• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this article by the NYT making the rounds on twitter and people have some feelings about it. It's about Shonda Rhimes and her shows but the problem is the article implies that black women can't show range of emotions and if they do they get they are an "angry black woman". Thought this was interesting. Link

OK Shonda, you set the trap and gave sidepieces everywhere hopes and dreams now give me a couple that contains two black people that is healthy and functioning.

She gave sidepieces hope = Olivia inspires real life women who have affairs with married men.

Now give me a couple that contains two black people = Olivia and this woman on this new show are in relationships with white men of power. Many people believe Shonda writes her stories like this so that white people are more willing to watch them where as if the main black female character was with a black guy they (white people) might be turned off (and subsequently the show would be seen as a "black show").

I haven't watched any of her shows past the first season of Gray's Anatomy so I could be wrong on the relationship dynamics in these shows.

Trey

The relationship dynamics of Scandal are absolutely terrible. There is no logic or momentum to anything that happens.

Infinite

She gave sidepieces hope = Olivia inspires real life women who have affairs with married men.

Now give me a couple that contains two black people = Olivia and this woman on this new show are in relationships with white men of power. Many people believe Shonda writes her stories like this so that white people are more willing to watch them where as if the main black female character was with a black guy they (white people) might be turned off (and subsequently the show would be seen as a "black show").

I haven't watched any of her shows past the first season of Gray's Anatomy so I could be wrong on the relationship dynamics in these shows.

I get that but that response had nothing to do with that dumb ass article. I didn't know we were criticizing Shonda's writing.

On that topic I guess Shonda's writing embellishes aspects of day time soap operas but give it a prime time coat of paint, for better or for worse. So things get very melodramatic and very over the top at times but I think that's entirely the point (it has to be.)

I'm not entirely convinced that black characters in Shonda's shows are paired with white people so the show won't be seen as black and I say that because the characters and dialogue seem very racially aware. However considering how this trend is very pervasive on TV and especially on the network Scandal airs on I mean...yeah.

strobogo

Banned
Yeah, he be shouting out shit to get stuff started like that old crazy uncle, that isn't as crazy as lets on.

If you've ever had the pleasure to hear his radio show, he is a horrible person. A few years ago when I was working over nights, I tuned in for Coast to Coast AM, but he has a show in my market on Sundays and he was straight up saying we needed to start shooting Mexicans and start a war to reconquer our land (IE, the South West). I was like....what the fuck? How is this dude saying shit like that on the air? He takes the Fox News style about 8 levels farther.

Slayven

If you've ever had the pleasure to hear his radio show, he is a horrible person. A few years ago when I was working over nights, I tuned in for Coast to Coast AM, but he has a show in my market on Sundays and he was straight up saying we needed to start shooting Mexicans and start a war to reconquer our land (IE, the South West). I was like....what the fuck? How is this dude saying shit like that on the air? He takes the Fox News style about 8 levels farther.

AM radio you can say damn near anything you want. Esepcailly between 12am and 6am. I turn on AM whenever I am in the car and bored, conservative radio is hilarious.

I get that but that response had nothing to do with that dumb ass article. I didn't know we were criticizing Shonda's writing.

You don't expect people to actually read articles do you? :p

On that topic I guess Shonda's writing embellishes aspects of day time soap operas but give it a prime time coat of paint, for better or for worse. So things get very melodramatic and very over the top at times but I think that's entirely the point (it has to be.)

I'm not entirely convinced that black characters in Shonda's shows are paired with white people so the show won't be seen as black and I say that because the characters and dialogue seem very racially aware. However considering how this trend is very pervasive on TV and especially on the network Scandal airs on I mean...yeah.

I haven't watched enough of any of her shows to make any type of comment about them. But given the statistical breakdown between BM/WF vs WM/BF pairing in real life I wouldn't be shocked if there was a "to make white audience members more receptive to the show" angle involved. I even made a thread about the "can't relate" phenomenon you often hear.

strobogo

Banned
AM radio you can say damn near anything you want. Esepcailly between 12am and 6am. I turn on AM whenever I am in the car and bored, conservative radio is hilarious.

It's actually FM, but it was in the 11PM to 12AM hour I believe. I mean, I can listen to Rush and laugh at the wacky shit he says. But when a dude is straight up saying KILL THE MEXICANS AND RECLAIM OUR LAND and then he gets a TV show a few years later where he provokes black people into fighting with each other and shows up on Fox News all the time, I don't know how I'm supposed to react.

For the next 3 days Revanche is dead, long live Riovane. 33 years old and bout to turn the fuck up.

Im getting SMASHED, im gonna SMASH.

Life is too good family. Be easy and see you promptly on Monday at 6pm.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
For the next 3 days Revanche is dead, long live Riovane. 33 years old and bout to turn the fuck up.

Im getting SMASHED, im gonna SMASH.

Life is too good family. Be easy and see you promptly on Monday at 6pm.

being rio wasted is about to be a crime in some states

live it up my friend

Slayven

Bx7rtFRIYAAGn7D.jpg:large

Now that we've exhausted all of jandro's comebacks(Fight me/your mom)...

My younger brother's room smell like straight Alabama ASS, ya'll. I think if I walked in there that fat mothafucka might have a shit bag next to his piss bottles so he wouldn't have to move around too much the whole day.

Trey

What even would be the "ain't shit dream team" ? The two aforementioned, Derrick Rose's knees, Snipes and Lauryn Hill's accountant, Destiny's social features...

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
My younger brother's room smell like straight Alabama ASS, ya'll. I think if I walked in there that fat mothafucka might have a shit bag next to his piss bottles so he wouldn't have to move around too much the whole day.

Tell me youre joking with the piss bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom