• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT18| - Ma-ma-ma-MAXIMUM! Haram Achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
I feel somewhat good that the thread got locked around the time I gave up with it.

I apologise if I fucked up in places, I think I was mostly posting from the heart so I may not have said entirely accurate stuff.

The whole "but you don't know what black is" stuff got me riled up.

I feel somewhat good that the thread got locked around the time I gave up with it.

I apologise if I fucked up in places, I think I was mostly posting from the heart so I may not have said entirely accurate stuff.

The whole "but you don't know what black is" stuff got me riled up.

You fought well. Your heart was true. Fuck everything else

akira28

If I had a dog it would have to go to school or get a job. No freeloaders on this ship.

"play dead, fetch, look cute? what kind of resume is this? I'm going to teach you how to cold call. You ever sell insurance by phone?"

akira28

Keeping you safe doesn't count?

Current economic anxieties outweigh my physical security fears. Now if my pets took the initiative to learn how to load and fire weapons in addition to earning the cash for those weapons and buying them off of gunbroker.com, then some treats and belly rubs might be in order.

Slayven

Fed my spiders.

0993f07d5ac67b70a37f6cb45eb62873.jpg

Current economic anxieties outweigh my physical security fears. Now if my pets took the initiative to learn how to load and fire weapons in addition to earning the cash for those weapons and buying them off of gunbroker.com, then some treats and belly rubs might be in order.

Fetching reloads and calling snipers and flankers is good enough in my house.

Mega

Banned
Izuna directed me to this thread (thanks, Izuna). I was set to post this in the Inkling thread but I took too long and it got locked by the time I hit post.

Lmao, your head is shoved way too far up your own ass to even understand the perspective of others here. You lost the moment you tried arguing with "ethnic" hair. Your stance was clear from the jump, and begging people for "reading comprehension" will not change the ignorance in your opinions.

Black is dark skin. Blackness is dark skin. Black is not exclusive but an INCLUSIVE term often used to describe PoC. The reason why "PoC" is such an annoying term to many of us, is because people like to hide behind it while screaming, "And I'm not black!!"

Direct your friends here, and I'll gladly tell them I love their blackness. And if they say, "I'm not black, I'm Dominican." I'll direct them to a multitude of sources that will tell them all they need to know about their culture.

You honestly need to educate yourself as well. Since you started back pedaling the moment someone hit you with that Google definition. Now you're like, "Uh. I'm just saying they're not SIGNIFICANTLY black, cause they look like me too, and I'm brown! Besides, black means different things for many different people." when 'black' is almost always associated with a negative.

Puhlease.

Begin honest, until this thread this was a new concept to me (black as an all inclusive phrase for PoC). But not because I have any disdain with that wording. It's because the language we used growing up to described black people, Africans, hispanic people, any brown people, our family, friends, neighbors, literally translates to brown (marron, moreno). As affectionate nicknames my half sis was Morena, my lil sis was Morenita, my dad was Moreno. If you were non-white and at least fairly dark, your skin was literally marron color for all intents and purposes. I think that was the root of our misunderstanding earlier. Different words for the same thing due to words from one language to the next not being 1:1, on top of unique cultural differences. A silly example would be like soda in one region vs pop in another. So all that considered, I think we were on the same page all along except using different terms for the same concept of "PoC in general."

I was also reading this article that delves into the peculiar historical distinction between moreno and negro for some Spanish speakers. Basically our moreno is the equivalent to black, whereas negro was corrupted by European colonizers who used it as a stand-in for slave! As a result we sought our own word without the negative connotations and it (moreno/brown) stuck over the years. Pretty crazy and fascinating if all this is true.

Negro (Black): This word was strongly associated with being enslaved and was part of the slave master’s denigrating lingo in which he reduced our humanity to a color, black. In doing this they disassociated us from our culture and history. There is no ethnic group in Africa that is called Negro. In Dominican society and history, the term Negro was associated with being property (a slave), while Moreno was associated with being a Free African. Often you will find both in Dominican history books, church baptisms, and slave transactions, the word Negro used for a slave. For example, this is from the ‘Archivos Reales de Bayaguana’ which can be found here.

Bayaguana: 1696 [Venta (sale) de Antonio Leonicio Correa, vecino de Santo Domingo, a Juan de Frías Salazar, de un negro criollo llamado Ambrosio, por 150 castellanos. Firmado por Luis Sánchez de Alemán, alcalde ordinario.]

Bayaguana 1741 [Venta de una negra llamada Magdalena, esclava de Juan Méndez y su mujer Antonia Berrasa, de esta ciudad, otorgada por éstos a José Miniel, vecino de villa de Hincha.]

Moreno (Moor/Free Black): The Spaniards also used this word to describe Africans on the colony but would almost exclusively use it to describe freed Africans. With time, Afro-Dominicans started to call themselves Morenos. The etymology of this word is strongly associated with culture as its root word is Moor—a conglomerate ethnic group that occupied Spain for 800 years. The word Moor is also associated psychologically to the Dominicans with freedom and humanity as we graduated from being a color (black-negro) to being a people (Morenos). Here are some examples of how Moreno meant free African, from the “Archivos Reales de Bayaguana” also referenced above.

Bayaguana 1756 [ Testamento de Juan Antonio Domínguez, de esta ciudad, se casó en Santo Domingo con Francisca Eusebio, morena libre. Tuvo tres hijos. Testigos: Francisco José Rodríguez, Esteban Mártir y Francisco Fonseca.]

Bayaguana 1746: [Venta de una caballería de tierra en La Loma del Medio, otorgada por Juan Geraldo, de esta ciudad, en favor a Juan Bautista, boruco, moreno libre de Santo Domingo.]

Btw, Sammy Sosa is considered a repulsive freak and weirdo among Latinos (he gets posted often as proof of self hatred in our cultures, it exists but he doesn't speak for everyone). Far as I and my friends/family know, bleaching is not a thing we do like people in other parts of the world... we generally love our many shades of dark skin color and in fact despise getting pale from the winter or working indoors, etc.

Sch1sm

First instinct is you could have straight PM'd the dude you wanted to respond to in that thread.

Kinda sorta interesting history tidbit, otherwise, I suppose, if it's correct.

Izuna directed me to this thread (thanks, Izuna). I was set to post this in the Inkling thread but I took too long and it got locked by the time I hit post.

Begin honest, until this thread this was a new concept to me (black as an all inclusive phrase for PoC). But not because I have any disdain with that wording. It's because the language we used growing up to described black people, Africans, hispanic people, any brown people, our family, friends, neighbors, literally translates to brown (marron, moreno). As affectionate nicknames my half sis was Morena, my lil sis was Morenita, my dad was Moreno. If you were non-white and at least fairly dark, your skin was literally marron color for all intents and purposes. I think that was the root of our misunderstanding earlier. Different words for the same thing due to words from one language to the next not being 1:1, on top of unique cultural differences. A silly example would be like soda in one region vs pop in another. So all that considered, I think we were on the same page all along except using different terms for the same concept of "PoC in general."

I was also reading this article that delves into the peculiar historical distinction between moreno and negro for some Spanish speakers. Basically our moreno is the equivalent to black, whereas negro was corrupted by European colonizers who used it as a stand-in for slave! As a result we sought our own word without the negative connotations and it (moreno/brown) stuck over the years. Pretty crazy and fascinating if all this is true.

Btw, Sammy Sosa is considered a repulsive freak and weirdo among Latinos (he gets posted often as proof of self hatred in our cultures, it exists but he doesn't speak for everyone). Far as I and my friends/family know, bleaching is not a thing we do like people in other parts of the world... we generally love our many shades of dark skin color and in fact despise getting pale from the winter or working indoors, etc.

A Cuban friend of mine calls his wife negrita as an endearment. I know this is a thing in the Cuban culture so I get the moreno/morena thing.

Izuna

Banned
I'm glad we're learning stuff

~~

Am I daft to say fuck it, not go for a gaming PC and jump on the Samsung S8? I'm gunna wait a day for deciding maybe.

So I just took a look at this game on psn called Momodora: Reverie under the moonlight. Apparently it's a metroidvania with inspirations from dark souls. Looks like I got me a new game to get in the future.

damn, I was wondering if that thread would get locked. i even said so in the thread

Mega

Banned
First instinct is you could have straight PM'd the dude you wanted to respond to in that thread.

Kinda sorta interesting history tidbit, otherwise, I suppose, if it's correct.

I understand. I was replying to him as a jumping off point but the post as a whole wasn't just responding to him, but meant to address general sentiments in the thread.

A Cuban friend of mine calls his wife negrita as an endearment. I know this is a thing in the Cuban culture so I get the moreno/morena thing.

Yea, I heard negro before among mechanics (where my dad worked) and my aunt calls her husband negro. Growing up moreno was more common.

zeemumu

I'm glad we're learning stuff

~~

Am I daft to say fuck it, not go for a gaming PC and jump on the Samsung S8? I'm gunna wait a day for deciding maybe.

Yes.

You'll get several years out of that PC before it's truly outdated (I'm still using my gaming laptop from 2012 and it works fine)

That phone will be outdated in about a year when the S9 drops.

Gonna go to Mexico someday, but I don't know where I'm gonna go. Maybe I'll go see some Aztec ruins. I love ruins. I've been fascinated with them ever since I was a kid. And go to Cancun, I guess.

Though I'd rather go sonewhere small and quiet others wouldn't go and sit and watch the scenery.

Izuna

Banned
Yes.

You'll get several years out of that PC before it's truly outdated (I'm still using my gaming laptop from 2012 and it works fine)

That phone will be outdated in about a year when the S9 drops.

Damnit, if we knew Scorpio had W10 support none of this would be half an issue.

I'm going to keep trying to get a 1070 laptop under £1200 WITH good IO ports and if it never happens, I'll just save my money.

Malyse

If I was petty, I'd add a Never Forget section to the OT and link to the Inkling thread, the GTA:SA thread, the Mafia 3 thread, the Watch_Dogs 2 thread (pretty sure that prolly went bad), etc.

Kreed, I'm sure you got a list.

If I was petty, I'd add a Never Forget section to the OT and link to the Inkling thread, the GTA:SA thread, the Mafia 3 thread, the Watch_Dogs 2 thread (pretty sure that prolly went bad), etc.

Kreed, I'm sure you got a list.

Some things need to happen. This is one of those things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom