• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The campaign against the PS5 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Tomorrow is going to be a fun day. We don't get events like this in gaming as often as we used to or as often as we would probably like, so I'm pretty excited.

At the same time, I'm sure everyone's aware of something that has been happening the last year or so and what will be amplified tomorrow and in the weeks and months to come; this idea that the PS5 Pro isn't needed.

This will be the first time in gaming history that gamers and journalists make the argument that more powerful gaming hardware isn't needed. It'll be a concerted effort as well, coming especially from outlets who make their money off of comparing zoomed in blades of grass across different machines.

There is no campaign saying a 4090 isn't needed, there's no campaign against any video card on the market, regardless of the price. There is no campaign against the 600 dollar XSX that's only upgrade is a 2TB drive.

There's a lot of reasons why people are against the PS5 Pro and I won't get into those reasons as it relates to consumers (right now), but there is a reason why gaming journalists don't want it. They rely on clicks and views and they're afraid that the clicks and views are going to diminish due to a further imbalance between major console manufacturers. If both Sony and Microsoft were releasing Pro consoles, the narrative would be entirely different; instead, we're going to have to deal with the reality of not only Microsoft supporting the PS5 with games, but the PS5 Pro as well. That's just the reality we're in today.

At the end of the day, it's not a big deal. This doesn't change gaming, it doesn't change the console you purchased whether it be an XSX or a base PS5, but the reality is that these systems are beginning to struggle to play games at the high framerates and high resolutions that we've become accustomed to. They can't deliver 4K60 with fidelity and developers are struggling to deliver experiences that fit that criteria.

The PS5 Pro won't be for everyone, but it will be the definitive console experience for the rest of the generation, regardless of what the media and some with an agenda try to accomplish here. Every game that comes out for the rest of the generation is going to play the best on this system.

For many of us, that's worth more money, well worth it in fact and I think the market will show that there's a lot of us.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Jim Carrey What GIF

Bodom78

Internet noise on any subject should be used for entertainment purposes only.

If people want a new piece of kit then they will buy it and justify it to themselves as they see fit.

FeralEcho

Let's be honest here,it's only needed by the incompetent developers nowadays who can't code a game for shit. PS5 hasn't even unleashed its true power because it has barely been utilized. 90% of its library is cross gen with PS4 even in 2024.

A PRO is unnecesary when in 3 years there's a PS6 coming and we still haven't left cross gen behind lol.

Last edited:

iorek21

I’m sure everyone is very excited with the PS5Pro and are looking forward to playing the next Naughty Dog game around… 2028 or something.

Oh, maybe it’ll get a chance to also run Sucker Punch’s and Bend’s next game sometime in 2027.

Will it be alive by the time a Santa Monica game comes out?

No one would be complaining about the Pro if they knew it would be used by something worthwhile.

Power Pro

IGN executive editor

I'm not going to defend IGN by any means, but come on? Apples and Oranges. I got a PS4 Pro also, but I am one of the people who say a PS5 Pro isn't needed.

It's not that more powerful hardware isn't nice, but maybe they should've taken advantage of the hardware they sold 4 years ago first? So few games did, and now we're saying "oh, but games are gonna look better now!" Ok, but there are hardly any games already JUST for PS5 and not PS4, etc. Yes, there are some, but not many. Also, this generation has had more 60fps games than any before it. The PS4 Pro was needed because 1080p was the max that regular PS4 could do, and 4kTVs were becoming popular, and it gave more games a 60fps mode where there wasn't one.

Cornbread78

Tomorrow is going to be a fun day. We don't get events like this in gaming as often as we used to or as often as we would probably like, so I'm pretty excited.

The PS5 Pro won't be for everyone, but it will be the definitive console experience for the rest of the generation, regardless of what the media and some with an agenda try to accomplish here. Every game that comes out for the rest of the generation is going to play the best on this system.

For many of us, that's worth more money, well worth it in fact and I think the market will show that there's a lot of us.
Yuuuuup. Those who complain about the console warring, also thrive in it.

I just hope I can get my hands on a Pro and not have to battle bots & shithead scalpers to enjoy the better performance

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Let's be honest here,it's only needed by the incompetent developers nowadays who can't code a game for shit. PS5 hasn't even unleashed its true power because it has barely been utilized. 90% of its library is cross gen with PS4 even in 2024.

This just isn't true. It's a myth people like to tell themselves, but the reality is games already push the PS5 to the brink, especially games that are exclusive to this gen and it'll only get worse every year.

A PRO is unnecesary when in 3 years there's a PS6 coming and we still haven't left cross gen behind lol.

Another piece of speculation. PS6 is coming in 3 years? You're sure about that? 2027? Realistically you're looking at 2028 at the earliest and possibly longer than that. So yes, I'll enjoy my pro for the 2nd half of the cycle playing games for years without as many caveats.

Mattyp

Gold Member
You loved the idea of Pro systems when you were able to get a One X. So much that it boosted the entire generation a whole letter grade for you. I'm sorry Microsoft isn't releasing a Pro XSX, but the PS5 Pro has nothing to do with that.
The One X was a total different kettle of fish the original One was underpowered and limiting games compared to the PS4 framerate and resolution wise to a certain large degree.

The PS5 hasn’t even had any ground up games built for it yet taking full advantage of the system and we’re how many years in? We’ll have the pro before the games and I don’t see us seeing the difference between the 5 & Pro comparison wise being noticeable at all.

I wouldn’t buy a pro Xbox either this gen. The next generation should be due out in around 3 years time there will be one or two games that take advantage of it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You loved the idea of Pro systems when you were able to get a One X. So much that it boosted the entire generation a whole letter grade for you. I'm sorry Microsoft isn't releasing a Pro XSX, but the PS5 Pro has nothing to do with that.
And what does me buying a One X over 6 years ago have to do with you complaining about your assumption PS5 Pro not being needed?

You sure seem to get really riled up and defensive about Sony. PS5 Pro isnt even out yet, and youre making claims everyone is against it already. You got warped thinking.

Getting PS5 Pro just for GTA6 cause I'm an impatient SOB that can't wait for the game's PC release lol.

This is a sad thread

Last edited:
it will be the definitive console experience for the rest of the generation, regardless of what the media and some with an agenda try to accomplish here. Every game that comes out for the rest of the generation is going to play the best on this system.

Tell that to my GeForce RTX 4090

Mokus

DF understands better how PS5 hardware can be maxed out then software developers. Should I trust them?

By now these consoles barely can do 1440 at 30fps. I can understand many are satisfied with the base hardware, but plenty of other gamers would pay for something better. And it's not even fortune unlike the GPUs.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think this is a new kind of trolling I’ve never seen. Victim concern trolling, while being #1?

This is something special.

It's a 9 minutes. there are ads on YT longer than that.

At the same time, I'm sure everyone's aware of something that has been happening the last year or so and what will be amplified tomorrow and in the weeks and months to come; this idea that the PS5 Pro isn't needed.

This will be the first time in gaming history that gamers and journalists make the argument that more powerful gaming hardware isn't needed. It'll be a concerted effort as well, coming especially from outlets who make their money off of comparing zoomed in blades of grass across different machines.
There is indeed no need. 90% of developers are not squeezing the most performance out of the machine

There is no campaign saying a 4090 isn't needed, there's no campaign against any video card on the market, regardless of the price. There is no campaign against the 600 dollar XSX that's only upgrade is a 2TB drive.
basically no one is using a 4090 to play games

There's a lot of reasons why people are against the PS5 Pro and I won't get into those reasons as it relates to consumers (right now), but there is a reason why gaming journalists don't want it. They rely on clicks and views and they're afraid that the clicks and views are going to diminish due to a further imbalance between major console manufacturers. If both Sony and Microsoft were releasing Pro consoles, the narrative would be entirely different; instead, we're going to have to deal with the reality of not only Microsoft supporting the PS5 with games, but the PS5 Pro as well. That's just the reality we're in today.
also "gaming jurnos" are console warrior
At the end of the day, it's not a big deal. This doesn't change gaming, it doesn't change the console you purchased whether it be an XSX or a base PS5, but the reality is that these systems are beginning to struggle to play games at the high framerates and high resolutions that we've become accustomed to. They can't deliver 4K60 with fidelity and developers are struggling to deliver experiences that fit that criteria.
and a pro is not going to change that. devs will continue to struggle to deliver the best experice possible.

as a wise man once said:

it's about CHOICE

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally get excited for new systems that comes with new games not for "upgrade" for system I already owned.

If I'm that desperate for graphics that I'm willing to burn money for then I rather get PC.

But who care what anyone else thinks, if you get excited for Pro then more power to you.

Fess

This reads like some preemptive damage control fearing a weak showcase, with far too many words.

I’ll keep thinking I don’t need a PS5 Pro. That’s the mindset I’ll have watching the unveil. My PC is my Pro. But if they manage to impress enough then I’ll get it like many others. No overthinking needed.

RaduN

Everything needs to be overblown these days.

Does all this stem from a burning desire to play the victim? Everyone seems to want to be one lately.

Titles like these are just plain attention seeking, like everything on youtube and tiktom and whatever other crap like that. Notice me senpai and then some.

Boss Mog

... gamers ... make the argument that more powerful gaming hardware isn't needed.
I feel this is an exaggeration, I don't remember anyone except for a few malcontents saying that more powerful hardware isn't needed. Even top AAA games like Elden Ring and FFXVI run like shit on the PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom