• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT18| - Ma-ma-ma-MAXIMUM! Haram Achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hold up...the night I re-up my PS+, I see Skullgirls is on sale for $5 with all the DLC and it's available for cross-buy on PS4 and Vita.

I'll never leave again
rejoice.png

Yo, if you up for some Skullgirls matches sometime, hit me up. If you need my psn, pm me. Me and my Big Band will be happy to throw down with you.

--------------

Evening, everyone. How has your day been for all of you?

Injustice 2 is going to be shit. Like all nether realm games.
I would get mad at that statement but then I realized netherrealm won that battle years ago. IJ2 is going to get 3-4x SFV sales and get way more content and work at a faster rate. So enjoy your capcom games with worse netcode and slower updates. 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

Mizerman

I would get mad at that statement but then I realized netherrealm won that battle years ago. IJ2 is going to get 3-4x SFV sales and get way more content and work at a faster rate. So enjoy your capcom games with worse netcode and slower updates. ������������

Eh, I wouldn't give NRS too much credit for netcode especially from that debacle from MKX. Neither does Capcom when they improves theirs. And while extra content is good the gather the casual side of things, if the actual gameplay doesn't attract me, then content makes little difference. That's how I feel, anyway.

Also, it's not like Capcom gonna abandon SFV anytime soon. That and Infinite is gonna stick around.

I have some stuff to talk about.
Did y'all see that Shea Moisture ad last week? These motherfuckers All Hair Matters this shit! They had these white women in this ad talking about they get hair hate.

People always be using that excuse of like they're just trying to diversify, trying to diversify, because it's good for business. It's just business. It's like well the number one buyer of hair care products is a black woman. The whole reason this shit is a billion dollar industry is because of black women. Even if it was a niche market it's totally okay to market in a niche market and still be profitable. The only reason Shea Moisture is at where they are is because us black women have been supporting them since day one.

When they put out this break the walls commercial they made it seem like black people put up a motherfucking gate in front of the ethnic section of CVS and said "Coloreds Only". White bitch you can't walk over this section and pick up some Shea Moisture.

You know how it is on the internet space and some white people think anything specifically targeted for us is reverse racism, but we have different hair and different needs. Our hair is coarse and kinky and with this shit here they pulled they basically we ain't worth much to them and they'll start changing the ingredients to accommodate for them so if you're hair gets dry as fuck super quick you know why. Shea Moisture doesn't want your black money. In this ad they had two fucking white girls, two, a blonde and a redhead, and then a mixed girl with a loose curl pattern. So two white girls with straight hair and a mixed girl talking about how they get some motherfucking hair hate. Blond white girl talking about how it was so hard for her and gets this hair hate. Right now I'm giving that look, you know which one.

BITCH, BIIITTCH! ARE YOU SERIOUS!? Oh my gosh it was so hard cause I just looked in the mirror and said what are you going to do with this long straight hair that's the epidemy of beauty all around the world. Someone once told me my hair was the color of the inside of a banana peel, okay. That's hate alright, hate.

And then the redhaired girl was all like "I had to die my hair blond for seven years" which I find funny because the blond chick was just complaining about her hair like it's so hard for me being a blond white girl. It's hard for me to get all the stuff I need. Jesus!
And the red haired girl has thick straight red hair and not that thin and stringy kind that white girls have sometimes. She was all like "I have red hair and they call me ginger". Like I'm pretty sure you had a hard time growing up and being a ginger and whatever, fine, but you are not being victimized for your straight red hair. Blond haired bitch I don't even know. You're not being kicked out of school for that, losing a job over it, having your family tell you to straighten your hair or cut that nappy shit off. You're not having regulations being put on you for the military because of your hair type, you're not being told your hair is not acceptable among the mainstream white America. That doesn't amount to systemic oppression. That's like individual insults and whatnot. Systemic oppression is not comparable. No one ever said "You have to dye your hair brown because we don't accept red heads here." Black people been told to cut off their dreads for jobs. Nobody ever said you have to cut your hair or straighten it because it's a distraction for the other kids in class. These are real things that happened in class rooms to young boys and girls. Black girls came to school with braids and came home with them taken out because the teacher was talking about some braids, beads, and barrettes were a distraction.

This commercial is so absurd! Then the mixed girl with the curly hair was a specific and "marketable" choice from our culture for them to represent. The only representation you had was one from a texture that's considered acceptable in white America and what's considered "good hair" by people in the black community who subjugated to white supremacy that makes them hate their hair. There were no people who represented the nappy heads out there. I'm not using nappy as a negative connotation. I'm just pointing out what that mixed girl has isn't considered such. No representation of dark skinned girls or any black women with type 4 who have made the company who they are.

Fuck Shea Moisture! I found out that a couple years ago they sold almost half of their shares to a company that is owned by fucking Mitt Romney so this was coming.
Fuck them! There are other black owned hair care companies we can give our money to and they are barely black owned. It's a 51/49 split. They're black owned by the hairs on their chinny chin chin. A black man from Africa got his grandmother's recipe, came to Brooklyn and hustled that shit and now ends up selling the about half the shares to a bigot and said doesn't want it known as a black company. He doesn't want our dirty negra money.
FUCK SHEA MOISTURE!

I still have the curling smoothie I bought a while ago, but after I take these dreads out and start doing my own shit, that's it when the jar's gone. I'm not buying anymore of their shit.

Also, let me talk me Dear White People. YAAASSSSS! OH MY FUCKING GOSH! I thought the movie was okay, but the fucking series is lit! It's so unapologetically black. They upped their game on this one. The cinematography is as strong as ever, but the writing especially the dialogue, got turned up a few notches. There are a few things I still feel comes off a little too pop-culturish to me, but it's a massive improvement. Dear White People has the feeling of being a black college student. There's a strong sense of community, awkwardness, and beef on this Ivy league campus. This series' showrunner is Yvette Bowser who tookover for A Different World after the first season. If you ever wondered why the first season of A Different World was so boring and the white girl left in season 2 it was because season 1 was written by a white woman. Anywho the first episode gives a summary of the events that took place in the movie and continues from there. Sam I think is far more likeable here and only her, that dude from Everybody Hates Chris, the white guy, the dean, and the dark skin girl with the blond wig from the movie were recast. Everyone else from the movie returned. You know Tessa Thompson busy making that Marvel money now.

Spoilers here for the 1st episode.
Oh my gosh, how fucking funny was that Scandal parody. The bestest shade. "I pledge allegiance to your cock". WHOO! I couldn't breathe. There's a good article about that one scene btw. Here you go. The ending of that episode was also fucking incredible. The perfect way to entice someone to watch the next episode. It takes away the decision of watching episode 2 now or later.

The episode format where they switch characters each chapter is great. It gives plenty of time for each character and you get different viewpoints of the narrative. Sam is the pro-black chick who runs the radio show that the show's title get its name from. She's also biracial and speaking of that, what's with having the pro-black character being light skin most of the time in TV and movies? There's Michael from Good Times, that dude from CB4, the guy from School Daze, Freddy from A Different World.

tumblr_op4s7k9Lo21qk8rxto3_500.gif

Now I'm off track. So Lionel is a boy who is a geek and dealing with his sexuality. I can relate to him a bit. He didn't know how to identity himself and you go through a journey with him exploring himself both sexually and morally. He had an opinion I think was sort of fucked up later on, but I'll leave that to those who've seen it. If you watched Burning Sands (you should) you will recognize him as Square from it and oddly enough the character is similar. Ooh, I hope this boy won't be typecast.

You also have Troy who is the son of the dean and is the preppy swole negro. He's a member of C.O.R.E. The Coalition of Racial Equality which I think is supposed to be the image of the acceptable negroes on campus. His father provides for him, but he doesn't feel like he's loved. There is a lot of drama going on between him, the rest of the black students on campus, and politics.

tumblr_op8v13hMR71t6599fo2_540.gif

You got Reggie who I like. He's a member of the black student union and is involved with the racial politics on campus along with Sam and the other girl with the braids I can't remember the name of. It's a shame I can't remember her name, but she is the only character who doesn't get an episode dedicated to her who deserves one. Reggie goes through some major shit in episodes V and VI which makes you really connect with him.

Gabe is the white guy who feels a little out of place being the white guy in an overwhelming white place in a space on campus that's majority black. I feel like I should go in detail about his character, but I think it's better if you watch it.
And then there's Coco or Colandrea. She's also a member of CORE and has been afflicted with her black identity since childhood. I'm light skin myself so I don't have the same experience, but I know women who have had these issues. Being told that they're pretty for being a dark skin girl and I had an aunt who said she hopes her son marries a white woman so she won't have any dark skin grandbabies. She hates her name and feels it's too black so that's why she goes by Coco and felt her hair was ugly and results to weaves and wigs. That was me for a while. I would always either get my hair straightened or wear a weave for years. It wasn't until my first semester of getting my bachelor's did I start to go natural. Because of all of this she deals with she isn't often called not black enough or woke and we see her transformation throughout her college career.

Dear White People deals celebrates black culture and deals with racial politics in a way that comes off as natural and significant. Now, I wanted to wrap this up, but I want to talk about the bullshit for a second.

Oh my gosh! Gabe really called the fucking police and then Lionel, Coco, and fucking Troy trying to defend his ass on the matter. Coco said she saw black guys get shot down all the time in her hood growing up in Chi-Town and she playing like she don't know the police are full of shit especially when it comes to black people. The cop was at fault, but yes Gabe deserved all that negative attention for calling fucking 12. NO! NOOOOO!
Also they never wrapped up that plot point with Troy when someone sent him a video of him fucking the professor. Like was he about to be blackmailed? We don't know. That shit was never spoken of again. What the fuck?

Greater than I ever expected and the tagline at the end of episode X felt like something you would see in a movie. I eagerly await season 2.

Malyse

Anyone getting Injustice 2? I haven't played an arcade fighting game since MK2011.But I'm considering it before Tekken... Looks intimidating.
Nah, I'll just read the comic.
Happy birthday? Or am I early
Hella early.
Did they change it to any game? Last time I checked it was 30% off from a list of games.
It is a list, but it's the games I want anyways? Calling it a win.
Do the date need to be the same as the card?
I never use my real age or address on stuff that don't require it.
And happy expulsion day.
It's all month long.

Realness. So. Much. Realness.

PREACH!

giphy.gif

Sister Blasian has just taken us to church, temple, synagogue, and mosque!

And here is a list of black owned hair companies. I cannot vouch for any of them yet:

Khemistree Naturals
Taliah Waajid
Camille Rose Naturals
The Mane Choice
Lottabody
JAMAICAN MANGO & LIME
LUV Naturals
Oyin Handmade: Natural Products for Happy, Healthy Hair
Soultanicals
EDEN BodyWorks
Alikay Naturals
Uncle Funky's Daughter
Mielle Organics
Kyra's Shea Medleys
JadenMoon Natural Soaps & Skin Care
Scentsational Soaps
Karen's Body Beautiful
Curls - Natural Products for Your Natural Hair
Mixed Chicks

xTiTny5Iu35uW0Jl9C.gif

Welcome back, and I still need to watch it, I think I'll see it this weekend since I just finished S3 of how to get away with murder.
Why wait all the way until then?

PREACH!

giphy.gif

Sister Blasian has just taken us to church, temple, synagogue, and mosque!

And here is a list of black owned hair companies. I cannot vouch for any of them yet:

Khemistree Naturals
Taliah Waajid
Camille Rose Naturals
The Mane Choice
Lottabody
JAMAICAN MANGO & LIME
LUV Naturals
Oyin Handmade: Natural Products for Happy, Healthy Hair
Soultanicals
EDEN BodyWorks
Alikay Naturals
Uncle Funky's Daughter
Mielle Organics
Kyra's Shea Medleys
JadenMoon Natural Soaps & Skin Care
Scentsational Soaps
Karen's Body Beautiful
Curls - Natural Products for Your Natural Hair
Mixed Chicks

Are Cantu and As I Am not black owned? They're noticeably absent. This is a damn shame. I expect the thread here had all kinds of fuckery in it, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom