• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

RP912

Banned
I thought James Woods was dead...

James Woods is immortal
James+Woods+nfLpPJ9Ia4rm.jpg

Malyse

I meant if you go by rules just from Jesus. That's why I said a bunch of others were added on after the fact. That's what I meant, anyway. Jesus was pretty much just " Don't be a dick, don't be killing folks, don't get too weird with your bits and pieces, brah". The other rules are inherited or added after the fact.

Literally one rule.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Imm0rt4l

Everything okay in here?

I posted this, sorry to you, Devo or anyone who may have thought this all too succinct rant was directed specifically at women. It was supposed to be more of an indictment on people who do everything in their power to spit in the face of God, but claim to put him first and foremost in their lives. It's the kind of hypocrisy I can't stand, having been raised Christian I at one point actually made an effort to be closer to God, and be Christ like. I don't like that sort of dishonesty, If someone were to acknowledge that they are not perfect but show some semblance of effort towards being a better person(whatever that is), then I respect that.

Apologize to me, nigga. You just implied I had an irritated vagina.

I would apologize for saying that, but it would be insincere since I meant that shit lol.

I will say that I'm sorry that we had a misunderstanding from the beginning, perhaps

I'm seriously curious but who actually believes in God in this place?

I think the Universe is indifferent to us, There may or may not be a God, I dunno. I don't think I'll find him in any book on Earth.

I said it many OTs ago.

I feel we are probably one of the most lurked threads period. Some cats are waiting in the wings to say some ill shit. But at the same time we got family out there who want nothing more then to join in and contribute to the conversation. Depends on the time of day honestly. On top of all that it has become a damn safe haven for most of us. The nonsense doesnt fly in here. But when some people come in expecting to "fuck with the bucket" they get got. Post haste.

And yeah I talk a lotta shit, but I do believe in a supreme being. I also believe in paying shit forward as well. Treat everyone with the kindness and respect that you feel YOU deserve.

J10

Banned
I said it many OTs ago.

I feel we are probably one of the most lurked threads period. Some cats are waiting in the wings to say some ill shit. But at the same time we got family out there who want nothing more then to join in and contribute to the conversation. Depends on the time of day honestly. On top of all that it has become a damn safe haven for most of us. The nonsense doesnt fly in here. But when some people come in expecting to "fuck with the bucket" they get got. Post haste.

And yeah I talk a lotta shit, but I do believe in a supreme being. I also believe in paying shit forward as well. Treat everyone with the kindness and respect that you feel YOU deserve.

I think people would be more inclined to jump in if y'all didn't spend 75% of the thread talking about anime. But I'm just like a toad spilling coffee or whatever.

I said it many OTs ago.

Yep. We're like the sun to their Icarus; they get too comfortable, then too hot, then caught in the straits.

And as I said before, I believe there is something greater. No need to lock it down or shut others out

RP912

Banned
I believe in God, but I can't say I'm part of any religion.

Sounds like me. I often say I'm a christian but in reality I believe in spirituality rather than the concept of religion. I believe in God but it's not one of those crusade type of things going on with me since I'm not perfect at all.

Well, again - it doesn't affect my day or anything.

And in fact, no one is expected to be without sin. Everyone is a sinner.

The point is that those who claim to love God will make an effort to live by his rules. Of course they'll falter, but faltering is different from claiming one thing and knowingly doing the exact opposite (or again, warping God's rules to fit your behavior).

(And I'm an agnostic, to whoever was asking. Agnostic atheist, to be precise.)

Imm0rt4l

The point is that those who claim to love God will make an effort to live by his rules. Of course they'll falter, but faltering is different from claiming one thing and knowingly doing the exact opposite (or again, warping God's rules to fit your behavior).

You totally get me dude.

RP912

Banned
Anime conversations in here remind me of the time I was a mod for some girls stream. Me and a few other dudes were talking about music production and making beats since at the time I was doing it to a certain extent. Her reactions of "derp wtf yall talking about" is the same reactions I have during those discussions. I'm still stuck in the early 90s movie anime like Fist of the North Star, Vampire Hunter D, and Akira. The new shit is under the radar.

The bold is almost the literal definition of what denominations are. Many people who make an effort to live by the rules in public are the same people most likely knowing and doing the exact opposite in private. Only difference is one group isn't concerned about putting on a facade to appease others. Which really is a problem with most if not all religions, people are more concerned about how other people view them and much less how view and love themselves IMO.

I understand what you're saying, I just don't see the point in judging someone for it. Let them make their own mistakes, stop being fixated on people who aren't "repping the gospel" correctly, you're going to burn yourself out because there are millions and billions like her.

I'm not saying I'm better or anything, I just having a hard time understanding why you care so much. Like to be honest over the 5 or so BCT OTs I've read posts by you guys...really I see you on the same level that you see this "hoe" you speak ill of. Dudes saying one thing but on the topic of religion preaching another, making jokes about others, lusting over women, etc. I mean I don't see anything wrong with that much like I don't see anything wrong with what this "hoe" is doing. You're living life, making mistakes, finding yourself, faltering, stumbling, falling off completely, picking yourself back up, reevaluating yourself, realizing the error of your ways, changing yourself to be a better person, etc. Not everyone learns at the same rate.

Besides...how do we even know this chick is a "hoe" or what has she done to be branded as such? Are we pulling a Lonely-GAF and assuming she's sleeping with a bunch of dudes because she wears skimpy outfits?

strobogo

Banned
One of the issues I have with this train of thought is that no where in the 4 Canonical retellings of Jesus' life does any of the authors of those books or Jesus hint at not following the old rules or telling Jews not to follow the rules. For example, most modern Christian followers I've talked to will quote the story where Jesus saved the woman from adultery by telling her accusers to stone her to death only if none of them have sinned and all of her accusers left because none of them were without sin. They interpreted this story as Jesus saying not to follow that law or as a way to get out of following other old Testament Biblical laws that they don't want to follow, when all Jesus did was find a loop hole to get out of killing the woman. He didn't say not to follow it/stoning people to death wasn't ok. If someone there wasn't a sinner, she would have been stoned to death and Jesus would have minded his business.

Hmm. That sounds interesting. I'm going to have to get to all these other books sometime. Not from a religious standpoint, but just from a "Billions of people through out history have followed these books, I should probably read them and try to understand them a little more" standpoint. I was thinking I'd skip over to the Bhagavad Gita next, though. The language and writing style of the Torah/Bible/Koran turns my brain to mush after about 40-50 pages.

The bold is almost the literal definition of what denominations are. Many people who make an effort to live by the rules in public are the same people most likely knowing and doing the exact opposite in private. Only difference is one group isn't concerned about putting on a facade to appease others. Which really is a problem with most if not all religions, people are more concerned about how other people view them and much less how view and love themselves IMO.

I understand what you're saying, I just don't see the point in judging someone for it. Let them make their own mistakes, stop being fixated on people who aren't "repping the gospel" correctly, you're going to burn yourself out because there are millions and billions like her.

I'm not saying I'm better or anything, I just having a hard time understanding why you care so much.

Well again - it doesn't affect my day. Furthermore it applies to all religious hypocrisy. I'm not judging any of them, per-se (though I did call my friend out for his hypocrisy just recently), and I'm not saying I'm better (in terms of being totally free from hypocrisy).

I'm just saying that it's jarring, because it's total nonsense. Like... talk about it, be about it. Especially because we both know those same people are gonna go back and talk about homosexuality or some other shit being wrong because "God said so."

EDIT: I don't know if the edit is about me, but I totally put "hoe" in quotation marks in my first response and said that I'm not remotely religious.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think it's fair to call that a "problem with all religions" since I don't think it's something exclusive to religion. You see that in any social institution in both the macro and micro levels.

It's just basic human social behavior to worry about appearances.

I don't think it's fair to call that a "problem with all religions" since I don't think it's something exclusive to religion. You see that in any social institution in both the macro and micro levels.

It's just basic human social behavior to worry about appearances.

Read my previous well written but ignored by everyone post. I pretty much say it's a human trait. The problem is, the entire point of religion is to be above such pettiness but you often find it manifests itself most in religion for that very reason.

Imm0rt4l

Read my previous well written but ignored by everyone post. I pretty much say it's a human trait. The problem is, the entire point of religion is to be above such pettiness but you often find it manifests itself most in religion for that very reason.

This, so hard. Ice skating up hill.

Well again - it doesn't affect my day. Furthermore it applies to all religious hypocrisy. I'm not judging any of them, per-se (though I did call my friend out for his hypocrisy just recently), and I'm not saying I'm better (in terms of being totally free from hypocrisy).

I'm just saying that it's jarring, because it's total nonsense. Like... talk about it, be about it. Especially because we both know those same people are gonna go back and talk about homosexuality or some other shit being wrong because "God said so."

EDIT: I don't know if the edit is about me, but I totally put "hoe" in quotation marks in my first response and said that I'm not remotely religious.

The edit is about any and everyone it applies to. It is total nonsense I definitely agree, but that's human nature. You see that same type of appeal to authority fallacy appear everywhere and that's the point. You can't single out someone because their appeal to authority figure is God when everyone does it. Being religious doesn't magically remove human nature from you. Humans are hypocritical creatures by their very nature and no book/scroll will change that. Everyone is a hypocrite, everyone preaches one thing but does another. I mean parents have a saying "do as I say, not as I do".

Besides whose to say this chick hasn't found god? Maybe her denominations (fitting God and the Word into your lifestyle) allows her to enjoy sex. Once we start talking about who's really Christian and who isn't we arrive firmly in "no true scotsman fallacy" territory and at that point a conversation is pointless. I mean after all as some of you have said, many of these laws were added after the fact as means of controlling the populous and have little to nothing to do with loving God or being closer to him.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeah I was just going to do that now until I saw this

udaZkDz.png

It's like 20 bucks more than the basic set after shipping so man fuck it

Oh shit, is this the Funimation version? Hook me up with a link.

Just saw it posted, good looking Retro.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I think the primary purpose of religion has always been to explain the unknown. Especially the meaning of human life and death and to give guidelines for what it means to be a good person in whatever society exists at the time.

I don't really think that "pettiness" is any more prevalent in Religion in comparison to any other social institution, but I think that the more antiquated and unnatural ideals people are expected to adhere to as religious figures might contribute to that perception.(Sexual orientation and abstinence)

Kreed

I think people would be more inclined to jump in if y'all didn't spend 75% of the thread talking about anime. But I'm just like a toad spilling coffee or whatever.

We could make the thread 100% about black subjects but even then some people wouldn't post. For example, we had a poster a while back say we talked too much about US black culture and not enough about black culture from around the world. Even though we mentioned that all subjects are welcome/he was free to change the subject the poster never came back. And remember that poster that came in here asking a question about black men that got ran out of here with the quickness (who probably account for most of the lurkers)? Or how about the M.easly R.ipclawe type posters, etc... that you know wouldn't be welcomed by most of us here if they post the way they do in the OT. Toning down the anime talk isn't going to encourage every lurker to post more, or even most of them IMO.

Who cares what BCT talks about. Mofos want to impose too many pointless rules. Fuck outta here. There isn't a thing stopping lurkers from joining in on the conversation other than their own lack of spine. Though I will say the quickness in which you cats jumped on that one girl for asking what I see as the typical American view on black people was kind of scust.

I think the primary purpose of religion has always been to explain the unknown. Especially the meaning of human life and death and to give guidelines for what it means to be a good person in our society.

The definition of "unknown" changes by the decade as we learn more things. I can assure you when the bible was written the idea of human nature was unknown by the masses.

I don't really think that "pettiness" is any more prevalent in Religion in comparison to any other social institution, but I think that the more antiquated and unnatural ideals people are expected to adhere to as religious figures might contribute to that perception.(Sexual orientation and abstinence)

Right, which manifests itself as petty issues that people are shamed over. And I think it is more prevalent in religion specifically because the entire point of religion is to be above such. Because everyone is expected to be above such to be considered part of the religious circle (whether that be Christian, Catholic, Muslim, etc). Yes it can manifest in other institutes but you'll see it the most in religion because religion is the biggest institute in the world, and unfortunately at times acts like a echo chamber. It's also one of the few institutes who's laws are slow to change (Which is another reason why new denominations always pop up).

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
You know how it is after church on Sunday while the family sitting around for a meal. We get a little into the discussion. This is just a "past the rolls" moment. Its all good.

LOL

I'm sorry sis

Tis fine

I posted this, sorry to you, Devo or anyone who may have thought this all too succinct rant was directed specifically at women. It was supposed to be more of an indictment on people who do everything in their power to spit in the face of God, but claim to put him first and foremost in their lives. It's the kind of hypocrisy I can't stand, having been raised Christian I at one point actually made an effort to be closer to God, and be Christ like. I don't like that sort of dishonesty, If someone were to acknowledge that they are not perfect but show some semblance of effort towards being a better person(whatever that is), then I respect that.

I understand what you're saying, However, it's worth noting that some people (in regards to religion) really don't know any better. I've come to see that as well as people running to religion to escape faults within themselves.

Religion is a strange thing, and what people do with it is even stranger to me.

I understand what you're saying, However, it's worth noting that some people (in regards to religion) really don't know any better. I've come to see that as well as people running to religion to escape faults within themselves.

Religion is a strange thing, and what people do with it is even stranger to me.

Well said.

I think just about anyone can be really into god but unless you're a monk I'm not really going to believe any "god first" crap.

Also that sexually pure crap wasn't even followed by popes back in the day, it was out of date the moment it was written brehs.

jWILL253

Banned
I always thought the assumption that everyone is a sinner or hypocrite is a logical assumption, but still only an assumption.

Personally, I'd like to think that there are people who believe in not doing off the wall fuck shit, and actually manage to not do off the wall fuck shit, surprisingly.

And regardless of whether or not humans are perfect, impregnable and uncorruptable beings, that doesn't excuse whenever people are hypocrites. If you have a problem with something in your life, solve that shit and move on before it affects you or anybody else in a negative way. Don't be all like "Everyone is an asshole, so why judge me???", as if that excuses you for being an asshole.

I think just about anyone can be really into god but unless you're a monk I'm not really going to believe any "god first" crap.

Also that sexually pure crap wasn't even followed by popes back in the day, it was out of date the moment it was written brehs.

For men. You women need to be pure!

Hey GAF, I totes want to bang this girl...but I found out she's had sex before. Now I see her as someone of low moral character. We made out and she pushed me away…is she a slut?

*eyerolling*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom