• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I've just reach the Dark Room. There's a massive door in front of me with a key on it that I don't know how to open. I have a full map of the floor, yet the boss room does not appear anywhere on it. Why is this? Is this gonna be a deal where one of the rooms on the floor will randomly have the key that opens that big door at the start of the floor or something?

I've just reach the Dark Room. There's a massive door in front of me with a key on it that I don't know how to open. I have a full map of the floor, yet the boss room does not appear anywhere on it. Why is this? Is this gonna be a deal where one of the rooms on the floor will randomly have the key that opens that big door at the start of the floor or something?

The Dark Room has a normal boss room. It should show up on the map if you have the compass. The big door is special and not needed for a normal completion of the Dark Room.

SerTapTap

You'll get a hint as to how to open that door when you beat the normal boss

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The Dark Room has a normal boss room. It should show up on the map if you have the compass. The big door is special and not needed for a normal completion of the Dark Room.

I don't have the compass. I have some sort of map item. It's showing the whole floor except the boss room and I suppose any other special rooms that might be on the floor. I assumed that was because this floor didn't have those things, but I guess this item just doesn't show those type of rooms.

I don't have the compass. I have some sort of map item. It's showing the whole floor except the boss room and I suppose any other special rooms that might be on the floor. I assumed that was because this floor didn't have those things, but I guess this item just doesn't show those type of rooms.

Yeah the map just shows the layout, not where special rooms are. The boss room is down the longest possible path most of the time though, if you don't feel like exploring everything.

autoduelist

My worst day of BoI ever.

I was grinding my final 200 coins with Azazel.

Then I got a run with Book of Rev on the first floor, so went for Meat Boy. Got meat 3 times in a row (every other boss), but... CRASHED entering boss room for the 4th and final. Was super excited because when I reloaded the game my save was kept and I could restart the level! Except it crashed EVERY time I entered the boss room. (Tried 4 times, including using an Emperor card)

First and only time BoI crashed on me, and it cost me meat boy.

THEN... very next run my first item was the Holy Mantle. So once again I went for it, this time The Chest no damage run. Had brimstone, the knife, was azazel, was guppy, had holy mantle and EVERY damage up i can think of - money = power with 99 coins, cricket, pact, pentagram, ababadon, and more.

I killed blue baby w.o getting hit.

too bad in the room before that, i got hit once by a enemy, which was fine (holy mantle) but then got hit by one of those moving spikes after i clear the room because i'm an idiot.

Awful. At least i only have 50 coins to go for stopwatch

SerTapTap

I swear there is code that detects when you're farming coins. 3 jams on the FIRST COIN while trying to farm with cain.

First and only time BoI crashed on me, and it cost me meat boy.

If it makes you feel any better, 50-50 chance it was a ball of bandages anyway. Those achievements are ridiculous since there's two of them now

Hate those moving spikes though. There's a horizontal room layout with 3 vertical pairs of them and a skull in the middle that I swear is not possible to get through without taking a hit if they activate, especially if you're slow (am I missing some trick that makes them NOT activate? sometimes they just...don't. Baiting seems ineffective as they recover too fast)

SerTapTap

Well, died on The Lamb. I feel like I'm gonna need to be OP to beat this thing.

The Room should generally MAKE you OP. Though slightly less so than The Chest, because that one starts with 4 item chests. If you didn't notice, chest drops in The Chest/Room will always yield a collectable. If you feel you're too weak, clear out every room and you might get some crazy goodies (or jack shit, who knows!). Also, the Contract From Below turns absurdly good once you're in the chest/room.

Also, The Lamb is highly dodgeable, only a few patterns seemed a bit iffy to me. Do not let him corner you and try to keep him in the middle of the room as a few "ring around the rosie" attacks are bullshit if he's too close to a wall and you need to run into him to "dodge" the attack. Keep an eye out and learn his tricks if you find him with high health, it's a pretty fun fight if you're not quite OP but still have a chance.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The Room should generally MAKE you OP. Though slightly less so than The Chest, because that one starts with 4 item chests. If you didn't notice, chest drops in The Chest/Room will always yield a collectable. If you feel you're too weak, clear out every room and you might get some crazy goodies (or jack shit, who knows!). Also, the Contract From Below turns absurdly good once you're in the chest/room.
I got to the boss room pretty damn quickly. Honestly I didn't want to risk exploring and being in a worse situation health wise. Next time I'll take your advice and explore regardless.

SerTapTap

I got to the boss room pretty damn quickly. Honestly I didn't want to risk exploring and being in a worse situation health wise. Next time I'll take your advice and explore regardless.

Well, it IS a risk. Most "miniboss" rooms in the last level should almost be a joke due to the items you've collected thus far, but even if you're super OP there are a few that can be really hard to dodge (two Gates until one is dead, Adversaries, 2 Fallen if you accidentally split all 4 and they all spit blood at the same time). But generally I would dawdle and pick up all the buffs you can unless you're rushing for Dead Boy and/or fell OP as is. What I do is carve a path to the boss room if I can, then clean up the extras if I feel like it.

BTW. Do not continue running after you enter a door in those levels. Sometimes red poop spawns RIGHT outside the door and it's bullshit. Dunno if it's only The Chest or not, but it is an incredibly annoying way to lose Dead Boy.

David___

Banned
FINALLY built SMB and Bandage Girl. Did it under an hour using the infinite MM method.

Here's a pic when it was over.
rAQQLRt.jpg

Just need Godhead, Super Bandage and Dead Boy for Real Plat God.

Anustart

All I got left is Crow Baby, Dead Baby, Fighting Baby, Plat God and Real Plat God.

Finally created bandage girl via infinite monster manual. Took forever to get that combo going, as to start it, only way I could heal was with my limited bombs. But luckily I got a combo that dropped items when I was hurt sometimes and also the 1+1 store item, so I barely kept my combo going by hurting myself on a fire and healing via drops from that.

Need to grab a couple items, including that dang godhead which will probably take forever.

Anustart

For the "don't take damage in caves/depths/utero" trophies, is it OK if you take damage before you get to those levels?

Yep.

Edit: I'm convinced now that Hard mode weights shitty items highly in the pools. I get absolute fucking trash so damn often on hard it's stupid. There's only so many times you can get the spoon, pageant boy and other fucking shit items and call it coincidence. Also whoever said hard doesn't effect gambling has to be mistaken. 45 coins into a fortune teller machine, 0 payouts.

cakely

Beat
Mom's Heart
for the first time tonight and ended up doing it twice more just because.

It feels like I'm starting to get the hang of this now. (Famous last words).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Argh.

I died on satan as the lost. Had no defensive items at all the whole run, no extra lives ever, no guppy.

But I had never made it past utero/womb 1 before, so I guess there's that? Unlocked the -0- baby. :/

SerTapTap

This game is hard as fuck.

Yep. IT gets easier with skill...then it throws new things at you when you surmount that challenge...then it repeats several times. The start is still a bit rough (much smoother than the original I think though) but it's still one of my favorite methods of difficulty ramp-up ever

Edit: I'm convinced now that Hard mode weights shitty items highly in the pools. I get absolute fucking trash so damn often on hard it's stupid. There's only so many times you can get the spoon, pageant boy and other fucking shit items and call it coincidence. Also whoever said hard doesn't effect gambling has to be mistaken. 45 coins into a fortune teller machine, 0 payouts.

That's nuts, it's usually 5 coins max on normal before I see a proper drop from a fortune teller. It does make Devil Rooms more unlikely so I wouldn't be surprised if they mess with some other probabilities beyond pickup drops.

Celegus

I keep having the dumbest problems when I play recently.
The Lamb
is the last boss I have to kill with the character I was using, got a really strong build going, and happened to be standing exactly where the Polaroid spawns when Mom died. Crap.

SerTapTap

I keep having the dumbest problems when I play recently.
The Lamb
is the last boss I have to kill with the character I was using, got a really strong build going, and happened to be standing exactly where the Polaroid spawns when Mom died. Crap.

I don't really care for how that whole thing is handled. The Negative's passive effect is way less useful than the polaroid's (potentially unless you have something that lets it trigger every hit, but even then, temp invincibility vs minor damage, come on), and it really doesn't add much to the game to force you to chose 3 levels ahead which final area you want. Also, it's possible for the polaroid/negative to scroll off your "my stuff" section in the pause screen, so good luck if you forget which you grabbed.

At least they're not trinkets, THAT was a terrible idea.

Is there a higher chance of the donation machine to jam early if you have a lot of money on you ? Anectodal evidence but everything I get a super lucky run on the money front it seems to jam at the first few coins.

SerTapTap

Is there a higher chance of the donation machine to jam early if you have a lot of money on you ? Anectodal evidence but everything I get a super lucky run on the money front it seems to jam at the first few coins.

It does this to me when I have just a few coins too. I've just been playing Cain and going into the first shop after I have a key and coins and it almost always jams on the first few coins. When playing casually I've had it accept 20+ at once in a go. Very annoying.

It does this to me when I have just a few coins too. I've just been playing Cain and going into the first shop after I have a key and coins and it almost always jams on the first few coins. When playing casually I've had it accept 20+ at once in a go. Very annoying.

That's a shame, I feel those shop unlocks are going to take forever.

SerTapTap

That's a shame, I feel those shop unlocks are going to take forever.

It's definitely meant to be an "as you play" sort of thing, but it's risky to just toss all the coins you have when you're not 100% confident you'll finish a run, otherwise I might have 999 coins (and a few less successful runs possibly) already. As is I'm not quite to 600 and "farming" has yielded less than 50 coins with 5 runs. I gave up and will just do some boss kill runs and donate when possible and return to farming this if I run out of non
The Lost
stuff to do

Anustart

Ugh. All I need is to find Missing No. and Godhead. Any tips? Both seem like they could take forever to find. I really have no idea why they'd make it so you have to find all the items :/

maty

Ugh. All I need is to find Missing No. and Godhead. Any tips? Both seem like they could take forever to find. I really have no idea why they'd make it so you have to find all the items :/

Missing No. should appear in a secret room. Start with isaac find the secret room until it spawns an item if it's not Missing number use D6, if another item appears restart the game and repeat the process.

For Godhead it's almost the same, start with isaac take no damage, don't make any deal with the devil in the basement, then avoid damage in the caves and an angel room should appear. Faith up items could help. If godhead is not there kill the angel and reroll both items for a bigger chance to get it. If not repeat process.

Also, having Goat Head but meeting the conditions mentioned above will also help spawn angel room

SerTapTap

If godhead is not there kill the angel and reroll both items for a bigger chance to get it. If not repeat process.

Wait,you can reroll the key piece drops into an angel pool item? That's awesome. I need to play with Isaac more, I got almost all his kills out of the way before D6 so I haven't gotten to abuse it much

maty

Wait,you can reroll the key piece drops into an angel pool item? That's awesome. I need to play with Isaac more, I got almost all his kills out of the way before D6 so I haven't gotten to abuse it much

Yes you can which is great and necessary to find all items besides just luck.

I think you can also use a XX Judgement card in the angel room and reroll any item the beggar drops into an angel room pool item.

Haunted

Infinite MM?
Monster Manual
(gives random familiar) +
Dr. Fetus/Pyro
(infinite bombs) +
Pyromaniac
(bombs don't hurt, but it registers the hit) + [
Nun's Habit
(recharges item upon getting hit) = infinite chance to get the familiar you want.

Serrato

Monster Manual
(gives random familiar) +
Dr. Fetus/Pyro
(infinite bombs) +
Pyromaniac
(bombs don't hurt, but it registers the hit) + [
Nun's Habit
(recharges item upon getting hit) = infinite chance to get the familiar you want.

I said wow.

Top Bottom