• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Thanks guys but I'll be back in a few days. Figure I'll just take some time off to get myself calmed down a bit and I'll be good.

See ya soon and no shit storms while I'm gone or I'm kicking all of you!

@Kreed , yeah that's the one. Just too many people spitting the same nonsense and I can't stomach much more of it. I'm better off catching up on some reading than trying to appeal to all of those guys. GirlGaf tries so hard and we get such little respect in return... it's discouraging.

Slayven

Thanks guys but I'll be back in a few days. Figure I'll just take some time off to get myself calmed down a bit and I'll be good.

See ya soon and no shit storms while I'm gone or I'm kicking all of you!

@Kreed , yeah that's the one. Just too many people spitting the same nonsense and I can't stomach much more of it. I'm better off catching up on some reading than trying to appeal to all of those guys. GirlGaf tries so hard and we get such little respect in return... it's discouraging.
Keep your head up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't even believe that posted named Lolicon

everything is wrong with that person

besada

Banned
Make a case as for why Peter Parker is so great, then. I mean, don't get me wrong. I can appreciate a good guy. I love Superman. Superman is dope and complex as hell. But not Peter Parker.

Okay, this just makes me sad.

Superman is the worst. It's not heroic if nothing can hurt you. Particularly now, in nu52, where there are no parents, and no normal girlfriends to threaten. Essentially, every Superman book is a story waiting on Superman to be slightly less dumb.

Now, let's compare him to Peter Parker. Parker's origin derives directly from his own mistake, unlike Supes, whose origin has nothing to do with him. Pete gets the power, acts like an asshole, and it gets his Uncle killed. Like Batman, he can never bring that person back, but unlike Batman he doesn't become some sort of psychotic monster, rather he puts the weight of the world on his shoulders and does it with a joke on his lips.

That's a fucking hero. They kill his women, he gets back up. They kill his parents, he gets back up. They kill some more of his women, he gets back up. They kill him, stick his worst enemy inside his head, he gets back up.

Whereas Superman is flying around saying "lah-di-dah" with his super-powered girlfriend who may be tougher than he is.

I...man, I just don't know what to say to you, Vince. I thought we were sympatico.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Superman is the worst. It's not heroic if nothing can hurt you. Particularly now, in nu52, where there are no parents, and no normal girlfriends to threaten. Essentially, every Superman book is a story waiting on Superman to be slightly less dumb.

Now, let's compare him to Peter Parker. Parker's origin derives directly from his own mistake, unlike Supes, whose origin has nothing to do with him. Pete gets the power, acts like an asshole, and it gets his Uncle killed. Like Batman, he can never bring that person back, but unlike Batman he doesn't become some sort of psychotic monster, rather he puts the weight of the world on his shoulders and does it with a joke on his lips.

That's a fucking hero. They kill his women, he gets back up. They kill his parents, he gets back up. They kill some more of his women, he gets back up. They kill him, stick his worst enemy inside his head, he gets back up.

Whereas Superman is flying around saying "lah-di-dah" with his super-powered girlfriend who may be tougher than he is.

I...man, I just don't know what to say to you, Vince. I thought we were sympatico.

Spider-Man is trite garbage. The whole "this is why he's a hero" stuff you mentioned is what makes him so cringeworthy.

Superman is a complex dude. Having the weight of not being able to really be killed is huge, sure. Responsibility on a gigantic level. Caretaker of Earth in a way. However his presence makes bad things happen. Are things worse with Superman around or better? What's REALLY his purpose there? Should he leave? Should he go away?

In the meantime, you have Spider-Man trying to take photographs of himself while juggling a girlfriend. Real fuckin' riveting.

I'm not saying Spider-Man isn't a hero. Sure he is. He's an everyday kind of guy just making it in this world. But Superman? That's some goddamn gallantry.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
PM me a link for a starting place, please.

PM sent. Thank you so much for helping

I can't even believe that posted named Lolicon

everything is wrong with that person

And he's only one of them. I can't count how many posts I saw and then there was another black gaffer that was minimizing the issue (as well as black representation too iirc) and it was simply disappointing to see.

Besada's help is very reassuring tho.

@Labor

I'm less upset now (ironically, I prolly should have just talked about it in the first place lol) but I still think I need the break. Even if it's for a day, I could use this time to cool off. But I really appreciate the encouraging words, from all of you. :)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That's the point though, Vince. Spider-Man is a real person under the mask. He's not an alien, or a billionaire, or the chosen one. I loved Spider-Man when I was growing up because I could actually relate to him, both as Peter Parker and as Spider-Man.

Superman is so alien that his real mask is Clark Kent. When he puts on the cape he's being himself. When he wears the glasses he is acting, and he often portrays himself as weak, lacking substance and slow to act. Maybe because that is how he sees humanity.

Don't let them mess with your head too much ishi.

I always feel that this thread and another forum have been the best for talking games without the animosity and 'them v. us'

Absolutely agree.

Eloquently put. Him and Steve are whatsup.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's the point though, Vince. Spider-Man is a real person under the mask. He's not an alien, or a billionaire, or the chosen one. I loved Spider-Man when I was growing up because I could actually relate to him, both as Peter Parker and as Spider-Man.

Superman is so alien that his real mask is Clark Kent. When he puts on the cape he's being himself. When he wears the glasses he is acting, and he often portrays himself as weak, lacking substance and slow to act. Maybe because that is how he sees humanity.

I can't really argue with that. I don't identify with Spider-Man a single bit. Not saying I'm an alien, but that might be why I can't stand that guy at all.

PM sent. Thank you so much for helping

And he's only one of them. I can't count how many posts I saw and then there was another black gaffer that was minimizing the issue (as well as black representation too iirc) and it was simply disappointing to see.

Besada's help is very reassuring tho.

@Labor

I'm less upset now (ironically, I prolly should have just talked about it in the first place lol) but I still think I need the break. Even if it's for a day, I could use this time to cool off. But I really appreciate the encouraging words, from all of you. :)

Yeah, I understand the need for a break.

I had to snap at that dude who was like "I'm black and I don't care derp!" Coon train is never late

Superman is a complex dude. Having the weight of not being able to really be killed is huge, sure. Responsibility on a gigantic level. Caretaker of Earth in a way. However his presence makes bad things happen. Are things worse with Superman around or better? What's REALLY his purpose there? Should he leave? Should he go away?

Spider-Man has the exact same dynamic and existential question of whether or both him being a hero attracts more harm to his family and those around him...

I can't really argue with that. I don't identify with Spider-Man a single bit. Not saying I'm an alien, but that might be why I can't stand that guy at all.

Nice try Vince, but we're onto you now.

Men-in-Black---not-so-far-012.jpg

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Welp they found a paitent with possible signs of Ebola in rva. Nice knowing y'all black gaf.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Spider-Man has the exact same dynamic and existential question of whether or both him being a hero attracts more harm to his family and those around him...

Sure, his whole secret identity was a big deal because people could target his family - but that's kind of small potatoes in my mind compared to Superman attracting god knows what to Earth. I mean, it's not really fair to hate one for being small time and the other for operating on a much larger scale, but uh...I do.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I just always saw Peter Parker / Spider-Man as a person first and foremost. He therefore has to rise to the occasion and faces constant challenge in simply trying to be a hero, not necessarily only from villains and criminals but also from himself. Whereas other superheroes sort of fully embody their iconography, so you have comic arcs and story situations that try and make them feel more human, Spider-Man has always been a person aspiring to be a heroic icon. I don't know if any of that makes sense but that's just the impression I've always gotten that makes Spidey different.

Slayven

So Well Spoken JC

Ishi, take your break. Being out the bucket for a day or two never did anyone any harm. And seriously, when it stops getting fun on gaf, no reason to post on it. Breaks are good. Unfortunately, there will alway she some assholes here, mods can't read minds and predict posts, so I definitely understand stepping back and taking some away time when they annoy you too much.

Best.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

youre really gonna compare pete to nu52 supes? i thought you were cool besada. i dont think supes would sacrifice his wife an unborn child to make a deal with the devil.

They're the best big dogs.

they really are.

Whats the consensus on the new borderlands we like it or nah

Not that far in yet, but liking the writing and they added some new mechanics that are pretty intuitive. Also like how your character actually converses with the NPCs periodically, and not just with themselves.

Chose Nisha and honestly her special isn't that great, but her skill trees look interesting.

Slayven

Not that far in yet, but liking the writing and they added some new mechanics that are pretty intuitive. Also like how your character actually converses with the NPCs periodically, and not just with themselves.

Chose Nisha and honestly her special isn't that great, but her skill trees look interesting.

I chose Athena, and her special isn't that great yet. But Borderlands specials have never been that good until you get really into the trees. But I want those Handsome Jack Gauntlets. Those were so pimp

Malyse

put it here first

ed: nevermind, old man eyes lol

ah, you posted the whole thing, not forcing them to big up the site...

and you responded...

I'm more than willing to stir the pot
still a sadist

Also, I expect that thread to go fully fucking stupid soon.

Malyse

Great piece. I think they should have omitted that last paragraph though. It reviled what should have been an obvious point. Although with all the nonsense that certain threads seem to attract maybe it's not obvious.

Like i said in the thread, people are fucking thick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom