• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Pimpwerx

Practice notes:

- I mostly watched the cars going through T9 and T10.
- The Mercs look visibly fast. Both were very planted going through T10, never wiggling like the other cars often did.
- Lewis takes a totally different line through T9 than anyone else. I didn't see him hit the apex once. I kept waiting for him to get there, but he kept overshooting it. He wasn't locking up, so it must've been by design.
- One of the Williams cars was following Hammy around, and I saw that driver also start to skip the apex. I thought it might've been Bottas.
- Speaking of which, Valteri is really late on the brakes, and that Williams looks slightly faster through T9 and T10 than the Ferraris.
- The Red Bull looked to be the second most planted car through that complex of corners. I was thinking they must still have great aero, but you could hear that engine bog more on the climb to T10 than the other engines.
- The Honda sounds like rough shit sprayed through a megaphone. Deepest growl, but sounds like it wants to spit metal chunks through the tailpipe. That car is visibly slow.
- Speaking of which, Manor is terrible. Pay them their appearance fee and send them home forever. Too harsh?
- Pasta doesn't lack for courage. I will spend more time tomorrow watching the brake points, but Pastor broke latest into T15 (final corner). Whereas I saw most cars shut their DRS between 75-90m from the turn, Pastor was going deep between 55-65m based on placement of the 50m and 100m boards. I was impressed. No doubt Lewis could go deeper with that Merc though.

- Contintental drift isn't happening fast enough to make Malaysia a habitable place. Even as an island boy born and raised in the tropics, this place is fucking hot. Being at that circuit might be the closest thing to the surface of the Sun outside of Death Valley. LOL.
- Malaysian roads are hilarious. It's pretty much a free for all with lane markers meaning little to nothing. I don't mind, my driver got me there quickly. Unfortunately, he took me to the wrong entrance, so I had to hail another cab to get me to the right one.
- While standing at the wrong gate for half an hour, I saw most of the team personnel arrive. I think I saw Grosjean. Kinda funny I beat them to the circuit, and I'm just spectating.

- Watched the touring cars practice and qualify. The highlight was a driver in the TCR International Series named F. Yu. That was the name on the car. I chuckled like a schoolkid every time he sent by. I will be rooting for him in qualies and the race.
- In the Malaysian Super Series, there were two cars I thought were Supras, but realize now they're made by Lexus. They were eating other cars alive under braking. I thought for sure they'd get pole, but apparently not. I found it noteworthy, because I thought most time was made up under braking. They had the best brakes from what I saw, but must've been losing lots of time elsewhere.

- Oh yeah, the safety car is FAAAAAAAAAAST...and so is the medic car. Both would give cars in the sports car series some good competition. You really don't appreciate it until you see and hear them in person. Then you realize that under safety car conditions, those cars are still hauling ass.

That's it. I'll post some notes each day. Sorry for the earlier rant, that'll be the only one from me. PEACE.

Orgun

Rant. PEACE.

This is such a shame, you should try going to one of the European races. They seem to be much more organised and yeah as you say get your tickets throug the circuits site.
Going to Spa was one of the most fun road trips/camping/race experiences i've ever had and we only had General admission tickets.

Roughing it with a bunch of germans in a camping site was bloody hilarious.

mclem

CBGHjzfWUAAbwiG.jpg:orig

That is delightful in so many ways.

I'll say buyer beware when ordering from bookf1.com or the official F1 site. While you can say I was foolish for going 3rd party, there was a woman next to me in the same predicament who had ordered her seats through the official F1 website, selecting "best available" only to get shitbinned at an event that most likely isn't sold out.
Unless going with the track directly lets you pick individual seats (I think only a couple of tracks do that for F1) then sadly you'd have had exactly the same thing happen. It's been a problem for years with F1 that they need to fix. That said, some tracks do allocate tickets from best to worst per stand (which is a fairer way to do it)... but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Also, I wouldn't be too quick to judge how busy the stands are based on FP1 / FP2. I've turned up in stands with only ten or twenty other people for FP1, only to see it completely full on race day.

DBT85

I'd quite like the smaller teams to refuse the 5th engine just because Sauber, Force India, Williams and Lotus will be better off with 4 than 5. Lol.

I wonder who brought up the idea?
Horner?

Meanwhile, F1 2015 from Codies is announced:

http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/03/f1-2015/

June, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Awwwww yisssssss!

We know a lot of our fans wanted to play F1 TM 2014 on Xbox One and PlayStation 4, so as well as being the official videogame of the 2015 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP we’re also including the cars, drivers and tracks from the 2014 season as bonus content. All built from the ground up with our updated handling and new game features.

That's pretty sweet!

I want some better collision physics though :I

Lach

That reminds me. I wanted to do a F1 2011 - 2014 playthrough (one season each). Skipping 2010 because it doesn't support my wheel :(

Looking forward to F1 2015, my last F1 game was 2012. Hopefully the game will turn out to be more exciting than how this season is looking like it's going to be.

xrnzaaas

I'm not holding my breath... every game released by Codemasters recently was a big disappointment for me. But I guess it's better than nothing. F1 is losing in popularity and I doubt that any other bigger studios would be interested in (over)paying for an official license.

Ruruja

Back from the track. I'm not very pleased with my first F1 experience. The customer feedback I just left bookf1.com will explain it:

Couldn't you have just sat elsewhere?

When I went to Silverstone, on FP1, 2 and 3 you could go to whichever seat/stand you wished on a general admission ticket as long as nobody was sitting there. Nobody from security is going to come along and ask you to go back to seat 42A or whatever. During Qualifying and Race however, we did have to find a nice grassy knoll to stand/sit at.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
It's good Manor was able to run. Hopefully they'll also be within 107%. At least Stevens could ask for dispensation based on FP2.

DD

Well, if it's is true that he raised his voice against Arrivabenne, and was fired by him, he didn't had much choice, did he?

Ark

Is it just a fine, or are they just 100% banned from any helmet design changes during the season? I can't remember.

Either way, that is one sexy helmet.

Is it just a fine, or are they just 100% banned from any helmet design changes during the season? I can't remember.

Either way, that is one sexy helmet.

I think when Vettel made that comment about being willing to pay a fine he was just speculating. The rule was brought in mainly to help race promoters advertise races with accurate driver identities etc. As I've said before, it makes sense and I'm in favour of it.

Staab

So, qualifying at 10, race at 8, good times for Europe :D
Looking forward to tomorrow, I hope the rain mixes it up some and we don't get a boring procession again.

Hasney

Tomorrow should be immense. f! quali, then grocery delivery including wasabi popcorn and before 1pm brand new TV. Fun times.

Mohonky

This shit with Renault and Redbull is hilarious.

Redbull - if we dont start winning, we're going to leave F1
Renault - not if we leave F1 first!

Man, toys being thrown everywhere. They go 1 year without dominating and they look pretty rusty this season and everyone is giving up. What a pack of spoilt shits.

dubc35

So, qualifying at 10, race at 8, good times for Europe :D
Looking forward to tomorrow, I hope the rain mixes it up some and we don't get a boring procession again.

2am qualy, midnight race here. I'll be watching them later. I could probably watch the race but would be destroyed on Sunday. #oldman

This shit with Renault and Redbull is hilarious.

Redbull - if we dont start winning, we're going to leave F1
Renault - not if we leave F1 first!

Man, toys being thrown everywhere. They go 1 year without dominating and they look pretty rusty this season and everyone is giving up. What a pack of spoilt shits.
Agreed, although I'm loving it. I don't dislike RBR but they're doing a good job of making me actively like them less. Horner probably wants out so he can slay Bernie and take his role.

stryke

And a real-time 12-hour race in iRacing
Sounds insane, but it'll be super fun.

My predictions are pretty similar to last week's.

I wouldn't be too surprised with these results, although I'd probably put the Red Bulls down a peg. I reckon Bottas can outdo them both.

Mastah

And now Button lost his first engine. So much for Honda running with conservative settings, so engines won't be damaged :/

Hasney

Pizza ordered, let's do this.

Really hoping for at least a Rosberg pole/race win otherwise I'll fear him being Webbered.

Top Bottom