• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought the assumption that everyone is a sinner or hypocrite is a logical assumption, but still only an assumption.

It's not an assumption at all. Quite literally the idea is that every single person who has walked or will ever walk this earth is a sinner (and by proxy a hypocrite). If you ever meet someone who isn't then congrats, you met Jesus/God.

For men. You women need to be pure!

Hey GAF, I totes want to bang this girl...but I found out she's had sex before. Now I see her as someone of low moral character. We made out and she pushed me away…is she a slut?

*eyerolling*

We all know what that's really about. Projecting those insecurities. It always has been.

There' are probably dudes crying right this moment that women get more choice in the matter of their sexual partner than they have for centuries.

jWILL253

Banned
It's not an assumption at all. Quite literally the idea is that every single person who has walked or will ever walk this earth is a sinner (and by proxy a hypocrite). If you ever meet someone who isn't then congrats, you met Jesus/God.

Ok, let me rephrase: I believe that it's possible to not be a hypocrite in how you live your life.

I just realized that the whole concept of a sin is dependant on whether or not you believe in religious values to begin with...

We all know what that's really about. Projecting those insecurities. It always has been.

There' are probably dudes crying right this moment that women get more choice in the matter of their sexual partner than they have for centuries.

MRA dudes.

Ok, let me rephrase: I believe that it's possible to not be a hypocrite in how you live your life.

I just realized that the whole concept of a sin is dependant on whether or not you believe in religious values to begin with...

I'd say it's possible to hide your hypocrisy more than anything, that or your list of what you consider a sin is much smaller than what the bible considers one.

Though I am sad you just realized the second point lol. :3

Yep. We're like the sun to their Icarus; they get too comfortable, then too hot, then caught in the straits.

And as I said before, I believe there is something greater. No need to lock it down or shut others out
Soo you shall join me and my worship of Ra! Don't shut him out, you promised. He revolves around us.

Imm0rt4l

This is how PUA's are born. A friend tried to get me to read The Game. It looks like a bible.

Right, still viewing women through the lens of sexual conquest rather than people. Although there are all kinds of shades of this that people do who are uninvolved in that MRA/PUA shit and get highly defensive when called out about it.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=911075

How on earth could ANYBODY think this thread was going to last long?

My only regret is that it was closed before I could flood it with dudes getting their asses slapped...because that would have been totally accepted, right?

Beat me by seconds and hell yeah you can post dudes too. It might not be for me but it's all fair when it comes to ass slaps.

The edit is about any and everyone it applies to. It is total nonsense I definitely agree, but that's human nature. You see that same type of appeal to authority fallacy appear everywhere and that's the point. You can't single out someone because their appeal to authority figure is God when everyone does it. Being religious doesn't magically remove human nature from you. Humans are hypocritical creatures by their very nature and no book/scroll will change that. Everyone is a hypocrite, everyone preaches one thing but does another. I mean parents have a saying "do as I say, not as I do".

Besides whose to say this chick hasn't found god? Maybe her denominations (fitting God and the Word into your lifestyle) allows her to enjoy sex. Once we start talking about who's really Christian and who isn't we arrive firmly in "no true scotsman fallacy" territory and at that point a conversation is pointless. I mean after all as some of you have said, many of these laws were added after the fact as means of controlling the populous and have little to nothing to do with loving God or being closer to him.

I've never heard of such a denomination, but Occam's Razor says she's going by the standard.

You're right about most people being hypocrites, but in this case it's these same people that end up holding back any sort of progress. So I can't see religious hypocrisy in the same lens as other forms of hypocrisy.

Anyways, I'm not judging the promiscuity. That's all good and well. In fact, I don't care what people do for the most part, as long as it's not harmful.

Wow, the thread blew up this morning. I'm not religious, I just try to live my life and respect people who I meet unless they're on some "fuck you" shit.
I said it many OTs ago.

I feel we are probably one of the most lurked threads period. Some cats are waiting in the wings to say some ill shit. But at the same time we got family out there who want nothing more then to join in and contribute to the conversation. Depends on the time of day honestly. On top of all that it has become a damn safe haven for most of us. The nonsense doesnt fly in here. But when some people come in expecting to "fuck with the bucket" they get got. Post haste.

"Everybody wanna be a nigga," etc

I also agree that shutting down that one girl who asked the question was fucked up. People come to the door willing to be educated and we toss them out? Mmph.

There wasn't a single point in my life when I believed even as a kid far as I know/remembered/was told. I'll never grasp why people do in the first place

Sense of belonging. Desire for some sort of afterlife. Hoping there is some grander plan to all this because everything just being some random occurrence can be a scary concept.

I remember someone saying to me there was no societal moral code before the 10 commandments.

I MJ.gif laughed pretty hard.

I hate that shit. The idea that we were just wild animals without religion is a farce. We would have died out a long time ago if we didn't come to mutual understandings quick.

Malyse

Singapore is so stupidly pretty.

the-Lion-City-s-long-term.jpg

travel-world-city-singapore-city-scape-wallpaper-hd-download-singapore-cityscape-singapore-cityscape-photography-cityscape-singapore.jpg

455271_singapur_gorod_1680x1050_(www.GdeFon.ru).jpg

stock-footage-singapore-circa-may-elevated-view-over-singapore-city-centre-and-marina-bay.jpg

Thread related.

Sense of belonging. Desire for some sort of afterlife. Hoping there is some grander plan to all this because everything just being some random occurrence can be a scary concept.

All of this. I told a friend what I believed, and he was like "that's genuinely depressing."

No, it's life. You don't need a reward to not fuck people at every turn.

Religion is whatever, I know people who are religious but still all about equal opportunity. I'll see more sexist crap from dudes in atheist circles sometimes.

like the amazing atheist?

Yeah. I mean religion bashing doesn't suddenly wash away patriarchal ideas that nonbelievers are entrenched in.

True.

That last part pretty much describes GAF. *shrug*

Throw racism in there too. As "enlightened" as some vocal atheists purport to be, social inequities seem to be lost on them unless it involves their favorite past time: shitting on religion. Probably has a lot to do with their demographics.

Kreed

maybe but to go to that next step of religion/spiritualism seems like a crazy jump i can't wrap my head around

Many religious people are brought into churches from birth/before even entering a school. For those people it's not a choice they decided to make one day, it's part of their cultural traditions and overall family acceptance. It's not hard to make that leap when your parents have made it for you.

Most modern day Christians get the bulk of their theology from the Pauline scriptures. Those scriptures announce freedom from the law (Judaic law/OT), but reiterates some of their edects as being useful morality. Hence the shellfish/pre-marital sex divide.

I'd roll my eyes at someone always talking about putting God first and then ignoring basic tenants of its view of moral living. More because I'd view the declaration as bragging or trying to appear a certain way, while not really showing any discipline towards those ideas. MLK was always wildin' but also showed dedication and pereserverence towards doing work very important to God's kingdom. Someone telling me about how much they love God and always talking church shit when I'm not trying to hear it, and then blatantly ignoring basic tenants? Nah, they're lame and are just concerned about me thinking they're "Godly," "a good Christian," or better than me.

I haven't seen imm0rt4l's original post, so I'm just assuming a bit based off of these last two pages.

Most modern day Christians get the bulk of their theology from the Pauline scriptures. Those scriptures announce freedom from the law (Judaic law/OT), but reiterates some of their edects as being useful morality. Hence the shellfish/pre-marital sex divide.

I'd roll my eyes at someone always talking about putting God first and then ignoring basic tenants of its view of moral living. More because I'd view the declaration as bragging or trying to appear a certain way, while not really showing any discipline towards those ideas. MLK was always wildin' but also showed dedication and pereserverence towards doing work very important to God's kingdom. Someone telling me about how much they love God and always talking church shit when I'm not trying to hear it, and then blatantly ignoring basic tenants? Nah, they're lame and are just concerned about me thinking they're "Godly," "a good Christian," or better than me.

I haven't seen imm0rt4l's original post, so I'm just assuming a bit based off of these last two pages.

Well sure.

I'm of two minds about it though since I find some of the basic tenets lacking in basic human understanding so much so that the most "holy" of people couldn't even adhere to them.

Sexual purity to me, even ignoring the obvious gender double standards for a second here, has always seemed like more of a method of control by the powers that be than anything holy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom