and nothing that should give me evil up. In fact, I have the Rosary! Nope, still only one angel room in the entire run.

And of course it had to give me the final middle finger in the form of a Womb XL, just because I found a habit on depths 2 and was getting ready to reroll the shit out of the last angel room. This is getting so old but I can't relax and play for fun until I have my real platinum god now that I'm so close. :(

Man I HATE that even after you've unlocked sheol/cathedral permanently the devil/angel rooms are still worthless on that floor. I get a room almost every run and it just feels like I lost an item.

And yeah, Angel Rooms seem highly unpredictable, other than making them NOT appear, that's easy. I was so very lucky I managed to get 2 angel rooms in a row on a run where I was prepared to kill
Mega Satan
as I've still only gotten Dad's Key in challenges and only a couple times since have I seen 2 angel rooms in a row.

It has been a month since release now and the Vita/PS4 versions still don't work properly, with no word on a patch. Terrible support. But yeah let's announce an expansion and ignore all questions.

With all the news about broken Ubi games this should be a much bigger thing. Yes, it only affects a small portion of users, but the game can not be completed as of now. The PC has had the patch for about three weeks now I think.

It has been a month since release now and the Vita/PS4 versions still don't work properly, with no word on a patch. Terrible support. But yeah let's announce an expansion and ignore all questions.

With all the news about broken Ubi games this should be a much bigger thing. Yes, it only affects a small portion of users, but the game can not be completed as of now. The PC has had the patch for about three weeks now I think.
Well, BoI was orignally created for PC, so I think that's why the PC patch came out so quickly
Keep in mind Rebirth isn't made by the same people(read: core team, i.e. Nicalis didn't make the original) who made the original, which also might add time on for PS4/Vita support

Well, BoI was orignally created for PC, so I think that's why the PC patch came out so quickly
Keep in mind Rebirth isn't made by the same people(read: core team, i.e. Nicalis didn't make the original) who made the original, which also might add time on for PS4/Vita support

That's no excuse. Of course patching on PC is a much quicker and easier process, but Vita/PS4 got the first patch pretty much at the same time as PC.

Anustart

Anyone know how to use cheat engine? I'm a broken man and i'm going to use it to find a damn missing no., but I can't get the damn thing to work. Half the things I click on in this isaac cheat table don't even activate.

Edit: Got it. I feel no shame in cheating to find Missing No. as endless hunting of secret rooms wasn't fun or engaging in any manner.

SerTapTap

So....like....is there any reason why I shouldn't be using Azazel now?

You get one unlock for each boss that leaves an icon on the post-it note on the character select screen.You'll eventually want to play with everyone to get all the unlocks, but if you're still trying to get to the last floor, sure, go nuts with Azazel. Though once you unlock (secret character from BOI 1)
Blue Baby
you'll really want to unlock the D6 for isaac.

That's no excuse. Of course patching on PC is a much quicker and easier process, but Vita/PS4 got the first patch pretty much at the same time as PC.
I think that patch(similar to the 1st patch of Smash 4) was already in development before the game was released, in the sense that after they finished the final product they knew they wanted some stuff to be changed, but didn't want to change the final product before release to the public. I don't know for 100% certain, but I think that is what might have happened.

Did you listen to the announcement? They're planning on monthlyish patches up until the expansion/as necessary, but most of the staff was gone on vacation after release of the game.

Top Bottom