• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

DBT85

He's trying too hard. Different breathing technique in corners and now this? At the end of the day what really matters is talent and this is something which won't change.

Talent is nothing on it's own.

He says he has a problem with sweat getting in his eyes apparently.

He's trying too hard. Different breathing technique in corners and now this? At the end of the day what really matters is talent and this is something which won't change.
That breathing technique kills me. He's trying to become a Ripple master like Caesar Zeppeli.

untitled-1cfujh.gif

jambo

It's great to have Alonso back! Shame the McLaren seems to be as slow as it was in Australia.

Yeah =S

"The Spaniard's McLaren is surrendering around 20km/h to its rivals in the first sector speed trap - although it is more evenly matched in sectors two and three." -Formula1.com

jambo

Lewis Hamilton has stopped at Turn 9.

The Mercedes is pointing in the right direction, indicating a potention car fault rather than a spin.

The world champion clambers out of his car as marshals swoop in to swiftly remove his F1 W06 Hybrid from the track. Nightmare start to the weekend for Hamilton.

7Ml7sdN.jpg

Not what you want.

EDIT: "Hamilton incidentally said he could have made it back to the pits, but Mercedes instructed him to stop on track given he's currently using a race engine." -Formula1.com

It's great to see both the Ferrari drivers pedaling it. Last year they looked like a couple of guys trying to run a marathon with clown shoes on.

RoKKeR

It's great to see both the Ferrari drivers pedaling it. Last year they looked like a couple of guys trying to run a marathon with clown shoes on.

Yeah, having them in the mix is going to make things really interesting this year.

Also, here's the helmet Lewis would have worn this weekend had it not been for the dumb ass helmet ban:

It's hard to express how fucking stupid that rule is.

Mastah

Talent is nothing on it's own.

He says he has a problem with sweat getting in his eyes apparently.

Of course, but he's been driving in F1 driver since 2006. Am I suppose to believe it became issue only now, when F1 is much less physical, due to refuelling ban and especially Pirelli 'cruise mode' tyres? Nope, not buying it. It's all about creating image of someone doing super-duper smart stuff.

Good session for McLaren. No reliability problems, lot of laps, quite a big improvement being made since Australia and on top of that Fernando after driving only slightly more than 500 kilometres in that car is immidiately quicker than Jens. I'm satisfied.

Also good to see Marussia back on track. With one car within 107% it's also looking positive for them so far.

Mastah

Andreas Haupt ‏@andihaupt1 1m1 minute ago

#F1: Hamilton stopped because of a problem with the inlet system of the engine. #Mercedes must change the broken piece. But engine is fine.

Hasney

Okay let me rephrase.

Why has Verstappen been slower than Sainz in the past practice sessions and 1 qualifier?

Just wondering..

Because he's not as fast? Because he was signed as one for the future and not to be the fastest right now? I mean, there's no way to know this early.

Dilly

Banned
Okay let me rephrase.

Why has Verstappen been slower than Sainz in the past practice sessions and 1 qualifier?

Just wondering..

I really don't get what you're trying to do here, who is going to draw conclusions on practice sessions and 1 qualifier?

Zeknurn

@adamcooperF1: Cyril Abiteboul now saying he didn't say that Adrian Newey lied... Not the first time an F1 bigwig has changed his tune
Haha fucking Renault.

@adamcooperF1: Christian Horner adamant that Red Bull still wants to be in F1 - but admits that sourcing an engine could become a problem in the future
@adamcooperF1: Cyril Abiteboul says Renault has looked at all options for the future, including pulling out of F1
@adamcooperF1: Matthew Carter says @Lotus_F1Team is not for sale and Mercedes deal running to 2020 means no return to Renault
@tgruener: #F1 New engine rules agreed on in strategy group. Has to be approved by all teams to be introduced immediately. So it's not quite done yet.
@tgruener: #F1 Conditions attached to return to 5 PUs per season: Teams have to guarantee more running in free practice. Customers have to pay more.
The strategy group looking out for just the front runners as usual.

Aiii

So not worth it
I really don't get what you're trying to do here, who is going to draw conclusions on practice sessions and 1 qualifier?

Plus he has been quicker than Sainz. He was quicker in Q1 last race, had a moment in Q2 so didn't make Q3 (but that's hardly pace related, now is it?) and his race pace on Medium tires was outstanding and insanely consistent until he had to exit due to a mechanical failure.

And that's all ignoring the fact that there's a vast difference in experience in Formula cars too, there's barely a difference between them even at this point considering that.

Spades

Also, here's the helmet Lewis would have worn this weekend had it not been for the dumb ass helmet ban:

It's hard to express how fucking stupid that rule is.

Personally, I have zero problem with the rule. There has always been a rule in F1 around keeping car liveries consistent from the first race to the last, and extending it to driver lids makes perfect sense. For marketing reasons, you want to keep everything as consistent and recognisable as possible.

As Vettel suggested, what they should do is allow drivers to wear alternate designs, fine them for breaking the rules and donate all of the fine money to charity.

Pimpwerx

Back from the track. I'm not very pleased with my first F1 experience. The customer feedback I just left bookf1.com will explain it:

"I was disappointed to find that the Topaz ticket I purchased early for the Malaysian GP were placed in the worst part of the grandstand, despite the event not being sold out.

I went to customer service, and they told me they couldn't change my seat. They said I could downgrade for free to Citrine, or I could pay the difference between the early bird ticket and the full price to move my seat.

So what was the point in buying tickets early? I feel I got a far worse deal by trying to do the right thing and purchase early. This is not acceptable. I've never experienced such blatant disregard for a customer in any sporting event.

I filed a formal complaint. I asked for a copy so I could mail it to bookf1.com as well as someone at FOM. Something needs to be done about this, because in 22 years of watching F1, my first live race experience has so far been the worst F1 experience of my life. In these times of social media, and with attendance and viewership waning, this is not the sort of thing that builds confidence in a product or in a 3rd party vendor such as this site. I was going to get tickets to the USGP this year, but not if this is the way it works. This is how you sour fans on a sport. This is not how this sport is going to right itself and return to prominent.

Please let me know what can be done. I want to do the responsible thing and sit in the seat I paid for, but not when I can't see any of the action. I have an excellent view of the support paddock, but I bought these tickets and flew all the way from the US so I could see the F1 cars. Please help me resolve this situation. I am very disappointed in my experience with bookf1.com."

I'll say buyer beware when ordering from bookf1.com or the official F1 site. While you can say I was foolish for going 3rd party, there was a woman next to me in the same predicament who had ordered her seats through the official F1 website, selecting "best available" only to get shitbinned at an event that most likely isn't sold out. It's not like I'm asking to move a group, I'm an individual ticket, and there are most certainly individual seats still available, as the customer service rep said he could sell me one for the different of the price. So what's the reason one ticket can't be voided and a new one reissued for a customer who paid for that section of the grandstand? All the Topaz seats are the same price. There's no reason I couldn't get a better seat. I have no TV in front of me, and all I have a great view of is the support paddock and the final turn onto the back straight. I took a panoramic shot from my seat. I might post it later.

Anyway, in this day of social media, this isn't the way you run an event. They have no clue who I am. I could be someone with a huge twitter following who'd then roast not only bookf1, but the circuit and FOM too. I recently got a position as a freelance writer for Florida National News, and I'm supposed to cover the Miami Heat for them. I was going to write a long feature on Hassan Whiteside when I got back, but quite frankly, the only thing I'm motivated to write about now is my experience at this event, and how it's a reflection of the nesr-arcane manner in which the sport is run. How is it that the first race I attend in person is the single worst F1 experience I've had in over 20 years of watching the sport? Should I really be encouraged to ever attend another race? It's soured me to that point.

I sacrifice a third of my weekends every year to get up early to watch qualies and the race, because I'm a fan. I spent 20 hours on planes this week, flying halfway around the world to see this race live, because I'm a fan. I was ready to purchase flights and tickets to the USGP, because I'm a fan. I'm probably never attending an F1 race ever again now...because I'm a fan. Sitting at home watching my recording on my DVR, and never giving another penny to anyone or thing associated with this sport is probably the best thing a fan can do. Let the sport's management join us in the 21st century before donating to the circus.

That said, if you do plan on going to a race live, buy your tickets through the circuit website. They let you select your seats there. This isn't even an option for FormulaE, I don't think. You lot will remember my similarly baffling issue with my seats for the MiamiGP, but that event was hampered by the track layout and grandstand placement, not some stupid clerical nonsense. I at least managed to get placed in a low row and seat, but bushes were in my way. In this case, I'm sitting at the ass end of the back straight, with tons of empty seats occupying the rest of the sections. That ends my rent. I'm probably going to write a long-ass op-ed when I get back. I got a copy of my complaint form, so I can mail it around. If nothing else, I want the satisfaction of knowing in at least tried to let my voice be heard.

I'll talk about the actual practice in my next post. Sorry, I had to vent. PEACE.

Top Bottom